• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbEMX

While there are some major red flags with Switch, there are some nice things like the games or the fact that they didn't ditch 5.1 surround sound. We will see if they will fall back on those shitty online plans.

GOOCHY

This game reminds me of one of those Unreal Engine 4 "look what I did!" Mario demos...

That thought immediately crossed my mind when I saw the city portion that seemed wholly disconnected from the rest of the game stylistically. Seems like amateur hour. Great art and consistency is usually Nintendo's hallmark.

You need to establish a coherent art design for your game. What is it? How do things look? What colors are used? All of this needs to be decided at the outset and traditionally Nintendo has been pretty good at handling the Mario franchise when it comes to establishing an art style that works.

This demo reminds me of one of those Unreal Engine 4 "look what I did!" Mario demos because both are just a bunch of shit thrown everywhere without anything to really pull it all together. Even the non-NYC levels looked bland and uncompelling. It harkens back to another era (The Dreamcast era!) where strong art design wasn't or couldn't be prioritized in most cases.

Oh and the UE4 demos look better

Something about the level design just looked super sparse and bland compared not just to Galaxy but even Super Mario Sunshine.

And yeah like you say, aesthetically all over the place. I mean something of the Jules Verne steampunky stuff looked good but it totally jarred with the Fisher Price Mexican world and the "early PS3 era C list open world New York City game" city world.

Utterly shocked to see this from Nintendo.

KiDdYoNe

That was sad.
Xenoblade 2 looks bad, I was thinking the first one looked better when I was watching the trailer.
Unfortunatelly for me, that was a good concept with Nintendo as the guys behind the thing. We all know what that means and Switch is not an exception. Not sure about specs, but they seem low. I was hoping for $250 which would put me in some consideration but $300 is just too much. Also local pricings are up and Switch will be $380. I just got myself a PS4 Pro for $470.

Maybe some day when it will drop to $200 or something like that, but at this point it is a no go for me. Even with new No More Heroes.

For the first time I was kinda hyped for Nintendo but now it feels weird.

sonto340

IMO Mario looked absolutely revolting. We thought it was a preview for Crazy Taxi. Yikes.

Zelda looked really cool though. The conference as a whole was a clumsy mess, and the Aussie pricing is a disaster.
Why do people keep acting like the Mario trailer was only the city.
There was so much diversity shown in the level designs

Cheebo

Banned
Just read the Eurogamer article. Let me see if I got this right: 280 pounds, paid signature service to play online, 2.5 hours battery life, "free" games which comes down to Nes/Snes and only for 1 month.

What the hell Nintendo??

I'll keep my 3DS and wait it's true scuccessor.

Switch is without question the successor to 3DS. Nintendo going forward has two platforms. Switch and Mobile.

Jobbs

Banned

IMO everything looked terrible, the city is just the most egregious part

Mario lives in Mushroom kingdom. He's a truly bizarre character design, like most Mario characters, but it works as long as you keep it colorful and whimsical. I don't want to be reminded of real life. The instant you put Mario in a grey city setting with real people the tissue rejection I experience is absolutely real -- and completely alienating.

because it stuck out so much, and in the worse way Imaginable.
When they have artists and designers capable of creating the galaxy games not so long ago it's unbelievable and frankly shocking coming from nintendo.

Mikey Jr.

If you are buying the switch at launch, more power to you.

But that presentation didn't convince me at all.

Launch lineup sucks. Zelda is the saving grace here, but I'll get it for the wiiu.

But I look at the game lineup for 2017, and besides Mario and maaaaaaybe Xenoblade, switch falls into the same problem wiiu had. What's next?

And third party didn't convince me. Sega was just a logo and a promise. Ea was just stupid fifa. SE's game looked really low budget.

So yeah, this is a "wait and see" console for me. I have a prediction though. Fifa will sell like dogshit and ea will peace out again.

sanstesy

People forget how the 3DS launched in the first place in 2011. This is almost exactly a repeat of that situation minus the online paywall.

Zedark

I am completely torn about the Switch right now. On the one hand, I am sure I will get it this year, since Zelda, Mario and Xenoblade looked amazing to me. Zelda especially has been wowing me lately. On the other hand, the first few months of the system seem quite barren to me. Zelda is great, and I want MK8 Deluxe, but beyond that there is nothing for me there. Now, the question for me is: do I get it at launch so I can play Zelda, later on MK8 and maybe something else, or should I wait until the fall and wait for Mario and Xenoblade? I don't know yet, but I hope some more titles will be revealed so I can be persuaded to buy at launch.

Coffinhal

I used to think like that too. But with 2.5 hours no one in the right mind is gonna get a Switch to play on the go.

The first 3DS was about 3 to 4 hours, and that's what Zelda could deliver

Also the big news is external batteries, that changes everything and people are used to it. That's almost the most exciting news I've heard

What's the situation with online multiplayer in the UK/EU?

Is it available from launch until November for free and then paid for, or is it not available at launch? Something I read on EG seemed to indicate it wouldn't be there for launch, but that can't be right, can it?

cpdqQto.gif

WoKDWvO.gif

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
People forget how the 3DS launched in the first place in 2011. This is almost exactly a repeat of that situation minus the online paywall.
Yes, and that's not a good thing. Nintendo needed to hit the ground running with this thing. They need a success out of the gate. Maybe it can recover like he 3DS did. If Nintendo weren't idiots it wouldn't have to. Switch with its current lineup and price will bomb, and bomb hard.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
remember when mario flew through a surrealistic space backdrop twinkling with disney-esque stars only to land on gigantic orbiting crispy apples, traversing between them through the magic of gravitational slingshots as a colossal hyper green worm devoured its way through each celestial fruit, and the wonders of limitless imagination defiant of conventional physics and proportions excited as to what delightful oddities and colours and magical setpieces would await in the next stage

32159368581_8d66d0f97tdulr.jpg

oohhhhhhhh

Kssio_Aug

Also the big news is external batteries, that changes everything and people are used to it. That's almost the most exciting news I've heard

And those external batteries are gonna be sold solely by Nintendo?
I didn't know that... it makes things less atrocious. But it's still pretty bad! 2.5 hours (or extra money for some more) + expensive console + online paywall + strong competition.

I was positive before the reveal. But giving the circunstances I honestly don't know why Nintendo would expect new players jumping in this time. They're offering nothing big here... only a super expensive console that clearly won't master either it's table form nor it's handheld.

I was expecting 250 dollars price point (to make people really interested), and 4~6 hours of battery life. Also, I wasn't expecting an online paywall.

down 2 orth

Trying to emulate Iwata is all well and good but when you've got an old stone faced guy that clearly isn't fit for standing in front of mute crowds...

That guy looks like a total sociopath, not the eccentric outlier management that has defined Nintendo's image for so long. He's going to tank the company, I just hope he doesn't do it intentionally Nokia/Blackberry style.

Because the rest didn't look great either. Something was very off about it. Almost fan made and lacked the Mario magic you usually get from the mainline games.

sanstesy

Yes, and that's not a good thing. Nintendo needed to hit the ground running with this thing. They need a success outbof he gate. Maybe it can recover like he 3DS did. If Nintendo weren't idiots it wouldn't have to. Switch with its current lineup and price will bomb, and bomb hard.

Of course it isn't a good thing. Contrary to a lot of posts in this thread it is not a unrecoverable situation by any means, though.

Flipside

I'm really unsure what to do with my pre-order.

I really like Nintendo. Amongst other consoles, I also own a Wii U with most of the first party library and I really liked both the console and the games. I really hope I won't be 'punished' for supporting Wii U by getting a lot of 'remasters' or deluxe editions of games I already played.

On one hand I really want the best Zelda experience but the rest of the value proposition is just so mediocre that I don't really know if I should shell out 500 Euro's for it :/ I was extremely excited for the Mario reveal and I was hoping for a Mario 64 sequel of sorts but this just seems terrible to me at the moment. And trust me I really want to like it :(

Kssio_Aug

I don't know if I should buy this or find a used Wii U to play Zelda BotW.. that's how disappointed I am.

I actually feel the same way. But I definitely won't buy Switch, except maybe MUUUUCH later when the console drops it's price and I can evaluate the games released on it.

The positive thing about this reveal though is that Wii U may drop the price a little (at least the used ones).

It was a massive disappointment.

I'll just get zelda on the Wii U. I'll doubt it'll be much different.

I don't even have a wii u to get zelda on so just going to have be a mature adult and wait for an appropriate time to buy the switch. They can probably recover but the launch isn't going to do as well as they would want it to.

Okay, I'm not convinced that a lot of the people shittitng on the presentation are just trolling.
See me back when common sense will have returned.

That section looked great, if the rest of the game had that kind of nintendo magic approach to creative art design then i'd be all in.
But that city section looked so bad that i'm baffled why nintendo included it not only to show off the next big 3d mario title, but also to show off a new console.
They really should have cut out the city sections from the video until they either come to their senses or fix it up somehow.

Steejee

My overall take was pretty positive. The presentation itself seemed to run on the knife's edge between awesome and atrocious, but distilling it down to the fundamentals:

Games:
- Zelda - Yeah I was sold after that trailer. It could be the only game on the system for the first two months and I'd be happy.
- ARMS - Looked like it would be a lot of fun, curious how well it translates into a full price game. They made Splatoon work, and Wii Boxing was a lot of fun in a basic way, and this is Nintendo, creators of the Punch-Outs, so hopefully it's something cool.
- 1-2-Switch - As someone said it looks a bit like Spin the Bottle (the WiiU game) - Hard to really peg the minigame collections from a trailer, but both Nintendoland and Wii Sports were great games that demonstrated the system well so I'll have faith for now.
- Xenoblade 2 - Fuck yeah. Dunno if I like the character art yet, and I wish it was an X sequel, but I'll take it.
- FE Musou - Sunk way too many hours into Hyrule Warriors, no doubt will do the same here. Still, would like a 'console' FE again.
- SMT V - Haven't all the SMT games been handheld games before now? I think SMTV is a pretty clear demonstration of the benefits of merging the platform. Still haven't beaten SMTIV, but hyped for this.
- FIFA - Don't care, but maybe EA will actually try to use the system's features this time around. Monkey's could fly out of my butt too though... Bigger question is whether EA is going to bring other games over.
- Skyrim - Long done with Skyrim PC, holds no appeal to me, good to see Bethesda putting it there though.
- NMH3 - Niiiice, though clearly a long ways off.
- Mario - Looked damned nice. A little unsure of the 'Real life' world he visits, but at least it looks like it won't just be fire world, ice world, etc, and the other worlds shown looked cool. Definite buy.
- Kart, Fast Racing NEO, etc - can't judge much from the sizzle real, but there were a few in there I could see getting.

Other -
- I'm fine with price, didn't expect $250, $300 is worth around $230 when the GameCube came out, and given the portable setup is more than fair.
- Paid Online - Ugh. Seemed inevitable, and features so far don't seem grand. Hope not everything is locked behind the paid version. FU MS for starting this thing.
- Joy-Cons - Very curious about the HD Rumble. Seem pretty small but they sorta need to be if you're going to be using them on the go.
- Power levels - Both disappointing and not... it's like a portable super-WiiU (which is awesome) but clearly is lacking compared to XB1/PS4 still (which is not awesome). I guess that's just reality of tech limitations coming into play.
- Battery life - 2.5-6 - Means it could be a bit on the short side at times, but I can live with that range even at the shortest if it's during super-heavy load. Especially since most of my 3DS gaming is during either travel (and most planes have plugs) or at home (wall socket). They did mention being compatible with external batteries.

Overall, it didn't blow my mind, but I'm happy with what I saw. As someone who's basically been Nintendo + PC for over a decade, it looks like I'll be carrying that on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Like proper clip on external batteries? That'd actually be pretty good because after I got bored of tethering my WiiU to a charger, I bought a bigger battery.

I'll probably play switch 50:50 TV:handheld so 3 hours battery life is not good. But now I'll want a new dock so I can play on TV with the battery still attached

RibMan

Skimmed through it, looked pretty boring... like what the heck was that EA guy there for?

I'm guessing EA wanted to have the Frostbite "face" on stage. It sends a much more believable message of platform support than just having an exec -- one with no coding and development job -- announce a game for Switch.

While there are legitimate concerns like controllers pricing, I am convinced that the majority of people have no interest in the device and just want to complain or just had unreasonable expectations.

BTW just like Nintendo Land, 1 2 Switch looks amazing, it might not be the system seller wii sports was, but I'm sure I'll have a blast playing it with friends.

No, I think it's the opposite. I think the majority of people have an interest in the successor to the Wii U + 3DS, and the reason they're disappointed is because the presentation had more negatives than positives.

One thing I appreciated about the game trailers is the apparent lack of CG to suggest what the games will look like. Very apparently in game footage. No b.s. I'm not very pleased with peripheral pricing, but the switch itself is okay

100% agreed. More companies need to just show their game and not CG or fake footage that won't be anywhere close to what the final game looks like.

I just don't get Nintendo's business strategy. The Switch seems like it's being made to preach to the choir. We know the saturation of loyal Nintendo fans when you look at about 10 million Wii U's sold and 8 million copies of Mario Kart sold on the system. These are the people who will buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo games, the guaranteed market.

I honestly don't see Switch doing much better than the Wii U as it currently stands.

Sure, they have the handheld element, but the battery life for most of the games is looking to be around 3 hours which isn't ideal. The console is too big and fragile to appeal to the kids market that the DS/3DS so successfully appeals to, and Nintendo have shown little in the way of proper handheld games, they seemed to focus on console style games from what I could see. I was expecting a lot of focus on indie tablet style games, the kind of stuff absolutely EVERYONE'S kids are playing on iPads and iPhones, not a sign of anything like that.

They've got a console with niche appeal and a focus on a gimmick you just know only 3 games will ever actually use, which has helped bump up the price to more than the vastly more powerful competition. In doing so and with an underpowered console third party support looks like it will be just as anaemic as the Wii, WiiU etc.

So WHO are they selling this to, those 10 million people? Do they not want to grow their business? Nintendo consoles are the only place you can get Nintendo games, but they're trying their damnedest to push people away who are not fully in on Nintendo. Rather than appealing to a wider market (and gaming is a HUGE market) they seem happy to cater to their hardcore base, practically holding them hostage by forcing them to buy their new hardware periodically. They get very little else for their purchase, few 3rd parties, poor online services now even worse that it's being charged for. Just imagine a console you could get all your third parties AND get Nintendo's best games, thing would easily be performing at least as well as an Xbox One. As it is it's going to be another flop. How much longer can a company be so pig headed and arrogant while there's money sitting on the table if only they gave customers what they wanted.

I think you hit the nail on the head, and to answer your question, I think the Switch is attempting to (successfully) achieve the Wii U goal of going after both casuals and core gamers. We know how the Wii U turned out, but I believe Nintendo should target both core and casual gamers to make their hardware successful. That said, the product they're presenting seems to miss the mark on both, and -- just being honest -- the Switch looks like a mishmash of outdated ideas.

I'm feeling a disconnect between the reactions of people who are in the media and youtubers and stuff and people I actually know/talk to.

To me and everyone I know, the presentation was really weak with the only good thing about it being Zelda, which we already knew looked good. Mario is a disaster. It's shockingly stupid.

..Meanwhile, every reaction video I've watched so far is overwhelmingly positive.

What's the be positive about besides Zelda? The lineup is flimsy as hell, Mario looks terrible, online is pay (and insultingly offers you rentals of NES and SNES roms as incentive) and the console costs more than expected.

I'd argue that it's one of three things that's happening:

1) Folks liked what they saw and are genuinely excited about what they announced.

2) Folks who are posting reaction videos are possibly "influencers', and they know that review units aren't sent to overwhelmingly negative YouTubers.

3) Folks who didn't like what they saw don't care enough to do a reaction video.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Vita had a great lineup of games, a good price(minus memory cards) and free online. Reincarnation of Vita this is not.

I'm so depressed. Gonna take a while to get over this. I really thought Nintendo were gonna get this right.

I ended up going to sleep 20 minutes into the stream since it was pretty late for me.

I'm not happy with the specs. There are certain games I'm interested in but for $300 I expected more power. I could overlook the paid online if the specs were better but I don't think the Switch makes sense for my gaming budget.

I think die hard Nintendo fans will like the Switch but I question decisions made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom