• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2007

Bowen_B

Banned
mmlemay said:
Yes. It was a joke. An old joke from before people realized how awesome Crackdown is. And you made the comment that the only reason that Crackdown will sell well is because of the Halo 3 beta that no one can play until April or May.
The bigger issue for me is that he trolled Lost Planet without reason.
I demand an appology.

vasuba

Banned
mmlemay said:
Yes. It was a joke. An old joke from before people realized how awesome Crackdown is. And you made the comment that the only reason that Crackdown will sell well is because of the Halo 3 beta that no one can play until April or May.

People will line up a yearbefore a movie comes out to make sure they see it first. Whats paying 60 bucks to get guaranteed beta access a few months early?

Im not saying Crackdown sucks or anything else im simply saying its guaranteed beta Access for Halo 3 definetly will be spuring sales. If you want to deny it live in a fairy tale world.

vasuba said:
People will line up a yearbefore a movie comes out to make sure they see it first. Whats paying 60 bucks to get guaranteed beta access a few months early?

Im not saying Crackdown sucks or anything else im simply saying its guaranteed beta Access for Halo 3 definetly will be spuring sales. If you want to deny it live in a fairy tale world.

Obviously. The point is that everyone is PLAYING it.

Concerning the PS3 and HDTV penetration, I think in the beginning of the PS3s life cycle the reverse is going to be true. THe PS3 will drive the adaption of HDTV just as the PS2 helped drive DVD adaption. From personal experience I know 3 gamers aside from myself that have bought HDTVs in the last few months and a few more people that have just picked one up because the price has gone below $1000 on some models.

BenjaminBirdie said:

They sure are. MS knows how to please the hardcore set, who just so happen to buy a crap ton of games, Halo Beta included or not.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
Crackdown will never get it's due in some circles. Whether it's being compared to GTA, or the sales attributed to the Halo 3 beta deal. But that's okay. I wouldn't be surprised to see MS announce sales figures next week, after it's out everywhere.

Parl

PS3 needs some...

dead-rising.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
_leech_ said:
The number might have been too insignificant, like <10K.
They probably could put a "K" behind the number so they left it out in the rounding.

Wonderdave said:
Concerning the PS3 and HDTV penetration, I think in the beginning of the PS3s life cycle the reverse is going to be true. THe PS3 will drive the adaption of HDTV just as the PS2 helped drive DVD adaption. From personal experience I know 3 gamers aside from myself that have bought HDTVs in the last few months and a few more people that have just picked one up because the price has gone below $1000 on some models.

The PS3 hasn't broken 1 million LTD in NA (actually, it probably has by now). Of those 1 million consoles, how many people do you think ran out to buy a new HDTV with their shiny new toy? The vast majority of that figure either has a HDTV or will play it on a SD set.

vasuba said:
honestly i stopped seeing 20gb shipments before christmas. all i ever saw coming into stores was 60gb

I'm glad I got one then! $100 more for wireless (which I don't like) and a bigger hdd (which I will replace with my own bigger 2.5" SATA hdd) wasn't worth it for me. :)

Jammy

Banned
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say this, but Rayman: Raving Rabbids has catapaulted into second place on the Wii's best-sellers list in the U.S. (beating Red Steel).

Wonderdave said:
Concerning the PS3 and HDTV penetration, I think in the beginning of the PS3s life cycle the reverse is going to be true. THe PS3 will drive the adaption of HDTV just as the PS2 helped drive DVD adaption.

:lol

Wow . . . you should go work for the Sony PR team!

GhaleonEB said:
Crackdown will never get it's due in some circles. Whether it's being compared to GTA, or the sales attributed to the Halo 3 beta deal. But that's okay. I wouldn't be surprised to see MS announce sales figures next week, after it's out everywhere.

Yeah. I was playing a little co-op with my man VALIS and we were discussing this (as we blew Volk island to hell, I jacked up to Three Stars Explosives and he soared to Four Stars Agility). It's odd that a game being maligned from so many different angles is so simple and effective and streamlined in its desire to create fun. It's literally just sitting there like "Dude, what did I do?"

