• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Feb NPD 2007 Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time. Thursday the data is released and we'll do our best to provide a summary of the results. HW will obviously be available as well as the top 10 SW. So, feel free to make your predictions here.

As has traditionally been the case, Wedbush provides us with their estimates for the month. Missing is Wii Play, which should easily eclipse 100k. I also believe PS3 HW will be substantially lower than 200k.

Reproduced for the first time with permission from Wedbush ;)

Wedbush said:
February 2007 Video Game Sales Preview: Expect 20% Sales Growth

We expect February U.S. retail video game console software sales data to be released after market close on Thursday, March 15. We forecast sales of $415 million, up 20% compared to last year’s $345 million. There is some risk to variance from our estimate, as it is based on month-over-month flat sales forecasts for the PS3 and Wii. Should sales of those platforms materially differ from weekly sales levels in January, there may be upside or downside to our software sales growth estimates.

Our estimate reflects $240 million in sales contribution from new platforms (PS3, Wii, 360, PSP and DS), representing year-over-year growth of $140 million, or 141%. We expect current generation software sales of $175 million, reflecting a year-over-year decrease of $70 million (-29%).

Our forecast presumes sell through of 200,000 PS3 and 350,000 Wii hardware systems, with an attach rate of 2.4 software units. These figures reflect flat hardware sales month-over-month, adjusted for the extra week in January.

Our overall estimates assume PS2 software sales of $120 million, and presume that strong sales trends continue (PS2 software sales were down only 7% last month on a pro forma basis).

We note that our estimates include $70 million in software sales for the PS3 and Wii, which is based on our expectation of a tie ratio of 2.4 units for each hardware unit sold (350,000 Wii hardware units x $50 ASP x 2.4 plus 200,000 PS3 hardware units x $60 ASP x 2.4). Our expected tie ratio is similar to last month’s 2.2 tie ratio for the Wii and 2.7 tie ratio for the PS3.

We expect February sales to be driven by continued strong sales of Activision’s Guitar Hero II along with other top holiday releases. The top February releases were Take-Two’s MLB 2K7 (PS3, PS2, 360, PSP), Sega’s Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3), Microsoft’s Crackdown (360) and Electronic Arts’ The Sims 2 Seasons (PC). We note that 10 games sold over 100,000 units in January, and we expect seven in February (compared to five last year).

We expect the recent sales strength on the PS2 to continue through at least March, given strong sell-through performance over the past eight months and negative high teen percentage comparisons for the next two months. We note that the negative comparisons for PS2 software sales reverse in April, making continued sales strength less likely at that time. Due to the high level of software support expected for the PS2 platform for the foreseeable future, we expect only modest year-over-year declines (approximately 20%) for the first half of 2007. The degree of decline in the second half of the year will depend upon next generation.

If they assume flat sales month over month, that would put 360 in the range of 240k-ish.

I don't understand the thread title though, they didn't speculate on Crackdown sales.

FrankT

szaromir said:
No mention of 360 HW sales? :eek:
Wii and PS3 perform well.

Didn't predict 360 sales last month either. I do agree that the PS3 sales could be far less than 200k and yes Crackdown will own all. What was the tie ratio to the PS3 last month? Not so sure about that 2.7.

Saitou

Banned
I guess they got tired of predicting 4x-5x what the 360 actually sold, eh?

I kid, I kid.

Also, I'd wager Wii sales to reach 400k.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
If they assume flat sales month over month, that would put 360 in the range of 240k-ish.

I don't understand the thread title though, they didn't speculate on Crackdown sales.

I did. With Lost Planet being over 400k last month, Crackdown very well might smoke that IMO.

farnham

Banned
sonycowboy said:
I did. With Lost Planet being over 400k last month, Crackdown very well might smoke that IMO.

wow really.. i thought it was 350k something... (probably with limited edition ?)

crackdown has the Halo3beta thinggy so i guess it will sell quite well

anyway no words on Wii Play..?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I predict we won't get numbers this week :p

Wii 377k
DS 350k
X360 240k
PS2 225k
PS3 200k
PSP 155k
GBA 130k

call it anicdotal evidence but last month and the beginning of this month have been the only 2 months where i've actually started seeing 360s purchased more in plain view by masses. I havent seen people buying ANYTHING in the past 2 years outside of launch but its just funny to see 360 boxes toted around everywhere. Crackdown+the promise of a halo 3 beta maybe? I expect a decent month for 360. better than expected.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I'm rubbish at SW predicting so i'll stick with the easy stuff, Crackdown to do 500k ish, and TP to continue selling ok, 100k on Wii.

As for hardware,

Wii: 325-360k (Severely supply constrained)
PS3: 130-160k (Supply is no longer an excuse Sony)
Xbox 360: 220-260k (Decent middling performance, I expect this to continue through the year)
DSlite: 400-450k (They still can't get enough)
PSP: 190-230k (Decent enough, still not in DSlites league)
PS2: 180-220k (Starting to finally run out of steam)

Is it true that a week of February's sales were included in the January NPD sales list? If so, sales should be much lower this month. Plus Febuary is a shorter month.

perfectchaos007 said:
Is it true that a week of February's sales were included in the January NPD sales list? If so, sales should be much lower this month. Plus Febuary is a shorter month.

January was 5 weeks vs it's normal 4 (Sunday Dec 31st -> Saturday Feb 3rd). February will have 4 weeks as usual (Sunday Feb 4th -> Saturday Mar 3rd).

The reason for the extra week is that NPD has a 4-4-5 retail calendar that covers 364 days in a given year. So after 6-7 years, they need to add an extra week into January to compensate.

February should be directly comparable.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Short month = less sales.

DSlite: 300k
Wii: 270k
PS2: 250k
PSP: 210k (improving)
PS3: 180k (Should be better in march.)
Xbox 360: 220k

leehom

sonycowboy said:
Why not match wits and give your own predictions? ;)
50 million 360's
200k ps3's
450k wii's

0 ds
0 gba
0 psp
0 ngage
0 3d0
0 jaguar
0 lynx
0 snes
0 sms
0 neo geo
0 phantom
0 game gear
0 tg16
0 nes
0 genesis
0 gameboy
0 neo geo pocket

I'm guaranteed to be over 75% accurate.

Wii 400k
Nintendo DS 360k
Xbox 360 310k
Playstation 2 280k
Playstation 3 260k
PSP 215k
GBA 190k

FYI, week-on-week February is historically a bigger month than January.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wii 410k- just a hunch, but I think Nintendo is finally starting to ship more- saw a lot more ads with Wii's on sale

DS 370k

X360 230k- same old

PS2 200k- just a guess

PS3 2180k- think sales slowed down even more

PSP- 180K

LOCK

Hopefully Sonic didn't bomb.

Titles over 100k will probably be:
Crackdown
Zelda Wii
Lost Planet
Gears
Guitar Heroes 2
Wii Play
Sonic

DS Rules: 380k
Wii: 360k
Xbox 360: 260k
PS2: 250k
PS3: 200k
PSP: 190k
GBA:180K

llTll

Banned
i really dont know what to make out of it.

if xbox 360 outsold the PS3. then what do we have here gaf?

Assuming the 360 outside the PS3 by 50k difference. is it :

1- good news for Sony as they were able to sell almost as much as 400$ console yet they are higher than in price by 200$

2- bad news for sony as they are not out selling the 360 and the ps3 was just released 3 months ago or so.

i really dont know what to make out of this

also. how come we are getting the NPD early? it wasnt 2 weeks since we got the one before this.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DS: 375k
Wii: 335k
360: 280k
PSP: 250k
PS2: 245k
GBA: 220k
PS3: 190k
Cube: 10k
Xbox: 3k

Big sellers: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Crackdown, Lost Planet, Wii Play, VF5, and some sports games that I don't care about =P

llTll said:
also. how come we are getting the NPD early? it wasnt 2 weeks since we got the one before this.

Last months NPD was delayed from Thursday, Feb 15th to Tuesday, Feb 21st because of technical issues. It would have been Monday, but for President's Day.

So, yes, this NPD will be released slightly over 3 weeks since the last release.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmm...

DS: 325k
Wii: 300k
PS3: 250k
X360: 220k
PS2: 175k
PSP: 100k

Yeah, I dunno what these come from, but they popped into my brain when I clicked on the topic, so I'm going with these. I also hope VF5 kicked ass. Game deserves it.

sonycowboy said:
Why not match wits and give your own predictions? ;)

Because I'm not an analyst. If I have to make a prediction, any number could be good. It is like to play with the roulette. But if you insist:

PS2: 219k
Gamecube: 22k
Xbox360: 228k
PS3: 195k
Wii: 366k
GBA: 140k
Nintendo DS: 350k (bah, impossible to predict, because shipments are irregulars; this number is valid if the machine has not supply's problems anymore, but I doubt it)
PSP: 163k

Hammer24

Banned
Wii - 410k (or whatever they were able to ship)
DSL - 390k (see above)
PS2 - 275k (GOW2 on the horizon)
360 - 220k (aside from Crackdown it was more of a slow month, I´d guess)
PS3 - 210k (VF5 and MS should at least move _some_ units)
PSP - 190k (Doctor, I can feel a pulse - it´s not dead!)

Baker

Banned
PS3: 300k
360: 200k
Wii: 100k

Not my bias, but considering enough came out for the PS3 to force me to buy one, I'm giving them February in the console race. Wii will probably end up higher, but I've had a running bet with a buddy that it will be 100k or less so I'm sticking to my guns.

DenogginizerOS said:
I thought NPD wasn't delivering numbers to message boards anymore.

There has been a change in their media distribution policy, however NeoGAF will continue to receive NPD data.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
sonycowboy said:
There has been a change in their media distribution policy, however NeoGAF will continue to receive NPD data.

Will we get the numbers before other websites/news sites have them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom