• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct 11.1.2018 + Nintendo Treehouse: Live Presentation

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
25 for 5 fighters fuck off ninty haha.
i just canceled my special "ultimate" edition get rekt.

L0wMax

I don't agree. 6 bucks for a character and stage is a lot of money. 25 for 5 characters is too expensive as well. I'm willing to pay half of that.

At least there's a single player mode that looks pretty cool. Overall I'd say this Direct is a moderate success.
imo the game is easily worth $125 with the amount of content it has. 60 bucks is bargain.

Codes 208

We got incineroar and adventure mode. I can live with that.
I don't agree. 6 bucks for a character and stage is a lot of money. 25 for 5 characters is too expensive as well. I'm willing to pay half of that.

At least there's a single player mode that looks pretty cool. Overall I'd say this Direct is a moderate success.
$5.99 is around the same price as other fighters like dbfighterz, street fighter, pokken, doa and killer instinct. I dont get how its expensive, thats a lunch at taco bell money.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
LOL, Piranha Plant. We've been trolled.

I don't understand the Spirits mode at all, but it's interesting I guess.

Is World of Light distinct from the Spirits mode? I'm confused.

Last edited:

Ixiah

Banned

25 for 5 Characters is too much ?
Have you seen the prices for DLC fighters for Tekken 7 or Soul Calibur 6 ?

Wow. That was a shit direct they ruined a huge chunk of my hype. What was the point of announcing DLC when they deconfirmed almost every character people want by having them as assist trophies, costumes or spirits.

Fuck Incineroar

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The spirits thing is just a renovated equipment system if anything. I have very little interest in it. You can use them for other stuff too but it feels pretty meh to me.

If the Plant and 5 more fighters thing is to be believed then you'll eventually have a roster of 80 characters which is nice.

I feel like the direct could have used less time spent on spirits. Bored me half to death. I'm sure the game will be a lot of fun. Looking forward to it.

jadedm17

Nobody is talking about that Story Mode? Jesus that looked amazing.

Too busy being sour with how much effort went into spirits - WHAT ARE THESE - and Mii Fighter outfits?

Agreed the story looks great, especially with Kirby at the lead. ;)

I feel like the direct could have used less time spent on spirits. Bored me half to death. I'm sure the game will be a lot of fun
Yea who the **** was that for anyways? To be honest I'd have bought the game with half the content so I'm not the target for these directs and other Smash tidbits.

Last edited:

kunonabi

That was pretty damn underwhelming. Should have done this a few days earlier and done the Spirits stuff along with Simon.

Solo content seemed as cheaply done as possible until the map reveals at the end so that could go either way.

That new song is fantastic but the English version is ass. I also cant stand that English Zelda voice. I guess it doesnt matter since I'll be getting the Japanese version anyway.

Wunray

Not hype for that story mode, it is most likely 1 cgi cutscene at the beginning and 1 at the end, with a lot or busy work in between. Still buying it though.

tkscz

I didn't get to see it yet as I"m at work. Can anyone summerize?

I see that there are DLC characters for $6 a pop. Weren't the ones in Smash 4 like $5 a person separated from maps and costumes?

iconmaster

Banned

Hoo boy, I'll try.

New fighters are Ken (Street Fighter) and Piranha Plant (edit: and Incineroar, a fire Pokémon[?]. Thanks Omeggos). That's it. There are no others.

Spirits mode is a series of battles in which you unlock and equip characters from other game series. It's extremely convoluted.

World of Light is also a series of battles in which you're trying to rescue all the fighters from an army of Master Hands.

I think that's about right.

Last edited:

Shouta

I see that there are DLC characters for $6 a pop. Weren't the ones in Smash 4 like $5 a person separated from maps and costumes?

Ken and Incineroar added to the regular roster. An equipment/mode called Spirits is in along with a story mode called World of Light it looks like. Piranha Plant is DLC but free if you register the game. 5 other DLC fighters coming as well. 5.99 for a single fighter, stage, and music set. 24.99 for all 5 as a season pass, basically saving you 5 bucks. Bunch of other QoL stuff for online, etc.

Codes 208

Hoo boy, I'll try.

New fighters are Ken (Street Fighter) and Piranha Plant. That's it. There are no others.

Spirits mode is a series of battles in which you unlock and equip characters from other game series. It's extremely convoluted.

World of Light is also a series of battles in which you're trying to rescue all the fighters from an army of Master Hands.

I think that's about right.
You forgot Incineroar

pimentel1

Banned
Kirby at the end was awesome. Of course he would be the one to outrun galatic annihilation.

Last edited:
Also, trophies are gone, and spirits took their place (spirits being old repurposed 2D artwork with stats and bonuses they can give your fighter).

Mattyp

Gold Member
After watching this live, does Nintendo truly hate their fans or just have no finger on the pulse of what people actually want?

Last edited:

Codes 208

After watching this live, does Nintendo truly hate their fans or just have no finger on the pulse of what people actually want?
I think people just have too high of expectations. The game has 76 characters at launch and already has a metric fuckton of nintendo fanservice

iconmaster

Banned
Khan Academy to the rescue

wYDrOdR.png

L0wMax

The inclusion of King K. Rool and Ridley makes this statement look silly. They would have never been added if it wasn't for the fans clamoring over them. There will always be people with ever increasing expectations with each new reveal. Some fans are insatiable.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Nevermind putting in characters people waited 10 years or so let's make a fucking common Mario enemy into a fighter instead. I seriously hope someone else makes the next Smash instead.

Mozza

I think it's a little unfair to suggest Nintendo hate their fans,as this type of game is the very definition of a fan based title,of course every little change Nintendo make will not be welcomed by everyone,and some of the hardcore audience that post on gaming forums will never be happy no matter what.When you also say Nintendo may not have their finger on the pulse as to what people want,I think you mean what a small vocal minority on the internet and forums want. ;)

Mozza

Nevermind putting in characters people waited 10 years or so let's make a fucking common Mario enemy into a fighter instead. I seriously hope someone else makes the next Smash instead.

Some people will always complain no matter what,the title will of course delight everybody else.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I think it's a little unfair to suggest Nintendo hate their fans,as this type of game is the very definition of a fan based title,of course every little change Nintendo make will not be welcomed by everyone,and some of the hardcore audience that post on gaming forums will never be happy no matter what.When you also say Nintendo may not have their finger on the pulse as to what people want,I think you mean what a small vocal minority on the internet and forums want. ;)

I don't think it was only a small vocal minority hoping for the grinch leaks to be real, pick up the phone to Microsoft add the rare characters. Some of the characters that are assist only also..

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/item/assistfigure.html

The Strifer

Neo Member
So, not sure if anyone noticed but the image of Ocelot was from the Pachinko MGS3 Remaster. Since Smash is a global release... could we be getting an MGS3 Remaster after all? Or maybe they just added it in over the original MGS3 version because Konami said so.

Codes 208

I don't think it was only a small vocal minority hoping for the grinch leaks to be real, pick up the phone to Microsoft add the rare characters. Some of the characters that are assist only also..

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/item/assistfigure.html
I imagine the only people who want grinch in are memers or people who want to watch the world burn, i mean seriously how the fuck does he relate to nintendo?

As for rare who knows what kind of royalties they would need to pay ms, or maybe banjo is one of the dlc characters. But missing out on a few characters when a majority of nintendos IP's are represented here is hardly a middle finger.

The only character i feel got screwed over is waluigi.

Last edited:

tkscz

Ken and Incineroar added to the regular roster. An equipment/mode called Spirits is in along with a story mode called World of Light it looks like. Piranha Plant is DLC but free if you register the game. 5 other DLC fighters coming as well. 5.99 for a single fighter, stage, and music set. 24.99 for all 5 as a season pass, basically saving you 5 bucks. Bunch of other QoL stuff for online, etc.

$6 for a fighter, stage and music set is LITERALLY WHAT THEY DID IN SMASH 4 so I'm not sure what the big deal is here. They even did a $30 all character bundle for Smash 4, $40 if you got the pack for both Wii U and 3DS. So the cost of DLC this time around is no different. Just saying, if you complained about it before, then I understand why you're doing it now, but if you didn't mind it before, no need to complain now.

As for the rest, I'll need to see it myself, especially if this spirits mode is as confusing as you guys are saying.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
25 for 5 Characters is too much ?
Have you seen the prices for DLC fighters for Tekken 7 or Soul Calibur 6 ?
its 30 for 5 fighters

so yes 5 bucks more? Oh shit this is being made by Namco as well right? It all makes so much sense now.

Last edited by a moderator:

L0wMax

I imagine the only people who want grinch in are memers or people who want to watch the world burn, i mean seriously how the fuck does he relate to nintendo?

As for rare who knows what kind of royalties they would need to pay ms, or maybe banjo is one of the dlc characters. But missing out on a few characters when a majority of nintendos IP's are represented here is hardly a middle finger.

The only character i feel got screwed over is waluigi.
The grinch leak is not about the grinch getting into smash lol. That's just the name of the leak because there happened to be grinch promotional materials in the background of the photo because it was taken in an advertising agency or something. It's all about the banner with the characters.
GrinchLeak1-953x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Story mode looks pretty fun, Spirits mode looks overly convoluted and not all to interesting (I just imagine every time I meet with people to play this it's going to be "no spirits")
Piranha Plant is a bit unexpected and I personally would have have preferred something else, though I guess they are saving the more exciting characters for the season pass. They need to clarify how you can get the character if you are buying digitally, because the way it's written it sounds like you have until the end of January to register a physical version but if you are going digitally you have to pre order

DLC price seems in line with other fighters so I don't know where the complaints are coming from. The only issue I see is that after half a year or so you can generally get the complete edition of most fighters for $60 or less. With Nintendo pricing the complete edition of Smash is going to be $85 for years to come.

DryvBy

I really wish if they were going to do another Mario character, they went with maybe Birdo or some other boss.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Incineroar is trash.

Blaziken or Infernape would been leagues better.
We didn't need any new Pokemon AT ALL.
I really wish if they were going to do another Mario character, they went with maybe Birdo or some other boss.
Imagine how much of a slap in the face it is for Daisy and Waluigi fans. He seriously can't make original moves for them but instead makes that instead? I didn't even want Waluigi but that's some serious bullshit.

Mozza

We didn't need any new Pokemon AT ALL.

Imagine how much of a slap in the face it is for Daisy and Waluigi fans. He seriously can't make original moves for them but instead makes that instead? I didn't even want Waluigi but that's some serious bullshit.

I am sure they will get over it. ;)

iconmaster

Banned
They need to clarify how you can get the character if you are buying digitally, because the way it's written it sounds like you have until the end of January to register a physical version but if you are going digitally you have to pre order

Nah, as long you buy it by January 31 you'll get him.

Top Bottom