• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not a new zelda video oblivion is a retard

ah but that's the thing, that's all graphics really are. how good a game looks. you can make a game look better through superior art, technical effects or a combination of both.

i've seen technically impressive games that look like shit, and games that aren't technically that good that i thought looked great (Killer 7 for example).

graphics are really just whats on the screen, some people around here mistake 'graphics' for 'how whats on the screen is displayed'.

Im really aware of what ure saying, though the funny thing is that i fell myself into that logic. Ive made this discussion about what constitutes "good graphics", always pissing on the idiotic tendency of people these days to comment on graphics as it were a number of polygons, bump maps and pixels. Graphics is a greek word, and being a greek you can really understand what they really are by looking into its native meaning.

Banned
So do you think this will be the only Wii Zelda? I hope not, as this has been shoehorned into the Wii, and i'd hope that a few years into it, they could make a Zelda that surpasses it. I'd rather this got delayed ANOTHER year if that's the case. Otherwise it could be all we get (which isn't bad coz it looks amazing) or at least 3 years till another one.

666 said:
So do you think this will be the only Wii Zelda? I hope not, as this has been shoehorned into the Wii, and i'd hope that a few years into it, they could make a Zelda that surpasses it. I'd rather this got delayed ANOTHER year if that's the case. Otherwise it could be all we get (which isn't bad coz it looks amazing) or at least 3 years till another one.
they've said that they'll be making a zelda just for the Wii and it should surpass this graphically with ease if that's the case, so long as all their artists don't up and leave before then :)

but in the mean time, i think this'll do.

Links slashes in game do not correspond to slashes made by wiimote, Wii version is POINTLESS

300 dollars for the same game with shittier controls

Der Kommisar said:
Links slashes in game do not correspond to slashes made by wiimote, Wii version is POINTLESS

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

vgamer1

TheWolf said:
hmm, even the doors open in a different direction now. so i guess they really did just mirror the entire game to make Link right handed?

does that strike anyone else as kind of like, lazy?

Ugh, It should have stayed the same... LEFT HANDED PEOPLE, UNITE!

Pureauthor said:
Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Nope. What's the point of using the wiimote if Link isn't going to do exactly what I do?

If I slash downwards and diagonally, Link should also. I don't want "gestures". I don't wan't to use the wiimote and see the same ****ing thing I would see if I just pressed a ****ing button!

It's called too many animation routines to count, it would be a task of monumental proportions to animate all the movements you're doing with the Wiimote onscreen.

Der Kommisar said:

Because the sword controls are the only control difference over the GC version. Oh, and proof the controls are "shittier?" Seems that the majority of hands-on are quite positive on the Wii version controls. Doesn't sound shitty to me.

LegendofJoe said:
It's called too many animation routines to count, it would be a task of monumental proportions to animate all the movements you're doing with the Wiimote onscreen.

Wasn't the point of Wii "full analog 3d control with our revolutionary controller"... doesn't sound like some animation routines to me.

loosus

Banned
Wait, the slashes made by the remote don't correspond to his sword? Then what's the point? Why not just assign it to a button and be done with it?

They would have to literally map every single possible movement of the sword in order to do what you're asking. Fine for a game from ground up. NOT fine for a game that's a GCN port.

Sheesh.

Hunter D

Does anyone know if the draw distance will be the same in both versions of the game? If the wii version is the only version with that wonderful draw distance I will skip the cube version.

loosus

Banned
Pureauthor said:
They would have to literally map every single possible movement of the sword in order to do what you're asking. Fine for a game from ground up. NOT fine for a game that's a GCN port.

Sheesh.
Sounds like it should've been assigned to a button then.

amirox I take it you played the Wii version and didnt like the controlls compared to the GC version wich you must have also played.

If you Have NOT played the wii nor GC version you dont know what version is inferior to the other.

I played the Wii version and I think it was awsome and very cool and feelt fresh, dont know about the GC version but I guess it will controll the sameway as Windwaker.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

A bunch of Nfans baiting Amirox (by name, no less) while simultaneously complaining about him allegedly trying to convince them to buy a different version of Zelda... while actively trying to convince him to buy a different version of Zelda.

loosus said:
Sounds like it should've been assigned to a button then.

Aside from the fact that there most probably wouldn't be enough?

More'n' likely there'll be a 'zone' for each direction of the Wiimote swing - not a perfect 1:1 representation, but close enough.

A bunch of Nfans baiting Amirox (by name, no less) while simultaneously complaining about him allegedly trying to convince them to buy a different version of Zelda... while actively trying to convince him to buy a different version of Zelda.

I, for one, don't care which version he gets. What I care about (in the sense that it pisses me off) is his constant declamations against the Wii version EVERY SINGLE TIME he informs us he's getting the GCN version.

Not to say other idiots aren't guilty of doing the exact opposite, but he's the one who does it the most regularly.

Okay, so you agree with Amir0x about the distinction between a game built ground up for Wii and a game intended for GameCube?

So you see how the Wii version is insufficient in some way, or less fully realized, than it's Cub counterpart (within the limitations of its respective console)?

K.

Wait wut. The Wii version can do everything the GCN version does. The only difference is the action necessary to pull a move off.

Zilch

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

To be fair, he's being a big crybaby about the whole control method thing. The baiting, I would say, is deserved.

Zilch said:
To be fair, he's being a big crybaby about the whole control method thing. The baiting, I would say, is deserved.

He wasn't in this topic until someone namedropped him for no reason.

And I see plenty of crybabies defending the Wii version. He's defending himself.

Pureauthor said:

Sheesh.

Okay, so you agree with Amir0x about the distinction between a game built ground up for Wii and a game intended for GameCube?

So you see how the Wii version is insufficient in some way, or less fully realized, than it's Cub counterpart (within the limitations of its respective console)?

K.

Pureauthor said:
I, for one, don't care which version he gets. What I care about (in the sense that it pisses me off) is his constant declamations against the Wii version EVERY SINGLE TIME he informs us he's getting the GCN version.

Not to say other idiots aren't guilty of doing the exact opposite, but he's the one who does it the most regularly.

Someone dragged him into this topic. Was it you? I don't remember.

IGN said:
Once Link has an enemy locked, gamers simply swipe the pointer to and fro, causing the character to whip out his blade and go to work. The slicing mechanic is not one-to-one, which means that it feels nothing like holding and swinging a baseball bat in Wii Sports Baseball, for instance. Rather, if players gesture a swipe, Link will also swipe his sword - but it may not be in the same direction. We motioned several up and down swipes and occasionally Linked sliced sideways anyway.

Hooray for canned animations!

IGN said:
Once Link has an enemy locked, gamers simply swipe the pointer to and fro, causing the character to whip out his blade and go to work. The slicing mechanic is not one-to-one, which means that it feels nothing like holding and swinging a baseball bat in Wii Sports Baseball, for instance. Rather, if players gesture a swipe, Link will also swipe his sword - but it may not be in the same direction. We motioned several up and down swipes and occasionally Linked sliced sideways anyway.

Ouch.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's funny to see the usual Nintendo haters being so affected by the sudden praise Nintendo gets with their wii. After the DS success, it looks like it's too hard for some to swallow.

Fishing with the Wiimote >>>>>>> fishing with the GC controller.
16/9 >>>>>>>4/3.
And we don't know shit about the remaining Link's arsenal. I'm pretty sure the wiimote will shine in many, many other occasions in this gem.

AdmiralViscen said:
Someone dragged him into this topic. Was it you? I don't remember.

No, it was some guy named Saoh. Admittedly, I challenged him when he came in and stated that Wii controls would be bad.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Last word from me on the controller thing. I'll wait till the reviews come out then I'll decide which version to get. This is why nintendo should have canceled the GC version. There would have been no debate and it would have forced players who want zelda to get the wii version. ****ed up? yes! Smart Business decision! I think so...

Once again they are going to gamble by not releasing a mario game at launch. Now they also gave potential buyers the oppurtunity to play the best launch game on the gamecube.

Weird if you ask me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I will wait till reviews yeah, but right now GC version is it. I dont have to buy a new system for that.

is kind of funny how Nintendo praise innovation and new stuff on Wii yet their flagship launch title is a port of a gamecube game, pretty ironic. they should had released this game a year ago and make SMG the launch title to get.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Error2k4 said:
I will wait till reviews yeah, but right now GC version is it. I dont have to buy a new system for that.

is kind of funny how Nintendo praise innovation and new stuff on Wii yet their flagship launch title is a port of a gamecube game, pretty ironic. they should had released this game a year ago and make SMG the launch title to get.

Its crazy how much the Wii launch resembles the DS launch. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing :D

Amir0x

Banned
robertsan21 said:
dont know about the GC version but I guess it will controll the sameway as Windwaker.

Wind Waker controls amazingly, thankfully.

Pureauthor said:
What I care about (in the sense that it pisses me off) is his constant declamations against the Wii version EVERY SINGLE TIME he informs us he's getting the GCN version.

I came in this thread merely to defend myself when someone brought me into this conversation. I did not say anything else about the subject in this thread until that time. He wondered why, and I explained it to him. I use the language I will, and I'm not going to change that because we have people who cry about semantics.

Zilch said:

How am I being a crybaby? I didn't say a single thing about it until he brought it up. I have nothing to cry about: As long as the GCN version is coming out, why would I care about an inferior version? The answer is I don't, he mentioned me and so once again I explained why since he said he couldn't understand. Simple as that.

Xdrive05

Hunter D said:
Does anyone know if the draw distance will be the same in both versions of the game? If the wii version is the only version with that wonderful draw distance I will skip the cube version.

Gamecube version looks like it has the same draw distance to me. Check the E3'06 trailer. the horse part for example. You can see everything.

All evidence points to two versions being identical graphics wise, sans 16:9 and HD for the cube.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Amir0x said:
As long as the GCN version is coming out, why would I care about an inferior version?
The superior version is the 4/3 one then? Hello, Amir0x?

Ok, why not. Good to see you can prefer controls over graphics.
Maybe you will stop trolling the wii now you've come to this realization?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
s kind of funny how Nintendo praise innovation and new stuff on Wii yet their flagship launch title is a port of a gamecube game, pretty ironic. they should had released this game a year ago and make SMG the launch title to get.

Is it really funny? Your logic is flawed in my opinion anyway. If Zelda is a port then why are you playing it on the Wii first. EAD maybe had as much as 18 months to design the game after the Wii decision may have been made.

Maybe you mean that the game development originated on the GameCube, well there are alot of games like that. Infact, I dare you to name me one console launch title you can condifently say started development on the ground up for said system.

The bottom line is what exactly is ironic about "innovation" when you can't play Zelda with the Wii controls. Nintendo is praising the innovation of the controller. Zelda is a great example (if Nintendo succeeds) to show how a 3D Action-Adventure RPG (whew!) can work with the controls.

have nothing to cry about: As long as the GCN version is coming out, why would I care about an inferior version? The answer is I don't, he mentioned me and so once again I explained why since he said he couldn't understand. Simple as that.

I think the GCN version will be the inferior version ultimately. The controls are pretty good and IMO there is nothing you will do better on the Cube controller. The only thing I would say is that it's a new control scheme with a learning curve. For the first 5 minutes you may press a to swing just because you have been trained to do that. Once you learn the controls, there may be no going back.

Honestly, the analog on the nunchuk is a little better than the cube, and manually aiming with the c-stick is also something i could do away with. Will the sword swinging work in the 30 hour quest? We will have to wait and see.

