• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
CtKN5oF.jpg

All Manga spoilers go in the Weekly Manga News/Discussion thread

The original: One Piece Thread

Now you may be saying to yourself "But wait grandjedi6! We already have a One Piece thread". True. However the old thread never appears in the search engine, likely because of how old it is (2004, compared to how far the current search engine goes back -- 2006). So instead of constantly going through the current act where no one can find the thread and thus no one posts in it, I decided to simply make a new one.

So, who saw the latest episode?

Firestorm

I am officially caught up on the anime. Episode 371! I went on a One Piece binge and watched 30 episodes in the last week or so =)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I can't wait for someone to actually sub 372. Someone COMPETENT! Why must all One Piece subbers always be so damn slow! I've had to switch groups no less than four times. :[

ALSO: a request for all manga spoilers to be clearly marked, or preferably, not mentioned at all!

Ifrit

Awesome series, I'm a few eps behind so I can't really talk about the latest one but I just wanted to show my support for this thread

Tathanen said:
ALSO: a request for all manga spoilers to be clearly marked, or preferably, not mentioned at all!

also this

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
just want to pay tribute to the greatest adventure ever conceived by man.

I almost said greatest story, but the romantic in me has a feeling that a story with no love in it can't be the greatest! But I can't think of any that I'd pick over it right now.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Firestorm said:
I went K-F to BalF to GeruSama to ADC Elites to Vegapunk to Anime Softsubs to Instantz. So 7 groups =(

Are Anime Softsubs & Instantz decent?
I been waiting months for Vegapunk to pick up their backlog.

kaizoku said:
I almost said greatest story, but the romantic in me has a feeling that a story with no love in it can't be the greatest! But I can't think of any that I'd pick over it right now.

I refuse to believe there won't be some sort of love story along the way. Zoro is probably only 30 volumes or so from realizing it. :lol

Anyway, this is still one of the best series ever made. The manga continues to be brilliant and relatively unpredictable, and the anime continues to be an amazing addition rather than a rote re-telling. As much as I love the books, there are certain episodes that leave an unforgettable mark on how you interpret the arcs (The finale of the Crocodile fight, Nami's cry for help, to name a few.)

You've got to hand it to Oda for blazing his own trail and style, volume after volume.

So where are we in the anime now, anyways?

grandjedi6

Crazymoogle said:
I refuse to believe there won't be some sort of love story along the way. Zoro is probably only 30 volumes or so from realizing it. :lol

Anyway, this is still one of the best series ever made. The manga continues to be brilliant and relatively unpredictable, and the anime continues to be an amazing addition rather than a rote re-telling. As much as I love the books, there are certain episodes that leave an unforgettable mark on how you interpret the arcs (The finale of the Crocodile fight, Nami's cry for help, to name a few.)

You've got to hand it to Oda for blazing his own trail and style, volume after volume.

So where are we in the anime now, anyways?
End of Thriller Bark. The episode finished with Nightmare Moria forming.

Father_Mike said:
I watched the first 14 episodes. Is it always like this?
Depends on what you mean by "this"

Belfast

Wish I could, but I hate waiting on torrents. If there was somewhere to stream the newer episodes, I'd watch 'em. Otherwise, I've just been sticking to the manga.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Firestorm said:
I went K-F to BalF to GeruSama to ADC Elites to Vegapunk to Anime Softsubs to Instantz. So 7 groups =(

Dude I think that's my exact same path. I was only counting the groups after I caught up through K-F, BalF, and GeruSama to actually start downloading weeklies. I'd still love to go back to Vegapunk if they ever got their shit in order and realized that there's no way they'll ever become relevant again unless they put the priority on new episodes again and only worry about their backlog when they have the time to. It's not like anyone has actually waited for their subs of those episodes.

Firestorm

FTWer said:
Are Anime Softsubs & Instantz decent?
I been waiting months for Vegapunk to pick up their backlog.
I waited for months too. They're no BalF by there are a few typos and grammar mistakes. Just take the plunge.

smurfx

get some go again
i saw the latest one piece episode. was good to finally see oz get taken down and will now see the final battle.

Ifrit

I'm cathing up, episode 367 had some pretty nice animation at certain parts. This arc is getting better

knkng

Firestorm said:
I waited for months too. They're no BalF by there are a few typos and grammar mistakes. Just take the plunge.
I'm at the Instantz site and I can't find their backlog. They have the newest releases on the front page, but their One Piece page just has Veoh links. Where the hell are their torrents?

Scribble

This is a bit general, but I think One Piece is fantastic because how creative and inventive the author is, which makes the whole 'shounen' thing bearable for me. The cast is very likeable, too.

Soul Eater (watched a few eps), is potentially as creative as One Piece, which took me by surprise.

Firestorm

Can people not post spoilers until the episode has at least been subbed? =/ Also are links allowed? I'm not sure if posting a link to Instantz' tracker would be allowed... Well, the tokyotosho tracker should have it at least. Not sure if that site still exists though.
grandjedi6 said:
Also, the new opening: a remake of "We Are" -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wblFGSaA9M8
Finally. I hate the current theme song.

Father_Mike said:
I watched the first 14 episodes. Is it always like this?
The first 20 or so episodes are complete, utter shit. The Sanji arc is decent. The Nami arc is pretty awesome and it sort of picks up from there.

grandjedi6

Firestorm said:
Can people not post spoilers until the episode has at least been subbed? =/ Also are links allowed? I'm not sure if posting a link to Instantz' tracker would be allowed... Well, the tokyotosho tracker should have it at least. Not sure if that site still exists though.
I suppose that is only fair. Though subs of some kind tend to have a couple hour turn around these days so I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes.

And as for trackers well... I'm already half expecting Shouta to come in here and slap everyone silly.

Himuro said:
What was in the latest ep? Are they STILL at Thriller Bark?
The latest episode ended with
Moria taking in the 1000 shadows to become Nightmare Moria.
So yeah we're reaching the end of Thriller Bark

Firestorm

Because I watched Episode 345 to 371 in one go, it hasn't seemed that long for me. Which is good. Skypia I found out was around the same length and it felt like FOREVER. Thriller Bark has been no where close to the quality level of Water 7 or Arabasta.

What episode is it on now if Instantz. Nobody's subbing?
Edit: Looks like it's on 373 and I have to switch to "Vegard Aune"? God. One Piece kills fansub groups.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've only watched until Arlong Park but I don't think I could ever catch up with the series. :(

nissin

hey guys, i only have episode 233 and below. Could you guys pm me the where or who the groups are to obtaining the episodes 233+? Thanks.

Firestorm

nissin said:
hey guys, i only have episode 233 and below. Could you guys pm me the where or who the groups are to obtaining the episodes 233+? Thanks.
Kaizoku Fansubs -> ADC Elites -> Vegapunk -> Anime Softsubs -> Instantz.

Ifrit

I just finished watching ep 371, episodes 369 and 370 had some pretty nice animations and wow at
Ace becoming a Shichibukai
, nice twist. Can't wait to see how this arc ends.

grandjedi6

Ifrit said:
I just finished watching ep 371, episodes 369 and 370 had some pretty nice animations and wow at
Ace becoming a Shichibukai
, nice twist. Can't wait to see how this arc ends.
What faulty sub did you watch? :lol
Blackbeard became the new Shickibukai. Ace is still MIA

Ifrit

grandjedi6 said:
What faulty sub did you watch? :lol
Blackbeard became the new Shickibukai. Ace is still MIA

Spanish subs, I'm probably confused when they said the
the new shichibukai was Marshall D. Teach I thought that was Ace because of the D. in the name and because, before visiting Moria, Kuma asked Nami if Ace was Luffy's brother, he never said Ace or Blackbeard specifically (he did say kurohige, if that means blackbeard then I'm definitely mistaken and the subs suck).
But you're probably right since I remember the narrator saying something about
Ace being missing after fighting Blackbeard

grandjedi6

Ifrit said:
Spanish subs, I'm probably confused when they said the
the new shichibukai was Marshall D. Teach I thought that was Ace because of the D. in the name and because, before visiting Moria, Kuma asked Nami if Ace was Luffy's brother, he never said Ace or Blackbeard specifically (he did say kurohige, if that means blackbeard then I'm definitely mistaken and the subs suck).
But you're probably right since I remember the narrator saying something about
Ace being missing after fighting Blackbeard
Marshall D. Teach is Blackbeard's real name. And yes he is a "Will of D", same as Luffy, Ace and Gold Rogers are.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
grandjedi6 said:
Marshall D. Teach is Blackbeard's real name. And yes he is a "Will of D", same as Luffy, Ace and Gold Rogers are.

We still haven't found out what the
"Will of D" is about, and Ace is half brother so they haven't spoke on that either.

Ifrit

grandjedi6 said:

Yeah I looked it up, its definitely
Blackbeard
, my mistake

grandjedi6

So who watched episode 375? :)

Pros
-Great animation
-a 15 second recap. That hasn't happened in YEARS
-great pacing, especially for a 1 chapter episode

Cons
-some of the characters look really shitty in this episode. Usually I don't notice this but it was too obvious this time. Hall of shame includes Robin, a group scene in the middle and Zoro.
-Not really about this episode but there is going to be a 3 week break :( and the preview looks shitty :(

Random
-the maid scene looks like it was ripped out of an entirely different anime. The animation looks so un-One Piece-ish that I think they might have done it on purpose.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The early seasons drawing and animations were clearly better that what they are producing now.

Ferrio

Banned
Question about the current anime arc. I'm guessing Thriller Bark hasn't ended, but is there any end in sight and how soon? (I don't read the manga and I'm quite a few eps behind)

vareon

Ferrio said:
Question about the current anime arc. I'm guessing Thriller Bark hasn't ended, but is there any end in sight and how soon? (I don't read the manga and I'm quite a few eps behind)

It's about to end, if you watched the latest episode.
And I don't really like the new OP :/ probably because the newer characters aren't in there yet and I just don't like the remix.

I'm actually hoping for some Brook-centered filler episodes, kinda like how they did with Robin.

grandjedi6

Ferrio said:
Even if they went at a one chapter per episode pace, the arc would have to be over in 6 episodes.

Twig

Banned
Oh man oh man oh man. One Piece is my favorite. ;-;

I read the manga but I won't say anything because I'm a COOL GUY. How far in the anime are they? Last episode I watched was... ah crap I can't remember. Some icy area with dudes. It was filler, that's all I know. I keep meaning to catch up but I'm easily distracted.

MY FAVORITE shonen manga/anime. It's so good. And it never stops being good. So good. ;-;

grandjedi6

TheOneGuy said:
Oh man oh man oh man. One Piece is my favorite. ;-;

I read the manga but I won't say anything because I'm a COOL GUY. How far in the anime are they? Last episode I watched was... ah crap I can't remember. Some icy area with dudes. It was filler, that's all I know. I keep meaning to catch up but I'm easily distracted.

MY FAVORITE shonen manga/anime. It's so good. And it never stops being good. So good. ;-;
They're finishing up Thriller Bark. Or to be specific Moria's down for the count and Kuma's come out to play. So I'd figure they have about 6 episodes before they either move on or go into filler mode.

Top Bottom