• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

I think that with Sony bringing more PS3 games to the PSN store, along with the incoming Dreamcast, Turbografx-16 and Neo Geo games (if the latter two ever get here), on top of the already PSN exclusive and PSOne classics, gives weight to the rumored 250GB and 500GB 32nm(?) PS3s that people were talking about. You're gonna need a lot of storage for these games, 250GB and 500GB are very common on Laptops so their price is probably very competitive and similar to the smaller HDDs. Hopefully out this Fall.

Hopefully they add Cloud Saving to the service so I can sign up.

netguy503

So I thought the NA FAQ for this thing was supposed to be up today? They are based in PST and it's 2:30 PST right now and I think they normally stop posting daily updates around 5 (the end of the work day, I don't think I've seen a new post on that page later than that time). So, when is it supposed to be going up today?

MrPliskin

Banned
DMPrince said:
They tried it with Qore. Provide us with Video Interviews, Exclusive pictures and videos, offer us free games, themes, and Select Betas.

They can promise things and say it's coming just to make sure you subscribe to their service. I won't be fooled again, Grace Chen!

I suppose man. I would consider this more of them expanding the concept of Qore, rather than replacing it. I think this clearly has it's benefits, just not to us "core" gamers right now, since we probably own most of the back catalog anyway. In a few months when newer content comes out, however, that will be the test. If they continue to give out old stuff, then I don't think it'll do well, if they start adding new content to the stream of "free stuff" it'll be good.

Edit: Anyone know what the largest size HDD the PS3 supports is?

Specifying that cross game voice chat is not a part of PSN+ is a good sign, imo. I get the feeling it finally hit Sony there'd be a backlash due to it being included (or maybe the noticed the backlash about the mere rumor of it being included), thus they're waiting to see how PSN+ performs before deciding whether they need to include it as an exclusive feature to get people to hop on board.

If PSN+ does alright without it, they'll hopefully make it free for all.

As the service stands now, discounts on PSN games, free DLC and premium themes/avatars, and exclusive beta access have me heavily considering a subscription. If (when) they announce cloud storage, it's a done deal. I'd probably $50 for that alone.

On the other hand, I think making basic OS features like automatic downloads and cross game voice chat exclusive to the service is BS, though. If anything it annoys me and makes me LESS likely to get the service, and it screws over anybody who doesn't have it.

I like that PSN+ is for the most part content-centric so far.

Carl

Hmm only certain demos (Very old ones at that) can be auto downloaded? That's shit. All new demos should be able to be auto downloaded...Why the fuck would i want my PS3 to turn on and download a 4 month old demo?

DryvBy

NinjaFusion said:
hey sony.... instead of 'enhancing the experience' with a load of shit i don't want....

why not try looking at this once in a while

166znkh.jpg

just a thought

This. Throw away your marketing team and just listen to the people. Be a company that actually, ya know, LISTENS to what people want. You made this site for this purpose and so far it's just another idea that didn't work. (I'm looking at you, non-rumble PS3 controller)

DryvBy2 said:
This. Throw away your marketing team and just listen to the people. Be a company that actually, ya know, LISTENS to what people want. You made this site for this purpose and so far it's just another idea that didn't work. (I'm looking at you, non-rumble PS3 controller)

These things take time. The blog was started just a few months ago.

DryvBy

Lagspike_exe said:
I don't really have patience. Forgive me :p. After I went from 56K to broadband speeds, I expect everything instant.

Redbeard

Banned
PSN+ is absolutely worthless to the user it is catering to.

If I'm a hardcore consumer, I've already got the content they're offering on the store, and I turn on my PS3 regularly enough to get the updates I need.

This is complete fail.

Give me cross game chat for free goddammit. Why the fuck are they holding back a feature that's worked for a year. This is ridiculous bullshit.

peetfeet

I for one won't be touching this in it's present state,nothing there that i see benefits me (the only things that interested me on the 1st 2 months i already have and i dont give a monkeys about auto updates if it only checks for updates every 48 hours, whats the point if you play daily?).

