• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct 11.1.2018 + Nintendo Treehouse: Live Presentation

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Fantastic. Not only do I get every previous character that has entered the series, I get a shit ton of stages (plus variations of those stages), a gigantic ass soundtrack that I can listen to whenever I feel like, many fantastic new additions to the series (namely spirits), and a very good deal on DLC.

5 dollars for a new stage, character, and music tracks? Seems like a fantastic deal to me.

The Grinch leak seemed fake from the outset so I have no stake in its obvious failing. I think people are being a bit silly with the hate on the game.

Andyliini

They are currently playing Yoshi's Crafted World on the stream. It looks great, even more detailed than Woolly World or even Color Splash.

RK128

So we... More or less found out that the characters everyone really wanted (Waluigi, Geno, Issac, Shadow, etc) aren't coming into the game at all.... I mean, with Echo fighters, I would have thought Shadow was a confirmed, considering Knuckles is a new assist trophy. But nope, Shadow is an assist trophy. Sonic's been in smash for years at this point since brawl and we got a resounding ONE remix track original to Smash. But it's perfectly fine that Capcom gets two SF reps and a monster hunter assist trophy though...

My inner Sonic fan pissed aside, I'm just a bit confused. Geno and Shanate are spirits when the former was hinted at a playable inclusion for a while and the later has so much support but just made a cameo more or less... Banjo actually is likely as a DLC character, considering the trademark stuff that came out recently, and I could see Ubisoft and Bandai-Namco getting a rep in through the Fighter Pass. But it seems like they worked with the devils to get more Konami love in Smash again and once they did that, they coudn't play nice with Square for Geno so they said 'fuck it' and just put K. Rool in to make fans happy.

I will say that I'm still hyped and very happy with specific things (Castlevanna getting so much love and the spirits mode looking legit promising) but not gonna lie, a bit miffed at how they announced the fighters. I would have saved Simon, Richter, and spirits for October's announcement, kick off Smash's announcement in June with Ken and the pokemon and have Ridly be the finaly announcement alongside K. Rool. That would have made expectations a lot more understandable.

Just hope they pick fighters for the DLC that make everyone happy, cause I get the impression this direct just pissed more off than made many happy.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Just hope they pick fighters for the DLC that make everyone happy, cause I get the impression this direct just pissed more off than made many happy.
Yeah Minecraft Steve for DLC! You know the most famous Nintendo character ever? No seriously what kind of cruel joke is it for him to hide the DLC now. You've already pissed off almost everyone Sakurai. It's just going to be more bullshit like the latest Pokemon or Fire Emblem character.

Last edited by a moderator:

pimentel1

Banned
Yeah Minecraft Steve for DLC! You know the most famous Nintendo character ever? No seriously what kind of cruel joke is it for him to hide the DLC now. You've already pissed off almost everyone Sakurai. It's just going to be more bullshit like the latest Pokemon or Fire Emblem character.

I’ll be happy if I can play as the marble from Marble Madness.

iconmaster

Banned
Wii Fit Trainer and King K. Rool are also Spirits, so being a Spirit does not mean you can't also be a Fighter.

I think if they were going to announce him as a character (even a DLC character), there's no way they would have shown him first as a Spirit.

I'd say stick a fork in him.

ROMhack

So, out of interest, why do Nintendo get a pass planning DLC in advance?

Not saying I wouldn't if I were in their shoes but I wonder why gamers who can be quite hostile to industry practices don't seem to care about this one.

Edit: This sounds a bit more accusatory then I meant it to be. I'm not being anti-Nintendo and I like Smash but I was keen on gauging people's opinions.

Last edited:

Killer751

Banned
So, out of interest, why do Nintendo get a pass planning DLC in advance?

Not saying I wouldn't if I were in their shoes but I wonder why gamers who are generally quite hostile to many industry practices don't seem to care about this one.

Because it's okay when Nintendo does it.

This is something that should have erupted into full blown controversy, honestly. This is the main thing that has made me decide to boycott the game.

The REAL reason the roster has so few new entries is because Nintendo wants to sell all of the characters people want as DLC. Want Geno? DLC. Want Isaac? DLC. Want Banjo? DLC, probably with an inflated price tag to compensate for being owned by Microsoft.

Sakurai and Nintendo expertly set themselves up for this by reminding players over and over that there wouldn't be too many new characters this time around specifically so they could do this. It's disgusting. With characters like Piranha Plant on the table, I could see them developing at LEAST twenty new characters and selling them at six bucks a pop instead of... you know, taking another year to implement them into the base game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

This is something that should have erupted into full blown controversy, honestly. This is the main thing that has made me decide to boycott the game.

