• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation KKK Is Beginning To Unmask Hate Group Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

i have no idea what side of this im on so lemme play devils advocate.

could it be argued that joining the KKK and becoming a prominent member in itself is enough to ensure collateral damage to the people around you?

I'm talking about false positives. Outing those who indeed are not KKK members.

Stuff like this has happened before with internet witch hunts, sometimes to disastrous results like suicide.

213372bu

Banned
i have no idea what side of this im on so lemme play devils advocate.

could it be argued that joining the KKK and becoming a prominent member in itself is enough to ensure collateral damage to the people around you?

Not only could this affect innocent family members directly in the same household, it also can indirectly cause trouble with other family members who no longer associate with them, whether it be by sharing the same name or even just being a close family member on Facebook.

Additionally the collateral damage doesn't even necessarily have to be a part of the family. LOTS of times in doxxing there is misinformation or misattribution of info. This can cause totally unrelated people to be targeted by some basement dweller with a pagebin tab open.

When you magnify this into a 1000 target project, things like this are bound to happen.

Arkeband

Banned
Considering there was a story on the news yesterday of a KKK chapter (alive and kicking) in upstate NY putting a threatening flier on a BLM activist's door, the notion that the KKK is "spent" in America is laughable. They're just more discrete. This is an organization that hides their identities with hoods with eye holes, just because you don't see them riding up and down the streets on horses doesn't mean they're not there.

Ozigizo

This will be like whenever reddit goes on their witch hunts. It will, in all likelihood, ruin innocent people's lives. These groups never fact check before hand.

This kind of action needs to stop.

This doesn't sound like a good idea.

Even if innocent people aren't caught up (they will be), releasing private information of shitty people is still shitty.

Your right, here are the headlines.

MSNBC: Cornyn named member of KKK?

FOX: Left wing liberal hacking group post baseless accusations about conservative senator.

CNN: Anonymous knows where missing Malaysian plane is?

Frith

i wonder how many of the people doxed will be undercover cops

they have to have at least one hanging on in there.

I think public figures like elected officials are fair game in the sense that they would present a public interest, but dumping tons of names like that is pretty dumb and damaging.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
False positives is the only concern I have.

Fire away anon, just triple check your work.

Effect

When the KKK cease to exist then they'll be a spent force or irrelevant. As long as they exist in some fashion I support completely stamping it out. Especially if causes other hate groups to take notice and realize they'll be next.

I do have concerns that innocent people will be caught in this. Especially those that might be truly undercover and get burnt. However I fully support outing the racist cops you know are apart of this or feeling sympathetic toward them and other racist groups. Here's hoping some in Anno are aware of this in their search and won't put those they shouldn't on the line. Do more then a surface search and one pass on people.

Bluth54

While I don't mind legitimate members of the KKK getting outed, I do have a problem with any potential false positives.

If they know politicians involved they need to give the info to journalist to investigate. I'm not ok with just putting names out there even for people I dislike

Avtomat

I want to be okay with this but I can't. *Sighs* the only time in my life I'll ever side with the racists fucks stains of society.
Oh so I'm not the only over who is uncomfortable with this.

If you want to be prejudiced in your own ho.e good luck to you, I just think you're a douche. But I don't think your right to privacy should be violated.

bengraven

"I'm not racist, but it's a shame these people are going to lose their jobs because BlackLivesMatter are such idiots".

- my dad on Facebook. Facebook is really fucked up today.

I'd love to be okay with this but there must be another way. There are risks associated with this like making bad connections (not really concerned though with a detailed paper trail), or there being unintended consequences (very concerned).

But honestly I would like to know if my state politicians are members.

platocplx

welp. just saw some people on the list. coupled with the twitter accounts, and looking at how they tweet and what they tweet seems like its pretty legit.

not sure what the end goal is here

chances are, these people are part of communities that have no fucking problem with their attitudes and beliefs, which are probably incredibly evident anyway if they feel so strongly about them to join the fecking KKK, so broadcasting that fact probably isn't going to be the life-ender Anon thinks it will be for most of these fuckers

so... might as well just dig around for famous names and send them to the Guardian or WaPo or whoever

platocplx

looking some more at this especially the ages of many of these people( in their 50s and 60s) it seems very plausible. coupled with looking at what their affiliations and postings online. I really dont think there is anyone innocent listed. I think it maybe pretty legit.

Kreed

Like others have said, the only concern is "innocent" people possibly getting hurt through internet justice (false KKK accusations, similar names, etc...) which usually happens with these hacking attempts. Otherwise I can't feel much sympathy for an terror group that killed thousands of black people and white people who supported freeing slaves, even if their current members don't do that anymore.

