• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Game Podcast – Episode #3 (Shawn, N'Gai, Luke, Robert)

Doytch

Liked the creativity conversation. I was born in 88, so I always find myself right between the two different age groups. I grew up with Beast Wars, not the original Transformers, and Power Rangers, not GI Joe.

This put me right in the middle of what you guys were talking about though. I loved toys, and especially Legos, but my parents were refugees from Soviet Czech Republic, so we never had too much money. Essentially, I got one $20-$30 bitchin Lego set a year, which I did all sorts of cool shit with.

When we eventually got a computer, I started learning how to use Photoshop (yaarrrgh) and eventually doing some programming. I do think creativity is being displayed with a digital skill set these days, just look at some of the stuff on deviantart. Admittedly there's a bunch of garbage there, but a lot of those kids can be 10-13 just messing around in 3dsmax or ps. That's impressive, imo.

All that said, I am really disappointed with the lack of reading these days. Hardly any of my friends read, and I've started slipping too. Just isn't enough time in the day with uni, though that's just a bullshit excuse seeing how I spent a bunch of time over the weekend watching baseball/hockey and playing King's Bounty.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Actually the reason I couldn't podcast wasn't Easter. If we recorded on Sunday, then, yeah, I wouldn't have been able to then either (big deal to the missus, celebrating the return of the savior that my people killed.)

I couldn't record with the boys Saturday because it was our 23rd anniversary! Promised to avoid all PC stuff that day. :)

JeffGreen said:
Actually the reason I couldn't podcast wasn't Easter. If we recorded on Sunday, then, yeah, I wouldn't have been able to then either (big deal to the missus, celebrating the return of the savior that my people killed.)

I couldn't record with the boys Saturday because it was our 23rd anniversary! Promised to avoid all PC stuff that day. :)
ahahahahaha

LiK

JeffGreen said:

wow, congrats

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Oh, and I meant to say, I will listen to this today and see how they ever managed to possibly do this podcast without ME. WTF? Strange turn of events for the podcast first known as "The Jeff Green Show Starring Jeff Green."

DangerStepp

JeffGreen said:

Congratulations, Jeff!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ngai, you gotta post that drink recipe!

NYR

N'Gai repping Surrey - Awesome! I spent summer in that area for the first 16 years of my life. I know exactly what he is talking about when it comes to cooking and moms - I had to defend that kind of stuff too, friends were always talking shit about the traditional food my mom made. I got into a fight about it once too. Still remember the Principal dragging my by my collar in the hallways of school, all bloody and whatnot. The other guy was much worse. :D

Great show. The Medusa story is pretty ghastly. Reminded me of the Black Freighter section from Watchmen.

Also, The Walking Dead is awesome. I don't read a ton of comics, but I got into it several months ago after Shawn talked about it on GFW.

Y: The Last Man is pretty good, too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
JeffGreen said:
Oh, and I meant to say, I will listen to this today and see how they ever managed to possibly do this podcast without ME. WTF? Strange turn of events for the podcast first known as "The Jeff Green Show Starring Jeff Green."
that was supposed to be the twist, and now you've ruined it.

well done, jerk.

FartOfWar

Banned
DKehoe said:
Shawn, how much have you followed the Christian Weston Chandler saga?
All of it, and I usually don't refer to it because the fools have gone way too far with it. I had him in mind during the "digital age" talks.

Nizz

Great show, guys! Congrats to Jeff for 23 years with the miss's. ;) That story about the French boatmen was pretty horrific. And they resorted to cannibalism after two days? That's the way I understood it.

My moms (and me sometimes) drinks condensed milk with coffee as a creamer. Good stuff. I'm curious about that Thai tea that tastes like the condensed milk.

And yes, N'Gai needs to post that recipe. :D

I listened to the two I Come to Shanghai songs on the website after Shawn's comment about Robert singing to him, and actually Robert's singing voice sounds a lot like Elvis Costello to me.

Cohsae

Wow just listened to the 2 I Come to Shanghai tracks on the website, pretty damn awesome stuff by Robert and other guy. The years of work certainly shows, looking forward to hearing the whole album.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
When I first started listening to "Pass the Time", I was put off by hearing someone I hear speak so often sing (like I always am in "real life"), but the by the end of it I was totally along for the ride. The style is right up my alley. Well done Robert (and Sam), I'm really looking forward to the album.

It was interesting listening to Shawn compliment Robert on his music. An interesting topic to cover on the show would be how people deal with being asked an opinion on something when personal attachment is involved. As a musician myself, I always find it really awkward when a friend asks me to have a listen to a song from a new band they like, or that they've sung themselves, as I feel like I have to give some sort of authoritative statement on the quality of the song, when I'd much rather just sit back, relax and listen.

I'd imagine it could be the same for you guys when it comes to video games, short stories, articles, or anything else like that. Anything where you are seen to have the authoritative position on the subject matter. I guess as editors you guys have a fair bit of experience with this, and now N'Gai, as a consultant, will basically be doing that for work, so you guys might have some interesting things to say on the matter. Or not, maybe I'm just really tired and over thinking things. :lol

Norfair

Hey Shawn,

Which version of the Wreck of the Medusa book were you reading? There apears to be two of them listed on Amazon.

FartOfWar

Banned
Jonathan Miles. I'm reading these now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618620117/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0802144012/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm almost done with Lehrer's book (Proust was a Neuroscientist was hot), but haven't started Kunstler's, so no recommendation on the latter yet.

I need to scan some key pages from The Female Brain and send them to the crew well in advance of our next taping so that everyone is reading to talk on the topic. I don't recommend that book, but it's a perfect discussion starter.

Can't wait to listen, though the episode will clearly be 20% less awesome without Jeff Green.

These statistics brought to you via
badrockjones' asshole.

I totally agree with what Robert was talking about how kids aren't bored enough and that's why they aren't as creative. I can only speak for myself as someone who is in his 20s, but I know the only times I draw or, back when it came out, designed LittleBigPlanet levels was when I was in some incredibly boring class.

And I think that with games like Halo, or whatever else, there are definetly cases where people make their own fun from the game without really modifying it. I remember the most obtuse gametypes my friend would come up with for Goldeneye. One game would be 3 guys using pistols had to capture one "spy" whose job was to plant mines on certain area of the map. The hunters were not allowed to shoot the spy, only capture him and take him to a specific location (in facility, it was that one room with the armor) and you could only shoot him if he ran away; the spy had to lure the hunters to where the mines were hidden, then run away and hope the hunters fell into the trap while the spy too had to avoid the traps and the, now allowed, gunshots. This was all based on the honor system, so no crazy cardboard shield was needed.

Balb

Linkzg said:
I totally agree with what Robert was talking about how kids aren't bored enough and that's why they aren't as creative. I can only speak for myself as someone who is in his 20s, but I know the only times I draw or, back when it came out, designed LittleBigPlanet levels was when I was in some incredibly boring class.

And I think that with games like Halo, or whatever else, there are definetly cases where people make their own fun from the game without really modifying it. I remember the most obtuse gametypes my friend would come up with for Goldeneye. One game would be 3 guys using pistols had to capture one "spy" whose job was to plant mines on certain area of the map. The hunters were not allowed to shoot the spy, only capture him and take him to a specific location (in facility, it was that one room with the armor) and you could only shoot him if he ran away; the spy had to lure the hunters to where the mines were hidden, then run away and hope the hunters fell into the trap while the spy too had to avoid the traps and the, now allowed, gunshots. This was all based on the honor system, so no crazy cardboard shield was needed.

How do you know that kids aren't creative? Where are you getting this info from?

Balb said:
How do you know that kids aren't creative? Where are you getting this info from?

I said aren't as creative. My generation and the ones before it are clearly superior. I'm pretty sure someone growing up with the wiggles coudn't create the internal combustion engine.
(Just a simple mistake in wording. I meant nothing by it, so don't get offended. Keep up the good work younger generation and pay for my social security in 60 years.)

Loving the cast so far, but I have to say that all the talk about all/most song lyrics being horrible from last ep was far far too jaded and sad for me.

DLing new ep NAO!

Do you guys ever plan on having a Wire discussion? Shawn seemed eager to talk about it way back on GFW Radio, and I would still like to hear his impressions.

Mamesj

Banned
Videogames actually contributed to my enjoyment of my action figures and other toys. They inspired me to come up with ridiculous scenarios for them. I remember imitating Mario, Final Fantasy 1, and Double Dragon with G.I. Joes and He-Man figures. Especially Double Dragon, since all I needed to do was come up with a vehicle for action and "Cobra Commander kidnapped She-Ra!" was good enough. My friends and I would combine collections and create whole worlds on my basement floor with them and try to create narratives out of those set ups. Then mortal kombat came out and that's when we ended up destroying all of them in various horrible ways (melting them with lighters was the best.) I was 12, so I was already in the process of distancing myself from those childish toys and moving on to more mature stuff that inspired creativity....like Guns n' Roses, Led Zeppelin, looking at which girls were developing the fastest, and hating school.

I think videogames today teach kids more than we might think. I just look at my niece and nephews who have the same combinations of games and toys that I had. When they're not playing games, they do the same mysterious, strangely creative kid stuff that all kids do-- creating their own games with their own rules, not unlike the samurai game that one of you was talking about (I'm not sure who is who....) When Wii Sports came out, my nephew got obsessed with coming up with his own sport and Puzzle Quest encouraged him to come up with his own board games. I'm curious to know how many future biologists will attribute their interest in species classification to Pokemon.

Of course, videogames would probably be damaging to children if they became WoW addicts or started playing GTA heavily from age 5 and up and if their parents condoned it without teaching them that there's more to life. My niece and nephews are very limited in how much they can play, like someone else on the show said might be good. But we've already seen the NES, SNES, and PS1 generations grow up with no observable difference in intelligence and creativity that I know of...

and on a related note, maybe one for the Murtaugh list is "thinking the younger generation's entertainment of choice will rot their brains" :lol jk

Kade

Good to see that condensed milk is getting some love. I enjoy a good fruit salad soaked in condensed milk.

Also, the Medusa Shipwreck is one of my favourite historical stories.

sikkinixx

Great show, as per usual. Funny stories, interesting discussions, a good time by all.

Though, I think the time needs to be adjusted so Smith can be fully awake during the show. I think I can count the number of sentences he contributed on my fingers :( N'Gai was great, his more serious, almost scholarly line of discussion helps to balance the unbridled, 10-year excitement level that Shawn displays when rattling off stories (the cannibal ship? lol).

Still... needs Jeff Green :)

voltron

Completely agree with N'Gai about games/visual media taking the place of kids imagination. I notice with myself as I read less and actually visualise things in my mind less.

It does worry me.

Rez said:
When I first started listening to "Pass the Time", I was put off by hearing someone I hear speak so often sing (like I always am in "real life"), but the by the end of it I was totally along for the ride. The style is right up my alley. Well done Robert (and Sam), I'm really looking forward to the album.

It was interesting listening to Shawn compliment Robert on his music. An interesting topic to cover on the show would be how people deal with being asked an opinion on something when personal attachment is involved. As a musician myself, I always find it really awkward when a friend asks me to have a listen to a song from a new band they like, or that they've sung themselves, as I feel like I have to give some sort of authoritative statement on the quality of the song, when I'd much rather just sit back, relax and listen.

I'd imagine it could be the same for you guys when it comes to video games, short stories, articles, or anything else like that. Anything where you are seen to have the authoritative position on the subject matter. I guess as editors you guys have a fair bit of experience with this, and now N'Gai, as a consultant, will basically be doing that for work, so you guys might have some interesting things to say on the matter. Or not, maybe I'm just really tired and over thinking things. :lol

I absolutely hate playing recordings in front of friends (or even a strangers). You sit there all quiet and stare at the person listening (or I usually pace off to the kitchen and shuffle some dishes around), then they have to come up with something to say about it. You make music to connect to people--that's definitely the point--but I'd rather not be anywhere on the premises when that connection occurs (or is attempted).

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Robert Ashley said:
I absolutely hate playing recordings in front of friends (or even a strangers). You sit there all quiet and stare at the person listening (or I usually pace off to the kitchen and shuffle some dishes around), then they have to come up with something to say about it. You make music to connect to people--that's definitely the point--but I'd rather not be anywhere on the premises when that connection occurs (or is attempted).

I know what you mean. I actually had a listening party for an EP I recorded at one point, and it was the most uncomfortable 25 minutes I've ever had. I mean, the whole thing was pretty tongue in cheek - everything from the band's music, lyrics and name to the choice to actually have a listening party - but still. Eurgh.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
N'gai's parents are Guyanese...? MY MIND IS BLOWN! Hearing him talk about curry, roti, regular use of condensed milk, and all that crazy stuff... that's my childhood, man :)

Didn't know much about N'Gai's background, so this was such an awesome surprise! Not too many people I know of in the public eye have origins from there.

voltron

I love roti. When I was living with my Dad in Malaysia (hes British working there) I ate a lot of roti canai (pronounced 'chun-eye'). Its bread shit you rip off and dip in an assortment of different flavoured sauces.

Sounds simple I know but fuck me if it isnt Gods own food (or so I thought at the time - I was 20). So cheap too, from roadside stalls and markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti_canai

edit-

97a74b87505d8596_m.jpg

God im getting hungry just thinking about it.

and another pic:

roti-canai.jpg

fuck it, Im looking a recipe for this shit and making it myself. getting authentic tasting sauces will be the hard part though.

Top Bottom