• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] The Last of Us Part II : PS5 Backwards Compatibility Boost - 60FPS

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Who didn't play it yet gonna have some wonderful time now.

The Shining Ps4 GIF by Naughty Dog

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Such a great looking game, would it really look that much better with Ray tracing than it does now? They took.so much time and attention to everything.....

It never gets old listening to nxgamer react to a sony exclusive. How awestruck he is by the "vast agency" supposedly offered by this game. Oh, how it feels "more next gen than games on any other platform" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Being awestruck by the tiniest bit of player agency in a onrails series when you have immersive sims and countless other games on the market for 30 years that offer unquantifiably more player agency. Reason theres some semblance of agency in this game is because they had a Crysis 1 fan in the team which credits Crysis with the opening of the levels in Uncharted 4 and lou2.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Is there any spoilers in this video as I'm about a 1/3 through the game?

Also I'm tempted to give in to the scalpers for this but I'm trying to resist.

NEbeast

It never gets old listening to nxgamer react to a sony exclusive. How awestruck he is by the "vast agency" supposedly offered by this game. Oh, how it feels "more next gen than games on any other platform" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Being awestruck by the tiniest bit of player agency in a onrails series when you have immersive sims and countless other games on the market for 30 years that offer unquantifiably more player agency. Reason theres some semblance of agency in this game is because they had a Crysis 1 fan in the team which credits Crysis with the opening of the levels in Uncharted 4 and lou2.

Yikes

Vick

Doesn't it?

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1275920124248297473

How many supposedly realistic games offer this kind of agency during encounters?

Also, he's a tech dude. Good luck knowing your stuff and not be impressed by games with this lighting tech in them.

And that also look like this.

Being awestruck by the tiniest bit of player agency in a onrails series when you have immersive sims and countless other games on the market for 30 years that offer unquantifiably more player agency.
If this game is onrails, how would you call titles like Resident Evil, Gears of War, Call of Duty and to a certain extent any other AAA in existence; cutscenes? QTE?

Reason theres some semblance of agency in this game is because they had a Crysis 1 fan in the team which credits Crysis with the opening of the levels in Uncharted 4 and lou2.
There's not a "semblance" of agency, they took the Crysis 2007 formula and expanded upon.
A full sandbox fluidly transitioning between stealth and action on the fly and which, on Grounded mode, features the most realistic and aggressive AI i've ever played against.

Is that forbidden? Did you wanted him to praise Crysis too? Do we need to praise RE4 everytime we talk about the newest TPS?

And just so you know, you're talking to someone who hates this game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Crysis is an old game, was great 15 years ago. Now it's like a polished turd vs TLOU2 so try to cope.

Every game looks better at 60 fps, because in motion, the image quality is much higher compared to 30 fps. That's why 30 fps needs to die.

This is why this gen should die within 5 years, or when 1nm is ready.

Doesn't it?

Sure, marginally and the likes of which you can find in many games today. We had games in the 90's like Thief, Fallout 1/2, System Shock, Deus Ex and so on which gives you
immeasurably more agency. A level in Thief is like its own mini world that youcan tackle whichever way you want. Its just funny listening to him because hes pretty much one of the biggest sony zealots ive ever seen in my life. Basically he's looking at stuff that around for decades and pretends its the first time this has come into existence

Vick said:
If this game is onrails, how would you call titles like Resident Evil, Gears of War, Call of Duty and to a certain extent any other AAA in existence; cutscenes? QTE?

No, i said the series was on rails until now. Which it was. Every uncharted game and the first last of us is just you going forward and triggering the next script. They have some of the most embarassing gamedesign possible.

Vick said:
There's not a "semblance" of agency, they took the Crysis 2007 formula and expanded upon.
A full sandbox fluidly transitioning between stealth and action on the fly and which, on Grounded mode, features the most realistic and aggressive AI i've ever played against.

No, they havent expanded upon anything. In crysis, besides that you can do everything you can in last of us 2, you can mix the power suits to tackle a situation in x ways, you can swim through water, you can drive a combat boat on water, you can drive a jeep. All this on large spaces with different types of elevation and folliage. They copied the aproach Crysis uses, as they clearly state. They didnt elevate it into something unseen.

In regards to the AI, i remain constantly baffled by the notion that this game has good ai, nevermind best ive ever seen. I guess the fact that they move give the illusion of inteligence for some people ? Otherwise you're magnetising like crazy into every enemy and taking them out without issues as they act all surprised when they see you and shoot sideways

Last edited:

Md Ray

What's with you and your constant hate-boner for NXGamer NXGamer ?

^ i dont hate the guy, jesus. Im just amused by the most ardent sony fanboy pretending he knows about game technology while he does not and trying to appear that he makes tech videos, while he;s just gushing about every sony game at random. His graphics top for the last year just had all the sony exclusives grouped together : )))

Md Ray

^ i dont hate the guy, jesus. Im just amused by the most ardent sony fanboy pretending he knows about game technology while he does not and trying to appear that he makes tech videos, while he;s just gushing about every sony game at random. His graphics top for the last year just had all the sony exclusives grouped together : )))
So, just because he praises Sony games and his top graphics games happen to be Sony games, he is a fanboy and a zealot?

Where were you when he praised MS games just as much?
pretending he knows about game technology while he does not and trying to appear that he makes tech videos
What? Care to give any examples?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No, i said the series was on rails until now. Which it was. Every uncharted game and the first last of us is just you going forward and triggering the next script. They have some of the most embarassing gamedesign possible.

This is just asinine.

Telling a linear story is not the same as being "on rails". What's more, its debatable what benefit more open-ness offers in narrative and pacing terms. Because as should be evident by now, the more open a world gets, the more the same atomic events just get copy-pasted in order to fill the space outside the golden path.

ND doesn't make RPGs, which really are the only type of game ideally suited to open-world design as in them the central focus tends to be the player-character's (or party thereof) empowerment via questing and farming.

Something like Days Gone is a perfect illustration of what happens to perceptions of narrative when plot-pacing takes lower priority than justifying the freedoms of the open world.

God Of War pretty much trades these elements off perfectly, but then it can afford to employ its fantasy elements (realm shifting most notably) to keep the game structurally and geographically compact in a way that more grounded and realistic titles like ND's cannot.

Vick

Sure, marginally and the likes of which you can find in many games today. We had games in the 90's like Thief, Fallout 1/2, System Shock, Deus Ex and so on which gives you
immeasurably more agency. A level in Thief is like its own mini world that youcan tackle whichever way you want.
Comparing TLOUII to Fallout and Thief and Deus Ex.. do you even think before writing this stuff?

Its just funny listening to him because hes pretty much one of the biggest sony zealots ive ever seen in my life. Basically he's looking at stuff that around for decades and pretends its the first time this has come into existence
Games have been like that for decades?

So you never played these titles. It was obvious already, but got it.
Crysis influence took place in Uncharted 3 already, 2011.

No, they havent expanded upon anything. In crysis, besides that you can do everything you can in last of us 2,
Besides you absolutely cannot, let's go ahead.

you can mix the power suits to tackle a situation in x ways,
Right, TLOUII should have had a Nanosuit.. how about craftables?

you can swim through water,
Same as TLOUII, and Uncharted 4, and Lost Legacy, and TLOU, and Uncharted 3, and Uncharted 2, and Uncharted 1 then?
And you can actually shoot while in water in all of them, without having to resort to glitches.

you can drive a combat boat on water,
Oh, wow. You can drive a boat in TLOUII and Uncharted 4 as well.

you can drive a jeep.
Same as Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy then?

And do horses in TLOUII, TLOU or Uncharted 3 count?

All this on large spaces with different types of elevation and folliage.
Same as Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy and TLOUII then?

They copied the aproach Crysis uses, as they clearly state. They didnt elevate it into something unseen.
But they did.. have you even seen the videos i linked?

In regards to the AI, i remain constantly baffled by the notion that this game has good ai, nevermind best ive ever seen. I guess the fact that they move give the illusion of inteligence for some people ? Otherwise you're magnetising like crazy into every enemy and taking them out without issues as they act all surprised when they see you and shoot sideways
I said on Grounded. And yes, the AI there makes you feel you're playing a Multiplayer title.

But not something i would expect someone with no clue of what the fuck he's talking about would know.

^ i dont hate the guy, jesus. Im just amused by the most ardent sony fanboy pretending he knows about game technology while he does not
He doesn't?
I guess that's why the biggest gaming outlet on the planet hired him as tech expert?

But thank God there's the absolutely neutral and knowledgeable Soulblighter31 here to save us.
You should be embarrassed.

His graphics top for the last year just had all the sony exclusives grouped together : )))
That's only because this publisher, you like it or not, produces the best looking games available and you either have to be actually blind or blinded by hate to not see that.

SLB1904

Banned
Such a great looking game, would it really look that much better with Ray tracing than it does now? They took.so much time and attention to everything.....
Some areas it would look better like the light bouncing off the characters.
But of course it needs to be well implemented

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Doesn't it?

How many supposedly realistic games offer this kind of agency during encounters?

Also, he's a tech dude. Good luck knowing your stuff and not be impressed by games with this lighting tech in them.

Is that forbidden? Did you wanted him to praise Crysis too? Do we need to praise RE4 everytime we talk about the newest TPS?

Lol man that last bit just hit the nail in the coffin, ain't no coming back from that, well said chap

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
If you can't see that TLOU2 is a visual as well as a technical masterpiece irrespective of how you feel about the story/characters... Then you either haven't played it or you're fucking deluded.

As for enemy A.I. they where some of the best, stress inducing encounters I've played against, not since the original Fear have I felt a sense of unease coming into a new area and seeing the patrols and trying to figure out how I can stealth take down as many as I can before the enivitable cluster fuck occurs and everytime I ended up replaying a section it always turned out differently... Hated those fucking dogs and whistling cunts

Also big shout out to NXGamer NXGamer another excellent video chap

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Even Microsoft sucked TLOU2 dick.

Skifi28

No, they havent expanded upon anything. In crysis, besides that you can do everything you can in last of us 2, you can mix the power suits to tackle a situation in x ways, you can swim through water, you can drive a combat boat on water, you can drive a jeep. All this on large spaces with different types of elevation and folliage. They copied the aproach Crysis uses, as they clearly state. They didnt elevate it into something unseen.
The biggest focus of Crysis was initiating combat how you saw fit. Once it was underway though, the way it unfolded was pretty unimpressive even back then. One enemy spots you and suddenly you have a mark on your back and any enemy within 200 meters snipes you. Higher difficulties made things even worse with enemies being completely inhuman, ruining any and all immersion (Speaking in their native language was a good addition though).

In TLOU2 you have fewer options as to how to initiate combat as most scenarios are pretty scripted, but once it begins it's like its own puzzle within the combat area. The way enemies react to you when you are spotted, search for you, flank you and seem to communicate with each other is something I have not seen in any other game. You can try the same encounter 20 times and it'll play out 20 different ways, you have so many tools at your disposal and ways to use them, it's absolutely insane. In later fights, you can involve infected making them 3 way battles opening up even more options.

Last edited:

skakmk

As for enemy A.I. they where some of the best, stress inducing encounters I've played against, not since the original Fear have I felt a sense of unease coming into a new area and seeing the patrols and trying to figure out how I can stealth take down as many as I can before the enivitable cluster fuck occurs and everytime I ended up replaying a section it always turned out differently... Hated those fucking dogs and whistling cunts.
Playing against those whistling cunts using good quality headphones was unnerving AF. Marvellous!

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Doesn't it?

Animated GIF

Man, you roasted him to ashes with pure, solid evidence. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Very nice update, hopefully people will understand why the 60FPS even in these (previously 30FPS) games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Very nice update, hopefully people will understand why the 60FPS even in these (previously 30FPS) games.

Insomniac has made the standard of what 60fps should look like on consoles, and even PC with their Performance RT on Spider-man and probably on the next R&C we'll see something similar.

Last edited:
Comparing TLOUII to Fallout and Thief and Deus Ex.. do you even think before writing this stuff?

It seems even simple reading escapes you. I am giving you examples of player agency from various eras and genres and your response is the typical internet bullshit where you pretend i am directly comparing these games. Im gonna skip the rest of your points since you either arent smart enough to comprehend what you're reading or you purposefully miss the point. Oh you can drive a boat in last of us ? yeah, thats totally what i was saying in my post.

Lets just skip to this nonsense

That's only because this publisher, you like it or not, produces the best looking games available and you either have to be actually blind or blinded by hate to not see that.

Oh really ? Based on what ? Im sorry, in a year with Half Life Alyx, Cyberpunk 2077 and Flight Sim, sony's offerings are mid tier. It just so happened that in the year where last of us 2 came out, multiple high end AAA PC exclusives also came out. And you will never match a high end pc game with a console one. Like it always was the case in the past, no mather how much money or who made a console game.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Christ thats like something from a John wick movie, i wish i had the skill to play it like that, incredible.. I had poor Abby flailing around like an extra in a Benny Hill scene ffs

How could you even doubt the game after seeing a completely player driven encounter like that.

Edit. The more I watch that clip the more I'm impressed with all the subtle details from the look of shock and fear on the enemy's as they know they're fucked to the way the body realistically reacts to where they've been shot, each punch from Abby has weight and a ferocity to it unmatched in any game I've played, winced a few times an all... I'd hate to spill her pint

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Insomniac has made the standard of what 60fps should look like on consoles, and even PC with their Performance RT on Spider-man and probably on the next R7C we'll see something similar.
Thankfully MS did it as standard feature too > platform holders pushing for 60FPS games > more 60FPS titles. Especially those high-profile games.

60FPS perfomance mode is hopefully going to be standard.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Because there's not countless of other games out there that lets you execute your enemies in the same manner as The Last of Us Part II.

As you a can see from the videos above, many video games aren't doing that today. You'll be lucky to see more than 8 different melee animations in a single action game today with the level of detail as TLOU 2.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Even Microsoft sucked TLOU2 dick.
There is really no more to say after this, lol.

Still shocked to learn they did a review of the game. The Apple vs Epic court case has been dropping bombs.

Christ thats like something from a John wick movie, i wish i had the skill to play it like that, incredible.. I had poor Abby flailing around like an extra in a Benny Hill scene ffs

How could you even doubt the game after seeing a completely player driven encounter like that.

Edit. The more I watch that clip the more I'm impressed with all the subtle details from the look of shock and fear on the enemy's as they know they're fucked to the way the body realistically reacts to where they've been shot, each punch from Abby has weight and a ferocity to it unmatched in any game I've played, winced a few times an all... I'd hate to spill her pint

The wild thing is depending on your play style you may never see something like this or what was posted earlier. Going extra stealthy and running and hiding doesnt get you this.

Similar with part 1, with companion NPCs too. I noticed this one time dying trying to go ultra stealthy and planning my strategy in part 1 with a companion, that black dude with the son. The next time I didnt wait to plan, went stealth, and the scene played out different. First time he didnt help, next time he helped.

And ND tweaked the companion interactions in the Remaster. Made it more believable. Less running out in the open and not being spotted.

Last edited:

Vick

It seems even simple reading escapes you. I am giving you examples of player agency from various eras and genres and your response is the typical internet bullshit where you pretend i am directly comparing these games.
Yes, you're giving examples of agency in games which couldn't be further from TLOUII in terms of game structure and tone. What could have ND possibly done to provide you with more agency in a game like this?
I'm all ears.

Im gonna skip the rest of your points
Convenient isn't it?

Oh you can drive a boat in last of us ? yeah, thats totally what i was saying in my post.
You were suggesting the boat in Crysis can play a role in ways to engage. And it's the same in TLOUII, as shown in one of the videos i linked.

Same way Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy's jeep play a role.

But if the distinction of having a turret on them is so important, i guess you win?

Oh really ? Based on what ? Im sorry, in a year with Half Life Alyx, Cyberpunk 2077 and Flight Sim, sony's offerings are mid tier.
Based on what?

Let's.

JQVNPzs.png

m6RhqF4.png

aVRdfKc.png

K7hiIuC.png

XQsPTQk.png

eIroJTS.png

Gb5HTKS.png

m17gmdK.png

bbF6iOo.png

bMNvtWX.png

EWT1zFC.png

N2b4G9A.png

nUBbcRE.png

CvyAMwY.png

x7ywkGk.png

gTFIfY6.png

Because this is how direct feed gameplay screenshots of TLOUII look like.
I've got hundreds more.

Dare to compare how the games look in motion? Got plenty of videos as well.

Insomniac does that? With this IQ in-game on PS4Pro?

LOUySNg.png

MPjZtlW.png

Eou4hvh.png

orAf8wC.png

Legit question, never used Photo-Mode.

Is this why half HUD is missing?

The logic being that, in response to someone calling TLOUII the best looking game, you seriously took zoomed in Youtube grabs of a game running on a $399 console from 2013 and compared it to 4K Photo-Mode screenshots of a game running at unknown fps on a 2021 PC of which graphic card alone costs more than the entire, near decade old console?

PCyA.gif

That being said, Cyberpunk maxed out can look absolutely amazing and it's also a multiplatform, dynamic free-roam. Tech wise, dynamic GI for the torch is the only truly impressive feature of TLOUII lighting.
Because TLOUII lighting is not as static as you think it is.

PBjxfvw.png

AEPkX88.png

ivgfhFm.png

S1JqBe9.png

qW2BocT.png

V6aNZZM.png

HLNUpAr.png

r8ofjlo.png

AO34MPX.png

1p2jYng.png

RlLruEV.png

GJez0J5.png

1dzM3Ur.png

8IVE7eD.png

3HPfFy8.png

fnpeUoI.png

La1GMsL.png

ZYj0y9m.png

mSLedOl.png

HUM5cx8.png

1MEYWXe.png

3bb870P.png

T6mH5a7.png

J2nMzMp.png

x6PP990.png

iF27wU5.png

lJtawpC.png

And because people don't play screenshots, in motion they see animations, they see how interiors lighting drastically change for every step they take with the torch on, the way every shader interacts with your presence:

Or the way you interact with the environments:

The volumetric shadows on/under water:

The vegetation interaction:

And these are the only videos that survived on Streamable unfortunately. The ones i posted in the past showcasing physics, real-time GI, sea water and actual fights were arbitrarily deleted by the site for whatever reason.
But i still have those on HDD, so may host them somewere else.

tenor.gif

Yeah, agree. I think i'll have to wait for the next ND/Rockstar title to be properly impressed.
Oh, and UE5 games are probably going to look insane as well.

Yes, i understand looking at pictures can only go so far. You should be looking at the indirect lighting in the scene directly caused by what's inside the cone.

Here the tech in action, i'm using Uncharted just because you can move the torch independently from the camera making easier to understand what's going on, but it's the same in TLOUII.

I'm sure you noticed how every object is lit by the bounce lighting, and how the entire scene changes based on the way what's lit influences its surroundings.

It's mindblowing.
Truly is the most "dynamic lighting" i've ever seen in a full, real game, and honestly, the most impressive thing as well.

What they could improve on PS5 is to add indirect shadows caused by the indirect lights, but not sure it would be worth the cost to be honest. Is still impressive AF.

But i know you won't read those posts/see what's inside them.
So i'll just leave you with a quote from Microsoft private documents:

"The visual quality and attention to detail in The Last of Us Part II is absolutely best-in-class in basically every area, and the overall presentation is significantly ahead of anything that other teams have been producing on console and PC."

Now can you please leave NXGamer alone? Or because of your butthurt you want the deprive us of the only industry guy left on this board?

Doesn't it?

Holy crap those animations. It's always what I believe Naughty Dog does best in their games.

Man how come people have access to khaled bathing gifs. XD

Well at least nobody posted a Khaled taking a dump gif yet.

P.S Please nobody post that. I don't want to be scarred by seeing a huge man taking a massive dump. Already thought the scene from Austin Powers was already bad enough without seeing it.

Not another dump.

Last edited:

Md Ray

God damn! Really love SunhiLegend's work and have been following him on Twitter for years now. The guy truly is a legend.

wenaldy

I'm waiting for factions update. Plz don't screw up the original meta gameplay and no funny glitch (crabwalking).

Yes, you're giving examples of agency in games which couldn't be further from TLOUII in terms of game structure and tone. What could have ND possibly done to provide you with more agency in a game like this?
I'm all ears.

Since you seem to require numerous explanations for very simple, unambigous points, let me try it for a 3rd time. Nxgamer is giving praise for something that has existed in hundreds of games, in higher capacity for multiple decades. Am i getting through yet ? The agency you have in last of us 2 is nothing to write home about. Certainly not something to warrant saying this is some next gen level stuff that no other game does it.

Convenient isn't it?

quite the contrary. The fact that you understood jack shit about every single thing just makes me roll my eyes. I would have to just go over every point, repeat myself and you will more than likely either not get a single thing, or pretend you didnt get a single thing.

You were suggesting the boat in Crysis can play a role in ways to engage. And it's the same in TLOUII, as shown in one of the videos i linked.

But if the distinction of having a turret on them is so important, i guess you win?

I am informing you how in Crysis you have constant, consistent numerous ways to handle any given situation and you are telling me that yes, last of us 2 also has scripted boat or horse segments at certain points in its campaign.

The uncharted 4 jeep scene is a scripted, on rails scene, while in Crysis you have an entire island, where you chose what and when and where you will use whatever you want. And the game adapts to it.

For acting so smug and intelligent, you really do not understand even the most simplest of sentences. Maybe tone it down a bit, trying to apear smart while advertising how inept you are.

Based on what?

At which point am i supposed to be impressed by a game that uses small areas which lacks dynamism and real time lightning ? Or is this the thing that was supposed to impress me ? That was supposed to hold your argument ? A game with small maps and baked lightning ? As opposed to Cyberpunks entire city that uses 5 different ray tracing techniques next to real time day and night cicles ? At which point is last of us 2 better than Half Life Alyx, which also uses baked lightning, but since its in first person, everything needs to be higher fidelity because it needs to hold up as the player is looking at everything from 10 cm away ?

The fetish sony gives some of its fans is really a sight to behold. Morphing reality basically

Last edited:
I'm all ears.

Convenient isn't it?

Based on what?

But i know you won't read those posts/see what's inside them.
So i'll just leave you with a quote from Microsoft private documents:

"The visual quality and attention to detail in The Last of Us Part II is absolutely best-in-class in basically every area, and the overall presentation is significantly ahead of anything that other teams have been producing on console and PC."

Now can you please leave NXGamer alone? Or because of your butthurt you want the deprive us of the only industry guy left on this board?
Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

S Soulblighter31 so do you believe that Microsoft are Sony fanboys or can we trust their opinion on the game?

:unsure:

Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

S Soulblighter31 so do you believe that Microsoft are Sony fanboys or can we trust their opinion on the game?

:unsure:

some people here are under the impression that what an employee of microsoft said about last of us 2 somehow means more than it does. Its a guy, employed by microsoft, which gave his assessmentof the game. Why are we giving it importance as if it were some higher authority ?

Mr Moose

Why are people replying to that dumb troll? If it was an Xbox game he'd be on his knees licking his lips.

Anyway, I might do a second play through sometime in the near future to see what all the fuss is about.
I remember when TLoU remaster came out and I had to play it in 60fps, it just felt strange switching to 30 like a weird judder, not sure if it was the game or just my imagination.

Top Bottom