• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct 11.1.2018 + Nintendo Treehouse: Live Presentation

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Literally no one said it's a Nintendo-only problem. But it's perfectly reasonable to be angry at Nintendo/Bandai for following suit.

Also, it's the Super Smash Brothers ULTIMATE - Base Edition. Any way you slice it, its super dumb.

The point is that Killer's sole purpose on this forum seems to be to bash Nintendo, and it's getting tiresome. There's a good reason he's complaining about it here and not in any threads dedicated to those other games.

Ultimate is literally just a subtitle, it doesn't mean a thing. They're not advertising it as the ultimate "edition" of a game as you said two posts ago, but you realised that in the post after. It could be called Super Smash Bros. Scuffle and it'd be exactly the same.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It should be noted that characters like Piranha Plant are sometimes still in development when the game is finalized for printing physical copies. They'd still have time between then and launch to continue working on it. They'd patch in the final details on launch day or when it's launched later.

There's always a lot of hubbub about this situation but it's usually pretty complicated. Though, that usually isn't something fans care much about typically.

I wish we could have had a situation like this for Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Him becoming a Mii fighter clone is criminal.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
who cares if they are still developing characters? are we supposed to not want game companies to support games post launch now?

Shouta

I wish we could have had a situation like this for Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Him becoming a Mii fighter clone is criminal.

From what Sakurai said it, seems like they've been planning this since after they were done with stuff for Smash 4. So it would make sense XB2 wouldn't be on their radar. A shame in that case.

Killer751

Banned
The point is that Killer's sole purpose on this forum seems to be to bash Nintendo, and it's getting tiresome. There's a good reason he's complaining about it here and not in any threads dedicated to those other games.

Ultimate is literally just a subtitle, it doesn't mean a thing. They're not advertising it as the ultimate "edition" of a game as you said two posts ago, but you realised that in the post after. It could be called Super Smash Bros. Scuffle and it'd be exactly the same.

Uh, did you miss the thread where I brought up that I refuse to buy fighting games in general unless they have all the DLC?

I criticize lots of different companies (The way Rockstar has handled RDR2 comes to mind) but NO ONE is as defensive as NIntendo fans. I personally feel as if I am being perfectly reasonable here... I genuinely believe that Sakurai is being misleading when he says things like 'the DLC hasn't begun development yet.'

For anyone complaining about the price - if you preorder from Best Buy you get $10 in rewards. You can then buy the DLC later and use the $10 to get the whole thing for $75. Of course, anyone who still has GCU makes out even better - only $63 (plus tax).

I'm not a fan of DLC (never bought any for the Wii U / 3DS Smash) but it's not outrageous.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I genuinely believe that Sakurai is being misleading when he says things like 'the DLC hasn't begun development yet.'

That's because he is. It's an empty statement. They probably already have a rough idea on what they are putting in those DLC packs but are focusing on the Piranha Plant first which as of now is DLC content. Which they are finishing development on. Therefore DLC is indeed in development stages.

It's just that right now for the full DLC fighter packs they have nothing to show. Which is what his statement basically means.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Who cares it's fucking over. Fuck Nintendo characters because they don't want them as DLC. Enjoy Minecraft Steve, Granblue Fantasy, Dragon Quest characters. Nevermind it being a game celebrating Nintendo anymore. Your ballots? They mean absolute shit to Sakurai.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72623332
How is it that they go from fan favorites from the start only to shit over everyone else later on? Ultimate my ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

RK128

My bets for the DLC after combing through the spirits (lets be real, if they highlight a character being a spirit/mii fighter costume, they aren't getting in via Fighter Pass) and Assist Trophies.

Banjo - He got trademarked recently and his game was listed on the leaked line up for N64 Classic that's supposedly going to be announced this month. If anyone that's third party has a shot, it's him. More so considering how friendly Microsoft is with Nintendo and how they would more than happily enjoy a cut of DLC sales.

Ubisoft Character - Peach Rabbid was shown off as a spirit and with how friendly Nintendo & Ubisoft are lately (great sudo-Starfox game with Starlink and Mario + Rabbids being a success), I would legit be shocked if Rayman or one of there other franchises doesn't get a DLC slot for the fighters pass.

Bandai-Namco Rep/Tales of Character - I am really thinking someone from these guys is part of the DLC. They developed Smash for a long while and it's been reported that before Pac-Man was finalized, someone from Tekken was supposed to be added into Smash 4. So the fact we aren't getting another rep from them in the base roster of Ulitmate is a bit surprising honestly. I think that a Tales of Character is the most likely considering how popular the series is in Japan. As for which character, I'm not sure. But someone from the series is pretty likely.

Sora or Dragon Quest Character - Vergibn has been right thus far leak wise and his final roster picks were correct (Ken and Inncenaroar). So I'm willing to believe that a Square rep is picked out for DLC. Geno isn't happening, simply because he's a spirit and until proven otherwise, his Mii Fighter Costume is in Ultimate. That means he has 'no reason' to be made into a full playable character. Logically speaking then, a character from Square that is going to be getting a HUGE game soon (Sora) or a character from it's most iconic franchise in Japan (DQ) has a shot.

