• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Russian Government Sought to Aid Trump’s Candidacy, According to Email

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
This seems like a true bombshell to me.

This directly contradicts the flat statements made by Trump, Pence, and everyone else all along that no one connected to Trump met with Russians about the campaign.

It's illegal in itself since the meeting was not disclosed on the security forms.

It's probably illegal as an attempt to receive a "thing of value" (valuable information) from a foreign national related to a campaign.

The lies from everyone involved strongly suggest that they are attempting to hide the real nail in the coffin, most likely direct collusion over the email leaks and possibly/probably talks about the quid pro quo of easing sanctions.

My last worries that "maybe there's really not anything illegal" have evaporated.

Mr. Simpson, your progress astounds me.

Clefargle

Smaller Don tweeting.
Na_ytto_kuva_2017-07-11_kello_15.35.47.png

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/884751036614946816

Lol

Nah, this is just what you gave us for free dumbshit

Maxim726X

This directly contradicts the flat statements made by Trump, Pence, and everyone else all along that no one connected to Trump met with Russians about the campaign.

It's illegal in itself since the meeting was not disclosed on the security forms.

It's probably illegal as an attempt to receive a "thing of value" (valuable information) from a foreign national related to a campaign.

The lies from everyone involved strongly suggest that they are attempting to hide the real nail in the coffin, most likely direct collusion over the email leaks and possibly/probably talks about the quid pro quo of easing sanctions.

My last worries that "maybe there's really not anything illegal" have evaporated.

So... If they really walked away from the meeting with no information (which I don't buy for a second) would this be considered 'attempted collusion'? And would that differ in any meaningful way from actual regular ass collusion?

So... If they really walked away from the meeting with no information (which I don't buy for a second) would this be considered 'attempted collusion'? And would that differ in any meaningful way from actual regular ass collusion?

"Fake news! Yes, we met with an adversarial government to get damaging information that would help us win the election. And yes, we discussed sanctions. But the fake news didn't even report that we never got that damaging information! Where's the collusion?"

Veselnitskaya said she did not know why Trump Jr. believed she was planning to offer damaging information about Clinton.

"It is quite possible that maybe they were longing for such information," she told NBC. "They wanted it so badly that they could only hear the thought that they wanted."

She said Trump Jr. asked her just one question: whether she had financial records indicating inappropriate donations to the Democratic National Committee.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-lawyer-idUSKBN19W174

GOP Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL):

”Do I think it's appropriate? I think I probably would have done the same thing," Yoho told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. ”I mean, it's opposition research. Anybody that's been in an election, you're always looking to get the upper hand."

Yoho added separately, referring to the Kremlin-linked Russian lawyer with whom Trump admitted to meeting on June 9, 2016 after being promised dirt on Hillary Clinton: ”As a Russian lawyer, does that mean the country of Russia was the one behind this? I don't think so. So, again, I stand on the side of the president 100 percent on this."

Care to elaborate a little on Pres Trump's involvement on this issue, Ted?

commedieu

Banned
GOP Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL):

If it's normal. It should have been disclosed. Anyone that knows the first thing about Russia knows you don't make it high up in society without being involved in government. As they clamp down on all things successful.

Cheezus

I think everybody is overreacting. There's nothing shady about appointing a known compromised individual onto your cabinet after repeatedly being warned about it by intelligence and then lying that you weren't aware of it after being forced to fire him, firing the FBI director because he wouldn't end an investigation into your campaign's Russia ties after trying to frame it as retribution for his conduct against your political opponent while having previously praised those very same actions publicly on Twitter, your cabinet Secretary perjuring himself in congressional testimony multiple times and claiming he couldn't remember meetings with high profile Russian officials or what the meetings were about, your son in law establishing a communication back channel with Russia's government, your own son discussing sanctions with a Russian lobbyist over the promise of damaging info against your opponent, and repeatedly discrediting your own intelligence community in favor of Putin's honest good word that he definitely pinky promise didn't meddle in an election that you directly benefited from.

Fake news folks.

KingV

You have become "one of us" ;-)

Edit: one another note, Ted Yoho is admitting that he is willing to break campaign finance laws to win elections. That sure is.... something.

I think everybody is overreacting. There's nothing shady about appointing a known compromised individual onto your cabinet after repeatedly being warned about it by intelligence and then lying that you weren't aware of it after being forced to fire him, firing the FBI director because he wouldn't end an investigation into your campaign's Russia ties after trying to frame it as retribution for his conduct against your political opponent while having previously praised those very same actions publicly on Twitter, your cabinet Secretary perjuring himself in congressional testimony multiple times and claiming he couldn't remember meetings with high profile Russian officials or what the meetings were about, your son in law establishing a communication back channel with Russia's government, your own son discussing sanctions with a Russian lobbyist over the promise of damaging info against your opponent, and repeatedly discrediting your own intelligence community in favor of Putin's honest good word that he definitely pinky promise didn't meddle in an election that you directly benefited from.

Fake news folks.

But Hillary would have turned this country over to the liberals! I'd rather give the country to Russia first! - your average republican.

Collusion is a colloquialism, it's not a legal term of art. By merely taking the meeting, collusion occurred, unless you're using a very narrow definition of the term.

Conspiracy is the legal term of art we should all be focusing on, and I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk of this in the media. Russia hacking the DNC's and Podesta's emails is a federal crime. If Trump and company were involved in a conspiracy with the Russians, then they can be indicted for the crime of hacking. That's how conspiracy works in criminal law. You don't actually have to commit the crime yourself to get charged with it if you conspired with the actor that performed the crime.

Wait, I thought Sebastian "Oopsie doopsie,I have joined a Nazi groupsie" Gorka was not working at the White House anymore?

45 wouldn't break up with that group. He's still there being a human shitstain just like everyone on the alt right.

Apparently attempts to solicit "things of value" from foreign nationals, in relation to an election, are also criminal.

Pillville

Fuck the GOP. Not that I'm surprised to see them defend this as well.

In their minds:
Hillary and Left/Dems/Libs are the enemy of America.
Any action against the enemy of America justified.
If Putin helped defeat enemy, then Putin is a friend.

In reality:
Hillary and Left/Dems/Libs are fellow Americans.
If they got help from Putin to attack fellow Americans.......

RoKKeR

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/...eakingNews&contentID=65556520&pgtype=Homepage

The June 3, 2016, email sent to Donald Trump Jr. could hardly have been more explicit: One of his father’s former Russian business partners had been contacted by a senior Russian government official and was offering to provide the Trump campaign with dirt on Hillary Clinton.

The documents “would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father,” read the email, written by a trusted intermediary, who added, “This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump.”

If the future president’s elder son was surprised or disturbed by the provenance of the promised material — or the notion that it was part of an ongoing effort by the Russian government to aid his father’s campaign — he gave no indication.

He replied within minutes: “If it’s what you say I love it especially later in the summer.”

Holy shit.

"This... is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump."

"If it's what you say I love it"

Lawd.

cameron

"HE'S NOT EVEN A MEMBER OF THE ADMINISTRATION!"

http://shareblue.com/panicked-white...-hes-not-even-a-member-of-the-administration/

Damn they scared.

Junior is now Carter Page tier. SAD!

Also, Jared Kushner and Paul Manafort were at the meeting with Natalia. Paul Manafort was "Trump's campaign chair and chief strategist" until August 19, 2016. https://ballotpedia.org/Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign_key_staff_and_advisors,_2016

lol @ "In order to be totally transparent". Junior, plz.

Ovid

WTF!!!

Why did he release this?

EDIT: Ah, the NYTimes released it first and he tried to get out in front of it.

Dummy.

Donald Trump Jr.
Here's my statement and the full email chain

Well first of all it's obviously not "the full email chain" since Rob's part shown here begins with "I believe you are aware of the meeting" which means it had already been planned.

And secondly, he describes her as "the Russian government attorney" which ends the excuse of "Jr had no reason to believe the info wasn't coming from the russian government".

jiiikoo

Banned
In one of the docs Small Trump tweeted, it says something about Emin. Is this the same Emin Bigly Trump tweeted about when he tweeted "EMIN WAS WOW"? Probably.

Top Bottom