• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play magazine, Feb. issue blurb about new Castlevania game for PSP

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Rumor fits with a blurb from Mark Macdonald from the lastest 1upyours podcast.

Steroyd

"Can you say Dracula X meets Symphony of the Night"

I think i wee'd a little.
icon_redface.gif

Defensor said:
Rondo of Blood was on Turbografix 16 (PC-Engine). Dracula X was on SNES.
Rondo of Blood is the 1st dracula X game

Japanese castlevania at that time was known as akumajo dracula
-Rondo was Akumajou Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (but in japanese)
-The Snes version was actually Akumajou Dracula XX, released in the US as Castlevania: Dracula X
-Symphony of the night is actually Akumajou Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight (but in japanese)
-and thats where i stopped following the naming, but im pretty sure they use castlevania in japan now too...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
what does he mean by Dracula X meets Symphony of the night?

Rondo of Blood getting the metroidvania treatment perhaps...?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Y2Kevbug11 said:
What did he say on 1up yours?

Mark said he was talking with somebody he can't say anything about concerning yearly installments of Castlevania and said he was doing his Shane impression. About at the 30 minute mark.

id be happy if it was an old style Castlevania game in that it had a bunch of levels, but with the fighting/movement speed of SOTN/Metroidvanias.

Matix

Has Iga finally stepped up and demanded his team to get over their PSPhobia, or has Sony's money hats began to kick in (possibly both) ?! Either way, who gives a flying ****. Because finally the PSP is officially being blessed with what it has always been designed for, 2D CASTLEVANIA GOODNESS !! God is good, can I get amen ?!

Steroyd

Oh god finally hopefully the PSP gets realized for it's 2D capabilities if it is 2D that is, it's a key difference between PSP and DS and IMO this is where the PSP is getting raped.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm a little burnt out on metroidvania, but even a metroidvania on something better than ps1-class hardware would be exciting..

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Damn it, if there's really gonna be a PSP Castlevania, that's awesome... but I'm not sure if I can take playing any more on that brutal D-pad...

TreIII

Well, if this is indeed true, I'll bet we'll probably hear something at the Konami Show in Feb.

Still, no "fanboy notions" intended, but I would just be left wondering what would make IGA/Konami pursue this. Didn't some of Capcom's own ventures (the Megaman and Ghoul n Ghosts games) teach a valuable lesson that while perhaps such games may end up looking beautiful on the PSP...they may sell worth crap on it?

And unless CV starts getting into the same club that Metal Gear Solid enjoys, I don't percieve that trend changing...

Fantasmo

Error2k4 said:
what does he mean by Dracula X meets Symphony of the night?

Rondo of Blood getting the metroidvania treatment perhaps...?

The end of Rondo is the beginning of Symphony. It'd be pretty cool if you had to play through Rondo and have it move right into Symphony right from there.

Doubt it though.

Steroyd

<---- as you can see i was hoping this would spurn the 2D era on the PSP but all those LocoRoco's could do was sing their hearts out to but a few people. :'(

Everyone together it's the LocoRoco Sing-a-long

Hope this game is like metroidvania and i hope it sells by the bucketload to start something on the PSP, the system needs more 2D games badly.

It's very hard to find Exit in the shops anywhere.

How can Dracula X arc be a trilogy? At the end of SotN, Dracula is dead for 100 years and doesn't Alucard go to sleep until the Sorrow games?

but if it's a port of Chi no Rondo, AWESOME.

TreIII

_dementia said:
How can Dracula X arc be a trilogy? At the end of SotN, Dracula is dead for 100 years and doesn't Alucard go to sleep until the Sorrow games?

It could end up being written as a trilogy, simply because there is probably one major thing that could be told about Richter's life...."Why did he have to give up the Vampire Killer, any way?". And I'm sure they could just as easily write Shaft and Drac into the mix yet AGAIN, if they so wished. But that would have to definitely be Shaft's last hurrah...

As for Al? That depends. But in any case, he actually should be awake and fell of pep (for him, any way), by 1999. If that's supposed to be the "final conflict" between Belmonts and Dracula, I don't think he'd be missing out on his Pop's last house party where they can all party like it's 1999...because it IS! :lol

farnham

Banned
Rondo of Blood is considered one of the best Castlevania games...

its not metroidvania its hardcore action

i prefer the SNES version though.. its developed by (the future)treasure and all...

250px-Dracula_x_(j)_front.jpg

anyway another port for PSP yay!!!:lol

border

Aren't these the douchebags that promised us Metroid Dread and then absolutely nothing ever surfaced?

GRAIN OF SALT TOTAL

Avalon

farnham said:
Rondo of Blood is considered one of the best Castlevania games...

its not metroidvania its hardcore action

i prefer the SNES version though.. its developed by (the future)treasure and all...

250px-Dracula_x_(j)_front.jpg

anyway another port for PSP yay!!!:lol

Didn't the SNES have some serious downgrades?

Brak

Well the DS is pretty much oversaturated with Castlevania games at this point so it's probably a good idea to give PSP a game. They really shouldn't make another DS game for at least a year and a half.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the SNES version has better graphics I think but a lot of the contents were removed (maria as a playable character, some of the branching levels etc.. etc..) so imo it's inferior to the original version

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
snes version has completely different level design -- it's basically a new game with the same story. and while its color palette is richer, it has a lot less variety and animation than the pce version. i prefer snes drac x to cv4 and bloodlines, but it's clearly inferior to pce dracula x.

farnham

Banned
pancakesandsex said:

-The Snes version was actually Akumajou Dracula XX, released in the US as Castlevania: Dracula X
-Symphony of the night is actually Akumajou Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight (but in japanese)
-and thats where i stopped following the naming, but im pretty sure they use castlevania in japan now too...

isnt symphony of the night more like nocturne under the moon..?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Port? Meh.

drohne said:
snes version has completely different level design -- it's basically a new game with the same story. and while its color palette is richer, it has a lot less variety and animation than the pce version. i prefer snes drac x to cv4 and bloodlines, but it's clearly inferior to pce dracula x.

Agreed, for the most part. But the SNES game was clearly inspired by the PCE version. It wasn't a sequel, but a reinterpretation. SotN, technically, is the sequel to Dracula X (either version).

Though I'd like to add that some of the songs in the SNES version were better too.

Mejilan said:
From a composition standpoint. Clearly not as far as instrumentation is concerned.

I still dunno... felt a lot more impact from Rondo of Blood personally but the music in Dracula X was good too.

Mar

I find it hard to get excited over yet another Castlevania game. As far as I'm concerned they just don't play like the old school ones that I love. Hopefully if it is a new game, it will be classic Castlevania but updated visually ala Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins. That will excite me at least.

MoxManiac

pancakesandsex said:

They used the Castelvania name in japan for awhile, but went back to Dracula due to fan complaints

Sapiens

I just wanted to add that Rondo on PC Engine was amazing back in da day and still holds up well

It will be a true treat for those of you who have yet to play it.

Top Bottom