• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sunset Overdrive Trailer

SiRatul

Don't know why but the previous game play video didn't do much for me but this trailer left a really nice impression.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Show Insomniac some love and buy an Xbone!

I'm pretty much in the same boat. This game looks fun as heck, but I'm not buying an overpriced console (IMO, compared to what you get when you buy a PS4 for less money) for a single game. There's unfortunately not much else that really interests me exclusives-wise on the XBO, and for multiplats I have a PS4, so I just can't justify getting one unless it becomes considerably cheaper. So most signs unfortunately point toward me missing out on this game.

Looks like a much more fun to play Dead Rising.

I don't like the art style even though it works for this kind of game/atmosphere. The weapons seem pretty awesome, typical Insomniac.

However it's not my cup of tea I guess. It feels like it fits that Crackdown niche, but I didn't like that game at all either. Seems like a good choice by MS, it fits their portfolio I would say (even though due to last gen I now simply expect all MS "locked down" games to come to other consoles unless MS actually owns the IP. Even then, there's still PC...).

rrc1594

aU5AwHx.gif

LMAO it has begun!

sorry you feel that way, but know we had to partner with the right group that believed in us and the vision of the game, wanted to see that vision came to life, and was ok with us retaining the rights to our creation.

In all of those regards, Microsoft has been a terrific partner in making Sunset Overdrive reality.

That's pretty awesome! Hope to see more of these deals in the future with developers, or then many years down the line get into problems with sequels/remakes/digital distribution/ports/etc.

Unmoses

Looks great, looks like it plays great, and is quite hilarious.. Good work guys, will buy day one for sure!

VLiberty

I showed them lots of love with my cash on PS3 and all I got were mediocre games :(

The Sonic cycle can almost be applied to Insomniac games.

If you think that all of the Insomniac PS3 games are mediocre then I have a hard time believing you're actually a fan.

Then again, that's gaf. One bad game can eclipse all the great things that came before.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If this is a success (don't see how it can't be) I hope MS and Insomniac form an even greater relationship and keep this exclusive, sounds like MS deserve it for supporting them in their vision and Sony couldn't do the same.

Do we know that Sony didn't support their vision, or was MS just more willing to put more support on the table?

I'm pretty much in the same boat. This game looks fun as heck, but I'm not buying an overpriced console (IMO, compared to what you get when you buy a PS4 for less money) for a single game. And there's unfortunately not much else that really interests me exclusives-wise on the XBO. For multiplats I have a PS4. So most signs unfortunately point toward me missing out on this game.

You guys have a lot more willpower than I. No way I'd be able to resist, for example, a Sakaguchi release, even if it were on a platform I didn't yet own. I wouldn't be able to guarantee I can get it that moment it releases, or even that year, but there's no way I would miss out on it entirely if I'm a big fan of a developers work. I just couldn't do it. And, most important, the system won't always be the same price. Prices go down with time.

Looks like a ton of fun. Definitely picking up Infamous vibes in regards to the smoothness of traversal and easy transition to destructive mayhem.

I really like how colorful and fun everything looks as well. Those respawn animations were terrific.

Very happy for XB1 owners. This game looks really, really cool. If this and Quantum Break turn out to be great, and the XB1 drops in price by at least $100, it just might be time for me to join team Xbox.

More thoughts on the trailer:

Love:
- The art style and colors; just gorgeous. Looks next gen and vibrant.
- The unique weapons; classic Insomniac. The weapons look very fun to use.

Don't love as much:
- The traversal; the brief moments of traversal looked kind of slow (especially compared to a game like Infamous. I was a bit surprised at the slower speed of some of the motion)
- It's a little bit too goofy for me; I like the lighter tone, but even the way the trailer was narrated was just so goofy. The characters also seem very goofy.

Excited to see more of:
- Mission design; I need to see what the missions are like and how the game's mechanics are incorporated into objectives and extended gameplay. E3 will be great for this.
- The story. I'm concerned it might be kind of shallow and too goofy for my likings, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

This looks amazing. The last piece of the puzzle will be the actual mission design and side objectives.

If they can nail that, then I see an Xbox One in my future.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit the gameplay looks fucking amazing.

Wow, this has instantly become my most anticipated next-gen game. I love the idea of amps as a utility.

Combine that with the ultra dynamic nature of the game and it's lifespan that they've talked about and there is some real potential here.

SSReborn

Do we know that Sony didn't support their vision, or was MS just more willing to put more support on the table?
I believe the main thing was that they wanted to retain their IP which is why they started to reach out to different publishers in the first place.

I'm glad it has a full blown single player campaign, hopefully of good length. Can't wait to see what multiplayer has in store for us, I presume it will take place in the same open world?

boinx

I remember reading someone saying that this game looks like it would have dubstep as music and suprise suprise there it was.

But anyway this looks pretty cool.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
If you think that all of the Insomniac PS3 games are mediocre then I have a hard time believing you're actually a fan.

Then again, that's gaf. One bad game can eclipse all the great things that came before.

The only bad game was resistance 2, and they fixed that with resistance 3. There's no way their games were mediocre. Fuze doesn't even exist

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

Wasn't the vision as far as I know. Sony would only work with them if they could own the IP which Insomniac didn't want and MS let them keep it.

Silky

Banned
Wait, what? Do you mean Sub-1080? Or is this game literally like 480p or something?

Sub-1080.

But that doesn’t mean Insomniac is having an easier time developing for Xbox One than any other thirdparty. Sunset Overdrive is, for now, another sub-1080p game. “We’re still working on optimising and we’re going to continue to do that,” Price says. “We can get into all the technical stuff later. This is going to be a [question] for every game that comes out. People will be counting pixels. For us, it’s about the vision: you saw it, you played it. It’s about creating a world

I think its a joke... nothing confirmed res/frame rate wise
Oh... well I feel a bit silly now. Thank God though. Hopefully MS will have fixed their upscaler by the time this game releases, you can really tell the difference when you jump between consoles.

It's a shame it isn't 1080p but I guess it's what we have to live with.

Speevy

Banned
I have been secretly begging for a game that has open world rail grinding and combat.

Though I'd really want something like Ninja Gaiden Black with rail grinding.

Either way, this looks amazing. I wish I had an Xbox One just to play this.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I believe the main thing was that they wanted to retain their IP which is why they started to reach out to different publishers in the first place.

We know that Sony wants the rights on the IP, that Microsoft doesn't, and that Insomniac cares a lot for their indipendence

Wasn't the vision as far as I know. Sony would only work with them if they could own the IP which Insomniac didn't want and MS let them keep it.

Ahhhh....makes sense. Is there an article out there that explains it?

Okay, that trailer just sold me on the game. As usual with Insomniac, the weapons are amazing. If they can improve those crappy animations, I'll be super happy.

This game seems like bmore of a system seller to me than Titanfall ever was. Though, a single game is not enough to buy a console for.

Edit: I think the only reason MS let them keep the IP is because they badly wanted an exclusive Insomniac game as like a "Haha, screw you" to Sony.

Well that's definitely a check in the XB1 column. I mean wow that was bloody amazing.

I wasn't expecting to like it that much since I'm more of the super serious TLoU/Halo type of gamer. But wow this really pulled me in closer to an XBO. Still needs a price drop but if they do it I think I might jump on board.

dejan

From Fuse to this, who would have thought. Too early to comment on anything gameplay related, but Sunset Overdrive definitely has the looks. So far so good, Insomniac.

AwShucks

Er...I don't get the love for this. I got an Infamous/Prototype vibe, but more colorful and goofy. Almost felt like I was watching a trailer for a party game or something. And yes I know I haven't controlled it myself but it looked like the controls were sluggish or something.

Top Bottom