• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM (US) To Offer Itself On XBLM For 200 Points ($2.50)

Ryan_IGN

I'm both surprised and delighted at the lack of hate in this thread. :D

Anyway, glad to hear most of you guys are optimistic about this. Yes, we'll have exclusive demos attached to OXMD (whether they or timed or not will be sorted out on a case-by-case basis, but odds are they'll be timed exclusives just as they've been on the OXM disc), but we're actually pretty excited about the "magazine" content as well. It's got embedded HD video on every page, themes and gamer pics for download, etc.

In fact, my favorite part of issue #1 is the video version of our July issue's Gears of War "Epic Journey" feature, where we accompanied and filmed the Nightmare Armor Studios guys as they drove to Epic to surprise Mark Rein, CliffyB, and co. with the first replica Gears armor. If/when you download it after it goes up, that feature will be the kind of thing we'll be aiming for on a regular basis.

EDIT: Didn't need to say "HD video" twice in the same sentence <slaps forehead>

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ryan_OXM said:

Anyway, glad to hear most of you guys are optimistic about this. Yes, we'll have exclusive demos attached to OXMD (whether they or timed or not will be sorted out on a case-by-case basis, but odds are they'll be timed exclusives just as they've been on the OXM disc), but we're actually pretty excited about the "magazine" content as well. It's got embedded HD video on every page (in HD), themes and gamer pics for download, etc.

In fact, my favorite part of issue #1 is the video version of our July issue's Gears of War "Epic Journey" feature, where we accompanied and filmed the Nightmare Armor Studios guys as they drove to Epic to surprise Mark Rein, CliffyB, and co. with the first replica Gears armor. If/when you download it after it goes up, that feature will be the kind of thing we'll be aiming for on a regular basis.

sounds great. when is your halo 3 expose?

Will there be ads? That'll be a fun argument. Every digital iteration of a print publication (Marvel's Dot.comics and Zinio) I've seen have had ads. Personally, I don't see why they shouldn't, but I'm sure it'll piss someone off.

GhaleonEB

Ryan_OXM said:

Anyway, glad to hear most of you guys are optimistic about this. Yes, we'll have exclusive demos attached to OXMD (whether they or timed or not will be sorted out on a case-by-case basis, but odds are they'll be timed exclusives just as they've been on the OXM disc), but we're actually pretty excited about the "magazine" content as well. It's got embedded HD video on every page (in HD), themes and gamer pics for download, etc.

Okay, that's good content right there. :)

Ryan_OXM said:

Well, a couple of questions for you Ryan:
- Which is the size (MB) of the magazine?
- Are the demos really inside a single magazine package (i.e. you cannot delete the demo without deleting the magazine, and the demos counts in the size of the magazine).

Reason: you know, most of us are stuck with small 20GB HDDs... I do not have much room on it, and it is becoming a pain to delete stuff to download new demos, etc.

OXM costs 8 or 9 bucks on the stand.

way cheaper

downside- XBL will magically stop getting great demos and OXM wll magically have amazing exclusive demos

cant take digital OXM into the crapper

BenjaminBirdie said:
I kind of agree. I would rather pay 2.50 for a Beautiful Katamari demo than the 10.00 I'll be spending on the way home.

20070718.jpg

I do like OXM, but it would put an end to this phenomenon...

LMAO!! I've have never seen that comic before. :lol

Aaron

I love video content, so if it's good content, I'd pay such a small amount for that alone. The demo would just be icing.

I love the idea of having OXM on the XBLM, but it shouldn't have demos made exclusive permanently to it. Timed exclusives are ok but they should all eventually make it onto XBLM.

I don't see this happening though and I know that I'm not the only one here, I see this becoming something really bad (I said the same thing about micro transactions when they were first unveiled and so far, I have been pretty much proven right save for a few select things)

Ryan_IGN

Chiaroscuro said:
Well, a couple of questions for you Ryan:
- Which is the size (MB) of the magazine?
- Are the demos really inside a single magazine package (i.e. you cannot delete the demo without deleting the magazine, and the demos counts in the size of the magazine).

Reason: you know, most of us are stuck with small 20GB HDDs... I do not have much room on it, and it is becoming a pain to delete stuff to download new demos, etc.

1) The goal is to have each one < 1GB, not including demos.

2) Not sure about whether demos are contained within digital magazine package.

And for BenjaminBirdie: I'm not sure about ads at all, since editorial isn't involved in that side of things. The prototype issue #1 I've seen (of which the content is pretty final, so the Gears video feature thing I mentioned will be in there) didn't have any ads in it, but that's not to say the money guys won't try to squeeze some in there. :D

TDG

Banned
I'm optimistic about this. OXM is a pretty good magazine, I wouldn't mind paying 2.50 for it on XBLM.

Cahill

Banned
Great idea, good pricing... I'm really looking forward to checking it out. Could be a really cool addition to the marketplace.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I support the idea of digital magazines. So, what can I expect from OXM and is it worth it?

Ryan_OXM said:
1) The goal is to have each one < 1GB, not including demos.

2) Not sure about whether demos are contained within digital magazine package.

And for BenjaminBirdie: I'm not sure about ads at all, since editorial isn't involved in that side of things. The prototype issue #1 I've seen (of which the content is pretty final, so the Gears video feature thing I mentioned will be in there) didn't have any ads in it, but that's not to say the money guys won't try to squeeze some in there. :D

1GB... while that sure helps us get great HD content, the decision to buy a monthly digital magazine (assuming that it will be monthly, or at least bimonthly) is now tied to my HDD space. Sorry I can see myself getting one issue to take a look on it, but no more (unless they have astonishing content).

Not OXM fault, but MS decision to have a small HDD. Sure, I need an Elite, but they are not cheap around here...

Chiaroscuro said:
1GB... while that sure helps us get great HD content, the decision to buy a monthly digital magazine (assuming that it will be monthly, or at least bimonthly) is now tied to my HDD space. Sorry I can see myself getting one issue to take a look on it, but no more (unless they have astonishing content).

Not OXM fault, but MS decision to have a small HDD. Sure, I need an Elite, but they are not cheap around here...

The discs offer downloadable content. It might be possible to keep the demo after you delete the rest of the magazine. Maybe.

op_ivy said:
thats awesome. cant wait to dl the inevitable halo 3 cover story. sure beats the 7 or 8 buck price at the newsstand

If you subscribe it's less than a dollar an issue right?

This should be offered for free with Gold members.

BenjaminBirdie said:
The discs offer downloadable content. It might be possible to keep the demo after you delete the rest of the magazine. Maybe.

I was thinking about the opposite: delete the (big) demo after a while and keep the magazine.

But it is becoming really hard to cope with the HDD size these days. At launch it was no problem, I was able to get all the videos and demos. Now, even if I delete stuff there is always something that I should not delete (game content, arcade, videos I bought, etc) and the manageble space is decrising.

This is a really good idea, imo. The last gaming magazine I ever bought or recieved was the last issue of XBN and I really don't have any desire to subscribe or buy any others. But for 2 fitty, I'd be willing to buy an issue of OXM off of Live if it had an interesting story or if they had a demo that I wanted that wasn't going to be available anywhere else. Why not?

I'd try it.

GhaleonEB

KachoMakura said:
If this were a Microsoft-published magazine, I'd agree. But it's done by a seperate publishing company, and they do it for a profit. The price they ask is a fair one. I think it's cool of MS to put it together this way, and the imbedded streaming videos and such are a great touch.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
A2D said:
Does the "OXM" Magazine get demos now that haven't appeared on XBL?
It does. It gets exclusive demos. It has been like this forever, but certain gaming sites are spreading FUD by interpreting these news as if MS was going to start charging for demos.

GhaleonEB said:
If this were a Microsoft-published magazine, I'd agree. But it's done by a seperate publishing company, and they do it for a profit. The price they ask is a fair one. I think it's cool of MS to put it together this way, and the imbedded streaming videos and such are a great touch.
Imagine real time E3 coverage through the OXM portal? I think the possibilities of this are great.

Any plans to offer the mag in the UK as well? Apologise if this has already been asked just read this page.
Would be interested in doing it, never buy our official magazine.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Let me guess, they are going to make demos exclusive to OXM again, and thus, in a roundabout way, finally get people to pay for demos on XBL.

I can't see MS doing this because it would it would make the silver XBL subscription obsolete. If they were to pull this off it would've been better to have tried right from the beginning. This is the sort of crap that turns the faithful 360 to the evil PStree. (jk'in) :lol

steverulez said:
Any plans to offer the mag in the UK as well? Apologise if this has already been asked just read this page.
Would be interested in doing it, never buy our official magazine.

Ops, I forgot I am not in USA. If the content is region-protected (like the videomarketplace) I will not able to get it all (and I will not have the demos if they are exclusive).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
KachoMakura said:
If you subscribe it's less than a dollar an issue right?

but how much is the yearly subscription? honestly, i only buy halo issues of any magazine, so i'd rather pay 2.50 for one, then 20 for 12 with only 1 i care about ;)

GhaleonEB said:

I don't agree. EGM offers a digital version of their magazine for FREE. Even paper mags are pretty much sold at cost. The subscription fees at around a dollar an issue only pay for the postage and the paper the mag is printed on. They make their profits from the ads. This reeks of something someone from MS came up with.

Like I said in the other thread I hope not a single publisher supports this shit. Limiting your audience by charging to get access to your demos is ridiculous.

Ryan_IGN

KachoMakura said:
I don't agree. EGM offers a digital version of their magazine for FREE. Even paper mags are pretty much sold at cost. The subscription fees at around a dollar an issue only pay for the postage and the paper the mag is printed on. They make their profits from the ads. This reeks of something someone from MS came up with.

Like I said in the other thread I hope not a single publisher supports this shit. Limiting your audience by charging to get access to your demos is ridiculous.

Sorry if it hasn't been made clear already, but this isn't going to be a $2.50 PDF viewer where you look at electronic versions of the mag's pages on your HDTV. It has videos, interactive bits, downloads, etc.

So does this mean UKers are screwed when it comes to Katamari? I don't expect to be able to buy a US magazine and they can't make it free for us without US guys making British Live accounts.

Hope this hasn't been covered

Ryan_IGN

TheGreatDave said:
So does this mean UKers are screwed when it comes to Katamari? I don't expect to be able to buy a US magazine and they can't make it free for us without US guys making British Live accounts.

Hope this hasn't been covered

The UK is a whole separate deal as far as OXM goes, so I honestly don't know what the plans are over there. Sorry I don't have more info for you.

Son of a bitch! I just canceled the worthless print version and now I got to pass the damn thing in the hallway on Live. F*** you OXM.

Ryan_OXM said:
Sorry if it hasn't been made clear already, but this isn't going to be a $2.50 PDF viewer where you look at electronic versions of the mag's pages on your HDTV. It has videos, interactive bits, downloads, etc.

Thanks for the response Ryan. I think all that is great! But don't you guys realize this would reach a much larger audience if it was made free? Or even free to Gold Members atleast. You guys would make a killing on advertising! As it is now I doubt many would even bother, and if you start doing the exclusive demo thing I'm sure there would be quite a backlash.

Sean

Banned
Ryan_OXM said:

Anyway, glad to hear most of you guys are optimistic about this. Yes, we'll have exclusive demos attached to OXMD (whether they or timed or not will be sorted out on a case-by-case basis, but odds are they'll be timed exclusives just as they've been on the OXM disc), but we're actually pretty excited about the "magazine" content as well. It's got embedded HD video on every page, themes and gamer pics for download, etc.

I think this is a very cool idea, and $2.50 is a reasonable price.

Just try not to go overboard on the video content.... there is no need to embed a Halo 3 trailer that everyone's seen already for example - all that would do is bloat the download size. Keep it to video reviews/interviews/features only.

The demos should be kept separate too, allow us to download it from the marketplace (from within the magazine). That way download sizes are smaller (and people are more likely to buy multiple issues) and it'll let people delete the demos if they didn't like it without having to delete the entire magazine.

Sho Nuff said:
Why would any developer want to limit their audience with an exclusive demo?

Many reasons. Think of it this way. MotoGP2007 demo was just released. Was there much hype about it? Do many people know the demo is even available? With demos being released at a pretty regular clip now it's easy for the non-hyped demos to be lost in the crowd. Having an exclusive with OXM means they'll be mentioned on the cover of the magazine, and on the front of the demo slip "Exclusive Eternal Sonata demo!!" In that regard it benefits both parties, and the company might see MORE attention from an exclusive demo release than a vanilla one.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i won't pay for demos. and what's the difference between a 'digital magazine' and the all the terabytes of game-related web content i don't want to see? i won't pay for web content either.

but listen to me and my sense of entitlement. as if i have some inalienable right to be marketed to. why can't i behave like a decent american and pay for the privilege

Top Bottom