The REAL reason the roster has so few new entries is because Nintendo wants to sell all of the characters people want as DLC. Want Geno? DLC. Want Isaac? DLC. Want Banjo? DLC, probably with an inflated price tag to compensate for being owned by Microsoft.

Sakurai and Nintendo expertly set themselves up for this by reminding players over and over that there wouldn't be too many new characters this time around specifically so they could do this. It's disgusting. With characters like Piranha Plant on the table, I could see them developing at LEAST twenty new characters and selling them at six bucks a pop instead of... you know, taking another year to implement them into the base game.

Gimme a break, mate. The general issue with DLC is that it is either content previously removed from the game to sell in piece meal slices (such as Soul Calibur 6 or the various missions you can find in RDR2 or Assassins Creed titles), or was planned far in advance and almost finished. The DLC hasn't even *begun development* yet. This isn't like the characters were completed and Nintendo is waiting to release it at a later date.

Then again, you clearly have a beef with Nintendo so I doubt logic is going to be a thing with you.

Also, don't pull that "This is the main thing that has made me decide to boycott the game." We all know that is utter bullshit. You never intended to buy the game in the first place.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Woah woah woah woah...
So youre saying that you are boycotting a nintendo game?

Im legit shook.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Bowsette as DLC or riot. Clearly.

On a more serious note I think they already revealed the more interesting additions to the roster prior to today because I felt very little for Ken and Fire Cat wrestler thing. Would have preferred the Owl.

And of all characters to add they chose Piranha Plant. I don't think anyone expected that at all. But even then all I got was a WTF why kind of reaction.

Plus I'm super salt about Isaac being neglected again. But on the same token Golden Sun as a series definitely stagnated after Dark Dawn's reception. Unfortunate.

iconmaster

Banned
Bowsette as DLC or riot. Clearly.

It's unconscionable that Soul Calibur got there before Smash.

uwkl1jo0b4t11.png

Mozza

Nintendo's sales of Smash will be doomed now. ;)

iconmaster

Banned
Tell you what, if Shantae is one of the five I'll drop £25.

Ain't gonna happen but there we go.

Shantae would be an excellent choice. She's been on Nintendo systems since Game Boy Color, she's visually distinctive, and her moveset practically invents itself.

Ah well.

Fizggig

Neo Member
You do realize no one will be happy that their favorite characters are not in the game right? I mean not every single Nintendo IP and huge 3rd party or exclusive huge characters are going to make this game. They can only put in so much. Deals do cost money and some companies are not going to be as generous as others. I say the game as it stands is for sure an upgrade to Smash 4 Wiiu.

Sannakji

Banned
Piranha Plant was such a surprise, but he fits right in. Can't wait to try him alongside my mainstays of Luigi, B/W Kirby, Dark Toon Link and the long missed Ice Climbers. Glad we didn't get Shadow for obvious reasons and Isaac because Smash has more than enough blade wielders as is. The whole support system seems very convoluted though, and not very optional for those who want a more traditional Smash experience, because you won't be competitive if you don't use it. I felt it was a very convoluted way to introduce a loadout style system (what it really reminds me of is FFVIII's ability junctions).

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i was at work all day and the internet actually went down so i missed this. just saw the World of Light trailer, pretty badass!

btw i love the house style they are keeping here. all these colorful characters in a sort of semi-realistic setting. when the camera panned up to show fake Mario's red eyes i was like, oh, yes.

Thurible

It looks great. However, I personally question the fact that a pirahna plant is going to be a character, when it is just a basic mario enemy. They could have gone with Petey Pirahna, King Boo, or what have you. Also, they put in a freaking pirahna plant over someone like waluigi or ghiraham.

This might be the thing that makes me get a switch though.

Last edited:

Killer751

Banned
Gimme a break, mate. The general issue with DLC is that it is either content previously removed from the game to sell in piece meal slices (such as Soul Calibur 6 or the various missions you can find in RDR2 or Assassins Creed titles), or was planned far in advance and almost finished. The DLC hasn't even *begun development* yet. This isn't like the characters were completed and Nintendo is waiting to release it at a later date.

Then again, you clearly have a beef with Nintendo so I doubt logic is going to be a thing with you.

Also, don't pull that "This is the main thing that has made me decide to boycott the game." We all know that is utter bullshit. You never intended to buy the game in the first place.

Ah yes. The DLC that had not even 'begun' development has a trailer and release date ready upon announcement. Give me a break.

Wow, if Nintendo used the resources that it wastes on the countless Smash CGI, we'd actually have some pretty good games - not a REMASTER of the same game we had 4 YEARS AGO.

Sannakji

Banned
Wow, if Nintendo used the resources that it wastes on the countless Smash CGI, we'd actually have some pretty good games - not a REMASTER of the same game we had 4 YEARS AGO.

Well in reality isn't it great that we have both nice cutscenes and new games? Nothing lacking about Ninty's first party Switch offering.

Do you feel the same way about Blizzard, the kings of fancy promotional cutscenes?

It looks great. However, I personally question the fact that a pirahna plant is going to be a character, when it is just a basic mario enemy. They could have gone with Petey Pirahna, King Boo, or what have you. Also, they put in a freaking pirahna plant over someone like waluigi or ghiraham.

This might be the thing that makes me get a switch though.

From the trailer it seems Petey Piranha is Piranha Plant's Final Smash move.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Piranha Plant was probably planned to be in base game but they didn't make the deadline. That's why it's free for a limited time.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ah yes. The DLC that had not even 'begun' development has a trailer and release date ready upon announcement. Give me a break.

The trailer of a static image, I might remind you. Also the release date was of *next year*, not a month from launch. It is easy to come up with a projected release date if you have been working on the same project for literal decades. They know how long it takes to create a new character, hell they did it with the Wii U and 3DS versions not too long ago.

Give me a break with your whining about Nintendo. It is sad at this point.

RScrewed

You do realize no one will be happy that their favorite characters are not in the game right? I mean not every single Nintendo IP and huge 3rd party or exclusive huge characters are going to make this game. They can only put in so much. Deals do cost money and some companies are not going to be as generous as others. I say the game as it stands is for sure an upgrade to Smash 4 Wiiu.

I think people who are defending Nintendo are missing the big point. It's a game they are calling the "Ultimate" edition...yet already announced DLC before release.

The monetization strategy is annoying. It's actually an $85 game. Eh. Okay. That's just the money.

And Sakurai probably had nothing to do with pricing. But then he also blatantly ignores his fanbase to do what he wants. Him fighting against the competitive scene, against the common wishlist of characters that have no contractual difficulties in Nintendo obtaining, against the traditional story mode and adding in gameplay mechanics no one asked for...it's looking way like a mad scientist that is simultaneously bored and arrogant.

In my opinion he made better decisions before he was heralded as a celebrity.

But he knows we're all gonna buy it anyway, I just wish he didn't have the "lol look, eat what I'm serving for dinner or go to bed hungry, your choice" attitude. There could be a wonderful dynamic between the players and creators of Smash but each iteration it becomes further and further from being realized.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Neither of those things are true. They just explained their plans as part of the Direct, it ain't a trailer, and "2019" is not a date. Not only that, but this isn't some crazy new concept. See below:

Tekken 7 character ($8): https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA05972_00-PS4TK7CHARAPACK2
Dragon Ball FighterZ character ($5): https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA09072_00-DBFDLCCHARA00008
Soulcalibur 6 character ($6 available on the same day): https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA09903_00-SC6DLC01CHARA001

Etc, etc. Complain about the practice in general all you like, that's fair, but don't pretend this is a Nintendo issue. We get it, you don't like the big mean company. Move on.

Last edited:

RScrewed

Neither of those things are true. They just explained their plans as part of the Direct, it ain't a trailer, and "2019" is not a date. Not only that, but this isn't some crazy new concept. See below:

Tekken 7 character ($8): https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA05972_00-PS4TK7CHARAPACK2
Dragon Ball FighterZ character ($5): https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA09072_00-DBFDLCCHARA00008
Soulcalibur 6 character ($6 available on the same day): https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA09903_00-SC6DLC01CHARA001

Etc, etc. Complain about the practice in general all you like, that's fair, but don't pretend this is a Nintendo issue. We get it, you don't like the big mean company. Move on.

Literally no one said it's a Nintendo-only problem. But it's perfectly reasonable to be angry at Nintendo/Bandai for following suit.

Also, it's the Super Smash Brothers ULTIMATE - Base Edition. Any way you slice it, its super dumb.

Shouta

It should be noted that characters like Piranha Plant are sometimes still in development when the game is finalized for printing physical copies. They'd still have time between then and launch to continue working on it. They'd patch in the final details on launch day or when it's launched later.

There's always a lot of hubbub about this situation but it's usually pretty complicated. Though, that usually isn't something fans care much about typically.

Literally no one said it's a Nintendo-only problem. But it's perfectly reasonable to be angry at Nintendo/Bandai for following suit.

Also, it's the Super Smash Brothers ULTIMATE - Base Edition. Any way you slice it, its super dumb.

It includes all of the characters from all of the prior games. Even if they never committed to more characters, or added Piranha/Ken/wrestlecat, "Ultimate" is a fitting title. And we're getting those 3 for free. 75 fucking fighters.

If it bothers you wait a few years and see if they do a GOTY edition. Like every other company that does DLC.

Top Bottom