• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sunset Overdrive Trailer

Five

Banned
I'm excited to see this trend of Insomniac returning to form (Into the Nexus was great, albeit abbreviated). Too bad I won't get to experience this in the foreseeable future.

Kajiba

aU5AwHx.gif

Lmao perfect gif

Never in a million years would I guess that Insomniac platformer would be up for the System Seller title but lo & behold there it is.

What we still need to know before that happens:

- length of the game
- any shitty DLC/IAP plans
- New Game+ available?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
All of the below games looked awesome in previews. But let's see how many actually lived up to their hype:

Resistance: Fall of Man (Not bad for a launch game)
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Nice visuals, far too short)
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty (Kiss my fucking ass)
Resistance 2 (One of the worst FPS of gen 7)
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (Almost)
Resistance 3 (Welcome to the bargain bins)
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (Eat a dick)
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (Eat a smaller dick)
Fuse (WTF?)
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (There was a game called Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus?)

As a previous PS3 owner, I am just giving Xbox One owners a word of caution. Do not get too hyped. Wait until reviews.

rfz0hP0.gif

Majine

Banned
Yeah, very douche bag like of them to say that... now i hope Sony ends their relationship with them and give Ratchet to someone else who got the chops.

Game looks OK, but i ain't buying an XBO ever.

And honestly i don't see this selling good, it's not dudebro enough. The box art alone (cool as it is) will keep mainstream buyers away.

there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390.gif

Looks terrific. Loved most of Insomniac's efforts to this point, so I have no doubt I would love this game.

Unfortunately, I've backed PS4 this gen. Though money is no object, I simply do not have the time to own and play on two consoles. This is a great exclusive for the Xbox One owners, though.

I'm sure you could do it with practice, or slow down when you hold the aim button (kind of like bullet time) rather than always be slow.

It's kind of hard to answer on the spot as it's a game design question with a ton of solutions.

And I'm sure they've worked through many if not all of the possibilities that fit their game. Look at some of the grinding and how short those lengths of powerlines/telephone cables are and imagine trying to aim on that while also being mindful of your next leap to grind or grab onto. Not a fan of bullet-time as a catch-all when the game should also emphasize the value of picking the right paths to take for the right action, encouraging some preplanning, even if only a few seconds ahead. Otherwise, choice in where and how you travel the levels becomes less important and much less demanding of player skill. Playing and watching are two different things. I remember thinking that Jet Set Radio was too slow on grinding when I watched the first videos made available, too, and then I played it.

link1201

It's crazy that MS are showing this before E3.
I'm assuming they have loads more up their sleeve for the press conference...

That's what I keep thinking. If nothing else this has gotten me more excited about E3 for both Playstation and Xbox.

Another game with extraordinary use of color (FF XIV and Destiny as well) makes me very excited for the games this gen. Hopefully other devs follow suit.

Philippo

I must say i didn't exactly got what the story is about (with english not being my main language and being too focused on gameplay): game's set in 203x and there is this evil company that releases a new drink and what, transforms people into monsters?

Guess pop-in textures are still a thing next gen.

Come on, find something positive to say. Just one thing. Give it a go.

Imagine what that joy could feel like, the lack of cynicism, see it all through a child's eyes, all can be good in the world even if just for just one sentence.

Of course, I jest. But come on.

daman824

He's overreacting, but I do agree that Sony should give Ratchet another dev. Insomniac has treated the IP like crap lately. If they want to move on, they should move on completely and stop relying on the Ratchet clutch
I think that a great way to increase the quality of each ratchet game would be to not have one come out each year by the same developers.

Azlan

I really don't quite get these Infamous comparisons. There are definitely some shared aspects but I think much better comparisons could be made.

This is very much Dead Rising to me (crazy combine-able weapons, hordes of monsters, open world) mixed with something like JSR or Tony Hawk or some such (maneuverability, grinding, wall running, etc.).

I guess people tend to compare to the most recent similarity they can think of.

Gbraga

I'm really excited to hear about the multiplayer aspect of this game, it's giving me Crackdown vibes (which I hated but for some reason really want another one).

Yeah, very douche bag like of them to say that... now i hope Sony ends their relationship with them and give Ratchet to someone else who got the chops.

And honestly i don't see this selling good, it's not dudebro enough. The box art alone (cool as it is) will keep mainstream buyers away.

Ha ha! Wow this is hardcore!

border

Not once have I called myself a fan. I have no idea why you keep saying that :/

I just said that I purchased their games based on how good they looked in previews.

Fool me once - "Shame on you!"

Fool me ten times in a row - "Oh my god why the fuck do I keep doing this?!?"

Prompto

Banned
Looks like a lot of fun. Im really considering getting an Xbox One down the line now if this and Quantum Break end up being good.

Robin64

World looks absolutely beautiful, so what a waste it's being used for A.N.Other shootbang game.

Imagine a Jet Set Radio in this city. Heck, seems to be heavily influenced by JSR with both the look and all the grinding and movement round the city.

Krakn3Dfx

This looks incredible but the line about "this is the game Insomniac's been waiting to make for over 20 years" seems like a huge slap in the face to all their fans on Sony consoles. I mean, I understood when they went multi-platform because they wanted their games to reach more people, but releasing the "game they've been waiting to make all these years" exclusive and during the launch of a console race when install bases are smallest?

What's the thinking Insomniac?

Eh, I've heard this from a few dev studios in regards to their "next gen" titles, starting with the Driveclub announce at the Sony Feb '13 PS4 presser. "The title we've always wanted to work on blah blalh blah," and when Sucker Punch said something along the same lines about Second Son and being able to finally make the game they wanted to make.

I don't think it's a slap in the face to Sony as much as an effort to feed the hype machine and make it sound like this is something beyond your standard video game fare, which it clearly isn't. It's a good looking game that looks like it could be a lot of fun to play, but what we've seen isn't really pushing any envelopes from a gameplay mechanics or graphical standpoint.

That's not a mark against it, plenty of great games arrive on the same rails as their predecessors, and often, when a developer tries to do something new and different, it ends up biting them in the ass, which is why you don't see it happen as much as we'd like.

Not every game is going to be a Demons Souls or a Halo, most games are going to be something familiar, for better or worse, that's generally what sells games.

This looks incredible but the line about "this is the game Insomniac's been waiting to make for over 20 years" seems like a huge slap in the face to all their fans on Sony consoles. I mean, I understood when they went multi-platform because they wanted their games to reach more people, but releasing the "game they've been waiting to make all these years" exclusive and during the launch of a console race when install bases are smallest?

What's the thinking Insomniac?

I think the thinking is make the game you're absolutely best at making, and draw on all of your skill, and history, and talent (who came here because of your history) to do it.

The platform/publisher wasn't really relevant in making the best game we could and drawing on our past. More and more in this industry i think you have to do that every time out.

I get it, guys. It's just a shame. You guys are undoubtedly top notch, and you're gonna be missed on the PS camp.

I'll find a way to play this either way. :D

This sounds so childish, oh my god. Doubt they're scheming from the start of who to side with like some schoolyard team choosing to deliberately piss off fans who just happen to stick to one platform only. They found a publisher willing to make a good deal, simple as.

All of the below games looked awesome in previews. But let's see how many actually lived up to their hype:

Resistance: Fall of Man (Not bad for a launch game)
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Nice visuals, far too short)
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty (Kiss my fucking ass)
Resistance 2 (One of the worst FPS of gen 7)
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (Almost)
Resistance 3 (Welcome to the bargain bins)
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (Eat a dick)
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (Eat a smaller dick)
Fuse (WTF?)
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (There was a game called Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus?)

As a previous PS3 owner, I am just giving Xbox One owners a word of caution. Do not get too hyped. Wait until reviews.

Never looked at it that way before but Insomniac made 10 games last gen?

No wonder the quality bar dropped after just 2 games.

Hopefully they take things slower this go around. And hopefully Ratchet stays away for a year or 5.

artist

Banned
Looks interesting. Last E3, I said this was the only interesting thing that I saw in the Xbox briefing and that hasnt changed. Still this is Insomniac.

border

Come on, find something positive to say. Just one thing. Give it a go.

Imagine what that joy could feel like, the lack of cynicism, see it all through a child's eyes, all can be good in the world even if just for just one sentence.

Of course, I jest. But come on.

My mother tells me that even as a very small child, I would burst into tears if I were to view media content at a resolution lower than 1080P.

Top Bottom