• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch presentation date finalized, Jan 12, 8pm PT/Jan 13, 5am CET

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm going to laugh so hard when this event turns out to be Sony Japan levels of dryness and y'all are going to be so pissed about waking up early for a snoozefest.

I expect info, I expect announcements, I don't expect a show. That's what Tree House is for. That's what YouTube and Social Media are for.

Well than that is unfortunate for NIntendo as that's not a good to leave something like a console launch for a youtube video to explain and show off.

They have had tons of time and this thing comes out March.

oti

Banned
Well than that is unfortunate for NIntendo as that's not a good to leave something like a console launch for a youtube video to explain and show off.

It's just a stream and it's in Japanese even. That's not something the Western media and audiences in general can handle in a meaningful way. It doesn't even matter that much. The most viewed YT video won't be the hour long presentation in Japanese, it'll be a short YT video.

aBarreras

what? they arent leaving the console launch for a youtube video, they having this confference or presentation or whatever it is, what the hell do you want?

PSFan

I'm going to laugh so hard when this event turns out to be Sony Japan levels of dryness and y'all are going to be so pissed about waking up early for a snoozefest.

I expect info, I expect announcements, I don't expect a show. That's what Tree House is for. That's what YouTube and Social Media are for.

If anything is a snoozefest it's the Treehouse. It's boring as hell watching a bunch of people play video games.

Papacheeks

Banned
Well what are the major markets in this case? Japan, NA, Europe? How do you plan a several hours-long event in Japan that is timed conveniently for both NA and Europe?

And remember, there will be local events for the following two days in several locations worldwide (NY, London, Paris, probably more) in which press can get hands on time and write plenty of articles and impressions. I really can't think of a better way for them to disseminate this amount of information to be honest.

Multi- event for different regions. Reggie and someone else for US/UE/UK, and someone like Miyamoto or the likes for Japan. And your do it within a week. Each day is for a different region.

Then while one region's event is done the rest of the day until the next region event is getting hands on/impressions and info out to publications.

Each one will have games that are specific for those regions. Kind of how Sony launched PS4 with mostly Japanese based titles in Japan.

So while AMerica would be shown Zelda, Mario, and third party partnered games from West. Japan would be shown Nintendo first party with Japanese third party.

Multi- event for different regions. Reggie and someone else for US/UE/UK, and someone like Miyamoto or the likes for Japan. And your do it within a week. Each day is for a different region.

Then while one region's event is done the rest of the day until the next region event is getting hands on/impressions and info out to publications.

Each one will have games that are specific for those regions. Kind of how Sony launched PS4 with mostly Japanese based titles in Japan.

So while AMerica would be shown Zelda, Mario, and third party partnered games from West. Japan would be shown Nintendo first party with Japanese third party.
Booking multiple events of this scale seems incredibly inefficient to me
And then people would just complain that other regions are getting news first

Papacheeks

Banned
what? they arent leaving the console launch for a youtube video, they having this confference or presentation or whatever it is, what the hell do you want?

This conference is in fucking Japan dude? Isn't America, UK/ EU more important to home console sales?

Because so far, XBox and Playstation did not do their presentations in Japan they did them in the regions that consoles sell more in.

LordKano

If anything is a snoozefest it's the Treehouse. It's boring as hell watching a bunch of people play video games.

Treehouse is one of the greatest way to showcase games that I have ever seen. Much more honest than with faked trailers presented during press conferences.

Shiggy

This conference is in fucking Japan dude? Isn't America, UK/ EU more important to home console sales?

Because so far, XBox and Playstation did not do their presentations in Japan they did them in the regions that consoles sell more in.

I have good news for you. Switch is a handheld system.

It's a hybrid, and handhelds have more of an audience in Japan. And Xbox comparison is dumb because they have no presence at all in Japan. And we knew it was going to be in Japan since they announced this event, why complain now?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Worst comment I've seen in a while.

Treehouse has been by far the best thing to happen to E3 in ages. Exponentially better than hearing paid shills cheer for CGI trailers at presentations.

PSFan

Treehouse is one of the greatest way to showcase games that I have ever seen. Much more honest than with faked trailers presented during press conferences.

All I really want to know from these things is what's coming out and when. I don't need to spend hours or sometimes even days watching other people play games.

Treehouse has been by far the best thing to happen to E3 in ages. Exponentially better than hearing paid shills cheer for CGI trailers at presentations.

Yeah, okay. Whatever you say. It's the "worst comment" because you like something and others don't.

Papacheeks

Banned

Really dude? PSX, and Past 2 E3's by Sony and Microsoft are being loved and cheered by shills?

THE NDF is out in full force today.

It's a hybrid, and handhelds have more of an audience in Japan. And Xbox comparison is dumb because they have no presence at all in Japan. And we knew it was going to be in Japan since they announced this event, why complain now?

Thought maybe since they did the whole Jimmy Fallon thing they would have an event with Reggie for America/EU.

The language is more what bothers me. I'm hoping Nintendo either has a translator ready or has part of the presentation in English. No watching it later is going to adjust for the language barrier.
I'm sure they'll have some solution for language, be it subtitles prepared (since the whole thing will likelihood be scripted anyways), a translator present, or even a dubbed over video

Kid Heart

10 PM is a bit late for me, but I can still catch it live.

Here's hoping Mario Kart Switch is announced for launch along with maybe another surprise or two.

LordKano

Really dude? PSX, and Past 2 E3's by Sony and Microsoft are being loved and cheered by shills?

He's likely talking about the paid warm-up people who are part of the "tradition" for press conferences. And he would be right, it's really embarassing to hear them.

Only the "presentation" is in Japan, which is basically a goddamn press release with flair. Do you really want them to waste the time, energy and money to do the same presentation multiple times in different regions? It's going to be almost exactly the same information... You're basically asking for Nintendo to hold their own E3, Gamescom, and TGS within one day. The important details will be there, and the press will get region-specific information on price and release date at their own events.

The part that matters (hands on time) is already booked for the EU and US. They'll have a 5 hour press event in NYC on the 13th... That's more than enough coupled with their overall marketing. You're acting like everyone in the world needs to buy this on day one for it to be a success.

Only the "presentation" is in Japan, which is basically a goddamn press release with flair. Do you really want them to waste the time, energy and money to do the same presentation multiple times in different regions? It's going to be almost exactly the same information... You're basically asking for Nintendo to hold their own E3, Gamescom, and TGS within one day. The important details will be there, and the press will get region-specific information on price and release date at their own events.

The part that matters (hands on time) is already booked for the EU and US. They'll have a 5 hour press event in NYC on the 13th... That's more than enough coupled with their overall marketing. You're acting like everyone in the world needs to buy this on day one for it to be a success.

No, but Nintendo needs to definitely get the mindshare for this thing up high. The YouTube video doing as well as it did helped a lot, but Nintendo needs to make sure their messaging is clear and concise going forward. They literally have zero room for error.

Piscus

5am is early. 11pm is late. It all kind of sucks. But the time selection has been done in such a way that every single major region has feasible access to the live presentation. Any other time would have left someone in a terrible spot. No one should have to get up at 2am to watch this.

Papacheeks

Banned

I'm saying having a presser or presentation for regions like US/EU benefit them more for getting correct info out. People will have hands on at the press event but is all the info like tech specs, and such going to be straight forward told to them by Nintendo reps holding the controller for them to play?

Thats my point. Look at what happened with XBOX in may. It was a huge fiasco because there were so many conflicting reports. Unless im off the mark and they are doing something like that in US/EU?

Kazooie

Banned
(Friday)
January 13, 4 am GMT

What Sony and Nintendo think when they think about the UK:

OtGk2.jpg

KHlover

Banned

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427771

Might not want to get too used to that lingo.

Nintendo once did a 3DS conference in Japan without translation of any kind. Don't be so sure.

Nintendo has lots of Directs that only release in Japan and are not translated. The difference is that those are not announced and retweted by NOA and NOE.

I'm saying having a presser or presentation for regions like US/EU benefit them more for getting correct info out. People will have hands on at the press event but is all the info like tech specs, and such going to be straight forward told to them by Nintendo reps holding the controller for them to play?

Thats my point. Look at what happened with XBOX in may. It was a huge fiasco because there were so many conflicting reports. Unless im off the mark and they are doing someone like that in US?

If we're talking tech specs, why would that be different from region to region? The only information that will cater to each region are the price and release date. Do you really need two more presentations for that? As for games, it's doubtful that we'll see a dramatic difference in launch titles by region.

Finally, the massive fiasco around the Xbox One was not a result of only holding one region-specific press conference...

Nintendo once did a 3DS conference in Japan without translation of any kind. Don't be so sure.

Do you really think that both NOA and NOE would be posting about the live conference on social media if it weren't translated? Jesus...

11PM works out pretty well for me actually. Don't have to book off work or anything since I know I'm not gonna be working at that time.

phanphare

Banned

he specified E3 only and yeah, don't a lot of conferences have plants in the audience to cheer? wasn't there even applause piped in through the sound system one year? could be confusing that with the NFL as that happened there as well but I'm fairly certain it happened at an E3 presser as well.

also chill out with the immature bullshit

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why not just watch the event or read summaries after if the time is inconvenient for you

Haha. That's like missing half of the fun of a conference/Direct. No live tweets, no live comments of GAF, plus the chances of seeing the news before actually seeing the stream are pretty high.

"Why don't you watch this full live football game later, after you found out the score and there nobody left to comment about it live?"

phanphare

Banned
Haha. That's like missing half of the fun of a conference/Direct. No live tweets, no live comments of GAF, plus the chances of seeing the news before actually seeing the stream are pretty high.

"Why don't you watch this full live football game later, after you found out the score and there nobody left to comment about it live?"

I do know people who will sometimes dvr sports games and watch them later if they can't catch them live

also watching the highlights of a game you missed is a thing

AdanVC

One month left! Hope it pass by quickly thanks to the december festivities. Looking forward to this and just hoping for the best. Hoping Nintendo doesn't pull another E3 2012 and doesn't end up the show with fireworks : /

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I do know people who will sometimes dvr sports games and watch them later if they can't catch them live

also watching the highlights of a game you missed is a thing

Watching the highlights for a game that you care about is nice, but it's not even close to the feeling of watching the game live. Like with the conference, instead of tens of minutes of emotions you get maybe 5 minutes.

I feel like the odd man out here for enjoying conferences in solitude. I'll watch this live with my phone on Do Not Disturb and check out reactions after the fact. I have fairly decent internet (75Mbps) but I still tend to find that others are a few seconds ahead of me in a stream like this. There's nothing worse to me than watching something live, only to have Twitter ruin the surprise a few seconds before it happens. I strangely don't mind seeing the information hours ahead of time, but if I'm already watching the event I don't want to be spoiled right before something happens.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I'm not defending any company whatsoever--just the concept of Treehouse. I wish Sony and Microsoft did the exact same thing. Your statement is nowhere close to what I said. Didn't mention Sony by name at all. Microsoft has been known to pay people to sit in their crowds and cheer.

If I stay up to watch the presentation I might be too tempted to stay up all night and read all of the GAF comments. The responsible adult in me is telling me to just skip it and catch up during the next few days.

Top Bottom