Nintendo IP Character - I can't pin-point who this would be, simply because everyone is off the list. Skull Kidd is still an AT, Issaic is an AT again, Spring Man is an AT, a ton of characters are Spirits (like the girl from #FE), and odd ball picks like Custom Robo and Chibi Robo (even more expected picks like Rex) are Mii Fighter Costumes. So I'm at a complete lost at WHO the Nintendo Fighter will be. It's gotta be someone from the past with cult appeal (Startropics?) or a newer character during the Wii U Era (Wonder Red perhaps?).

iconmaster

Banned
Okay, I've really warmed up to Incinearoar. He's got a tremendous amount of personality, and the pro wrestler archetype was something we haven't had in Smash yet. If they're gonna add a Pokémon, he's a great choice.

DLC is going to be very interesting for this game. The add-on characters for Smash 4 were nuts: Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta. But how can the Ultimate roster get any nuttier than it already is?

Apparently Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash. If anything comes of that, I'd bet it's Doomguy.

Last edited:

BlackTron

As a die hard Smash fan with Project M still on my Wii, I was always going to get the game, but I'm just not all that pumped for it, not sure why. Maybe it's just that, now that we've had Smash in HD once, it feels like everything else is just incremental.

I'm essentially getting the ability to play Smash on Switch with this. I know it's not a port like Mario 8 (perish the thought) but I feel like I'm paying $60 premiums for new version patches...of every WiiU game. I still love the Switch, but it's getting a little old.

I'm indifferent on the spirits. To me I don't see it adding any value to the game, but it doesn't bother me that they're there.

Hoping the solo mode is halfway decent, but not holding my breath.

I might just be overdosed on Smash news though, like they smothered me in such a relentless deluge of info that I started to lose interest lol. I can't be the only one who yawned at e3, at this point I just want the game to come out already so it can end!!

Last edited:

pimentel1

Banned
I just got my smash gamecube controller in the mail and tried it out with Puyo Puyo Tetris and the dpad on it works wonderfully. Way better than the pro controller.

Shouta

That's because he is. It's an empty statement. They probably already have a rough idea on what they are putting in those DLC packs but are focusing on the Piranha Plant first which as of now is DLC content. Which they are finishing development on. Therefore DLC is indeed in development stages.

It's just that right now for the full DLC fighter packs they have nothing to show. Which is what his statement basically means.

It's not necessarily a misleading statement. It just doesn't mean anything because not everyone is on the same page about terms. To the average person, hearing "development" conjures the entire process from conception to release but that's not necessarily the case for the developers. You can split a project into planning, like scoping, negotiating, building timelines, staffing etc, and development, where the actual content is being created, assembled, programmed, and tested. These are pretty different phases when you actually break it down. So what Sakurai is actually saying is that, they've likely planned who they want but they haven't actually started creating the assets and programming them in.

I do understand apprehension about it though since a lot of other companies have been super scummy about day-1 DLC or on disc DLC.

TLZ

Banned
Can someone enlighten me? Can someone confirm if this new trailer 'World of Light' is a Single player mode? If yes, I'm in. This would be my first ever.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

epic.png

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Can someone enlighten me? Can someone confirm if this new trailer 'World of Light' is a Single player mode? If yes, I'm in. This would be my first ever.
Looks like it. Like Brawl's Adventure mode where you unlock characters and use them as you progress.

L0wMax

GameXplaiin Piranha Plant analysis:

I never knew the dry-bones piranha plant was a thing. I guess I would have known if I played NSMB2.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Have they talked at all about the “streamlined” unlocking process. Seems like the only unanswered question at this point. I really don’t want to have to spend hours throwing single player smash matches just to get to the magic fight count number for characters to start unlocking...

RScrewed

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I know Killer's preferences have bias, the whole board does, but in this case, I'd argue he's making valid points.

They're not the standard empty responses of "I'm salty I missed out on a childhood cuz I had a PS1 instead of an N64", his statements on this topic have weight. Nintendo embracing DLC to this extent is really shitty.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Sakurai explains spirits mode. Can a Japanese speaker summarize the important bits?

Okay, good. This video confirms what I've been suspecting: World of Light is a mode within the Spirits category, but it's not the only mode featured there.

sJcgx0v.png

So the Spirits mechanics will feature heavily in the World of Light mode. That seemed like it'd have to be the case, but honestly the Direct completely failed to make that clear.

The announcer calls that second-largest mode "Spirit Board." The third item leads to another screen:

4XBmDBh.png

The item in the upper right there is for upgrading your spirits via the feeding mechanic.

Man, there is a lot of information in this video and no one seems to be analyzing it.

Last edited:

pimentel1

Banned
Okay, good. This video confirms what I've been suspecting: World of Light is a mode within the Spirits category, but it's not the only mode featured there.

sJcgx0v.png

So the Spirits mechanics will feature heavily in the World of Light mode. That seemed like it'd have to be the case, but honestly the Direct completely failed to make that clear.

The announcer calls that second-largest mode "Spirit Board." The third item leads to another screen:

4XBmDBh.png

The item in the upper right there is for upgrading your spirits via the feeding mechanic.

Man, there is a lot of information in this video and no one seems to be analyzing it.

If there is a World of Light, there must also be a World of Darkness. Dark spirit powers?

I was so hyped for the Nintendo Direct and the endless potential for new Smash characters. Classic Sakurai going with Piranha Plant. Incineroar looks OP, can't wait to try him. Overall though, the leaks ruined it, as usual.

Still hoping for Banjo DLC though.

Top Bottom