• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they have to make the system available without the dock for $189... If they went after 3ds market and made TV thing an optional feature Switch would be a much better proposition. Also if they somehow managed to make it backwards compatible with 3ds...

So if they just made it a completely different product? The gimmick is the "switch". How do you sell a Switch that can't Switch?

OK, have slept on it. Alotta things cancel out to modest in my head so far.

Lots of great titles I'm interested in <--> But so many are clearly early development and in Gen 8, that means "2018 at the earliest"

Triple form being great for taking the system on the road and allows for handheld development to keep existing <--> that battery life though

New people with new ideas <--> clearly reheated Wii U or straight Gen 7 games ports.

$300 is a good price for a brand new console <--> Is this 2008 with that storage?!?!

So yeah, not jazzed but not also laughing at it or anything.

Newboi

I wonder why Nintendo didn't work with Nvidia to bring GameStream and GeforceNow over to the Switch? They would have a whole library of high-end games that players could access via cloud or local streaming.

It's called a smartphone.

What exactly is the Switch bringing to the market? Seems like just a (very expensive) content channel.

Last time I checked, a smartphone is much more expensive that the Switch, and... a smartphone has no physical controls (unless you buy a controller that you now have to have with you).

azyless

Last time I checked, a smartphone is much more expensive that the Switch, and... a smartphone has no physical controls (unless you buy a controller that you now have to have with you).
What ? I don't even want to compare the two but I've never paid more than 150&#8364; for any of my phones (and they're not tied to contracts or anything, just straight off amazon). There are plenty of sub 300&#8364;/$ options.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder why Nintendo didn't work with Nvidia to bring GameStream and GeforceNow over to the Switch? They would have a whole library of high-end games that players could access via cloud or local streaming.

Because they want people buying their games. A big reason they've long been shitty to third parties is their ideal situation is a console like the Wii that sells well and most people are pretty much just buying their games (look at the crazy high attach rates for first party Wii games).

The less competition for their games the better--as long as the hardware sells to a big enough base to get the game sales they want.

otakukidd

No, I actually mean exactly the same product, just sell it without the dock. So what if it can't switch? You still get to play Zelda and Mario.
They could also make it smaller, remove the ability to take out the joycons and possibly make it weaker(in that it could still play all the switch games but instead of downclocking the processor for portable mode make the portable mode the highest it can go. ). I truly think this would be the way to go for a revision of it and they would sell both at the same time kinda like the 2ds.

PeterGAF

Banned
So wait, does the grip that comes with the console not have the ability to be plugged in and charged? What happenes if im using it and my joycons run out of battery? Do I have to slot them into the console and use it in portable mode if i want to keep playing? I could understand if the separate joycon charging grip had an extended battery but if the included one can't be plugged in to charge the things at all that would be a huge disappointment.

kendrake

Banned
Because they want people buying their games. A big reason they've long been shitty to third parties is their ideal situation is a console like the Wii that sells well and most people are pretty much just buying their games (look at the crazy high attach rates for first party Wii games).

The less competition for their games the better--as long as the hardware sells to a big enough base to get the game sales they want.
third parties being pretty shitty to nintendo plays a huge part also, especially western third parties

the only games shown were mainly japanese, western third parties was non existent besides skyrim but thats probably coz the games are non existent in the first place

jmizzal

I agree, and that would make paid online much better, you pay monthly fee and then you get a library of streaming games

pixelation

All i know is i will continue with my true and tried method of waiting for their consoles to be dirt cheap (end of their life-span... hello Wii U!!!) and pick them up with whatever few games managed to interest me while they were alive (ermm... hello Mario 3D Wolrd and Donkey Kong Tropical Blast). Getting their new consoles on day one is just not worth it for me if they're gonna be this stubborn in putting out sub-par tech as they chase and try to recapture that once in a lifetime golden moment like they had with the Wii.

brad-t

So wait, does the grip that comes with the console not have the ability to be plugged in and charged? What happenes if im using it and my joycons run out of battery? Do I have to slot them into the console and use it in portable mode if i want to keep playing? I could understand if the separate joycon charging grip had an extended battery but if the included one can't be plugged in to charge the things at all that would be a huge disappointment.

This appears to be the case :( I didn't realize this when I preordered, and realistically it wouldn't have stopped me, but ... what a bummer.

iHaunter

Oh did it now? Didn't they end up still cumulatively in the red from the PS3?

The last two years was green for the PS3 if I recall since hardware prices by that point were reduced, but they still understood what generally makes money. Consoles usually should be breaking even if you want the best tech possible for an affordable rate.

Ogni-XR21

Finally watched the presentation, it confirmed what I expected from the October trailer which was already kind of lackluster to me.
Mario somehow felt off, the city reminded me of Sonic06 and left a very bad taste. Was disappointed by Zelda in that it did not look any better at all. And even though I went in with low expectations, the graphics still were a letdown.