Having said that.... EVERYONE else buy it! Less chance of Sony adding XGameChat into the 'Plus' equation if it sells enough without :D

makingmusic476 said:
On the other hand, I think making basic OS features like automatic downloads and cross game voice chat exclusive to the service is BS, though. If anything it annoys me and makes me LESS likely to get the service, and it screws over anybody who doesn't have it.

I like that PSN+ is for the most part content-centric so far.

I expect most OS features going forward to be PSN+ only to make the service MORE attractive. Cross game voice chat seems to be going to all PSN users, which is smart, but going forward we should not expect many free OS features anymore. Probably only PS2 Software Emulation (so they can then sell those PSTwo classics to everybody).

I know it's not the best analogy but I compare it to themes and avatars, we have plenty of free ones and every now and again we might get a free one in a weekly update, but more often than not the new avatars and themes are premium. Free users should not be able to complain, they're already giving plenty of stuff free including the most important one, so all the extra stuff they add will be for people that would be willing to pay.

EDIT:

Looking at this, it looks closest to Option 2 doesn't it?

sony-sony-sony.jpg

Integra

Neo Member
honestly, I like this type of option. I also like the fact they're still keeping the PSN free. so I honestly don't see why the fuck anyone's complaining about it. there's still the choice, and also still be able to play online period instead of having to pay to have your console play online or not. the way Microsoft has their setup, I don't like at all. I think something like that should be an option, especially with the many times I've crashed with their crap connection. never once have I had that problem with the PSN. this type of setup with Playstation Plus, I think thats how it should be: additional perks thrown in (probably gonna progress more as time goes on with this service), but you still get to play online for free.

so when it comes out.... I'm taking full advantage of it :D

Cruzader

Banned
SolidusDave said:
though you may not know:

- LBP is PAL-only
- extra three months + a year of Qore are US-only

each offer only available if you subscribe for year during July.

the point is, it's not a bad offer only because YOU already bought the content YOU would be interested in...

I hope year 2 Qore members get a discount for PSN+ but I guess that would defeat the purpose to sign up for Qore itself. But I think Qore will just get added as part of the PSN+ package and wont be sold by itself any more.(depending on how it did the first 2 years)

tirminyl

peetfeet said:
I for one won't be touching this in it's present state,nothing there that i see benefits me (the only things that interested me on the 1st 2 months i already have and i dont give a monkeys about auto updates if it only checks for updates every 48 hours, whats the point if you play daily?).

If I play daily and I schedule my PS3 to check for updates ever 48 hours, I can guarantee to you that I did not just play 10+ games in that period. I most likely played 2-3. Probably 1 if I am working my way through a retail game. That means I will have 7-9 games patched and ready for me after my first scheduled run. On my next scheduled run, I would get 10 more games patched, and so on and so forth.

This would be great if your friends had this as well so if you brought over a multiplayer game like LBP, you don't have to worry about the game being updated if they have played it at some point before.

If it doesn't work how its been described, then that is a bummer.

Either way, even though I play a lot on the system, I rent a lot of games, and there are plenty of PSN games I have not purchased. My subscription will give me a resub for Qore that is running out as well as access to games that I haven't played and 3 free months, which is great for me.

tirminyl

Baki said:
Can we keep DLC after subscription expires? (e.g. Killzone 2 DLC).
TheHakku said:
Not unless you immediately renew. Pretty awesome, huh?
On the Europe blog it says this

Each month there will be 2 dynamic themes, 2 premium avatars and premium game elements/add-ons for you to download and many of these will be exclusive to members only. These are yours to keep forever once you have downloaded them.

The bolded to me would mean DLC, so they are saying it is yours to keep. So, Europe is offering "KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC" and "Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack" as premium game elements. I never bought the KZ2 DLC so I would get that as well as the Motorstorm PR Adrenaline I never purchased.

AwRy108

Lagspike_exe said:

..what does your answer have to do with SONY listening to its fans? The PS3 user-base has been extremely vocal about each of those 3 items for quite some time.

SONY just created that portion of the PS.blog to keep the "whiners" out of the comment section--they had no intentions of actually listening to people's suggestions.

yencid

AwRy108 said:
..what does your answer have to do with SONY listening to its fans? The PS3 user-base has been extremely vocal about each of those 3 items for quite some time.

SONY just created that portion of the PS.blog to keep the "whiners" out of the comment section--they had no intentions of actually listening to people's suggestions.
you know i dont know if you are right or not... but if they do bring us this features i hope get prepared to eat crow.

tirminyl

AwRy108 said:

Yes, but it also gives the community a place to suggest and vote on things they feel they need or want. Sony will take this and consider it for implementation. If it is a go then they will add it to their project priority list. I do the same thing at work.

AwRy108

tirminyl said:
Yes, but it also gives the community a place to suggest and vote on things they feel they need or want. Sony will take this and consider it for implementation. If it is a go then they will add it to their project priority list. I do the same thing at work.

Have you looked at the list of items on this PS.Blog Share? About 95% of them are valid, excellent ideas, but SONY hasn't implemented a single one of them. If this was how our "to-do" lists functioned at work, we'd all be shit-canned for not getting anything done!

I'd be glad to eat my words, but, as of now, SONY's track record of implementing user suggestions is so poor that I'm pretty sure I'll be going to bed hungry.

yencid

AwRy108 said:
Have you looked at the list of items on this PS.Blog Share? About 95% of them are valid, excellent ideas, but SONY hasn't implemented a single one of them. If this was how our "to-do" lists functioned at work, we'd all be shit-canned for not getting anything done!

I'd be glad to eat my words, but, as of now, SONY's track record of implementing user suggestions is so poor that I'm pretty sure I'll be going to bed hungry.
EXCEPT that YOUR to do list would have a time frame

this is theirs and theirs has a different time frame.

Yeef

AwRy108 said:

I don't think that's true. I do think there's a lot that they can be doing that they haven't yet, but to say they haven't done anything is just wrong. Also, keep in mind that the blog is run by SCEA. I'm not sure that they have a direct hand in actually developing the firmware.

Just looking at the top 10 on the share site:

1. Cross-game Chat - We know this is coming, but not when or if it'll cost us. It's apparently been available in the debug units for months.

2. PS2 Emulation - May not be possible. The 'collection' releases make me think that it's not and those are being offered up as a compromise.

3. Auto-syncing trophies, 4. Arabic language support - Both of these seem like they'd be trivial to implement. The arabic support could be an issue with the way the XMB handles unicode, but that seems unlikely.

5. Team ICO Collection - More than likely coming, but won't be announced until closer to Last Guardian's release. The God of War collection was announced nearing GoW3's release and now the Sly Collection was announced nearing InFamous 2's release.

6. MKV Support - No reason why this shouldn't be supported. It'd be trivial to add.

7. New Avatars - They've been adding avatars; they're just monetized. There's little chance that they'll add many new free avatars or let you use trophy icons since they'd just be denying themselves revenue.

8. PS2 Downloadle Games on PSN - Again, straight emulation might not be possible. It looks like going forward there will be PS3 games on demand so there's a chance that the different collection sets might end up available for download.

9. 'Smart' Guide Button - This one should be relatively simple, but given how long it takes the XMB to load in some games it might not be practical. Loading only the message and not the entire XMB would speed things up, but might not be possible if the message interface is somehow dependent on the XMB under the hood.

10. Separate PSN logins for each player - This is already possible, but, as with a lot of features, is entirely up to the developer of an individual game to implement. Would it be nice to see developers using this and other features universally? Yes. I can't see Sony requiring any of it until the next generation rolls around though.

yencid

wait now that i think about it.

if they can have a Games on demand service they can add the HD collections on there, much better then buying the disc!

Month 1: June 29th – August 3rd
Intro offer: LBP (standard edition)
PSN PS3: Wipeout HD
minis: Field Runners, Age of Zombies
PSone: Destruction Derby
Full Game Trial: Shatter, Savage Moon
Discounts: LBP God of War Pack – 50%, LBP: LocoRoco costume pack – 50%, Gravity Crash – 20%, Fat Princess DLC – 20%
Premium Game Element: KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC
Push demo: ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain
Dynamic Themes: LBP Theme, SCEE produced: PlayStation “Game Is Just The Start” Dynamic Theme
2 x Fat Princess Premium Avatars

Month 2: August 4th – September 1st
PSN PS3: Zen Pinball
minis: Blast-Off, Alien Zombie Death
PSone: Medievil
Full Game Trial: inFamous, Mushroom Wars
Discounts: Zen Pinball Earth Defence Table – 20%, Warhawk Triple Combo Pack – 50%, Super Stardust HD – 20%, WipeOutHD Fury – 20%
Premium Game Elements: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack
Push Demo: Flower, Pixel Junk Shooter
Themes: “SCEE produced: PlayStation Plus Dynamic Theme, Heavy Rain Crime Scene Theme
2 x Heavy Rain Avatars (Bird and Butterfly)

I was most likely going to get this anyway but this convinces me, great list of stuff for the first 2 months.

As for the haters, i can understand if you already have this stuff but i bet if you were to put this list up before PSN+ was officialy announced no one would have believed Sony would be giving this much away.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Anticitizen One said:
So wait the ps1 and psn games that you get free with the service you get to keep forever or you loose when you cancel the service?

Everything you get as a PSN+ subscriber is for you to keep forever except full games you get for "free", which are those you mentioned (and the 1 Minis).

You lose them when you cancel (they don't "auto-delete". They stay in the HDD but can't be launched)
You get them back when you re-subscribe.

Dirtyshubb said:
I was most likely going to get this anyway but this convinces me, great list of stuff for the first 2 months.

As for the haters, i can understand if you already have this stuff but i bet if you were to put this list up before PSN+ was officialy announced no one would have believed Sony would be giving this much away.

They're not giving it away though as if you cancel your subscription you lose most of the stuff worth a damn. Its just like Onlive really, once you get balls deep you're pretty much trapped into continuously coughing up that monthly fee. If all that content was yours to keep, then yes it'd be a heck of a deal but the punishment for giving up your subscription is just too damn harsh and I don't think there's many that want to commit to paying £40 a year forever more when no one has a clue if Sony will keep the quality of their offerings quite so high.

brain_stew said:
They're not giving it away though as if you cancel your subscription you lose most of the stuff worth a damn. Its just like Onlive really, once you get balls deep you're pretty much trapped into continuously coughing up that monthly fee. If all that content was yours to keep, then yes it'd be a heck of a deal but the punishment for giving up your subscription is just too damn harsh and I don't think there's many that want to commit to paying £40 a year forever more when no one has a clue if Sony will keep the quality of their offerings quite so high.

Yeah, but you regain it when you resubscribe. So, if you cancel and then a year after want to replay some games, you can always buy the cheapest subscription option (is it a month or 3 months?), replay those old games and even get some additional content.

TTP said:
Everything you get as a PSN+ subscriber is for you to keep forever except full games you get for "free", which are those you mentioned (and the 1 Minis).

You lose them when you cancel (they don't "auto-delete". They stay in the HDD but can't be launched)
You get them back when you re-subscribe.

Well, that's definitely better, but boy is this thing confusing, They really need to make this more clear.

So Minis + PS1 games + DLC content + introductory game offer (LBP) is all free forever then?

Whereabouts do Sony confirm this?

Well fuck it, that's actually pretty damn nice considering you can score cheapo PSN cards quite easily, so you can get that down to ~£30. If I still had my PS3 I'd go for the years subscription as LBP + all those minis and PS1 games (which are awesome PSP fodder) can comfortably justify that cost for me. Getting to play stuff like Wipeout HD and presumably Warhawk, Motorstorm and others throughout that year is a nice sweetener to the deal but nothing more.

Edit: Oh, I think I misinterpreted what you were saying, by "full" games you don't just mean PS3 titles but also PS1 games and Minis? I take all that back then, its a shitty deal with the consequences for cancelling your subscription set way too high.

They really should have it setup how I said, taking back full PS3 titles that are sold as BD is perfectly understandable but little cheapo Minis and PS1 titles as well? That just comes off as overly stingy and completely kills any enthusiasm I could ever have for the service.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
brain_stew said:
So Minis + PS1 + DLC content + introductory game offer (LBP) is all free forever then?

No. Only the bolded is.

I said:

TTP said:
No. Only the bolded is.

I said:

Yeah, like I said I thought by "full" games you didn't mean little el cheapo £3 downloads like PS1 games and Minis titles. They shouldn't be billed as "full" PS3 games in my book. They're a completely different category, just like DLC. Only letting users rent that stuff is hardly an incentive to subscribe, giving them those games for free? Now that's a totlaly different proposition.

The deal looks pretty shitty as it is, once they take out that free copy of LBP its looking like a horrifically bad deal.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
brain_stew said:
Yeah, like I said I thought by "full" games you didn't mean little el cheapo £3 downloads like PS1 games and Minis titles. They shouldn't be billed as "full" PS3 games in my book. They're a completely different category, just like DLC.

Oh well, they are still full games tho. Small or not. :p

You are forgetting PSN games, which include "big" games as well.

Anyway, it's very simple:

General rule: GAMES (big or small) you get for "FREE" need subscription to be played - Everything else doesn't.

- For the first month you get WipEout HD for "free". If you unsubscribe, you can't play it anymore.
- Next month it's gonna be Zen Pinball. If you unsubscribe, you can't play it anymore.

Exception: The FREE copy of LBP you get by subscribing before August 3rd is for you to keep forever. That's just a promotional offering so the "Subscribe-to-play" rule doesn't apply.

Digital copies of retail games such as Infamous are not given for free. They can only be purchases both by regular and PSN+ members and hence you keep them forever (they don't take those back). The only extra thing PSN+ members get relative to these digital copies of retail games (as well as to some smaller selected PSN titles) is the ability to play them for an hour for free.

mh so you can keep the DLC, too? Nice, though I already have both. Maps/Tracks only, but they are really good ones, enjoy.

so for PAL this means:
(I added the current PS store € prices behind them, i.e. what you would have to pay for it w/o PSN+)

You own it if you subscribe in the first month:
  • PS3 full downloadable game: LittleBigPlannet (standard edition) (?.??€)

Month 1: June 29th – August 3rd

You (and other accounts on your PS3/five more PS3s) can ONLY play them while your subscription is active:
  • PSN PS3: Wipeout HD (17.99€)
  • minis (PS3&PSP): Field Runners (4.99€)
  • minis (PS3&PSP): Age of Zombies (4.99€)
  • PSone (PS3&PSP): Destruction Derby (4.99€)

You own it if you choose to buy it:
  • LBP PS3 DLC: God of War Pack – 50% (1.99€ -> 1.00€)
  • LBP PS3 DLC: LocoRoco costume pack – 50% (2.99€ -> 1.50€)
  • PSN PS3: Gravity Crash – 20% (7.99€ -> 6.39€)
  • Fat Princess DLC – 20% (?.??€- > ?.??€)

You own it:
  • KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC (5.99€)
  • LBP dynamic Theme (1.99€)
  • SCEE produced: PlayStation “Game Is Just The Start” Dynamic Theme
  • 2 x Fat Princess Premium Avatars (?.??€, probably 2x 0.25€)

Month 2: August 4th – September 1st

You (and other accounts on your PS3/five more PS3s) can ONLY play them while your subscription is active:
  • PSN PS3: Zen Pinball (7.99€)
  • minis (PS3&PSP): Blast-Off (2.99€)
  • minis (PS3&PSP): Alien Zombie Death (2.99€)
  • PSone (PS3&PSP): Medievil (4.99€)

You own it if you choose to buy it:
  • PSN DLC: Discounts: Zen Pinball Earth Defence Table – 20% (1.99€ -> 1.59€)
  • PS3/PSN DLC: Warhawk Triple Combo Pack – 50% (11.99€ -> 6.00€)
  • PSN PS3: Super Stardust HD – 20% (7.99€ -> 6.39€)
  • PS3/PSN DLC: WipeOutHD Fury – 20% (9.99€ -> 7.99€)

You own it:
  • PS3 DLC: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack (5.99€)
  • “SCEE produced: PlayStation Plus Dynamic Theme
  • Heavy Rain Crime Scene dynamic Theme (1.99€)
  • 2 x Heavy Rain Avatars (Bird and Butterfly) (2x 0.25€)

note: avatars are bound to the account, themes and DLC (besides the "Get Now" ones) can be shared with other accounts on your PS3 (or up to 5 PS3s)

Yeef said:
6. MKV Support - No reason why this shouldn't be supported. It'd be trivial to add.

This would be great but i think Sony has not added this due to .mkv being the Bluray-rip format of choice ;D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
UnluckyKate said:
what the difference between push demo and full game trial ?

Full game trial is the full game playable for an hour. You literally download the whole thing but can only play it for an hour. You can unlock trophies as well, albeit those will be actually awarded once you purchase it.

Push demos are just regular, limited demos you can play for as long as you want. They are already available on the Store for you to download. No trophies unlocking upon purchase.

The reason they are called "push" is because those are the demos your PS3 will automatically download if you set the appropriate feature on in the system settings (PS3 turns on automatically and downloads those "push demos")

TTP said:
Full game trial is the full game playable for an hour.

Push demos are just regular, limited demos you can play for as long as you want. They are already available on the Store for u to download. The reason they are called "push" here is because those are the demos your PS3 will automatically download if you set the appropriate feature on in the system settings (PS3 turns on automatically and downloads those "push demos")

hum, thx !

TTP said:
Full game trial is the full game playable for an hour.

Push demos are just regular, limited demos you can play for as long as you want. They are already available on the Store for u to download. The reason they are called "push" here is because those are the demos your PS3 will automatically download if you set the appropriate feature on in the system settings (PS3 turns on automatically and downloads those "push demos")

though this is more like advertising and not a feature... Maybe publishers can pay Sony good money to force people to download their demos :lol

btw. if the US content is very different, someone with PSN+ from PAL sharing with someone with PSN+ from the US (or just using an US account) would get even more content for one subscription fee, minus avatars and possible Home stuff.

Toki767

I think I might wait till just the end of first month period to subscribe since I have everything I want from that list already if the US is getting the same.

That and since we get 3 months free for our year subscription, I figure it'll be better to start a subscription on August 1st or somewhere around there instead of the end of June to maximize the 3 months free. :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidusDave said:
though this is more like advertising and not a feature... Maybe publishers can pay Sony good money to force people to download their demos :lol

Well, it's a feature based advertising :p

man, Sony has really made this confusing in terms of what everything means, and also what we keep and what we don't. (ex: WTF is a "push demo")

Hopefully they will have a blog post or explanation on the store of what everything means, because I want to ge this (if for nothing more than to have LBP on my hard drive) but I am not quite sure exactly what all I will be buying.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MikeE21286 said:
man, Sony has really made this confusing in terms of what everything means, and also what we keep and what we don't. (ex: WTF is a "push demo")

Hopefully they will have a blog post or explanation on the store of what everything means, because I want to ge this (if for nothing more than to have LBP on my hard drive) but I am not quite sure exactly what all I will be buying.

No offense but it's not that difficult to understand if you actually take your time to do so. Did you actually read the blog post? It's pretty clear to me. Sure it's not a simple "Do this one thing to get that one thing" kind of system, but the overall logic of it all is very easy to understand.

web01

wow this seems extremely crap, if you have been a long term ps3 user chances are you have most of these games and content already.

Top Bottom