But whatever. It's the most fun game I've ever played and we'll leave it at that. People can think whatever they want.

pooteeweet said:
The PS3 hasn't broken 1 million LTD in NA (actually, it probably has by now). Of those 1 million consoles, how many people do you think ran out to buy a new HDTV with their shiny new toy? The vast majority of that figure either has a HDTV or will play it on a SD set.
Actually the entirety of that figure already has an HDTV or will play it on an SD set because you need a TV or it's useless. It doesn't matter if everyone runs out and buys an HDTV right away, If they do so eventually then it's just the same. The combination of dropping prices for HDTVs, HD cable/satellite and HD gaming consoles (to be fair the X360 should also be included ) provide comsumers beyond the AVphile sector plenty of reason to buy one. I merely state that the PS3 will help increase the adoption rate.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah. I was playing a little co-op with my man VALIS and we were discussing this (as we blew Volk island to hell, I jacked up to Three Stars Explosives and he soared to Four Stars Agility). It's odd that a game being maligned from so many different angles is so simple and effective and streamlined in its desire to create fun. It's literally just sitting there like "Dude, what did I do?"

But whatever. It's the most fun game I've ever played and we'll leave it at that. People can think whatever they want.
My little prediction is that this game will have legs, and those legs will speak for themselves. Huge debut can be partly - perhaps cynically - attributed to the Halo beta. Sustained sales after the beta offer is up? Nope.

Anyhoo. January.

I'll just reiterate my comment from before: for the PS3 and 360 to jump, it's all about the price. The 360 never saw a jump in sales with the release of major games last year, and I don't see that changing for the 360 this year either. Ditto for PS3. Everyone looking for VF5 or Motorstorm or Forza or Crackdown to cause a giant change is in for disappointment - the price is just a huge barrier and will continue to until they come down.

Wonderdave said:
THe PS3 will drive the adaption of HDTV just as the PS2 helped drive DVD adaption.
It worked the other way around buddy. DVD popularity pushed PS2 sales. The price difference was mostly a wash for quite a while, and the video gaming capability of the PS2 was a nice bonus for a lot of people wanting to watch dvds.

Wonderdave said:
Actually the entirety of that figure already has an HDTV or will play it on an SD set because you need a TV or it's useless. It doesn't matter if everyone runs out and buys an HDTV right away, If they do so eventually then it's just the same. The combination of dropping prices for HDTVs, HD cable/satellite and HD gaming consoles (to be fair the X360 should also be included ) provide comsumers beyond the AVphile sector plenty of reason to buy one. I merely state that the PS3 will help increase the adoption rate.

That, more than anything, will drive HD adoption. Saying the PS3 will increase adoption of HDTVs is pointless. Of course some people will buy HDTVs because they want to play their new PS3s on it. It's a rather meaningless claim. Of course if you want to make that claim, then you need to acknowledge that the 360 will drive it even more.

The Jer

bmf said:
It worked the other way around buddy. DVD popularity pushed PS2 sales. The price difference was mostly a wash for quite a while, and the video gaming capability of the PS2 was a nice bonus for a lot of people wanting to watch dvds.

Ya, pretty much.

Edit: but they fed off each other to a certain extent.

The Jer

Parl said:

Thanks. Nice to get some perspective. I was thinking about how few N64 games there were at launch.

I must be one of the only people who feels there is almost "too many" games. It's so hard to keep up with the games I want to play anyways. And I'm
trying to
refusing to play through games really quickly, just to play them. I only purchase a small handfull of games a year (this year will be an exception, no doubt - so many good games next month alone).
I suppose someone will bring up how "you don't have to play/purchase every game and its good to have choice."

bmf said:
DVD sales increased dramatically after the launch of the PS2 but if you want to play revisionist historian, be my guest.

pooteeweet said:
That, more than anything, will drive HD adoption. Saying the PS3 will increase adoption of HDTVs is pointless. Of course some people will buy HDTVs because they want to play their new PS3s on it. It's a rather meaningless claim. Of course if you want to make that claim, then you need to acknowledge that the 360 will drive it even more.

I know, that's why I put it first I also included the 360 in my post. I placed it as a factor in HDTVs adaption, which it is. The early adopters of the PS3 are likely hardcore gamers and technophiles, the very poeple that would be likely to buy an HDTV in any case. The availabilty of the PS3 simply gets more people off the fence. I'm also talking about more than just current sales I'm also talking creating a general trend going forward. As for the 360 driving it more, If you say so.*shrugs*

Branduil

I think there's a big difference between DVD and Blu-Ray. The average Joe saw the worth of DVDs. Not necessarily so for HD.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wonderdave said:
DVD sales increased dramatically after the launch of the PS2 but if you want to play revisionist historian, be my guest.

I know, that's why I put it first I also included the 360 in my post. I placed it as a factor in HDTVs adaption, which it is. The early adopters of the PS3 are likely hardcore gamers and technophiles, the very poeple that would be likely to buy an HDTV in any case. The availabilty of the PS3 simply gets more people off the fence. I'm also talking about more than just current sales I'm also talking creating a general trend going forward. As for the 360 driving it more, If you say so.*shrugs*

I'm not sure how you can use people owning a ps2 buying more $15 to $30 dollar discs to people with the PS3 dropping another grand on a HDTV. I really don't think it'll be as big as you think. While I'm sure some people with PS3s will buy an HDTV, whether this means there will be a significant effect is doubtful to me. The biggest and I believe the only real significant force in HDTV adoption will be the increasing programming offered.

I think you have it backwards. The adoption of HDTV will have more effect on the adoption of the PS3 and 360 than the other way around. Much more people have Cable and Satellite than a PS3 or 360.

jarrod

Banned
Wonderdave said:
It was key driver for Japan mainly, but really PS2 and DVD helped push each other. DVD helped PS2 by being the de-facto, industry standard new movie format and PS2 helped DVD by offering a super cheap player early on (that most people wanted already to play games anyway). The push was hugely synergistic though, not at all one sided... which is a pretty different setup from what we see with PS3 and it's Blu-Ray parasite (which more resembles PSP/UMD than anything).

A lot of people don't see the point in upgrading their movie players. VHS to DVD was a significant jump. The reason was that VHS was bulky and rather featureless. DVDs offered the ability for you to skip through different chapters, was much more convienient and slim, and picture quality did not degrade as much over time.

What is the difference between HD-DVD/BRD vs. DVD? Better sound, better picture. That is it.

This is why the transition is slow. DVD sales finally eclipsed VHS sales just a couple of years ago. People are not going to start jumping on the HD bandwagon. When taken into consideration, the performances of these new discs are pretty good.

For most of society, it will be at least another decade until a new format eclipses the DVD.

Microsoft was smart in not releasing the 360 with the HD-DVD. Too much of a gamble right now, a costly gamble. Right now, Sony executives are probably pissed at the fact that they tried shoving a new format down people's throats that people just aren't that interested in. Sony should have learned this with the PSP and UMD.

Galactic Fork

The Experiment said:
A lot of people don't see the point in upgrading their movie players. VHS to DVD was a significant jump. The reason was that VHS was bulky and rather featureless. DVDs offered the ability for you to skip through different chapters, was much more convienient and slim, and picture quality did not degrade as much over time.

What is the difference between HD-DVD/BRD vs. DVD? Better sound, better picture. That is it.

This is why the transition is slow. DVD sales finally eclipsed VHS sales just a couple of years ago. People are not going to start jumping on the HD bandwagon. When taken into consideration, the performances of these new discs are pretty good.

For most of society, it will be at least another decade until a new format eclipses the DVD.

Microsoft was smart in not releasing the 360 with the HD-DVD. Too much of a gamble right now, a costly gamble. Right now, Sony executives are probably pissed at the fact that they tried shoving a new format down people's throats that people just aren't that interested in. Sony should have learned this with the PSP and UMD.

There is one factor that makes the comparison less ideal. an HD-DVD player and a BVD player can still play DVDs too. So I really think that once the prices of the players come down, the transition will be much smoother than the DVD/VHS transition since nobody will be losing anything by the transition. Actually, the format war will be a big hindrance for a lot of people to transition.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I'm not sure how you can use people owning a ps2 buying more $15 to $30 dollar discs to people with the PS3 dropping another grand on a HDTV. I really don't think it'll be as big as you think. While I'm sure some people with PS3s will buy an HDTV, whether this means there will be a significant effect is doubtful to me. The biggest and I believe the only real significant force in HDTV adoption will be the increasing programming offered.

I think you have it backwards. The adoption of HDTV will have more effect on the adoption of the PS3 and 360 than the other way around. Much more people have Cable and Satellite than a PS3 or 360.
Considering the sheer number of will "Will this HDTV work with my PS3" threads That have popped up over the last year, on this furom and others, I'd say I'm right. HD cable/satellite has benn around for almost 2 years where I live, no one I know owned an HDTV before late 2006. Price is the biggest driving factor, I think we can all agree on that much, but until the PS3 ther wasn't really any consumer device that you couldn't get full use out of without an HDTV. While the gameing portion of the PS3 work with any TV to use the extended functions like BD playback and HD resolution gaming you need an HDTV. Early adopters will want the full experience and HDTV prices are dropping steadily so later adopters, likely to buy after a PS3 price drop, will be looking at a much smaller investment.

All in all I'm not saying it will be a primary driver just that PS3 sales aren't dependent upon HDTV sales and will for the first year or two help HDTV adoption along. that's all I'm saying no need to be so thin skinned.

AdmiralViscen said:
Wonderdave is a great poster

Yeah, I know.:)

sangreal

Wonderdave said:

Standalone DVD Players have always drastically outnumbered PS2s. The PS2 launched in 2000. By the end of 2000 there were 1.46 million PS2s shipped in the US and 13.9 million standalone DVD players (sold). A year later there were 9.87 million PS2s and 26.6 million standalone DVD players.

Did the PS2 help dvd movie sales? Probably, but it certainly was not the leading driver in sales.

Wonderdave said:
Considering the sheer number of will "Will this HDTV work with my PS3" threads That have popped up over the last year, on this furom and others, I'd say I'm right.

actually, i'd say thats indicative of how much Sony ****ed up and the sheer stupidity of not having the scaling provided in the 360 (and pretty much every other HD device on the market)

Galactic Fork

Wonderdave said:
Considering the sheer number of will "Will this HDTV work with my PS3" threads That have popped up over the last year, on this furom and others, I'd say I'm right. HD cable/satellite has benn around for almost 2 years where I live, no one I know owned an HDTV before late 2006. Price is the biggest driving factor, I think we can all agree on that much, but until the PS3 ther wasn't really any consumer device that you couldn't get full use out of without an HDTV. While the gameing portion of the PS3 work with any TV to use the extended functions like BD playback and HD resolution gaming you need an HDTV. Early adopters will want the full experience and HDTV prices are dropping steadily so later adopters, likely to buy after a PS3 price drop, will be looking at a much smaller investment.

All in all I'm not saying it will be a primary driver just that PS3 sales aren't dependent upon HDTV sales and will for the first year or two help HDTV adoption along. that's all I'm saying no need to be so thin skinned.
Yeah, I know.:)

Wait. Let me get this straight. You're using people posting on gaming forums to prove your point? Of course people who post here are going to have that concern. I'm not being thick skinned, I just think you have it backwards. And you seem to forget the increase in HD cable and satellite availability. Which has been increasing really recently. There is much more advertising for that, and TV is a much bigger driving force of HDTVs than video games ever will. And I'm pretty sure there are many more people who are like me who, using your example above, know that the PS3's full potential can't be gained without an HDTV will not buy a PS3 until they get an HDTV. The HDTV comes first. Then I'll eventually get a PS3.

Wonderdave said:
Considering the sheer number of will "Will this HDTV work with my PS3" threads That have popped up over the last year, on this furom and others, I'd say I'm right.

This also explains why Okami was the #1 selling game of the generation.

AniHawk

It took TWW at least a year or more to reach 1.8m in the US (can't remember how that went anymore). TP did it in just three months.

(the 1.8m was done using that next gen article's numbers and adding the numbers in this thread, then rounding down. So there.)

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Wait. Let me get this straight. You're using people posting on gaming forums to prove your point? Of course people who post here are going to have that concern. I'm not being thick skinned, I just think you have it backwards. And you seem to forget the increase in HD cable and satellite availability. Which has been increasing really recently. There is much more advertising for that, and TV is a much bigger driving force of HDTVs than video games ever will. And I'm pretty sure there are many more people who are like me who, using your example above, know that the PS3's full potential can't be gained without an HDTV will not buy a PS3 until they get an HDTV. The HDTV comes first. Then I'll eventually get a PS3.
So, in a way, the PS3 has already sold you an HDTV?

Out of curiousity, if a game comes out for the PS3 you like why wouldn't you get it then, aside from resolution everything will be the same.

well, now that the ps3 is out and not outselling the 360 yet, what site ad that 10 biggest busts article saying ms blew their 1 yr headstart? Well, that site can go "F" themselves now.

360 is da nextgen shizzle. The games just keep coming...better games, and more of them. I see the 1 yr head start really showing its legs now. Congrats on that bold move, MS.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Jammy said:
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say this, but Rayman: Raving Rabbids has catapaulted into second place on the Wii's best-sellers list in the U.S. (beating Red Steel).

Aye, Rayman put up some sick numbers. It doubled RedSteel for the month.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wonderdave said:
So, in a way, the PS3 has already sold you an HDTV?

Out of curiousity, if a game comes out for the PS3 you like why wouldn't you get it then, aside from resolution everything will be the same.
If it was the PS3 that sold him on an HDTV he'd have one already no?

Top Bottom