• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

Majmun

boy that does make things seem even bleaker

what a weird industry this would be if Sony went bust from all their shitty business decisions and Nintendo had to bow out of hardware development to only make software for Microsoft platforms or something

and the rest of us had to suffer Kinect Nintendo games for the rest of our days

Bye, I'd prefer hoop on a stick over that

Honestly, I know that many GAFfers would disagree with me. But my personal enjoyment of Nintendo as a company would go up greatly if they just did portable hardware and software. On the whole I've enjoyed the GBA, DS and 3DS much more than the N64, GameCube and Wii. If Wii-U was a relative failure enough to not kill the company, but to put more focus and first part game development time on the 3DS I'd be more than fine with that.
That would be the best thing for them at this point as they clearly don't have the resources to support multiple platforms.

Tobor

How's the Japanese support on Steam? Honest question.

P.S. I am willfully neglecting Maxim's post.. its just too depressing to reply to :p.

Nowhere near console output, but it's getting better. In a hypothetical scenario where Sony and Nintendo are both done? It would explode.

AniHawk

i'm not a big fan of sony, but i think they turned into a company that actually cares about game development. even though i think they make dumb things, they have their heart in the right place. i think it comes with the territory once you've been around so long. same with nintendo.

if both nintendo and sony leave, i'd probably check up on valve. valve is sorta my new nintendo anyway.

Actually that would work but still think they should make software for the other consoles.
That would cheapen the brand and make their handhelds less unique. I can't see it happening with the current management in place but with new blood who knows.
i'm not a big fan of sony, but i think they turned into a company that actually cares about game development. even though i think they make dumb things, they have their heart in the right place. i think it comes with the territory once you've been around so long. same with nintendo.

if both nintendo and sony leave, i'd probably check up on valve. valve is sorta my new nintendo anyway.
Part of what's killing Sony right now is the fact that they've come to care so much about game developement. Investing so heavily in 1st party studios has lead to them lessening the importance of 3rd party exclusives and well, we see the results of that attitude :(

I do wonder if too little credit is being given to NSMB and Mario Kart for the success of the DS and Wii. It looks like they were just along for the ride after NSMBU failed to push the WiiU much, but NSMB and MKDS still look pretty vital to the DS' success looking back on it (and how the DS rose after NSMB).

Maybe NSMB lost a little appeal instead of not having any power and being along for the ride.

UberTag

Part of what's killing Sony right now is the fact that they've come to care so much about game development. Investing so heavily in 1st party studios has lead to them lessening the importance of 3rd party exclusives and well, we see the results of that attitude :(
Beyond that, they've spread themselves so thin in 1st-party development that they can't even bother to spare the time/money marketing half the titles they release on the PS3 or pretty much anything for the Vita. They're all just sent to die and then Sony rationalizes it's due to some failure on the studio's part and is forced to shut them down or cut off ties. A lot of these guys thought they'd grow into the next Sucker Punch, Insomniac or Media Molecule and were instead obliterated after a single game or two.

FLEABttn

Banned
Part of what's killing Sony right now is the fact that they've come to care so much about game developement. Investing so heavily in 1st party studios has lead to them lessening the importance of 3rd party exclusives and well, we see the results of that attitude :(

I think you're confusing cause for effect.

The lessened importance of third party exclusive, caused by the lack of an obvious market leader (that third parties actually support), has caused an increased importance in first party studios.

PSX and PS2 got third party exclusives from being such dominant consoles in their era. The 360 and PS3 are similar in overall sales. What third party is going to ignore half their potential customers?

$249.99 with nsmbu would be extremely helpful. nintendo won't do it because they'd lose on an insane amount of cash and miss their income goals by a lot, but it might be a risk to take in the short run to stay alive in the long run.

nintendoland won't do anything because it's a confusing mess.

while the vb was slated to replace the game boy, the game boy was still around, still had games coming out, and was getting revisions and colors. that next year, pokemon came out and revived the game boy line in full force.

there's nothing like that with the wii u. if nintendo axes the system, they'll be sitting with no console being supported for a year while they work on its successor, much like the situation with sega and the saturn.

The Wii just got a refresh with many different colors and Nintendo is still releasing games for it. Unlikely but it could happen. They could remake the WiiU as a Wii 2 without the controller packed in.

Azure J

Same. After the garbage festivals that were the Wii, Wii U, PS3, and Vita, I'm not sure if anyone would miss Sony or Nintendo at this point.

What the actual fuck.

Somewhat of a tangent: I really don't get how enthusiast gamers can hope for an entire console vendor to go belly up sometimes.

I think you're confusing cause for effect.

The lessened importance of third party exclusive, caused by the lack of an obvious market leader (that third parties actually support), has caused an increased importance in first party studios.

PSX and PS2 got third party exclusives from being such dominant consoles in their era. The 360 and PS3 are similar in overall sales. What third party is going to ignore half their potential customers?
Sony said specifically going into this gen that their goal was to beef up their 1st parties and abandon moneyhats for exclusive 3rd party games. I would imagine that their end goal was becoming a software publishing powerhouse to rival Nintendo after seeing the profits that business model usually brings in but it seems to have cost Sony a lot of the clout that they once had with 3rd party publishers.

Think of the types of games that they were able to demand for the PSP. Could you imagine the Vita getting two exclusive GTA games in today's reality?

Sony said specifically going into this gen that their goal was to beef up their 1st parties and abandon moneyhats for exclusive 3rd party games. I would imagine that their end goal was becoming a software publishing powerhouse to rival Nintendo after seeing the profits that business model usually brings in but it seems to have cost Sony a lot of the clout that they once had with 3rd party publishers.

Think of the types of games that they were able to demand for the PSP. Could you imagine the Vita getting two exclusive GTA games in today's reality?

Sure, get Nihilistic on the phone.

kswiston

Nowhere near console output, but it's getting better. In a hypothetical scenario where Sony and Nintendo are both done? It would explode.

Getting better means we get Capcom ports and a very small handful of others. For instance, you can count the number of JRPGs on Steam using your fingers. Even though PC is my main platform, Steam and other services have a long way to go before I could ditch Sony and Nintendo consoles altogether.

What the actual fuck.

Somewhat of a tangent: I really don't get how enthusiast gamers can hope for an entire console vendor to go belly up sometimes.

Speaking from experience, when I was a kid enjoying my newly released 360, all the Sony fans waiting for the PS3 were real jerks. So now as a grown up I have an innate distaste for Sony. Not their fault really.

donny2112

to be fair, it's what they did with the ds and the gamecube, and people didn't expect it of the wii. people actually wanted the wii.

I sort of expected the Wii reception to not be that great and to get a price drop like with GameCube, yes. Didn't want to repeat jumping early and paying more like happened there. 3DS was just not worth $250 at launch, at all. It's not about buying for "potential," unless you just have nothing else to play. Therefore, it might be okay, like you're saying. It's really the only thing they can do reasonably in the short-term, if they do it alongside a significant game launch, like if Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3 came out the week of the price drop or something.

Targeting 100 billion yen operating profit for next FY seems irresponsible in the face of the current console status, though.

What the actual fuck.

Some could argue Nintendo had abandoned their core userbase for a quick buck in the last few generations, so this is a form of desired payback.

Nintendo is best when they're struggling to compete. They didn't give a SHIT about competitors with the Wii.

FLEABttn

Banned

I'd be lying if I said I was particularly familiar with the PSP's history, but even the PSP GTA games weren't console exclusive and ported to PS2. I assume because Rockstar assumed the PSP would do numbers significantly better numbers in the west than it actually did. There was no PSP San Andreas. If Sony being able to command third party exclusives is not related to position in the market, where was that game?

Western, exclusive, third party support seemed to not last particularly long with the PSP, with the third party exclusives coming out in the later half of its life being games with an eastern appeal, because of how much better PSP sales were in Japan.

You either pay for third party exclusives, or you create and exist in an environment that allows them to occur without moneyhats. Current gen, Sony seems to have favored first party exclusives over moneyhatting things they don't own. Likely a wiser choice.

Mindlog

Sales GAF: What's the metric to define an active user?

This will feature prominently later as XBOX Live proves to be lucrative yet possibly asphyxiating (profit increase at the expense of marketshare) and why PS+ should be advertised more than any other Playstation product (motivate active online users (think Steam Sales).) Also why the WiiU's biggest problem was a poor warm-up act (Wii's unremarkable end.) A back-port of some Mii-Verse features would have been a tremendous help with a slightly more active Wii user base.

Some could argue Nintendo had abandoned their core userbase for a quick buck in the last few generations, so this is a form of desired payback.

Nintendo is best when they're struggling to compete. They didn't give a SHIT about competitors with the Wii.
This is what drove me crazy abou the Wii. Nintendo did have some of their best ever software output on the system but it really did seem at times that they didn't care what people did with their Wiis as long as they sold them. Wear the damn thing as a hat for all they cared because they made so much profit off of each one.

There were long stretches where they inexplicably released no software and when the executives were asked in interviews about it they would say that the console was selling well without software so it didn't matter. Well, I wonder if they're reconsidering that now that people seem so hesitant to buy that console's successor.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Someone educate me on the significance of a so-called leap week? January's the exact same length every year....
The retail calendar assigns 4 or 5 weeks to each month:

Jan, Feb = 4
Mar = 5
Apr, May = 4
Jun = 5
Jul, Aug = 4
Sep = 5
Oct, Nov = 4
Dec = 5

But this is only 52 weeks each year, and eventually that gets out of synchronization with the actual calendar. So there is an extra week in January occasionally to keep everything in sync. That happened in January 2007 and again in January 2013. Those were 5-week January months.

Speaking from experience, when I was a kid enjoying my newly released 360, all the Sony fans waiting for the PS3 were real jerks. So now as a grown up I have an innate distaste for Sony. Not their fault really.

I was an adult at 360 launch. I remember standing in a Blockbuster during summer 2006 waiting to check out my rental copy of GRAW (or some other shooter) for 360. A ten-year-old boy behind me in line said, loudly "why did you buy a 360? I'm getting a PS3, it's THREE TIMES as powerful!".

Was irritated as hell. And at his parents, who were with him, for letting him be a rude little dick.

And of course I bought a PS3 at launch regardless.

And of course there are 360 fans who are dicks also.

MrMephistoX

The Wii just got a refresh with many different colors and Nintendo is still releasing games for it. Unlikely but it could happen. They could remake the WiiU as a Wii 2 without the controller packed in.

Wii U without the controller is one of the dumbest memes on GAF: rebranding as Wii 2 might actually be an idea worth considering but I think just marketing the thing in general and getting a huge effort in 1st party releases would do wonders since Nintendo Direct only reaches core gamers. Ambassador program and a price drop part II.

donny2112

9cUOgnT.png

Mathematica! Cool. :)

evangd007

In terms of bodies Nintendo is a small enough company to survive solely off of making handhelds for Japan if they were forced to shrink their scope out of the foreign home console market.

And I'm certain that, due to their culture, they'd prefer that to any option that would have them making games on hardware not their own.

I could totally live with a Steam & iOS future.

Would be the death of quality Japanese games as we know it. No thanks, I'll keep my 3DS and throw that i-whatever into a fire.

I'd be lying if I said I was particularly familiar with the PSP's history, but even the PSP GTA games weren't console exclusive and ported to PS2. I assume because Rockstar assumed the PSP would do numbers significantly better numbers in the west than it actually did. There was no PSP San Andreas. If Sony being able to command third party exclusives is not related to position in the market, where was that game?

Western, exclusive, third party support seemed to not last particularly long with the PSP, with the third party exclusives coming out in the later half of its life being games with an eastern appeal, because of how much better PSP sales were in Japan.

You either pay for third party exclusives, or you create and exist in an environment that allows them to occur without moneyhats. Current gen, Sony seems to have favored first party exclusives over moneyhatting things they don't own. Likely a wiser choice.
Surprisingly the PSP GTA games sold really well and weren't ported until much later when the platform was pretty much dead. The PSP was (and still is in Japan) getting significantly more 3rd party support than the Wii early this gen and that was due solely to the command that Sony had over 3rd party development prior to their new strategy with the PS3.

Quinton, I'm going to defer to your expert opinion here. How many months of data do we need before we can responsibly conclude the the current situation is bad? Because I don't want egg on my face if/when the November/December numbers somehow make these launch window numbers retroactively great.

At least two months. With two months, it's easier to see a trend. You can even make comparisons based on that data. It wouldn't even need to be 100% accurate - but since you'd have two consecutive months showing poor sales, one could draw the conclusion that the Wii U would have an up hill battle. At that stage, one could honestly draw an educated conclusion. With just one month? No, there's simply not enough data there.

Do I believe if Jan and Feb shows bad results, that there would be enough data to conclude the Wii U's failure for the year? No. Only because the games simply aren't there. The system could quite possible pick up in March or April. Or it could flop. However, some of the people here on GAF conclude the worst for everything.

Top Bottom