Amir0x

Banned
marc^o^ said:
The superior version is the 4/3 one then? Hello, Amir0x?

Ok, why not. Good to see you can prefer controls over graphics.
Maybe you will stop trolling the wii now you've come to this realization?

Believe me, it kills me that it's not 16:9 - but if that's the only revelatory improvement, then of course the GCN version is better. Visually they still look essentially the same, and it's not like the Wii version has 720p. So yeah, superior controls DO trump 16:9, if it had many other visual enhancements then maybe the tune would be different

that's it, i'm getting both, wagglefied mirrored wii version, and regular gc version, tough it's like paying 50 bucks for something some games offer as an unlockable (the mirrored mode)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Is it really funny? Your logic is flawed in my opinion anyway. If Zelda is a port then why are you playing it on the Wii first. EAD maybe had as much as 18 months to design the game after the Wii decision may have been made.

Maybe you mean that the game development originated on the GameCube, well there are alot of games like that. Infact, I dare you to name me one console launch title you can condifently say started development on the ground up for said system.

The bottom line is what exactly is ironic about "innovation" when you can't play Zelda with the Wii controls. Nintendo is praising the innovation of the controller. Zelda is a great example (if Nintendo succeeds) to show how a 3D Action-Adventure RPG (whew!) can work with the controls.
dude TP was originaly a GC game that's fact they delayed just to add Wiimote controls and release it on Wii, and my logic is flawed how so? you are going to play Zelda first on Wii because Nintendo want to market it as Wii game to get this launch and having it relase with the gamecube version will kind of contradict that. the GC version is completed and it has been completed for over a year now, they just didnt want to waste the game on the GC.

I dont know if the game will control well or no with the Wiimote, but why bother with that if I can play the game PERFECTLY on my GC without having to buy a Wii at launch? Amir0x and I disagree on many things but I agree with him on this. Zelda was made for GC and it's meant to be played on GC no matter what bullshit PR Nintendo uses.

TheWolf

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:

I think the GCN version will be the inferior version ultimately. The controls are pretty good and IMO there is nothing you will do better on the Cube controller. The only thing I would say is that it's a new control scheme with a learning curve. For the first 5 minutes you may press a to swing just because you have been trained to do that. Once you learn the controls, there may be no going back.

Honestly, the analog on the nunchuk is a little better than the cube, and manually aiming with the c-stick is also something i could do away with. Will the sword swinging work in the 30 hour quest? We will have to wait and see.

just looking of videos of people playing at e3 and the NY event, compared to those at e3 '05, i'd say the Cube version plays much better.

and where does this c-stick aiming stuff come from? what Zelda game has ever used that? i'm sure arrows will be shot in first person with the left analog stick used for aiming, just like Wind Waker.

and the GC version will have the true layout, not the mirrored version. :)

Xdrive05

Amir0x said:
Believe me, it kills me that it's not 16:9 - but if that's the only revelatory improvement, then of course the GCN version is better. Visually they still look essentially the same, and it's not like the Wii version has 720p. So yeah, superior controls DO trump 16:9, if it had many other visual enhancements then maybe the tune would be different

Please promise that you'll murder any posters who get the Wii version and spoil it in any way, at least until we can get it for the 'cube. Otherwise I'm not using GAF until the Dec. 11th.

:D

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
dude TP was originaly a GC game that's fact they delayed just to add Wiimote controls and release it on Wii

Well the game was delayed. I mean I think we all know that the GameCube had a tough life cycle. Zelda potentially was "too little too late". I mean, from the perspective of a true gamer who just wants awesome games, Zelda on Cube last December would have been awesome. However, Zelda: Twilight Princess is a big game from Nintendo. Perhaps there biggest game ever. One worthy of a spotlight to as big of an audience as possible.

We do know that at some point in 2005 (before the August official announcement), Aonuma confirmed Zelda would not be released in 2005. I mean the minute the development team knew that Zelda would not release in 2005, I am sure the Wii was already the answer.

The main point, is that Zelda: Twilight Princess did not go gold in November 2005, and then resurface code for code with Wiimote a year later. The development team had 12-18 months of Wii development where the Wii influenced the development of the game. If this game were a simple port, this would not have been the case.

We as outsiders, how do we know what dungeons, puzzles were changed since just for the Wii in mind?

We are all aware the game is going to have strong GameCube origins because of hardware architecture and the fact that is it crossly developed for two platforms. But the development time clearly gives it some significance over it being a UBI Soft/Activision/EA/Capcom port in the traditional sense of the word.

the GC version is completed and it has been completed for over a year now, they just didnt want to waste the game on the GC.

Dude that is false. If the game didn't go gold last year, it was never completed.

I dont know if the will control well or no, but why bother with that if I can play the game PERFECTLY on my GC without having to buy a Wii at launch? Amir0x and I disagree on many things but I agree with him on this. Zelda was made for GC and it's meant to be played on GC no matter what bullshit PR Nintendo uses.

When using the nunchuck. The Wii isn't an alien planet compared to the GameCube. You are not playing one game in black and white, and one in color. Most of Zelda Wii (just like Mario Galaxy) is deeply rooted by using many elements of the GameCube controller. That is why there isn't such a big difference IMO. In essence, you are still running, and jumping, talking to people just the same. Instead of pressing A, you now swing a sword. Instead of using the analog stick to aim, you use the pointer.

just looking of videos of people playing at e3 and the NY event, compared to those at e3 '05, i'd say the Cube version plays much better.

There is a learning curve. You could witness people hitting the A button instead of swinging the sword. It is a new control scheme. I mean if you are watching someone learning, versus someone learned, which will look better. It's obvious no. But that isn't a determining factor for the game. Not until you play it on your own.

At this NY event, it was full of a lot of journalist who sucked at Prime and Zelda. Infact, most weren't good at any of the nunchuck games.

TheWolf

Banned
MasterMFauli said:
The wii-version has both.
Owned, i´d say.

according to Miyamoto, Link is left handed on the GC version and not the Wii version. so i'd venture to say that it doesn't.

Zilch

Banned
Amir0x said:
How am I being a crybaby? I didn't say a single thing about it until he brought it up. I have nothing to cry about: As long as the GCN version is coming out, why would I care about an inferior version? The answer is I don't, he mentioned me and so once again I explained why since he said he couldn't understand. Simple as that.

Going on and on about the 'inferior version' (which you've said in this very post) seems so juvenile to me. The Wii version isn't objectively 'inferior' and you trying to assert such a belief is eye-rolling, especially because you do it in every Zelda thread.

For the record, I'll be getting the GC version. Mainly because I'm not buying any new consoles within the first year or so of launch.

TheWolf said:
according to Miyamoto, Link is left handed on the GC version and not the Wii version. so i'd venture to say that it doesn't.

According to the informations we have, you can choose at the beginning of the game, if you are right- or left-handed, and if you´re right-handed, the game mirrors.

TheWolf

Banned
MasterMFauli said:
According to the informations we have, you can choose at the beginning of the game, if you are right- or left-handed, and if you´re right-handed, the game mirrors.

take it up with IGN and Miyamoto, i guess...

IGN said:
September 14, 2006 - There's a slight difference between the Link found in the Wii and GameCube versions of Twilight Princess. Have you been able to spot it?

The answer is in how Link holds his sword. Responding to questions at a Q&A session in Tokyo today, producer Shigeru Miyamoto stated that Link was initially supposed to be left-handed in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, like he is in the GameCube version. However, noting that more users will swing the controller with the right hand, Nintendo made Link hold the sword in his right hand just for the Wii version.

So there you have it. Link is right handed on Wii and left handed on GameCube.

Top Bottom