• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piracy is just a part of life now. Thoughts?

Do you presently (within last 14 days)?

• No

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 55 53.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Allforce

I'm not here to justify it but be straight up, do you do it? I'm 42 next week and still do, since like the late 90s. My kids have grown up and become adults with it and know exactly what it is. I pay for all the normal shit like Netflix/Hulu/Spotify/GamePass, buy plenty of games, and go to the movies but I definitely catch-and-release a ton of media to this day without a second thought. Every friend I have ever had throughout my life is about the same whether it's borrowing a Netflix login, a Kodi Box they bought on Amazon, or torrenting a TV series.

It's absolutely a thing a lot of people still do with regularity, right?

Reminder:

D. Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy in the context of the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software, and livestreams of pirated software play are all strictly prohibited.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Piracy is a must in a world where household favorites are regularly subverted and used to push ideological propaganda.

They know nobody will hand over their cash for a ground-up woke product, so they rely on infecting established properties. I feel like piracy is a way to speak against that, while not depriving yourself of something you love, assuming most of it is still left.

cryptoadam

Banned
Well at first you had to actually wire it to pirate cable. Most likely you needed an inside man who knew how to set up the cable box. Then you had to know someone who could reprogram Hu-Cards which required specific equipment and even soldering knowledge. Next came knowing where to go on the web setting up FTP's or P2P programs. Those turned into knowing the right torrent site and becoming a member of it. And now the technology has evolved to the point where you just have to search google.

Like everything we have seen the democratization of piracy. Its not something now only for the elites or people who know a guy its something that the every man has instant access to.

brap

Banned
I mean you kinda have to if you want to watch or listen to what you want.

Album not on streaming services and super rare? Piracy.
Bands demo leaked on youtube? Piracy.
Want to watch every episode of beaver and buttface? Piracy.

Basically everything is like piracy. If you don't pirate you're probably a liar.

Tesseract

Banned
try not to wherever possible, last resorts for draconian drm and the like

haven't pirated since agent smith put a worm in my brain, most everything above board insofar as movies, shows, games, books

TaySan

Banned
No, i haven't pirated anything since Limewire/Frostwire days as a teen. Now that i have a disposable income i have no need for it. I understand why it happens and i'm not going to get on my high horse about it. All i will say is if you have the means to support your favorite artists please do so.

LoV

Banned
No, i haven't pirated anything since Limewire/Frostwire days as a teen. Now that i have a disposable income i have no need for it. I understand why it happens and i'm not going to get on my high horse about it. All i will say is if you have the means to support your favorite artists please do so.

How old are you?

Tesseract

Banned
just joking 🏴‍☠️

MajorHandsomeCoypu-size_restricted.gif

(am i joking tho)

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I've been torrenting since my AIM days, when my old Dell was set up in my childhood bedroom closet and surrounded by KoRn posters. Piracy is in my blood.

Spotify has me covered for music, but my taste in movies/TV is too weird for me not to resort to piracy. Especially as a kid, cutting my teeth on the most obscure garbage I could find and pretending like I TOTALLY GET IT MAAAAAAN

Same goes for all the softwae I took advantage of during (and after) my film school days.

People never seem to grasp that those who pirate, likely weren't going to buy your stupid ass media on a disc anyhow. If anything, I likely bought more stuff after exposing myself to the torrented version than I would have otherwise.

Anyone opposed to piracy is a douche or a basic ass bitch.

Private servers for life btw.

God Enel

Were you pirating at 12?
Imho it’s okay with twelve. I think that’s like where I started with Kazaa back in the days (at least that’s how I feel. Dunno if Kazaa was released 20years ago) 😄 or was i maybe 14? Dont think though that it has been much later than 14

sol_bad

I put no and generally have not pirated things in my life. Over the past 5 years though I have pirated things here and there as I was living in the Philippines.

For at least a year I was living in a condominium in the Philippines, no streaming services there at the time and the ISP I was with locked their DNS down so I couldn't access Netflix, Amazon or Hulu. Blu rays were super expensive in the Philippines if you could even find them and importing them from America meant you had to take a day off work just to pick up a package because their customs are so shit. That year I did pirate a few things.

I have also downloaded a few Asian horror films that my wife wanted me to see as there were no English releases of them.

Later during my stay in the Philippines they did get streaming services and I moved somewhere else where I could change my DNS. Bought a 4K TV but then moved again to place that only had a 10mbps internet connection. I was subbed to Disney+ but couldn't watch 4K Mandalorian so I downloaded the 4K HDR copies

Since being back in Australia I have stopped pirating again.

nush

Gold Member
For at least a year I was living in a condominium in the Philippines, no streaming services there at the time and the ISP I was with locked their DNS down so I couldn't access Netflix, Amazon or Hulu. Blu rays were super expensive in the Philippines if you could even find them and importing them from America meant you had to take a day off work just to pick up a package because their customs are so shit. That year I did pirate a few things.

You didn't have to though. You could have simply paid for a VPN service. Then your Netflix would have worked.

But here's the thing, it's well documented that making it easier to pay for a product than pirate it will reduce piracy. So had the DNS not been locked down, there would have been no piracy.

GAMETA

Banned
On a serious note though, I don't like piracy, I don't like the shitty workarounds that are necessary to have it, I don't like to crack or to download torrents or whatever, I enjoy having the originals, I like the clean feel it has, I like to pay for good quality, it feels good, it feels deserved, it feels worthy.

But then, on the other side of the spectrum, you get into situations where a client has a file in an specific format but that format is exclusive to a software because the motherfuckers that developed it won't even allow other software to convert it, they run industry monopolies, and to simply convert a file I'd need to subscribe to their $399 month fee... in situations like that, I say "fuck that shit", and I'll download the fucking pirated software and fucking crack it and convert it and say "FUCK YOU, AUTODESK" and immediately uninstall the stupid motherfucking software made by those fucking assholes.

That's when piracy feels good. Then you run Malwarebytes and half the computer has been compromised, but fuck that, justice has been made.

Kadayi

Banned
If I pirate anything its generally TV shows that I just don't have access to because they're not on Netflix/Amazon or available on terrestrial TV. With that said, I don't really watch a lot of TV these days anyways, so it's not a common thing. The last show I pirated was season 2 of What We do in the Shadows , and that was just because I couldn't be fucked to wait for it all to land here on BBC iPlayer, a few weeks later.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I haven’t needed to in a long time since we now get a lot of content made legally available in Australia.

I’m subbed to all the mains, Spotify, Netflix, Disney, Stan and Amazon Prime.

I've been pirating since I was 6 in 1982 with a C90, a double deck cassette recorder and a bag full of my friends speccy games. Music was also acquired the same way back then. More recently I got an R4 cart for my sons DS and put what ever games he wanted on it, and was given a PSP so I soft modded it and downloaded loads of CSOs for it, and I have terabytes of movies that I downloaded over the years.

Nowadays I'm generally kosher, for music I have tidal, for movies and TV I have netflix amazon and Disney+. If a film isn't available as part of my sub then I'll generally rent it from amazon. The only thing I've pirated recently was the film 'imagine me and you' because it wasn't on any of my subs, even to rent.

GV82

I stopped for a while whilst I had a job with a bit of excess cash to spend on hobbies, now I have less spare cash in a different job, things now the last year may be a bit different, I will pay where I can.

All I will say is that now in 2020 the more shows that are banned and edited the more likely I am to put on a eyepatch, because we know this shit is not going to stop and Black people don’t even want this shit, but their voices are being ignored, isn’t that ironic?

Especially when they ban the Fucking golden girls for wearing mud beauty masks, not that I watch the golden girls but if I can help someone I will.

Last edited:

paparazzo

I pirated various skateboarding videos back in the day when I was ~13-15. Still bought some on dvd though. The last time I pirated anything was a TV series like four years ago. Don’t even remember why. But if you’re a grown-ass adult with a job, there’s no excuse for pirating imo.

Given all the subscription services these days I have no need to pirate anything e.g. music, movies, games. Occasionally there is a delay in accessing some content but generally I've found what I'm looking for and discovered things I wasn't aware of and then added them to my purchases or sub favourite feature lists etc. Back in the days of teenager years piracy was something I dabbled in but moved out of pretty quickly, just not worth the risk (virus/trojan etc) and often lesser quality too (music and movies). The near abolishment of region locking content was a factor in my progression to legitimacy too.

Last edited:

Neo_Geo

Banned
Piracy is a must in a world where household favorites are regularly subverted and used to push ideological propaganda.

They know nobody will hand over their cash for a ground-up woke product, so they rely on infecting established properties. I feel like piracy is a way to speak against that, while not depriving yourself of something you love, assuming most of it is still left.

You sound like a triggered snowflake that claims others are triggered snowflakes. Both extremes are pathetically stupid.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I haven't pirated anything for years. I have enough stuff to play, watch and listen to legally on the services I'm subscribed to that I just don't need to.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
I wish there were a Spotify for movies, almost every time I want to watch something it’s not on any of the streaming services I have and even if I subscribed to literally every one I’d still run into that problem. Awful.

JimiNutz

Banned
I used to pirate absolutely everything with the exception of games.

Movies
Music
TV shows
Comics
Books

Now between Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Kindle Unlimited I have access to pretty much everything I need. I can't remember the last time I had to illegally downloaded or stream something as it's quicker and easier for me to just use one of the services that I subscribe to.

YCoCg

I subscribe to multiple streaming services so it has lessened the need to pirate, but if something I want isn't available on them and I can't buy it then you're damn right I'm going to pirate it.

Cato

Banned
Only way to make sure you will still have access to the tv shows you love.

Need I say M.A.S.H and A-Team. There is a lot of "problematic" things that the retard left would get upset about so
it is just a matter of time before these shows are purged from cable, streaming and amazon forever.

Top Bottom