This also showed once more how Sony has mastered the art of these presentations while MS and Nintendo just can't compete. Thank god I did not get up a 5am to watch this, while watching the last 2 Sony E3 presentations live at 3am are some of my fondest gaming memories.

I hope it bombs out the gate so Nintendo will reconsider the online subscription, the sold separately wrist straps (who's going to buy those separately?), the controller grip that doesn't charge the controllers, or just cut the prices on this tat.

I want to be onboard, but there's too much stuff to buy.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm even more upset about the fate of the Vita now. Vita didn't deserve this. Handheld gaming doesn't deserve this. We really needed Vita to succeed. There really is no replacement for it. My dreams are all being crushed :(

Etzer

Because of the insane profit margins. It's why for years people have been able to get near flagship specced phones from China for a fraction of the cost of big brands. Smartphones are not expensive to make. The Switch is terribly overpriced but Nintendo is pricing it as if they're still a market leader. They're the BlackBerry of the gaming world (see: the BlackBerry Priv launching at $699).

That entire conference was disappointing, awkward, and depressing.

Nintendo was my favorite gaming company from NES through Wii, but I no longer feel any connection whatsoever to their philosophies. It was when Wii U was originally announced that I decided to move into the PC gaming space. And after seeing this console reveal, that is certainly where I will be staying for the long haul.

Oh well, at least I can reminisce on the good times.

I'm even more upset about the fate of the Vita now. Vita didn't deserve this. Handheld gaming doesn't deserve this. We really needed Vita to succeed. There really is no replacement for it. My dreams are all being crushed :(

The Vita was truly an astonishing piece of hardware on release. The fact that its still viable today and is in fact almost as technically impressive as the switch 6 years later, speaks volumes.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Its amazing to me that Nintendo could be so horrible at the presentation part of the job and screw up so many other elements that a reveal with Zelda, open world 3D Mario, and a sequel to Splatoon all coming within 9 months of each other could feel like such a letdown.

Do we know if it's gonna have like Streetpass and other cool things like that?

It really doesn't feel like a 'next Nintendo handheld' yet, just the next console we can take with us sometimes. It's odd.

Is there a line up of games and eta's anywhere, I'm just trying to catch up on information and the Nintendo website isn't great, I'm in th uk if that makes a difference?

Zedark

Is there a line up of games and eta's anywhere, I'm just trying to catch up on information and the Nintendo website isn't great, I'm in th uk if that makes a difference?

There is this image, from this thread:

C2D-v0TXgAAEI8G.jpg

third parties being pretty shitty to nintendo plays a huge part also, especially western third parties
It's the other way around, bud.

Third parties don't owe Nintendo games. Nintendo needs to release a console that attracts gamers who buy third party games (and gamers in general, which they seem to be having trouble with).

I hope it bombs out the gate so Nintendo will reconsider the online subscription, the sold separately wrist straps (who's going to buy those separately?), the controller grip that doesn't charge the controllers, or just cut the prices on this tat.

I want to be onboard, but there's too much stuff to buy.

Pretty sure he said the straps are included in the box (just like they were with the Wii, or later shipped to customers for free). He said additional colors will be sold separately.

Are there any impressions of "HD" rumble? That's the only feature that might redeem Switch a bit... I think it's BS, but I would be glad to be proven wrong...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Are there any impressions of "HD" rumble? That's the only feature that might redeem Switch a bit... I think it's BS, but I would be glad to be proven wrong...

What I have read has been favorable.

kendrake

Banned
It's the other way around, bud.

Third parties don't owe Nintendo games. Nintendo needs to release a console that attracts gamers who buy third party games (and gamers in general, which they seem to be gabbing trouble with).
yes they dont owe nintendo anything but that goes the same other way around

the wii/ds sold very well and half of the games bought were third party

how many tried? especially western third parties

u can say underpowered all u want, power has never been a necessity to make good games, wii/ds showcased this perfectly, it has always been used as an excuse rather than a legit reason imo

Because of the insane profit margins. It's why for years people have been able to get near flagship specced phones from China for a fraction of the cost of big brands. Smartphones are not expensive to make. The Switch is terribly overpriced but Nintendo is pricing it as if they're still a market leader. They're the BlackBerry of the gaming world (see: the BlackBerry Priv launching at $699).

Oh, believe me, I agree. I know that the margins on smartphones are insane. And I really wanted the Switch to be $249. I do think that the $299 price is a mistake by Nintendo - the Switch will likely be a secondary console for most, so pricing it in the same price range of the PS4/X1 seems a bit arrogant.

If they really could have pulled off $199 like some people were hoping, then that would have been amazing, but I never really thought that would be the case.

That said, I've already pre-ordered mine.

Raitaro

I really don't know what to make of the whole thing, even less so after watching the Treehouse demo's.

To be clear I did pre-order one along with Zelda (at Bol.com in The Netherlands, who came through for me with the Nes Classic), just in case, but I will for the first time keep the option in mind to cancel that order. I mean, I want to play Zelda but not necessarily on Switch if the improvements are minimal. I wish they had explained those by the way.

As for the other games: quite a mixed bag and overall far too little of them imo. After the Wii U software drought of the last 1,5 years and the now winding down 3DS schedule, I had expected that they'd go all out for Switch with 10 or so first party launch titles (new ones and a few ports) and several third party games as well. What we got is extremely limited in scope and appeal for me as a Wii U owner and mostly single player (aka lonely...) gamer.

1 2 Switch looks downright terrible to me in its presentation and "gameplay", Arms looks ok to good (though a bit limited in scope as well perhaps, and the name is far too generic) but isn't a launch title, Zelda I can play on Wii U as said, Super Mario Odyssee looks phenomenal (apart from the jarringly realistic humans that are essentially questioning Mario's entire being and origin story) but is far later down the line, MK8 Deluxe is a nice gesture but it remains to be seen if it contains any new tracks/cups as well, Splatoon 2 - while cool - looks and sounds so similar to the first game that I kind of wish they'd gone with a MK8 style deluxe version so that we'd have plenty of content from the get go this time i stead of waiting for monthly updates (and also: where are the playable Octolings and will there be single player content?!), while Super Bomberman R was the surprise of the event for me. None of the other games interest me greatly as of right now, unfortunately.

I also have to ask: Where is a new Animal Crossing? A better version of Star Fox Zero with more control options? A new Metroid? That rumored Rabbids / Mario RPG cross-over? The port of Super Mario Maker with actual new content like slopes and more themes and styles? That rumored deluxe version of Smash? The new Pikmin? A Wii Sports / Nintendo Land style game perhaps? A new Kid Icarus game or some other classic IP revival project? An actual Fire Emblem game that is not a Heroes game? Other third part games like a new Mega Man or ports of Dark Souls? Where was Monster Hunter? Other new IP? I did generally not see any signs that the 3DS support by Japanese developers and Nintendo themselves has now migrated to the Switch, which is worrying to me.

I'm torn here Gaf! I want to believe in the success and appeal of this thing but I can't fully right now despite some games looking quite good. If I did not have a Wii U, I would have been sold 100% but since I do have one it now feels like I'm being skipped over instead of targeted as a customer this time.

(What angers me, finally, is how Reggie actually admitted that the special editions of Breath of the Wild will be scarce. After all the shit people are going through to get hold of the Nes Classic and after all the shit they had to endure with amiibo, why would they do this to people? In Europe, the special edition does not even come with the carrying case - which is what interested me the most - but does cost 159 pounds or something outrageous because of the statue and CD I guess. Why do this? Where can I get the case now if I don't want to import one out of an already severly limited offering of copies in the US? Sigh...)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Treehouse has added really nothing to the whole situation. Sure, they demoed the new games, Arms and Snipperclips and that was great and there was another look at the other games that where also demoed in the conference, but in the end there's nothing major changed. Not even a surprise.

It just looks like Nintendo is intentionally stretching the few games they have to cover the time up until the holidays.

Which make me question the probability of Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey to be delayed. Mario, although rumoured to be closed to completion wasn't even playable at all here.

And what the hell did their development do in the past years?

Sagroth

For those saying we shouldn't complain about the price for the hybrid console we're getting, I somewhat agree with you, but then I look at the controller gimmicks. HD rumble could be kinda interesting maybe, but look at what they are using it for: counting balls. The same goes for the sensors. WiiU tells us that none of this stuff is likely to be used, and if it is used, it's gonna be the only way to interface(like Starfox) and be horrible. Heck, the only games that use it to start are glorified demos that you still have to pay for. If Nintendo had included 1,2 Switch with every system sold, I'd be less disappointed, but what I (and I think many others) would have preferred is to drop the gimmicky garbage altogether, which would have reduced the price for the system and controllers a great deal.

On another note: where the living hell are the games? WiiU has been a wasteland for over 2 years now. What have they been DOING all this time?

flattie

Wow. I didn't come away from the presentation feeling amazed myself, but I'm not getting the intense negativity towards the games. In less than a year, Nintendo will be releasing a stunning looking mainline Zelda, a meaty update to one of the Wii U's best games in MK8, a sequel to another in Splatoon 2, a new IP and will finish the year with a 64/Sunshine style Mario.

I get that people still want to see more variety and non-Nintendo stuff in there - but that's a strong first party lineup as far as I'm concerned. As strong as anything we'll be getting from MS and Sony this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom