• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

NeoUltima said:
For all we know, Turok, Rockband, CoD4, ect, sold the same ratio on ps3 and 360. They(ps3 versions) just wouldn't qualify for the top 10. Just cause they aren't in the top 10, doesn't mean they don't sell.

However, we already know that the 360 has the highest attach rate, and PS3 has the lowest...so why even assume anything except the obvious?

We can only go on what we definitely know.

Iksenpets

Banned
Holy crap, not even DMC could knock CoD out of the top spot. I guess it's going to be up there all the way until GTA hits. Anyway, impressive show for Sony's hardware, and for getting DMC PS3 so close to the 360 version. And once again 360 is a software beast with 5 in the top ten. And Nintendomination with the Wii and DS sales. Overall, I say everyone's got something to brag about this month.

Redd

Where are these sales happening. The last time I saw a Wii was in a gamestop on Black Friday. Also who keeps buying PS2? I thought everyone that wanted one had it by now.

If Sony's smart they would keep supporting the PS2 until the sales die down. In fact release some new colors bitches love that.:D

gtj1092

TheGreatDave said:
If DMC sells better on the PS3 than the 360 in any country, it'll be because the 360 has a smaller audience. Not because of "brand loyalty". It outsold the PS3 version in the UK, and we used to such Sony's cock and beg for a money shot.

360 leads the Ps3 in the Uk.

Raistlin

Narcosis said:
Seeing the numbers for DS, PS2 and Wii, it's like HD consoles are fighting for the best seat on the little bus while everyone else rides a limo :lol

I'm not sure why this is surprising. They cost more, and not everyone has an HDTV.

They will ramp up (or at least which ever console starts to take over between the two).

This will get interesting. MS has set a date in stone for their return to current gen 2nd placedom against the PS3. I really can't wait to see what happens.

le.phat said:
sony more then doubled last year's february sell through. pretty impressive!

I'm biases as hell but even I have to admit that it all comes down to this....

I think Microsoft needs to step it's game up and come out with a US price drop, why they haven't yet is beyond me.

Zzoram

knitoe said:
Has more to do with the perception that PS3 version was / is the better version than brand loyalty. Can't blame them since it all started once it was 1st announced as a PS3 exclusives.

GTA IV for X360 will be seen as better version.

DMC4 actually sold PS3s last year, while I'm completely confident in stating that DMC4 didn't sell any Xbox 360s. It's just the consumer whores that buy 3 games a month decided it made the list because it was a slow month.

Chinner said:
not long till gears 2 goes mutiplatform now

It's pretty long. Bill already signed the check for that one. Mark cashed it. Bank stamped it. Bill's assistant filed it after getting the cleared check back in the mail a month later.

Etcetera.

Culex

Banned
Leondexter said:
LTD:

PS2 41,662,418
Xbox 14,499,962
GCN 11,768,835
GBA 36,019,904
NDS 18,429,858
PSP 10,985,136
X360 9,608,486
PS3 3,800,096
Wii 8,075,381

Wii crossed 8 million. Nice!

Xbox360 will hit 10 million by April's numbers.

PS3 will cross 4 million next month.

Iksenpets said:
Holy crap, not even DMC could knock CoD out of the top spot. I guess it's going to be up there all the way until GTA hits. Anyway, impressive show for Sony's hardware, and for getting DMC PS3 so close to the 360 version. And once again 360 is a software beast with 5 in the top ten. And Nintendomination with the Wii and DS sales. Overall, I say everyone's got something to brag about this month.

There is a little game called Super Smash Bros that came out this month that's going to crush everything, everywhere ;)

Lost Odyssey didn't sell well. It's sold ~200k in America, ~100k in Japan, and for argument's sake say it sells ~200k in Europe and then another ~100k across all three markets for the rest of its sales life.

That's still only 600k. That has to be a big financial loss when you add in the game's marketing budget.

Pachael

Narcosis said:
Seeing the numbers for DS, PS2 and Wii, it's like HD consoles are fighting for the best seat on the little bus while everyone else rides a limo :lol

The console and handheld wars are over. Everyone else is fighting for 2nd place :lol :lol

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Liara T'Soni said:
I'm not pretending that I don't only own a 360...just saying what I feel it is.

I honestly don't think it has much to do with brand loyalty as it does simply logistics....

I'm just getting this out now before the onslaught of "OMG, 360 can't hang with Playstation titles" arises.

Do you disagree with my analysis?

No I agree with you that software is better on the 360 it's just soon the storm will come to the trolls and that what I was saying too just relax and chill till they come.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Chinner said:
not long till gears 2 goes mutiplatform now
rabbids_2.gif

Mrbob

I wish we could move WiiPlay off the software charts and onto the accessory charts. It is clearly being bought as an extra controller, and since we only get 10 slots a month for software sales it feels like a waste having it on the top 10 list.

andthebeatgoeson

Stumpokapow said:
Uh, no.

The Wii beat the 360 for software last month and the month before. The DS demolishes its only competition by triple-digit factors, even taking into account install base differences. There's more to software than the top 10.

The PS3's software is poor, inside and outside the top 10. Not PSP level poor by any means, but certainly still fairly weak.

Woah buddy, I didn't know that. We got a link?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Stumpokapow said:
Uh, no.

The Wii beat the 360 for software last month and the month before. The DS demolishes its only competition by triple-digit factors, even taking into account install base differences. There's more to software than the top 10.

The PS3's software is poor, inside and outside the top 10. Not PSP level poor by any means, but certainly still fairly weak.

Sony has as much software in the top ten as Nintendo does thats the point i was making to the troll so shooshup.

Owzers

GremlinInTheMachine said:
Lost Odyssey didn't sell well. It's sold ~200k in America, ~100k in Japan, and for argument's sake say it sells ~200k in Europe and then another ~100k across all three markets for the rest of its sales life.

That's still only 600k. That has to be a big financial loss when you add in the game's marketing budget.

I'm going to guess that you're crazy.

Mifune

Mehmber
BenjaminBirdie said:
Eh. All three consoles are displaying their own strengths now, all three have proven they'll make it through this gen supporting their users outrageously well.

Which makes for a very friendly environment.

Not enough console warmongering in this post.

Return to sender.

kbear

Mrbob said:
I wish we could move WiiPlay off the software charts and onto the accessory charts. It is clearly being bought as an extra controller, and since we only get 10 slots a month for software sales it feels like a waste having it on the top 10 list.
Don't let Stumpakow hear that.

Mrbob said:

I wouldn't say "clearly". Going under the assumption Wii sells a lot of units to a casual gamers, it's a perfect game for them. My girlfriend enjoyed it, and she didn't care that she got a controller with it.

For the purposes of GAF knowing sale numbers for games, obviously I agree though. We'll never know what was number 11...

Mrbob said:

I second this NPD! It feels wrong all around.

It sold 200K in first month, give it time

I really hope they going to localize Layton 2.

Mrbob said:

Well at least you wont have to deal with this with Wii Fit. (if what Matt C says is true)

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
sonycowboy said:
Of course, you're not aware of what lurks below the top 10 are you. Considering the userbase, it's not quite as one-sided as the 360 having 5 of the top 10 would lead you to believe.

Overall, it was a spectacular month for most systems SW wise, but the 360 continues it's strong SW sales. It's going to set all-time records for tie ratios by the time it's done. It really is a machine.

All any of us can do is comment on the information provided to us. That shows the 360 as a software selling beast. Selling nearing 5 times the PS3 software numbers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
kbear said:
Don't let Stumpakow hear that.

It's cute when people think I'm a fanboy because I have an interest in numbers and want to discuss them objectively. Shows how pathetic the state of discourse is in NPD threads.

Narcosis

For a Japanese RPG that doesn't have "Final fantasy" or "Dragon Quest" in the name, that's really good for initial sales. Square's sales numbers on their larger games skew perceptions of the entire genre as a whole as far as what we should expect from JRPG retail numbers

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
captscience said:
Is DMC4 going to be the first multiplatform title to sell better on PS3 than 360 worldwide?

Bodes well for Sony with the forthcoming GTA4 sales war. Proves a certain amount of brand loyalty when it come to a series being associated with the playstation name.

OR, it could mean people bought other games on the 360. I do see a few of them on the top 10, is that just me?

so 600k in the first month for a game isnt good?

Top Bottom