• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jofamo

Sorry if this has been asked before. It's hard to find out.

I'm deciding between getting a Pro Controller, or a second pair of JoyCon. I'd love the traditional DPad of the Pro, but I'm leaning towards the JoyCon, as it means I can go completely Red on the tablet, and it opens up more options for multiplayer etc.

My question is, does the pair of JoyCon you can buy separately come with 2 wrist straps? The box for these shows them with the straps, but the descriptions so far don't mention it at all, and you can buy the straps separately. Anyone know?

NintendoSwitch_hardware_Joy_Con_08.jpg

Branduil

Sorry if this has been asked before. It's hard to find out.

I'm deciding between getting a Pro Controller, or a second pair of JoyCon. I'd love the traditional DPad of the Pro, but I'm leaning towards the JoyCon, as it means I can go completely Red on the tablet, and it opens up more options for multiplayer etc.

My question is, does the pair of JoyCon you can buy separately come with 2 wrist straps? The box for these shows them with the straps, but the descriptions so far don't mention it at all, and you can buy the straps separately. Anyone know?

NintendoSwitch_hardware_Joy_Con_08.jpg

Apparently it does include the straps, and the ones that are sold separately are a different color. That's what I heard last anyway.

Just finding out you can't charge while in tabletop mode, that's ridiculous.
I was going to blindly buy it because I can afford it, but I'm reconsidering. The console is amazing looking, but it has to be the most customer unfriendly product I've seen. It's death by a thousand paper cuts when it comes to the small issues with the Switch. The battery charge time, being unable to use a battery bank out of the box in tabletop mode, the usb-less joycon grip in the box, the possible voice chat issues, the paid online's lack of value, no pack in game, and the cost of the accessories really add up.

If this is a success with things as is, it'll set a bad precedence for Nintendo consumers. I want it bomb horribly so a better version will be released, a revamp of the online service, and/or massive price drops at the least.

Wolfie5

I am sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find anything on Nintendos site.

-How does the UI look like when you turn on the console? Does it load up fast?

-Nothing about VC?

-Will it have an internet browser?

-Will it have apps like youtube, netflix, etc?

Any videos available where you can see this stuff?

Just finding out you can't charge while in tabletop mode, that's ridiculous.

Nvm....misunderstanding

the USB-C port is on the bottom. You'd have to elevate the Switch (with an accessory, see the last page) somehow to charge while in that configuration.

Oh only tabletop mode and not undocked mode. I was in disbelief for a second thinking you can't charge the thing while playing in tablet mode

brad-t

Yep. Such a lame compromise. They could have figured out another solution for this. (A non accessory required solution.)

Nintendo_Switch_Nintendo.png

I dunno, the way the port is designed it seems like there would be space for the wire to come out the back. The port appears to be quite deep but the back is cut out, maybe explicitly for this purpose (and also likely to guide the dock insertion).

cyba89

One thing I just noticed there isn't some kind of sensor bar for this thing for pointer style controls. Is the IR camera in the Joy Con just for weird eating minigames then?

watershed

Banned
Nintendo_Switch_Nintendo.png

I dunno, the way the port is designed it seems like there would be space for the wire to come out the back. The port appears to be quite deep but the back is cut out, maybe explicitly for this purpose (and also likely to guide the dock insertion).

Thank god if true. Not being able to charge in tabletop mode would be a major oversight.

brad-t

Thank god if true. Not being able to charge in tabletop mode would be a major oversight.

I think so too, especially on a device that is otherwise well-engineered to support a myriad of play configurations. I assumed it would be impossible to charge too, but this pic gives me hope :'D

CrisKre

Wait, you mean that I can't charge this separately if I bring it on the go? If so, that's such a downer, because I travel a lot.
With the amount of shit this thing does and the insane industrial design that clearly had gone into it this is what we are complaining about now? Come on.. you guys are too much.

cyba89

It could entirely be motion-based like the dualshock 4's tilt?

Sure it could be motion based like in Skyward Sword (although that doesn't feel as good as regular Wii pointer controls).
But I fail to see what's the bigger purpose behind the IR camera then? It's currently a thing that's used in one minigame collection that otherwise just drives the price of the controller up.

Chindogg

The fucking demo video from October showed a guy using a plane charger while playing in tabletop mode.

Seriously some of you guys need to get your shit together when it comes to valid information.

watershed

Banned
The fucking demo video from October showed a guy using a plane charger while playing in tabletop mode.

Seriously some of you guys need to get your shit together when it comes to valid information.

Does it? Its not like you can expect everyone to remember every detail of every Switch video released so far. I haven't seen tabletop mode charging be a big topic so its natural that that info gets forgotten or buried in all the other coverage.

DavidDesu

Aha, I've only just cottoned on that in the separate Joycon pack the colours are flipped so you could make it red, or blue, on both sides. Kinda nice they worked it that way, but still random they never just let you buy a blue or a red Switch console. Red on both sides looks great, and this entices you to buy the extra Joycons to make it match... clever bastards!

I can't wait to get a Switch, in a year or so. I really like what I'm seeing in terms of the hardware. I just hope Nintendo get their act together with the online offerings (pricing will be key, if it's the same as PSN/XBL but only with NES/SNES rentals then that's just silly) and get a lot more indie games on the console and I'll be happy.

cyba89

No he doesn't use a charger. He's using the headphone port.

Rodin

I believe a docking station like the Wii U Gamepad one would solve this problem pretty easily even if for some reason it's not possible to do it otherwise, here's hoping companies won't charge too much for it. Looking at that pic i think it will be doable though.

KtSlime

Anyone else having second thoughts about their color choice?

Still trying to make up my mind. Once the Nintendo Store (Japan) opens up on the 23rd we will be able to individually choose both joy-con's colors. I think I might go with both blue? Such a hard choice.

ferunnico

Neo Member
I know you can use the Joy‑Cons to play multiplayer Mario Kart on the tablet, but will the same setup work when playing on the TV? Or would I need a second controller for that?

Anyone else having second thoughts about their color choice?
Yeah. I was going to go the black/grey, but I keep eyeing the coloured ones and doubting my decision.

Might buy the normal model and then get the coloured ones as extra controllers. Fucking Nintendo, why you do this? Lol.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
About charging when Switch is using the kickstand, maybe have a look at the thousands of hands on instead of using a stock picture from the Japanese site?

Yeah, about that, guess who needs to get his shit together now?

Motion controls in controller is pretty much industry standard and it will get used (for example for aiming in splatoon) HD rumble is used in Zelda and it really is nice.

obviously they have more games in the pipeline then what they have showed now.

After launch E3 will be just around the corner. I expect a lot of more information there.

E3 is 3 months after launch. From all the exclusive games announced so far, 1 is April, 1 is Spring and 1 is Summer. There's nothing E3 can do about that. Literally drought.

Joqu

Has anyone photoshopped a picture of a Switch with two neon red joycons? It's not my favourite red but I'd really like to see what that'd look like

The_Lump

Banned
A bit (I pre-ordered the grey) but I'll probably just wind up getting the neon Joy-cons separately. I like that it's an option.

Same... but visa versa. Got the neon one* but gonna buy grey joy-cons in case I regret.

actually got both but I THINK I'll cancel the grey

#fakegamenews

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Now that these events are over, this thread has served its purpose. Please continue to post new Switch information as new threads, as we will no longer be hosting any megathreads now that the system has been revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom