• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura has spoken: "No FFVII remake yet, Cloud might make another appearance soon."

Hex

Banned
Johnny Utah said:
Doesn't make any sense to remake FF7, why not make a sequel!?

Makes alot of sense I would think.
A good chunk of the work is already done as far as writing and scripting.
Profit vs work put into it would be favorable if not substantial, not only that it already has a rabid fan base.
That profit could fund something new, whether it were a sequel to FFVII or something else entirely.
Again though, it will happen when it happens and it will be a while.

A remake would be more like XIII than VII. They would probably condense the gameplay, increase the melodrama, remove the minigames, etc. Like someone posted earlier alot of us are letting nostalgia interfere with reality.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
It's amazing how long SE has been putting off a FF7 remake. The fans want it, and it will more than likely sell more copies than any of the FF7 Compilation games.

Assuming the game is Dissidia 2, does Nomura's entire team HAVE to focus 200% of their manpower to it, when they could dedicate some of their staff to start development on what would potentially be their big seller (in terms of FF7, at least)? If it's a console version, I understand, but he's worked on several console games at once, and now FF13 is off his plate.

I know he was working on FF13, FFvs13, Agito 13, Birth by Sleep (and 358/2 Days?), and Dissidia simultaneously. Did he have anything to do with Advent Children Complete? Anyways, his workload, to the best of our knowledge, has come down considerably: he's only working on FFvs13 and Agito 13, right? Besides that other "secret" game that Cloud may guest star in?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Alpha-Bromega said:
A remake would be more like XIII than VII. They would probably condense the gameplay, increase the melodrama, remove the minigames, etc. Like someone posted earlier alot of us are letting nostalgia interfere with reality.

D:

D:

Noooooooooooooo.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hobbun said:
Especially a lot of those Sephiroth scenes where you have the organ music going in the background or that one scene we all know about, but shouldn't talk about for those who haven't played the game.

It was Earth all along?

neoism said:
Does anyone know what FF12's team is doing next????

I thought a lot of the FFXII team was originally from FFXI? They're probably busy with FFXIV then.

StuBurns

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Not really a fair comparison point, as they probably amortized the cost of the engine/tools across the whole studio since they intend to use it for multiple projects. Most studios do this for core tech work.

As for the assets from AC bit, there's still quite a bit of work you'd have to do to get them working in a game engine, especially in regards to character models and rigs. You don't really have any restrictions when you do CG stuff, but getting film-quality assets working in a real-time game engine is non-trivial work.

And you're also a bit over-optimistic on the pre-production side. Yes, you don't have to do as much conceptualizing in terms of story and world and setting, but you still have to do quite a bit of concept art/grey boxing/prototyping/pre-viz/story-boarding even if you know the entire game. The devs will likely want to use new camera angles or add more detail to areas from the original, nevermind the technical side of things in terms of memory mapping/framerate optimization (i.e. how to sector an area for proper visual culling given a desired camera angle). There's more to pre-prod than just coming up with the story or characters or setting - you're planning on how to build the entire game.
The engine, initially it was a PS2 engine they were building specifically for FFXIII, they've talked about that quite a bit. And although now there are three games running on it, for quite awhile, it was only for XIII, if they budgeted engine development separately or not isn't really that important when the intent is for it to only be used on one game.

As for the CG, I think you misunderstood me, my fault I'm sure. I meant the CG assets for the CG that would be in the game.

The preproduction thing is true, but I said they'd have to do less, not none.

7Th

anoj2a.jpg

Fumetsu said:
Makes alot of sense I would think.
A good chunk of the work is already done as far as writing and scripting.
Profit vs work put into it would be favorable if not substantial, not only that it already has a rabid fan base.
That profit could fund something new, whether it were a sequel to FFVII or something else entirely.
Again though, it will happen when it happens and it will be a while.
:lol Yeah pity that's one of the least asset heavy parts of a game even for a final fantasy. Sure, having the focus from the start would save a lot, but a game like that now would still cost well over 10 million, and take years...

I know how you feel though, I can't wait to dress cloud up as a woman in glorious HD graphics! Times have changed, it would just be weird playing the exact same 1997 game (or muddled modernization of it) in a realistic style. Not to mention it could NEVER live up to fond memories and care-free associations people have of the time in their lives when they played the original (as Aonuma talked about in relation to a OoT remake late last year), and is destined to be a disappointment.

If they want to make money they are far better off doing the Advent Childrens and Crisis Cores, milking it slowly not one huge risky splash that no matter how miraculously good it is, will dry up the hunger instantly.

It was a great game, now lets move on.

Rustymonke said:
:lol Yeah pity that's one of the least asset heavy parts of a game even for a final fantasy. Sure, having the focus from the start would save a lot, but a game like that now would still cost well over 10 million, and take years...

I know how you feel though, I can't wait to dress cloud up as a woman in glorious HD graphics! Times have changed, it would just be weird playing the exact same 1997 game (or muddled modernization of it) in a realistic style. Not to mention it could NEVER live up to fond memories and care-free associations people have of the time in their lives when they played the original (as Aonuma talked about in relation to a OoT remake late last year), and is destined to be a disappointment.

If they want to make money they are far better off doing the Advent Childrens and Crisis Cores, milking it slowly not one huge risky splash that no matter how miraculously good it is, will dry up the hunger instantly.

It was a great game, now lets move on.
They could make a true remake of it on the handheld systems, and then do an updated version for the consoles. That way SE can milk FF7r where many people would buy both versions and everyone gets what version they want of the game if they don't want both.

Alpha-Bromega said:
I don't know about that - the minigames wouldn't be hard at all to add. The melodrama would certainly be naturally increased with the addition of voice acting, but it's already a pretty melodramatic game. I'd just hope they wouldn't remove any of the jokes/silly moments.

The gameplay would probably get revamped somewhat, given that FFX-2 completely blew away all previous iterations of the ATB and given that FFXII and FFXIII have much nicer-looking battle systems with more simultaneous action. If FFVII ever gets remade, I expect it to end up playing something like FFXIII but with character switching and without the Optima style of management.

zoukka

They would definately remove most of the quirkiness from the game. I do not want to witness this rape of a classic.

linkboy

Host Samurai said:
Does this mean we will get a 2D HD FF6 remake on PSN?

They are not even up to remaking 7 yet. Let them remake 6 first....on PSN HD.

I wish they would do something with the engine from the two PSP Final Fantasy remakes.

Those games looked great, shame the engine was wasted on more remakes of those games.

duckroll said:
So why did they remake Chain of Memories? It took as long as the original to make, clearly cost more, had higher production values, and it was packed in free with Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix + in Japan, and sold at budget price in the US a year later. :p

I don't think it was that pricey. It mostly reused textures from the past KH games, the character models were already there too. I think I remember an interview saying that they did it because they had most of the VAs around already, so they figured why not?

Though why they brought it over to the US and not Final Mix as well is a mystery.

It's because Square hates the US fans I tell ya.

Kishgal

Banned
PataHikari said:
I don't think it was that pricey. It mostly reused textures from the past KH games, the character models were already there too. I think I remember an interview saying that they did it because they had most of the VAs around already, so they figured why not?

Though why they brought it over to the US and not Final Mix as well is a mystery.

It's because Square hates the US fans I tell ya.
That was why they localized it, not why they made it.

Aru

Garl_Vinland said:
the FF VII Advent Children Complete blu-ray video quality is GORGEOUS. one of the best looking blu-ray movies i seen. wow.

This.

And I like how Cloud is in it. Different from what he is in FFVII, just to see that he evolved a bit (maybe not the good way, but still :p).

Give me Devil May Cloud, S-E.

Well they did say they will stop with the FF VII spin offs and such
, hopefully.
I guess he'll be in one of Nomura's future titles as a guest.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Garl_Vinland said:
the FF VII Advent Children Complete blu-ray video quality is GORGEOUS. one of the best looking blu-ray movies i seen. wow.

Eh... no. The new scenes yes, but for the original content, it's just upscaled and it's noticeable.

Hex

Banned
Kagari said:
Eh... no. The new scenes yes, but for the original content, it's just upscaled and it's noticeable.

It was kind of jarring at times.
(Still glad I picked it up though)

Kagari said:

i never had the original DVDs so can't compare. but this:

The standard definition release for Advent Children was pretty sexy, so naturally I was looking forward to seeing what Sony did with the Blu-ray release. For the most part the image is noticeably improved upon, and you can see subtle details that were changed here and there. The higher resolution of the Blu-ray brings this film ever closer to perfection and you'd be hard-pressed to find a disc that is more suitable for showing off your home theater. The higher out does allow for some minor aliasing to show up now and then, but those moments are fleeting at best and hardly worth mentioning when looking at the image as a whole. This is a gorgeous experience from start to finish and it's about as close to reference material as you're going to get.

- http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37569/final-fantasy-vii-advent-children-complete

Seems like the blu-ray release improves upon the DVD one. so yeah :p

If remade they have to take notes from Capcom on how to properly remake a game. REmake took everything from the original and turned it up 10 notches without hindering the game play from the classic. That said FF7 remake needs a turn based system

jling84 said:
The Cloud appearance he's talking about better not be a costume for LBP or something.
I completely forgot about that. I'm wondering if that's coming sometime this year. MM should create levels based off of FFVII as well, so it would hold people over a bit until the real remake comes out... which seems like will be years and years from now. I'm thinking Nomura is just focusing on Versus now, then KH, and after that, it's only obvious what he is going to do.

lethial said:
People need to let FF7 go. Like Shenmue, it's not going to happen.

Oh, it's happening. It's the most requested remake in all of gaming. Only question is when. I'm guessing 20th anniversary at the latest and 15th anniversary at the earliest.

neptunes

cosmicblizzard said:
Oh, it's happening. It's the most requested remake in all of gaming. Only question is when. I'm guessing 20th anniversary at the latest and 15th anniversary at the earliest.
Dude.....let it go man, wishing for it to happen is like wish for you and an ex to get back together.

Tarazet

I just spent 40 hours replaying FFVII again. It doesn't need a remake. It's far more vibrant and memorable as it is than it could ever be under the modern S-E. Either you love it as-is and would hate a remake, or you don't like it and wouldn't like a remake either. That's the truth.

Besides, they would surely disable the W-Item cheat.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
lethial said:
People need to let FF7 go. Like Shenmue, it's not going to happen.
Oh yeah, like Square Enix never remade their classic RPGs.

It's just not the time yet. But there's no doubt it'll come someday.

Top Bottom