• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play magazine, Feb. issue blurb about new Castlevania game for PSP

LOCK

Amir0x said:
This "rumour" corresponds nicely to the comment in EGM that "If you like Symphony of the Night, wait to see what's coming in our next issue."

Yeah, and what kills me is that its coming to the PSP. :/

:/

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
**** YES!

A fusion of both Dracula X and Symphony of the night, is both grand and awesome. I hope we get to play with Alucard, Richter, and Maria. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

A collection of straight ports of RoB and SotN would rock. A slightly improved RoB with, I dunno, another few Belmonts thrown in for good measure, would rock. Pretty much anything related to Dracula X #1 or #2 would rock.

If this is just a silly rumour, heads will roll.

Even though I trust Halverson's word about as far as I could throw him, there's a good amount of corroborating evidence on this one, so, if true...

Holy amazing, great news! :D :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oldschoolgamer said:
**** YES!

A fusion of both Dracula X and Symphony of the night, is both grand and awesome. I hope we get to play with Alucard, Richter, and Maria. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

Party at OSG's house!!!

More Belmonts = more hidden extra characters. I don't need a story, just put a Simon (or Leon :D ) in there that plays differently and I'll play it all over again. Even if Maria IS normally playable, it's pretty much tradition to have one or two extra playables now.

Heck, put Alucard in it and screw timeline.

Rondo of Blood is one of the best (if not the best) level based Castlevania games. PSP owner's should be hoping for a port of this game!

Ranger X

"Rondo meets SOTN" ....

Rondo -- because it's gonna be a departure from the Metroidvania.

SOTN -- because this new Castlevania will keep the new controls, orchestrated sound + high res graphics, etc

Voila.

sphinx

the piano man
NESpipecollection.gif

if there was a contest for best avatar, you'd win. It's like a journey to the past. Cool.

Busty

Banned
Though slightly off topic, do we have any idea when Symphony of the night will be on XBLA and if so, will it be exclusive?

I always liked the Castlevania series, people have made noises that it needs to realise it's 3D potential or it will fade away, but I would have thought that the emergence of XBLA, PSN and VC/Wii Ware channel never mind the DS and PSP, would alllow them to continue to make original 2d side scrolling games for years to come.

Imagine an original 2D Castlevania game in 1080p with orchestral score, swoon. :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ranger X said:
"Rondo meets SOTN" ....

SOTN -- because this new Castlevania will keep the new controls, orchestrated sound + high res graphics, etc

Voila.

Hope you're right

mollipen

Segata Sanshiro said:
Even though I trust Halverson's word about as far as I could throw him, there's a good amount of corroborating evidence on this one, so, if true...

The only thing I'm going to say here is that if Dave (or any of us) says something in Play that is said as a fact (versus, say, an opinion, which of course can always be seen in different ways), then he believes what he is saying is true.

Now, of course, with any piece of news, what we were told could be wrong, thus if we then say something that ends up being wrong, that isn't us purposefully saying something that is incorrect. I'm not saying that has anything to do with the topic of this thread - I'm just saying.

mollipen

Soul4ger said:
PLAY make have horrible reviews/previews/content in general, but I've never known them to make up news...

I'd be curious to know what is horrible about the reviews I've done. Give me some examples, and maybe I can do a better job in the future.

Yeah, I've met the dude, he doesn't seem like the sort to intentionally decieve, but his enthusiasm has gotten the better of his judgment many times before. He's the epitomy of the "excited games guy" who is sometimes in such a rush to tell people what he's heard, he forgets to mention whether it was a rumour or not. S'why I always look for a backup on his stuff. Cuz I always want to believe, but experience tells me to be careful.

mollipen

Hellraizah said:
You work for Play? Give us the lowdown, your mag already broke the news anyways.

Yes, I work for Play, and no, I won't give any lowdown. Or, should I say, I can't. Other than what I've already said about the topic, I'm afraid that at this point I know about as much as the rest of you. Sorry.

Brofist

seems most are skimming over the "Can you say Dracula X meets Symphony of the Night" part, so how the hell can it be a direct port of DracX if true.

Avalon

Amir0x said:
CASTLEVANIA SOTN + RONDO (PSP), a single UMD containing both titles with added content!

Problem solved!

Probably the best idea for them too. They can make a lot more then simply having it available on PSN.

Ranger X said:
"Rondo meets SOTN" ....

Voila.

This seems to make the most sense. But why didn't he list this as a new game and just as Dracula X:RoB? Seems to suggest that its going to be a port with the enhanced sprites and animation from SOTN which will surely bring down the value of my RoB PCE disc :(.

Agent X

Gaia Theory said:
Rondo of Blood is one of the best (if not the best) level based Castlevania games. PSP owner's should be hoping for a port of this game!

Here's a PSP owner hoping for it. :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
As long as they keep the metroidvania's on the DS I'm cool with it. I will gladly skip the action ones and there is no way I'm crazy enough to buy a PSP.

Xellos

If it's a brand new game: Great, can't wait
If it's a remake: Good, should be interesting
If it's an emulation/port: I'd rather see that on the download services

castle007

Banned
I never played Rondo of Blood, so it is great news that Konami is finally giving the game another chance.

But on PSP?? :/ Come on. I don't want to buy another handheld

If it is just a port then it should be available on the VC.

Amir0x, your posts are jokes, right???

Rondo of Blood is already playable on PSP :whistle:
Its been a LONG time since I last played it, doesn't seem like the Duo emulator's been updated in over a year.

Cheerilee

farnham said:
Rondo of Blood is considered one of the best Castlevania games...

its not metroidvania its hardcore action

i prefer the SNES version though.. its developed by (the future)treasure and all...

250px-Dracula_x_(j)_front.jpg

anyway another port for PSP yay!!!:lol
Super Castlevania 4 wasn't made by Treasure, if that's what you're referring to. That rumor is one of GAF's pet peeves. It was one of the last games made by Konami before the Treasure split, but the people involved with it largely aren't the ones who broke away.

And Dracula XX (or Castlevania: Dracula X) wasn't made by Treasure either. It was remade for the SNES by KCE Nagoya, the group that later ported SotN to the Saturn, and made Castlevania Legends on the GameBoy. Iga apparently hates everything they ever did, so he smote them from Castlevania history when he came to power (along with the people who made the N64 games, the first GBA game, the unreleased Dreamcast game, and just about anyone else who was willing to work with the franchise).

Ranger X said:
"Rondo meets SOTN" ....

SOTN -- because this new Castlevania will keep the new controls(1), orchestrated sound(2) + high res graphics(3), etc

Voila.
(1) By "new controls", you mean Metroidvania gameplay, right?

(2) Rondo already had that.

(3) Rondo already had that, unless you mean modern high res graphics, in which case I don't think Iga can afford it, unless they drastically cut down on the depth of the game, which might work with a break from the Metroidvania formula, but either way I can't see Capcom wasting precious moneys on new 2D assets for PSP resolution which they'll never be able to re-use.

Put my bet down as either a compilation pack of basic Rondo and SotN ports, or a side-scrolling non-Metroidvania platformer (fits the Rondo part) with RPG elements (SotN) and polygon-based visuals (the only way it'll be allowed on PSP).

I'm hoping for the latter, but they better not botch the gameplay (like so many others who add polygons to 2D gameplay seem to do). And hopefully Iga hires a level designer.

Schafer said:
As long as they keep the metroidvania's on the DS I'm cool with it. I will gladly skip the action ones and there is no way I'm crazy enough to buy a PSP.

Your loss bub. Not on the PSP part, but on the action part. Rondo of Blood is teh hotness.

Oneself

Hellraizah said:
Finally Capcom wakes up and deliver what fans want.

ruby_onix said:
..which might work with a break from the Metroidvania formula, but either way I can't see Capcom wasting precious moneys on new 2D assets for PSP resolution which they'll never be able to re-use.

Capcom FTW!:lol

Top Bottom