• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT - Is Donald Trump a Racist? (Spoiler Alert: Yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat4all

Banned
Of course not, cause you didn't grow up with him driving you to baseball practice and helping your father build a deck in the backyard. You have zero history with the man, so like I would expect you to take that stance.

What the hell kind of argument is that. He's your father.

jiggle

Ted Cruz deliberately got on stage and signaled to the audience "Hey, it's cool if you're not voting Trump, cause I ain't either."

That doesn't necessarily mean Hillary.
U know Dump is bad when evil incarnate Cruzifer is getting praised

BigDes

Of course not, cause you didn't grow up with him driving you to baseball practice and helping your father build a deck in the backyard. You have zero history with the man, so like I would expect you to take that stance.

We get it, your father is a saint who can do no wrong

He is also voting for a man who wanted to kill 5 innocent black teens

A saint.

Tarydax

Banned

So . . . he respects people of color because he drove you to baseball practice? Is that your argument?

sphagnum

Banned
Yeah and he is going to tell me why he votes for a Republican because his business, maybe it's just dumb luck but his business always seems to run better with a Republican in office. That's what he will tell me, I can say "pops, you know people say trump is a racist" and he will say "trump is a moron but I'm still voting republican"

What this says to me is that your father cares more about his business than racism. Now that may be a cold, hard calculation on his part. But that still means he is at least ok with white supremacy so long as he is not negatively affected.

So the a accountant wasn't lazy enough to not get a college degree and become a accountant. So once an accountant, he is officially lazy or more lazy, than he/she was before.

Toxi

Banned
I don't feel like he wants to kick out all mexicans/muslims he just want to get rid of the bad ones and have people come through the correct way, it's how i see it, maybe he's not the best wordsmith but I doubt the guy is racist.
"The bad ones"?

We're talking 11 million undocumented. You've seen them. You've benefitted from their services. You might have even talked to them and become friends with them.

To Trump, these people are rapists and murderers. To Trump, these people don't deserve to be treated like human beings. To Trump, these people are wetbacks. He might not call them wetbacks, but that sure as hell is how he sees them.

My parents and people off line live in a world where saying the N word is racist, not the laundry list of things today that mean you're racist.

Making yourself feel better by reducing racism to an obvious caricature in which people use racial slurs and wear white robes doesn't change the fact that people are affected by racism's more subtle forms on a daily basis.

They are hostile, they are angry, (and yes they have every right to be due to the political climate)

People supporting a blatantly obvious racist and claiming that they're not racist at all is not "the political climate," it's a personal choice that says something about their priorities and values.

Those priorities are things like "My taxes, dislike of Hillary Clinton, distrust of the establishment, love of guns, and/or my protest vote are more important than my neighbors who will be adversely affected by Donald Trump's policies on the basis of their race." They show just how much Trump supporters actually care about other people, which is to say very little.

If your personally father knew someone who would be adversely affected by Trump's policies on the basis of their race, would he still vote Trump?

I ask because there's really no way you can convincingly spin that as not being cold-blooded and uncaring.

Who gives a fuck? Honestly like what even is your argument? That "it's impossible for people who support Trump to be racist because my father supports Trump and he's not racist!"? Maybe you should take a long look at things and realize that your father is at worst a racist, at best has absolutely zero empathy for racism, which makes him kind of shitty in it's own way. Sorry if that destroys the image of your childhood hero.

Yeah and he is going to tell me why he votes for a Republican because his business, maybe it's just dumb luck but his business always seems to run better with a Republican in office. That's what he will tell me, I can say "pops, you know people say trump is a racist" and he will say "trump is a moron but I'm still voting republican"

Your dad has plenty of downticket repubs to support who hold actual real power where your dad has his business and vote for a third party candidate as president or not at all.

Your father is voting for someone who he describes as a "moron".

What does he (and you) think that makes him?

BokehKing

Banned
Who gives a fuck? Honestly like what even is your argument? That "it's impossible for people who support Trump to be racist because my father supports Trump and he's not racist!"? Maybe you should take a long look at things and realize that your father is at worst a racist, at best has absolutely zero empathy for racism, which makes him kind of shitty in it's own way. Sorry if that destroys the image of your childhood hero.
Good thing your opinion is just that then.

The whole Republican party is not racist, nor will they vote for Hillary because you guys are running around labeling people. Let's just see what happens in November. Have faith in your candidate, I have little faith in Johnson but that's who I believe in.

DedValve

Banned
My father, "the racist" would treat you with respect, if you were our neighbors he would invite you over for burgers and let your family use the pool if you didn't have one.

Sounds like you're looking for Goverment respect
And maybe my father and others like him can't relate to that because in his mind he already treats you like he treats everyone else.

He doesn't care what bathroom you use, he doesn't understand why suddenly people care what bathroom people use now. My father runs a business, to him the Republicans are a better choice. That's all there is to it.

lmao why are you putting racist in quotes. Your father the racist. Dare I say your triggered by it?

Its a fact. If you take offense to that then that makes it worse because you know racism is bad, you know he's a racist and yet you still try to defend him (what does that make you then?).

So your father is willing to vote a man who has threatened entire communities just so he could run a better business?

Would you say your father at best is uncaring towards the needs of minority groups and would rather see them further be abused, slaughtered and profiled just so he can get a few tax breaks?

Not only is your father a racist by your confirmation of all people but your actively painting him as an extremely selfish person who would rather see the masses suffer just so he could get better business.

Your also painting yourself as defending a racist. You could love your dad and still decry his racism, I do it all the time with my homophobic father. So I ask again what does that make you?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

The whole Republican party is not racist, nor will they vote for Hillary because you guys are running around labeling people. Let's just see what happens in November. Have faith in your candidate, I have little faith in Johnson but that's who I believe in.
I think we're past the point of opinions considering all that's been said in the thread. I think it's really telling how much you've ignored how many people have stated the list of ways to not be labelled as a racist.

The ones that support Trump absolutely are racists, like your father. People who stand by and allow (and worse, like your father, enable) racism to happen just because it's in their own best interest to do so are no better than the racists themselves.

"Sure Trump is a moron, who is going to try and deport 11 million people, who is going to create an environment that makes it toxic and dangerous to be a Muslim-American, who is supportive of the systemic and oppressive racism that permeates throughout this country, but hey my business does better with a Republican in office so fuck it"

What would you describe that as?

DedValve

Banned

labeling people by which you mean EXACTLY how Trump labels the majority of mexicans rapists and drug dealers?

Tuck

Sorry, but if you're dad really isn't racist, but is still voting Trump, then he's just an idiot. An idiot who condones racism. Which is nearly as bad.

DedValve

Banned
Sorry, but if you're dad really isn't racist, but is still voting Trump, then he's just an idiot. An idiot who condones racism. Which is nearly as bad.

When you vote for trump you are literally voting for a more racist country. That makes you a racist, not only is he enabling but he's actively supporting and TRYING to make America more racist.

So yeah his father is a racist. Not "racist" but racist. Fact.

When you vote for trump you are literally voting for a more racist country. That makes you a racist, not only is he enabling but he's actively supporting and TRYING to make America more racist.

So yeah his father is a racist. Not "racist" but racist. Fact.

But his business does better so fuck mexicans and blacks and muslims, right? Totally not a racist stance to value your own bank account over the well being of minorities.

CrisKre

Look. I know people i care about that will vote trump-few truth be told- but i talked to them regarding my views on why they shouldn't. I felt I had to. Some where open to my views, some wheren't.

It sucks to admit, but your dad seems to be choosing to benefit from a Trump presidency while ignoring the fact that he is voting a racist into the white house. However many niceties he does on a daily basis don't change this fact.

Maybe he isn't fully aware of the full extent and meaning of this choice. I don't know. But you are being made aware at this very moment. Do some research and act your conscience. If i where you, I would at least have a talk with him.

He seems nice. I'm sure he won't take it wrongly.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But his business does better so fuck mexicans and blacks and muslims, right? Totally not a racist stance to value your own bank account over the well being of minorities.
But it's ok tho he lets minorities use his pool occasionally. /s Seriously it's not possible to justify voting for Trump with all the racism and misogyny he's displayed not just during his run as a nominee but during his lifetime.

Oh that's cool bro, call my dad a racist, that's rather classy of you.

The dreams of people actually being offended by such a blanket statement due to guilty by association logic and magically voting Hillary just to cleanse themselves of the name calling being done by the opposing team is just silly to me.

It's never going to happen, people will tow the party line, each side will call each other's names just to piss the other side off

Time is a Flat Circle.

Because as we know, calling someone a racist is just as grievous an offense as supporting racist policies by voting for them.

Sorry that your dad is a racist, man. I might be in denial too, if I were you. It must be hard to admit that your father supports racism in America no matter how many black dudes or Latino dudes he so generously jokes around with at work.

Future

The problem with the trump business excuse for voting is he hasn't detailed one plan that shows his business expertise an action. Unless you consider: "I will get the smartest people. I will be the best. We will have the best economists." As showing his business skills

All he has done is rile people up and say what he will do to protect America. Mostly white America.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Well it sounds like your dad runs a business that bets against the American economy, or he's bad at math and history:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhar...nomy-history-says-vote-democrat/#44cc135767a1

Reagan's economic successes were directly connected to increasing taxes (which he did seven times) and his failures related to disastrous tax cuts.

Like any republican, objective views of the economy are tossed in the garbage in favor of subjective feelings about social issues.

But again, this is meaningless. Trump is objectively a bad businessman, objectively a racist, and objectively not properly aligned with the party he's running for. His only unreversed, stable philosophies have been racist ones. His wall. His Muslim lists.

Cuburt

The article is right that accusation of racism are a conversation stopper in any but the most blatant examples of racist actions and speech, and even in calling those things out people will rationalize it away and say that don't really mean it the way people take it.

That's why even with proof that Donald Trump is a racist and has acted like a racist in the past, specifically to black people, people just rationalize it away and not take it serious.

Regardless, Donald Trump is clearly a bigot, CLEARLY, but it doesn't have the same weight behind the word and doesn't sound as provocative as calling someone a racist, which is why it's weird but I see people use racist interchangeably with bigot all the time, when something isn't even remotely "race" related. Bigot also is so broad in the scope of hate that even when you think that someone blatantly is a misogynist, racist, xenophobe, homophone, etc. and you call them a bigot, it just doesn't have the same weight as any of those individual terms.

Donald Trump is a bigot. It doesn't matter if he "really believes it" or not, he's run his campaign on those views and has fanned the flames of people who really believe those attitudes and live by them. He also hopes to enact policies that enforces systemic racism and oppression. Rationalize away his racism all you want, he is a bigot and that is a terrible quality for a person that is running for president. Someone who hopes to discriminate against citizens of this very country.

BigDes

Instead of getting angry at people for attacking your father perhaps look at it in a different way. There are people in this thread who are legitimately terrified of a Trump presidency. There are people who you have been communicating with today on this board who have been told by Trump that they are somehow lesser than everyone else, that they are lazy or criminal or rapists or etc etc etc. The people in this thread they see the support that Trump has whipped up, how he has essentially normalized racist conversation.

So what I want you do for just a second is just try to imagine the fear, the terror, the sheer abject horror that some people are feeling as they watch a large portion of their country come out of the woodwork to spout their vile hatred. Now while you are still holding that thought, imagining all that dread, that feeling in the pit of your stomach that in a few months a racist fascist could be in power and what that could mean for them as a Black/Latino/LGBT/Muslim person I want you to read this line;

My Dad says business is always better under the Republicans so that is why he is voting Trump.

What do you think you would feel if you read that line? That the defense of Trump is that he is a better payday. You are asking people for empathy and sympathy toward your father. Where is his empathy and sympathy toward them?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The most baffling thing about this article... is that it needs to be written.

Like, the title says, "Is Donald Trump a racist?", phrased as a question. Like there's even a question to begin with.

Who in the seven hells is still denying that he's a racist?

Well it sounds like your dad runs a business that bets against the American economy, or he's bad at math and history:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhar...nomy-history-says-vote-democrat/#44cc135767a1

Reagan's economic successes were directly connected to increasing taxes (which he did seven times) and his failures related to disastrous tax cuts.

Like any republican, objective views of the economy are tossed in the garbage in favor of subjective feelings about social issues.

But again, this is meaningless. Trump is objectively a bad businessman, objectively a racist, and objectively not properly aligned with the party he's running for. His only unreversed, stable philosophies have been racist ones. His wall. His Muslim lists.

This too. If anything, Republicans who claim they are only Republicans for economic reasons should be as anti-Trump as anyone, as he is the complete opposite of a fiscal conservative. Do people like "baseball dad" think that doing shit like building walls, deporting 10 million people, banning Muslims from entry, making American Muslims register, ect... is going to be cheap? But hey, as long as Trump destroys the American economy on the backs of minorities instead of insignificant things like, say, providing healthcare to the masses I'm sure "baseball dad" is a-okay with it. But he's not a racist.

When Michael Moore said he thought Trump was going to win, he didn't say it was because of a huge swath of klansmen just waiting for Trump to come along. He (and Joy) are talking about displaced coal miners, steelworkers, factory workers. Trump is dripping poison in their ears in a language they've heard from none of the other candidates, promising they'll have their livelihood back by being tough on the politicians and corporations that have "betrayed" them. A lot of these people feel marginalized and forgotten, dismissing all of it as simple racism is foolish.

You'd think people would be able to recognize the blame lies with their employer. Instead of evolving and training them to maybe work in renewable sectors of energy, they kept them in the mines to ride that coal train. Here's a black lung to go with it!

For steel and factory, yeah it sucks. But there was no way the US could compete globally while being isolationist. Unless everyone wants to pay triple prices or more for everything I guess. I guess they'll figure that out real quick if Trump gets in.

Theecliff

Banned

Like, the title says, "Is Donald Trump a racist?", phrased as a question. Like there's even a question to begin with.

some people in this thread, evidently.

the mental gymnastics people go through to justify voting for this cunt is something else

Corto

The media is so afraid to use the word racist it's embarrassing. At least this article puts together enough examples.

The crazy thing is that one should be enough. And enough to tarnish his candidacy to such extent that he should be forced to give up. Someone that is so blatantly racist and bigoted should have no place in running for the Presidency of a democracy using a mainstream party as a platform. He should be running independently. At his own cost. Even more so if one of his main points is being anti establishment, anti political mainstream.

Fj0823

lmao

Tarydax

Banned

You do realize that's Donald Trump's whole shtick, right? Mexicans are rapists, Muslims are terrorists, black people are violent criminals . . . labeling people (and complaining about political correctness) is how he got so popular in the first place.

You can't say that your dad is concerned about his business when he's voting for a man who would create trade wars with China and Mexico and whose policies would cripple our economy so badly it would make the Great Recession of 2008 look like a joke. He would deprive the economy of over $10 trillion dollars in revenue and still spend big on the military and Social Security, crashing the economy. If your dad wants his business to fail so badly, he can do that himself; he shouldn't take everyone else down with him.

He can't be that concerned about national security, either, if he votes for the guy who wants to give Saudi Arabia nuclear weapons.

Ponn

Banned

Trump supporters that don't want to be labelled racists.

Sanjuro

Any black gaffers that live in a Trump tower? How is it?

I hear the dress code is strict.

uPEmcxn.gif

VanWinkle

Been reading through the thread and man it kind of scares me how divisive and hateful the two political sides are. They have completely vilified the other side. You want to unite people, but how are you going to do that by reduced their entire livelihood to "racist; homophobe; xenophobe; bigot"? What are these labels going to accomplish? You can't change people's minds by insulting them.

It just makes me sad when I see how divided we are, and both sides just completely enable that division. I understand that outdated bigoted ideals are unfortunate and have to change if we can progress, but it's like we forget that people are more than just their outdated ideals. People are human and multifaceted and need to be shown respect and understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom