• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

Yeah i just meant cause it takes a turn to charge, hyper beam works though! In fact you might as well because your loafing around phase happens at the same time as the recharge phase :p

After Gen 3 the recharge turn and the loafing turn are separate :(

Willxc123

e4Wy6.jpg

Has anyone else notice the snowflakes in froakkie's attack? I don't think it's just water gun, or even ice beam. It could potentially be a water type move that could freeze, just like scald is a water type that burns. Also do you think froakkie could be a water/ice type?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
In singles, you would generally not run Giga Impact (Hyper Beam is Special) on Slaking, because you want the Loafing around turn for switching out. Otherwise, you could be setup on and something with Substitute, or the rare Protect, in singles could really play around it. Speaking of Protect, it's the reason you'd never run a move with cool down in Doubles and because the game moves way too fast for a Pokemon to recharge for a turn.

Generally speaking, Skill Swap / Role Play are more trouble than they're worth (even if you Skill Swap Truant away from Slaking, you're still only using one Pokemon the second turn, a massive disadvantage). The one that has any consistency is Skill Swapping Levitate on to Heatran, with his partner (probably Cresselia, but bunch of Levitators receive Skill Swap) obtaining Flash Fire. I do enjoy Skill Swapping Tinted Lens on to anything with Intimidate (Gyarados is lovely) because it means his Waterfall is suddenly unresisted and Intimidate activates once more.

I played around with Skill Swap (and Role Play) Spinda, wanting it to actually achieve something with Contrary (like Hydreigon firing off Draco Meteors), but it was generally too much work unless the situation was given to me perfectly.

gosox333

There won't be any usable youknowwhats, so I don't think there'll be any retrievable data for discovering all the new Pokemon on release, and there won't be a much of a gap, if any, between the US/EU/JP releases. No complete lists of Pokemon, no sneaking peaks at Music from the Japanese games a couple months early, it'll all be completely new right at release.

I remember I went into D/P and B/W completely knowing everything. They were still awesome, but I haven't gone in blind on anything with a Pokemon game since R/S. This could be pretty special.

flippedb

Banned
e4Wy6.jpg

Has anyone else notice the snowflakes in froakkie's attack? I don't think it's just water gun, or even ice beam. It could potentially be a water type move that could freeze, just like scald is a water type that burns. Also do you think froakkie could be a water/ice type?

Oh that's interesting, maybe a new move? He doesn't need to be ice type to get ice attacks, and I don't see them doing such combination.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
e4Wy6.jpg

It could be Water / Ice, which would make me cry. There plenty of icy beam attacks and I'm not sure why you wouldn't think this is Ice Beam (Aurora Beam has been more colourful in the past), but it could be Frost Breath too.

I like the idea of a freezing Water type move, even though I doubt it would be over a 10% chance of freezing. Maybe this is the generation when moves start to have dual types.

Berordn

It could be Water / Ice, which would make me cry. There plenty of icy beam attacks and I'm not sure why you wouldn't think this is Ice Beam (Aurora Beam has been more colourful in the past), but it could be Frost Breath too.

I like the idea of a freezing Water type move, even though I doubt it would be over a 10% chance of freezing. Maybe this is the generation when moves start to have dual types.

Maybe a water type attack that's affected by the target's ice resistance? It'd be absolutely silly, but kind of like Psyshock in a way. But most water types have access to ice attacks anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's just using icy wind.

Tehalemi

It's all yours since you've claimed it first!

Cool beans, and thank you for making it. Too cute. >x3

Interesting on that snowflake there. A badass ice/water starter would make my starter decision a little more difficult.

I haven't followed and finished a pokemon game since Sapphire, so I'm still new to some of the established stuff as of now. :p

789shadow

Banned
If I wasn't planning on doing a 3-starter run first time I would probably be going Froakie/Y Version just based on the info we have now.

Salvadora

My opinion on the best starter has changed a few times since X/Y were unveiled. I haven't been this pleased with the starters and Legendaries before. I'm still a little unsure about the switch to 3D, but its growing on me. I'm sure it will look great on the 3DS screen though.

Tehalemi

My opinion on the best starter has changed a few times since X/Y were unveiled. I haven't been this pleased with the starters and Legendaries before. I'm still a little unsure about the switch to 3D, but its growing on me. I'm sure it will look great on the 3DS screen though.

Can't wait to try this on an XL too.

injurai

Banned
e4Wy6.jpg

Yeah, and Fennekin has Psychic looking waves. Chespin has some dark like effects too.

But Froakie also does a second fighting thing. More likely that he is fighting than Ice me thinks.

Daedardus

e4Wy6.jpg

Who uses an Ice type attack on a Fire type Pokémon? And watching the trailer again, it doesn't look like a snowflake to me. I think it's just some splash that partially looks like a flake. Look at the bottom right-hand corner, it has very rounded edges.

Look what happened to Piplup. One day he was a cute bundle of feathers, and then he became ruler of the evolutionary line. Never trust appearances, for they are deceiving.

Willxc123

The reason I don't think it is icebeam or an ice move is if you watch froakkie's attack in motion, it looks more like a water attack, with it splashing once it hits. But as I pointed out in the still, or if you just look carefully at it in motion, it has ice characteristics as well.

The 3ds graphics could pull off a water move without having such angular "snowflake-like" effects happening, so I don't think it's by accident.

untitled-160tjx76.gif

Qurupeke

e4Wy6.jpg

Interesting but many water types use ice attacks, so I guess this doesn't confirm anything.

Neiteio

Gah why did I only just realise that Chespin is covering his hedgehog spines with his green hoodie? I was all like, how can he be a hedgehog with no spines? lol
That's not a hoodie covering spines -- the green part is his literal back, the "chestnut shell," and those are the few spines he has for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom