• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place Your Bets: Which perspective will RE2make have?

I want 3rd person over-the-shoulder, but I imagine Capcom will just do classic fixed because the original game was designed this way, meaning less time/effort on the developer's part. 3rd person over-the-shoulder would mean basically re-designing the whole game to fit that perspective, which I can't imagine Capcom would really want to do.

It has to be fixed camera or else the game will be completely different. Take a good look at the maps of RE2.

latest

You can see that the world itself is teeny tiny with lots of corridors. Making that with an over the shoulder camera just would not work, or it would be less fun.

They would then have to re-do the entire freakin' game which seems a bit superfluous for a remake.

ViolentP

It has to be fixed camera or else the game will be completely different. Take a good look at the maps of RE2.

latest

You can see that the world itself is teeny tiny with lots of corridors. Making that with an over the shoulder camera just would not work, or it would be less fun.

They would then have to re-do the entire freakin' game which seems a bit superfluous for a remake.

Only think I see is not a god damned thing.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I feel like they can keep a fixed camera as long as they offer camera-relative movement. I'm sure they will, because they added it to REmake and RE0. It would be interesting if they pre-rendered the backgrounds at 4k. That's a lot of computing power to put into the character and enemy models. Could look real good.

Jawmuncher

Classic is currently winning.
Makes sense since we don't know the extent of budget or goals. Along with people wanting that older style again.

Z3M0G

They should allow you to choose from both and blow everyone's fucking mind.

Fuck balance... just let us play it.

I want it to be classic style. It needs to be classic style.

It won't be classic style. :(

I voted for RE4/5/6 over-the-shoulder style.

jett

D-Member
It's not 1998 either yet here we are with Resident Evil 2 because Capcom think it will sell

They think it will sell because it's titled Resident Evil 2, not because it will have some awfully dated perspective and game mechanics.

It isn't 1987 but we're still getting top-down 2D puzzle brain teasers.

What's your point, exactly?

Not all games age the same.

Remember that this was announced along side news on the success of REmake PS4 and RE0.

But those were ports of really old games, designed during a time where a RE4 didn't exist. Where third-person shooters as we know them didn't exist.

I'm just saying, if this plays like just like RE2, I'll surprised. I I think I'll also have to ignore the game. I tried playing REmake HD some time ago and I just couldn't. I've moved beyond this shit.

ramparter

Banned
Both! It will be completely remade in 3D but you will be able to use either 3rd person perspective or fixed camera. It will be a total game changer that will be reused again in the next RE and from other games too.

jett

D-Member
Classic is currently winning.
Makes sense since we don't know the extent of budget or goals. Along with people wanting that older style again.

It has to be expensive. They can't reuse anything from the original game, they have to redo everything from the ground up.

Plasma

Banned
I want the camera to be like REmake, I fully expect Capcom to fuck it up though and make it over the shoulder.

Jawmuncher

It has to be expensive. They can't reuse anything from the original game, they have to redo everything from the ground up.

I don't disagree. It's part of why I say it'll be over the shoulder. But since we don't know officially I can suspend some disbelief that perhaps it might be a cheaper budget affair

KiNolin

Sorry that I want the GoAT gameplay

RE4 gameplay + RE2 map design = RE6.
And RE6 is the opposite of GoAT.

But those were ports of really old games, designed during a time where a RE4 didn't exist. Where third-person shooters as we know them didn't exist.

RE2 isn't a shooter.

I'm just saying, if this plays like just like RE2, I'll surprised. I I think I'll also have to ignore the game. I tried playing REmake HD some time ago and I just couldn't. I've moved beyond this shit.

Too bad for you. But it sold a shit ton and still had a mid-80s average review score.

Anung

Un Rama
If it isn't fixed camera with tank controls then I'm done.

I'll accept them having an option for those controls added to the HD REmake. Anything other than that though and I'm out.

I seen it being similar to REmake. Updated visuals, optional new control scheme, and some added content.

I actually wouldn't mind a third person view though.

liquidtmd

Banned

You hate how RE2 plays
You hate REMake HD

You want REMake 2 to play entirely differently to RE2 and REMake otherwise you'll ignore it. I mean...to each their own, but I find it a shame that you want such fundamental shifts in a project that is supposed to celebrate RE2 greenlit under the glow of strong REMake sales.

AAK

Just let me control the camera.

Fixed camera would be fine if there was no combat. But because Resident Evil is a shooting game, fixed camera angles suck.

Neff

Couple of things to keep in mind.

As mentioned, the project came to be due to the strong and positive reaction to REmake HD.

Shortly after the RE2 remake was announced, Capcom threw out a variety of social media polls asking people what form they'd like the game to take. An overwhelming majority stated that they wanted fixed cameras like the original.

I'd just like to know if this is actually still in development.

It is, and they said recently that they're going to show it "very soon".

Not all games age the same.

True, but as we keep seeing in many RE threads, REmake has aged exceptionally well.

It will probably have multiple options when it comes to this. First Person, Over-shoulder, and fixed/classic.

You'd have to balance the game entirely different for those. Item view placement, how puzzles may work due to those view points, ease/difficulty of combat, environment size for maneuverability and advantage of perspective...

It's be one thing if combat was always first person or OTS as it can be balanced with that in mind. Multiple perspectives though with the type of game it likely will be makes that impossible.

Classic perspective balanced to modern controls/movement is what I would like to see.

Just let me control the camera.

Fixed camera would be fine if there was no combat. But because Resident Evil is a shooting game, fixed camera angles suck.

That's why enemy placement is dictated by the camera angle, you have slow moving enemies, and there's auto-aim. Outside of whack enemies like the Bandersnatch in Code Veronica, the combat in the classic games was fully designed around the angles. And you got great things like the spider reveal in REmake as you go through the parlor door in the guest house.

collige

Banned
I still maintain that they could have both RE7-style first person as well as the fixed camera angles both work with the same environments. The important thing is that they have to keep the non-tank control options.

AAK

That's why enemy placement is dictated by the camera angle, you have slow moving enemies, and there's auto-aim. Outside of whack enemies like the Bandersnatch in Code Veronica, the combat in the classic games was fully designed around the angles. And you got great things like the spider reveal in REmake as you go through the parlor door in the guest house.

You can still come up with unique ways to do jump scares which don't involve fixed camera angles.

While playing REmake HD trying to get headshots to conserve ammo is one of the most obtuse activities I've ever done in a game post 2005. It's not fun.

EDIT: Also, how can I forget the frustration in trying to use the knife.

eXistor

I'd welcome first person, but it might as well be a completely different game then. I can't imagine it being anything but third person.

Jawmuncher

Couple of things to keep in mind.

As mentioned, the project came to be due to the strong and positive reaction to REmake HD.

Shortly after the RE2 remake was announced, Capcom threw out a variety of social media polls asking people what form they'd like the game to take. An overwhelming majority stated that they wanted fixed cameras like the original.

It is, and they said recently that they're going to show it "very soon".

True, but as we keep seeing in many RE threads, REmake has aged exceptionally well.

I don't remember this at all.
All I remember is them asking if a remake is what fans want

You can still come up with unique ways to do jump scares which don't involve fixed camera angles.

While playing REmake trying to get headshots to conserve ammo is one of the most obtuse activities I've ever done in a game post 2005. It's not fun.

You can come up with new jump scares but the atmosphere cinematic horror camera angles provide is entirely separate and irreplaceable from jump scares. I don't know why you'd struggle with headshots since those are something the game decides for you. All you have to do is hold down the aim button and shoot and weight the risk/reward. Going over the shoulder changes the core gameplay from what is essentially a puzzle, to reflex and aim oriented shooter. It would be a totally different game.

And then all the enemies and level design would need to be totally different enemy types and level design because a shooter where you're fighting slow zombies in tight corridors would not be very fun, and then you end up with something that's not Resident Evil 2.

AAK

You can come up with new jump scares but the atmosphere cinematic horror camera angles provide is entirely separate and irreplaceable from jump scares. I don't know why you'd struggle with headshots since those are something the game decides for you. All you have to do is hold down the aim button and shoot and weight the risk/reward. Going over the shoulder changes the core gameplay from what is essentially a puzzle, to reflex and aim oriented shooter. It would be a totally different game.

And then all the enemies and level design would need to be totally different enemy types and level design because a shooter where you're fighting slow zombies in tight corridors would not be very fun, and then you end up with something that's not Resident Evil 2.

I'm sorry, you need to explain to me how the shooting in RE pre-4 is a "puzzle" rather than a massively inferior means of gunplay compared to the how every action horror game advanced to in the past decade.

You're right it's going to be different, but it's different by improving an archaic system that every game developer abandoned. And I also can't agree with your assertion that the game will be less atmospheric without the fixed camera angles, Dead Space proves that.

And you're right, I don't want to end up Resident Evil 2. I can already go and play that via PS1 classics. I want a remake of Resident Evil 2 done to the standards of today's game design. I don't see anything wrong with making new enemy designs and environments. REmake did that with Crimson Heads and Lisa Trevor.

I'm sorry, you need to explain to me how the shooting in RE pre-4 is a "puzzle" rather than a massively inferior means of gunplay compared to the how every action horror game advanced to in the past decade.

You're right it's going to be different, but it's different by improving an archaic system that every game developer abandoned. And I also can't agree with your assertion that the game will be less atmospheric without the fixed camera angles, Dead Space proves that.

And you're right, I don't want to end up Resident Evil 2. I can already go and play that via PS1 classics. I want a remake of Resident Evil 2 done to the standards of today's game design. I don't see anything wrong with making new enemy designs and environments. REmake did that with Crimson Heads and Lisa Trevor.

Dead Space has an entirely different atmosphere. Having camera angles means the game literally looks like playing a classic horror film and each angle is chosen by the director to show you exactly what they want to deliver a specific mood or effect. As such, the combat is designed to accommodate this and becomes essentially an abstraction of combat, where you don't need to think much about the actual mechanics and instead the developers will balance around resources and routes instead of providing suitably challenging things to aim at. And all of this is reflected in the level design and enemy types as well. I'm not against adding a few new enemy types, but you couldn't have shambling zombies as the base type in an OTS perspective because it wouldn't be fun to fight, whereas it's perfectly balanced enemy to try to avoid in the classic angle scheme. Classic angles also give each room and shot a memorable character which helps with the puzzle like level design to make it so you clearly remember where each room and hallway connect, and make them feel a lot less bland. You can also have much tighter corridors because a third of the screen isn't taken up by your player character.

REmake is still heralded as the best remake of a game ever, and still sold well and was received well over a decade after the game came out. Just because that style of game hasn't been used much anymore doesn't mean it's outdated and that people won't enjoy it.

xuchu

I'm confused. I always assuming Re2make would follow REmake's style. Fixed camera, tank controls and all. I guess nothing is confirmed and they haven't showed it but that's what I want.

When is the timeframe for it come out? 2 years from now?

-MD-

This game got greenlit because REmake HD was successful, not doing it in that style wouldn't even make sense.

Top Bottom