Henkka

Banned
Nope, can't get behind this. Even if they do get the right people. If they're not hurting anyone, let them have their racist field trips and silly titles and hoods. If they are hurting someone, call the authorities. Internet vigilante mob justice is fucking dumb.

daveo42

Banned
Sorry, I can't get behind doxing.
Can't support this. Internet vigilantes have too poor of a track record of incorrectly doxing innocent people. The damage to the innocent would be huge and very difficult to reverse, even with a retraction.

Same.

Cool. Racists don't deserve privacy At all honestly.

That's the start of a very serious slippery slope there. Invasion of privacy should only go out the window if you're doing something illegal under the rule of law.

-sigh-...

I was against the Ashley Madison hack, so it would be bad if I was okay with this. Damn it.

Yeah the AM was the sort of thing that only a 12 year old could justify.
Unless you have proof that someone on your KKK list has acted in a racist way whether legally or illegally, this is just a dumb idea.

FStubbs

I'm more interested in the politicians they claim they found associated with the KKK. The public has a right to know about the affiliations of the representatives they're electing. And if the allegations are untrue, it's easier to set the record straight for someone in the public eye than for a private citizen.

Steve Scalise. Who else?

platocplx

Like others have said, the only concern is "innocent" people possibly getting hurt through internet justice (false KKK accusations, similar names, etc...) which usually happens with these hacking attempts. Otherwise I can't feel much sympathy for an terror group that killed thousands of black people and white people who supported freeing slaves, even if their current members don't do that anymore.

I think their means are more based on political power and systemi/instutionalized ways, its much easier to throw rocks and hide your hands and call people crazy that way vs directly killing people.

platocplx

Same.

That's the start of a very serious slippery slope there. Invasion of privacy should only go out the window if you're doing something illegal under the rule of law.

people love arguing a slippery slope but this is such a cop out. every single time its based on things that are inherently shitty about society and people. Its like people arguing that if you invade the privacy of people who commit horrible acts against children etc. they should be protected. its stupid imo.

daveo42

Banned
people love arguing a slippery slope but this is such a cop out. every single time its based on things that are inherently shitty about society and people. Its like people arguing that if you invade the privacy of people who commit horrible acts against children etc. they should be protected. its stupid imo.

Not what I said at all there m8. You're doing something illegal and there's some form of proof? By golly you're right to privacy is thrown out the window. If any of these KKK members are committing hate crimes, then they should be brought to trial, and not by some 12 y/o vigilantes on the net.

But invading the privacy of those who haven't committed any crimes? Nah, we should be happy that the government is spying on us. It's for our protection. We should all just doxx ourselves because of course we don't have anything to hide right?

As much as racist thoughts and speech are horrible, it is still protected speech in the eyes of the law through the first amendment. We can hate and remove it through the arena of public opinion, but you can't prosecute based on racist speech unless it is to incite violence.

I'm ok with transparency (forced or otherwise) when it comes to membership/involvement in hate groups such as the KKK, but I'd also like to see total transparency on behalf of Anonymous as well. How'd they get the information? What process are they using to vet out false positives? Are they working with any professional organization to officiate this process?

Lots of unknowns here, and as much as I hate to say it I really can't condone the release of the identities without total transparency from Anon. The possibility of innocents being falsely accused is too great a cost in my opinion.

platocplx

Not what I said at all there m8. You're doing something illegal and there's some form of proof? By golly you're right to privacy is thrown out the window. If any of these KKK members are committing hate crimes, then they should be brought to trial, and not by some 12 y/o vigilantes on the net.

But invading the privacy of those who haven't committed any crimes? Nah, we should be happy that the government is spying on us. It's for our protection. We should all just doxx ourselves because of course we don't have anything to hide right?

As much as racist thoughts and speech are horrible, it is still protected speech in the eyes of the law through the first amendment. We can hate and remove it through the arena of public opinion, but you can't prosecute based on racist speech unless it is to incite violence.

how do you know how they arent committing crimes? Maybe now their integrity will need to be scrutinized especially people in positions of power since now their biases are exposed. These people may not hire people based on their color or ethinic background based on these terrible biases, or maybe voting against and/or pushing legislation that is based on that same hatred and maybe there are people who voted these people in who dont have those same views they do have a right to know who they are. I would be HIGHLY upset if i knew someone in my companies upper management was someone like that. there is difference to having the privacy to your own thoughts and hatred etc, but when you are using that to ruin other peoples right to live I strongly believe their right to privacy stops as soon as it has an impact on someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom