• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

TTP said:
No offense but it's not that difficult to understand if you actually take your time to do so. Did you actually read the blog post? It's pretty clear to me. Sure it's not a simple "Do this one thing to get that one thing" kind of system, but the overall logic of it all is very easy to understand.

Nope, didn't know one even existed yet :p. I'll have to check it out after work. Still though, I'm thinking lots of people won't take the time (just like I hadn't)

Dabanton

Noisepurge said:
This would be great but i think Sony has not added this due to .mkv being the Bluray-rip format of choice ;D

Pretty much they'd have to be dumb as shit to allow .MKV's to play on a PS3. :lol

Also some of that content looks pretty bad by that i mean it seems thrown together i already have Wipeout HD which looks the best of what's on offer.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/23/playstation-plus-explained/

I guess it must have been posted already, but it looks like more full PS3 games are coming to the PSN store on a regular basis, at least one per month. The first ones are LittleBigPlanet and inFamous indeed, which can be bought by non-PS+ users as well, even though they cannot try them for an hour like PS+ subscribers.

LittleBigPlanet will be free for EU subscribers who choose the 1 year subscription, and they can keep the game after that period.

I'm wondering if this will help ease the current costs for developers to put their content on PSN. I assume Sony's still charging content providers for the amount of download bandwidth their stuff is using up. If PS+ helps reduce or cut that cost for developers (hopefully making it more appealing for them to provide stuff for us) then that might be a positive (pun!) for me to actually pony up for this.

Still blown away about the whole "we'll take our free gifts back" part, when your subscription lapses. It's like this weird kind of give and take that is uniquely Sony.

angelfly

Has there been any news on Plus coming to Japan? The features like title demos and PS1 games are a little more interesting when applied to imports.

Mako_Drug

Winterblink said:
I'm wondering if this will help ease the current costs for developers to put their content on PSN. I assume Sony's still charging content providers for the amount of download bandwidth their stuff is using up. If PS+ helps reduce or cut that cost for developers (hopefully making it more appealing for them to provide stuff for us) then that might be a positive (pun!) for me to actually pony up for this.

Still blown away about the whole "we'll take our free gifts back" part, when your subscription lapses. It's like this weird kind of give and take that is uniquely Sony.

Why would they let you pay $50 for content estimated at over $200 and let you own it forever? That...that doesn't make sense.

Its not like you have to do it, I mean its all laid out for you. The terms and conditions are clear, you know the type of content you'll be getting and it either appeals to you or it doesn't.

web01

Looking at this more it seems like nothing more than a con to sell DLC packs.

Getting wipeout HD free is alright but without the DLC its useless online. Zen pinball is also very DLC heavy with a ton of tables to buy.

In future months I expect they will probably put up the basic release of games like Pain and Super Star Dust HD that also have tons of DLC to buy.

Once people subscribe and buy DLC for games they are basically locked in unless they want to waste that money.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What about people who already have said game they will give with subscription?

I have WipeOut (Day 1), say I get PSN+, they offer me WO (as a yearly member), lets say I don't resubscribe, WTF happens then?

I 'm not trying to be gloom and doom, but Sony really fucking hurts itself by not being definitely clear

They really need to come out and be like Oi, Fella!, want PSN+ this is what it offers, and in case of these scenarios here is what will happen

So simple, but no lets be vague, beat around the bush, give information sporadically through different news services be it leaks, rumors, etc.

aristotle

web01 said:
Looking at this more it seems like nothing more than a con to sell DLC packs.

Getting wipeout HD free is alright but without the DLC its useless online. Zen pinball is also very DLC heavy with a ton of tables to buy.

In future months I expect they will probably put up the basic release of games like Pain and Super Star Dust HD that also have tons of DLC to buy.

Once people subscribe and buy DLC for games they are basically locked in unless they want to waste that money.

Wait what? Wipeout HD online is almost non-existant these days. DLC doesn't matter. Pinball really? You choose that DLC for yourself. The tables have nothing to do witht he game, they're just extras. (Cheap too). 95% of Pain's DLC is characters. Who cares? For anyone who has played Pain and tried to get those trophies, there is more than enough game in there for the plain vanilla version. SS HD really??? There are exactly 2 (!!! count em two!!) DLC packs for the game. A single player add-on and a co-op upgrade. The co-op sucks. Don't get it unless you want the trophy (why?). The single player is more understandable, but it's cheap too. I really think you're just grasping at straws to tear down a service you don't want. Your logic is extremely flawed.

GraveRobberX said:

I have WipeOut (Day 1), say I get PSN+, they offer me WO (as a yearly member), lets say I don't resubscribe, WTF happens then?

I 'm not trying to be gloom and doom, but Sony really fucking hurts itself by not being definitely clear

They really need to come out and be like Oi, Fella!, want PSN+ this is what it offers, and in case of these scenarios here is what will happen

So simple, but no lets be vague, beat around the bush, give information sporadically through different news services be it leaks, rumors, etc.

Do you honestly think they will take your game back?? lol. Geez you do know there is a free number to call for customer service right? It's illegal from them to take away a product you bought. Your scenario will never happen.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
^

This is Sony after all, I may be there fan boy/in their camp, but I have been screwed/burned by them before

You never know

/tin foil hat

web01

The service is probably alright for people who havent brought anything or very much from the psn store, if your a heavy psn user already you are basically gambling away money hoping you get some value out of it.

For $70 AUD I will pass, minis and LBP DLC discounts are not very compelling at all. If your a heavy user your going to have most of this stuff already. Wipeout HD and Zen pinball are two of the best selling games on psn as far as I know and if your a casual they trick is they want you to buy the DLC making the money back that way.

Another thing is having the full game trials add the trophies to your profile with no way or removing them will again encourage people to buy full version.

Mako_Drug

web01 said:
Another thing is having the full game trials add the trophies to your profile with no way or removing them will again encourage people to buy full version.

:lol :lol :lol run for the hills!

tirminyl

web01 said:

You won't get any trophies until you buy the game.

Withnail

tirminyl said:
You won't get any trophies until you buy the game.

Actually I thought I read somewhere that the trophies will show on your local trophy list but they will not upload to the server or affect your public trophy level etc. There's probably something in FW3.40 that enables trophies from a locked trial game to be identified as such in the trophy list.

GraveRobberX said:

Erm... I don't see what's so hard to understand. Its written clearly that if you BUY something - even at discounted PSN+ prices - its yours forever. The freebies that are included with PSN+ are only active while your subscription is active.

I'm not too sur what's so hard to understand about that, honestly. Buy=keep. Subscription=only while active. Its no different than buying anything else or leasing anything else. Same business model for ownership :/

Goldrusher

TTP said:
No offense but it's not that difficult to understand if you actually take your time to do so. Did you actually read the blog post? It's pretty clear to me. Sure it's not a simple "Do this one thing to get that one thing" kind of system, but the overall logic of it all is very easy to understand.
They don't explain "push demo" on the blog. ;)

Flek

Banned
Mako_Drug said:
Its trial demo's that won't activate trophies until you purchase the full version. Wipeout HD etc will unlock trophies as per usual.

ah so the free games i get (or should i say "rent") give me trophies?

Loudninja

PS blog comments
Hi, sorry for the cofusion. All the DLC (e.g. Killzone DLC, etc) we are currently offering is not tied to the subscription and you will keep it forever. This will always be the case unless stated otherwise in the description of the content on the store.
The reference in the T’s & C’s refers to a situation where we may, in the future, offer additional ‘Premium game elements’ and these may be linked to your subscrition

Posted on 24 June, 2010 at 1:22 pm by James Thorpe
Hi, yes. we are working on an exclusive clothing item for members that will hopefully be available at launch and we are also looking at creating other Home exclusive for Plus members in the near future

Posted on 24 June, 2010 at 1:27 pm by James Thorpe
Hi, Push demos are the game demos that we will be sending direclty to your PS3 via the automatic download feature. Only demos you haven’t already got on your PS3 will be added for you

Posted on 24 June, 2010 at 1:44 pm by James Thorpe
Hi, all DLC on Plus is yours to keep forever. We added ‘premium game elements’ to the t’s & c’s as we will hopefully be giving members other game content that may be linked to your subscription

Posted on 24 June, 2010 at 2:06 pm by James Thorpe
Hi, you will keep the Killzone pack forever

So the DLC will be free.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This shit is confusing as hell (and I'm an idiot). I'm just going to wait until some GAFers have this for a month so they can clear up all the things that you supposedly get or don't get with this.

Either way, I'm pretty meh about the whole thing. Unless threads explodes and everyone loves it, I'm probably staying away. ESPN on 360 is really the only driving force for me to keep XBL. It would be nice is Sony got some "non-video game" content like that, maybe Hulu or something.

Loudninja

Posted on 24 June, 2010 at 1:06 pm by James Thorpe
Hi, in Europe we have firstplay which is made by Future Publishing rather than Sony and at the moment we don’t know if it’s possible to include this in Plus

So I guess no for Europe.

What's depressing for me is that I AM interested in this, but I already own most of the stuff they're giving away. Every PS3 owner should have LBP and WipEout in the first place, although I guess this gives them no excuse now.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Majine said:
It's too much content-driven. I want more functionalities, not be given games I have not choosen myself.

speaking of that, is "Party chat" or havies Parties like XBL has, going to be a function of Plus or is that cross game chat going out to everyone?

Sorry I haven't been keeping up (also I'm an idiot). :lol

Cruzader

Banned
Loudninja said:
PS blog comments

So the DLC will be free.

DLC is not locked to an account so this isnt any news really. For instance, If I got your account and DL all your DLC, I wouldnt be taking a slot on your 5 activations. I could deactivate + delete your account and still play your DLC for free. The thing is, all DLC is stored in the GAME folder which is mostly where updates/map packs/addons get saved so DLC just gets added to that place without any links to an account.

So if PSN+ offers free DLC, if you were to unsubscribe, you would keep all the DLC. No one can remove or deactive that stuff. (unlike themes...not sure about avatars)

Loudninja

Cruzader said:
DLC is not locked to an account so this isnt any news really. For instance, If I got your account and DL all your DLC, I wouldnt be taking a slot on your 5 activations. I could deactivate + delete your account and still play your DLC for free. The thing is, all DLC is stored in the GAME folder which is mostly where updates/map packs/addons get saved so DLC just gets added to that place without any links to an account.

So if PSN+ offers free DLC, if you were to unsubscribe, you would keep all the DLC. No one can remove or deactive that stuff. (unlike themes...not sure about avatars)

All that stuff is free though.other than that is still good to know!People are confusing themselves too much.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Loudninja said:
PS blog comments

So the DLC will be free.

Here is another one (answering me about english language being present or not in digital versions of retail games)

Hi, it depends on the game but in general English is included

Sounds good :)

mr_chun

Looks totally worth it to me. It's just over $4 a month... if one of the big games/dlc or two of the smaller items themes/avatars/minis strikes your fancy each month, you've gotten your money's worth.

So like, for me, month one, Killzone DLC gets me my money's worth, cause I don't have it. That DLC is $6, so I saved $2. Plus on top of that, I get a couple of minis and a PSOne game that might suck might be awesome, dynamic themes and avatars I never would have gotten otherwise, etc. etc. FOR FREE. And if they suck, I don't have to keep them. No loss.

(I have WipEout already, but I'd imagine that a lot of people don't, which makes the first month win by itself it's an awesome game).

Loudninja

So far:
-You rent 12 PSN games,24 minis , and 12 PS1 classics *for a year subscription*
-Premium avatars and dynamic themes each month * You keep these*
-Full Game Trials *including full PS3 games*-
-Automatic Downloads*Push demos, DLC ,etc*
-Discounts on PS store content *you keep whatever you buy of course*
-Free DLC
-Qore subscription *Does not include Europe for now*
-Free LBP*only for Europe and only the first month*
-Access to selected demos and beta trails
-A + next to your PSN id while subscribed

How can I forget the + sign? ;)

Best news out of this so far is that LBP will be going up on the PS Store. I'll totally download that, always wanted to just keep it on my hard drive.

Loudninja

Lagspike_exe said:
Any chance Europe gets that EU edition of Qore...? I believe it's called FirstPlay.
Posted on 24 June, 2010 at 1:06 pm by James Thorpe
Hi, in Europe we have firstplay which is made by Future Publishing rather than Sony and at the moment we don’t know if it’s possible to include this in Plus

So I guess no Qore for now,have to wait and see.

badcrumble said:
Best news out of this so far is that LBP will be going up on the PS Store. I'll totally download that, always wanted to just keep it on my hard drive.

Yeah. I was about to buy the GOTY edition but for whatever reason, something about LBP just seems more "right" as a sort of... program like Home or something. God that sounded dumb. It makes sense to me. :lol

CozMick

Banned
Loudninja said:
So far:
-You rent 12 PSN games,24 minis , and 12 PS1 classics *for a year subscription*
-Premium avatars and dynamic themes each month * You keep these*
-Full Game Trials *including full PS3 games*-
-Automatic Downloads*Push demos, DLC ,etc*
-Discounts on PS store content *you keep whatever you buy of course*
-Free DLC
-Qore subscription *Does not include Europe for now*
-Free LBP*only for Europe and only the first month*
-Access to selected demos and beta trails

-A + next to your PSN id while subscribed - Fuck yeah!

Sounds like excellent value for money if you ask me.

Cruzader

Banned
Oh yea if you rent 12 PSN games...that means free trophies for trophy whores! They just have to work on them without having to spend more!

yencid

i think this is a pretty important point

Hi, we add new content every month for subscribers to download, if you join after that month then you won’t be able to access content from when you weren’t a member.
If you download something when you’re a member and then delete it from your PS3/PSP, then you can still find that content on the store and re-download it as long as you are still a member

Well they are offering a decent amount of content can't complain about that, even though you lose the games when you cancel. It's a crapshoot though on how good a month will be. I can't wait to see all the angry forum goers during a subpar month, you think people get mad now every week after the PSN update, just wait.

I'm also wondering if subscribers will actually buy less stuff because they're afraid they'll get it free eventually. Even so, it's guaranteed money for Sony and it'll probably even out in the end. Personally I'd buy it for a year and give it a shot, because I know what'll happen, there'll be early beta access for something good and I'll be pissed I didn't subscribe.

brandonh83 said:
Yeah. I was about to buy the GOTY edition but for whatever reason, something about LBP just seems more "right" as a sort of... program like Home or something. God that sounded dumb. It makes sense to me. :lol
I think for the PS4 Sony really ought to scrap Home but have LBP3 preloaded onto every hard drive, as well as some kind of LittleBigHome and LittleBigSports. Sackboy's a very good mascot for the company if they actually take advantage of it, and the LBP aesthetic is extremely appealing. Oh, and of course use a Sackboy as your avatar instead of a still image.

Ponn

Banned
Yea, this is still big pass and a bit shady to me. I paid $25 for a year of Qore and got into a couple betas, had a couple exclusive demos and got Calling all Cars, that bowling game, Spyro and Syphon Filter and got to KEEP those games. I pay $25 more for PSN plus and get to "rent" the free old ass games they choose for me for the time of my sub andddd.....not much else difference? Seems like a step backwards for having to pay more. Oh wait, you get a special avatar icon so people know you like wasting your money:lol

LegoDad

Cruzader said:

Um, DLC is tied to your account. If you delete the account on the PS3 the DLC won't work. Trust me I've tried it with the old COD4 maps. You have the keep the account on the PS3.

Snipes424

Well after reading TTP's post, I think PSN+ is worth it. I was under the impression that everything we bought (includcing themes, avatars, DLC, etc.) was only being "rented" and once PSN+ was canceled they would be gone. But luckily I was wrong.

Top Bottom