• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

samratty

Wow good numbers for all pretty much, console wise. Wii, PS2 and DS are insane but PS3 and 360 are respectable.

I expected better numbers for DMC4 tbh, but they're still good.

mildewproduction

captive said:
360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2
PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4

Very close.

LOL first month will be close, then 360 will pull way ahead. That is what huge user base does over tiny base.

Devil May Cry 4
XBOX 360-slow sales over time
PS3-No games everyone buys first week.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
harSon said:
I think there is a pretty large difference between Devil May Cry and Grand Theft Auto.

How so? Both are large Playstation franchises moving to the 360.

mildewproduction said:
PS3-No games everyone buys first week.

People are still pulling that crap? :lol :lol

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
I love how the Sony fans ignore the software numbers. :lol :lol

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
ZealousD said:
PS3 outsells 360 again this month?

I'm surprised GAF isn't freaking out again.

They are "Supply contrained".......................................

Wow at Sony's numbers, $99 PS2 for PAL please, might pick up a slim then.

kbear

Stumpokapow said:
Wii Play is at 4.7 million.
Halo 3 is at 4.9 million publicly + a few hundred k uncharted sales.
I wasn't referring to the numbers. I was talking about comparing a controller + $10 mini-game collection to a full-fledged game like Halo 3.

nib95

Banned
hauton said:
Quick Analysis

A) PS3 beating 360 a second month in a row, and the consensus is that there was little, if any, shortage of 360s for Feb (maybe slight shortages for the first week or two)
B) Devil May Cry 4 doing nearly as well on PS3 as 360 with a much smaller install base
C) Call of Duty 4 360 is UNSTOPPABLE
D) PS2 is GODLIKE, IT HASN'T EVEN HIT $99 YET!
E) Wii and DS dominate, but what else is new? DS is especially crazy @ over half a fucking million
F) Good to see the PSP still healthy - I'm pretty sure the consensus by now is that the PSP has been a mild success story for Sony, standing up to Nintendo in the handheld race where no one else could

Pretty much sums it up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shiggy said:
Will the Wii sell 1.5 million more consoles than the X360 in the coming four months?

Nope. It might be able to this year, but not in the next four months. Unless you're talking worldwide, in which case duh

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
harSon said:
I bet the Playstation 3 version of Devil May Cry 4 eventually outsells the Xbox 360 version.

World wide, I think it's at that point already. Just a guess, of course.

Syntek

Phew, good to see that Lost Odyssey is doing well, around 4 times as much as Japan's first month IIRC.

Not much difference between DMC4 numbers, and not all that much more than Japan's numbers. Worldwide-wise, PS3 DMC4 should probably be ahead.

hauton said:
Quick Analysis

A) PS3 beating 360 a second month in a row, and the consensus is that there was little, if any, shortage of 360s for Feb (maybe slight shortages for the first week or two)B) Devil May Cry 4 doing nearly as well on PS3 as 360 with a much smaller install base
C) Call of Duty 4 360 is UNSTOPPABLE
D) PS2 is GODLIKE, IT HASN'T EVEN HIT $99 YET!
E) Wii and DS dominate, but what else is new? DS is especially crazy @ over half a fucking million
F) Good to see the PSP still healthy - I'm pretty sure the consensus by now is that the PSP has been a mild success story for Sony, standing up to Nintendo in the handheld race where no one else could
you are crazy. it just came back in stock now, in march.

harSon said:
I bet the Playstation 3 version of Devil May Cry 4 eventually outsells the Xbox 360 version.

Once again though, if it's like, the only game Playstation owners are buying, isn't this expected, regardless of user base?

When Sony has 5 games competing with 360 software sales, I will turn my head, right now however, it's simple logic why this can happen.

GhaleonEB

Here's how my predictions panned out.

Code:
System	Me	Actual	 Delta 
360	225	254.6	 30 
NDS	340	587.6	 248 
PS2	210	351.8	 142 
PS3	245	280.8	 36 
PSP	210	243.1	 33 
WII	360	432	 72

The DS and - surprisingly - the PS2 are what destroyed my expectations. The PS2 is just a monster and I think this is a sign that it's going to continue to be a force to be reconed with for the rest of the year. Incredible performance.

No major surprises aside from those, though in general everything did a bit better than I expected. Great month for hardware.

sonycowboy said:
360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE* ACTIVISION 7-Nov 296.2K 1
360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7-Feb 289.7K 3
PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 222.9K 5
NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA 8-Jan 205.6K 6
360 LOST ODYSSEY MICROSOFT 8-Feb 203.6K 7
360 TUROK TOUCHSTONE 8-Jan 197.7K 8
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 183.8K 9
360 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS 7-Nov 161.8K 10

1) CoD4 still selling gangbusters on the 360. There's the answer to the Live charts - tons of new users. It's got mad legs.
2) Close spread in DMC4, as expected. Sales not as high as I expected on both versions, but then I don't pay attention to the franchise so I'm not sure how it squares with past titles.
3) Good Lost Odyssey and Turok numbers. Surprising on both count! Congrats, bish!

Das-J

Law of the West
avaya said:
PS2 is amazing.

Seriously!
th_eek.gif

Those LO numbers are also very nice!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
kbear said:
I wasn't referring to the numbers. I was talking about comparing a controller + $10 mini-game collection to a full-fledged game like Halo 3.

I was referring to the numbers. Wii Play is considered software by NPD (as opposed to Wii Fit and the Wii Zapper bundle, which will both be considered accessories) and Wii Play is on the verge of taking the best-selling piece of software for this generation title back from Halo 3.

Wow, good numbers for the PS3, that´s good, Sony. And PS2 is REALLY AWESOME OMFG

360 is ok, as there might have been problems with supply for the first Feb week or so.

Now what about last feb´s numbers so we can make a comparison?

Narcosis

I think there is a pretty large difference between Devil May Cry and Grand Theft Auto.

I'd say so too. It was evident to everyone but system wars loyalists that capcom did an amazing job of making DMC4 as equal as possible on both consoles. You cannot go wrong with either version if you own both consoles and you don't feel like you're getting a gimped version if you are a single HD console owner.
On the other hand, everything we've officially seen of GTAIV has been 360 centric, we know MS has exclusive content coming, and it's very much in doubt that Rockstar will be able to make the disc versions of GTAIV on both consoles as equal as DMC4 is. I am seriously expecting the pS3 version to look worse, have more issues like slowdown/framerate etc, and I think GTAIV is gonna be seen as more of a 360 must buy for multiplatform owners.

Did the mods do surgical strikes on known trolls or something? This has been really tame and I must say refreshing so far.

Those numbers are awesome

Wow at LO. Wow at DS. Wow at PS2. Wow at PS3. Congrats to bish for a top ten finish for Turok. Wow at games still struggiling to be accepted in the media. :D

DeadGzuz

Banned
Shepherd said:
I love how the Sony fans ignore the software numbers. :lol :lol

I love 360 fans can't comprehend how much smaller the NA user base is. Did you fail math? How about you divide all the 360 software sales by 3 and post a new top ten list?

Concept17

Great sales all around. DS is rediculous... when will it go down like in Japan? I guess 130$ is easier to toss away though...

PS3 doing great even at 400/500$. Can't wait to see the system at 300/400. Whenever that may be.

Culex said:
Can we get updated LTD's for the hardware from anyone?

LTD:

PS2 41,662,418
Xbox 14,499,962
GCN 11,768,835
GBA 36,019,904
NDS 18,429,858
PSP 10,985,136
X360 9,608,486
PS3 3,800,096
Wii 8,075,381

kbear

Stumpokapow said:
I was referring to the numbers. Wii Play is considered software by NPD (as opposed to Wii Fit and the Wii Zapper bundle, which will both be considered accessories) and Wii Play is on the verge of taking the best-selling piece of software for this generation title back from Halo 3.
Ugh.. nevermind. Congrats.

legend166

Here is my expert* analysis:

1. Nintendo wins. So much for those Wii shortages. Next month is going to be huuuuuuuuge. DS continues it's rampage.

2. 360 should have had a pricedrop last November, but Microsoft are dumb dumbs. They'll prove it again by only dropping the price $50 in April, when they should drop it $100. They've let Sony back in.

3. The PS3 is actually putting up decent numbers for the first time. Who knows if it will last in the face of the inevitable onslaught on GTA4 advertising with the 360 logo at the end (it will happen) and a price cut. I'd like to get a wider view of the software sales though to see if it's more of a Blu-Ray thing.

Top Bottom