• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grakl

Well, I had a large stuffed Charmander and Pikachu that was my size when I was younger. Pikachu is gone, but my sister still has the Charmander.

TheMink

I think we should off our collection of Pokemon stuff, I think it'd be fun. I'll be easy to beat d:

I have 1501 Cards (including my girlfriends)

My brother has the complete 1 gen card set. (And a holographic charizard!!) most are holographic only a few first additions though.
Other than that all my cards are for playing competatively. I do have a lot of them though.

Game wise i have all of them. But im pretty sure my GBC ones are lost forever.

I'll photograph some of my collection later (I have 6 plushies and over 60 figurines), but here are some pics that I already have on my computer:

Xyw22.jpg

My BW Ash hat (being worn by me), signed by Veronica Taylor herself :) She's the nicest woman ever, by the way.

My satchel. <3 Oshawott and Totodile.

My Scraggy plush and Red Scraggy™. I love them so.

Derpalon. He's... special.

zroid

Banned
I stopped buying TCG because back in 1999 or so, roughly 75% of my collection was stolen at school. Totally zapped my motivation to continue. :<

I stopped buying TCG because back in 1999 or so, roughly 75% of my collection was stolen at school. Totally zapped my motivation to continue. :<
Thats awful. I'd probably go on a killing spree...
I kid, I keeeed
So many shiny cards. I'm jelly.
You better be, you should pick your game up son.
Your girlfriends are cards?
You know it.
Im so taking photos when i get back home, ima put all yall to shame!!!
I'm keeping your word.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Man, I didn't even know that they still made the TCG. I collected and played like a madman when I was a kid but all of the leagues in my area dried up by 2002 and I quit. Is it just a New York/LA thing now where you have to live in an enormous megalopolis just to find someone to play with?

I have complete Base Set through Neo Destiny or so, all of the promo cards up to forty-something, but the binders are in storage somewhere. Can't believe the money I spent on it all now that it's worthless, but I had fun, so I guess that's what counts.

Some idiot stole my shiny Machamp card back in grade school. I haven't bought any cards since.

Machamp was the most common holofoil because it came from a theme deck, though! You probably could have gotten another one from a card shop for a dollar or two and gone on with your TCG life.

ohlawd

Machamp was the most common holofoil because it came from a theme deck, though! You probably could have gotten another one from a card shop for a dollar or two and gone on with your TCG life.

I have a binder full of the most moe Machamp companions possible and they are all laughing at you.

yeah exactly. The theme deck with the Machamp in it was my first ever. I got some good memories with that thing mmk? ;_;

Sure everyone had the same exact card but who cares, I didn't care back then ;_;

famfrit

I don't hate Charizard, but I do think it's extremely overrated. It's popular because it looks "cool", but only insofar as any generic dragon would. It doesn't have anything particularly unique or creative going for it.

How many dragons have fire in the tail and are weak against water ?

By the way, the design is good to the point to putting Tiamat side by side to charizard to tell that dont looks like a real dragon... By the way, the majority of dragons are more "wyrm" like not he humanshaped body of charizard...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ya that was pretty much standard procedure back in the day. I wonder what weird things are being outlawed these days...

My school banned Pokemon cards but according to friends that teach there now they still haven't banned things like iPads even though kids are constantly accessing Facebook and playing Angry Birds in the middle of class :lol I guess socially acceptable distractions get a pass.

zroid

Banned
How many dragons have fire in the tail and are weak against water ?

By the way, the design is good to the point to putting Tiamat side by side to charizard to tell that dont looks like a real dragon... By the way, the majority of dragons are more "wyrm" like not he humanshaped body of charizard...

Maybe I've just grown cynical, but sticking a flame on its tail doesn't exactly scream "creativity". Like I said, I don't hate Charizard; I think it's a good-looking design. It's just not particularly interesting to warrant its enormous popularity, IMO.

injurai

Banned
My school banned Pokemon cards but according to friends that teach there now they still haven't banned things like iPads even though kids are constantly accessing Facebook and playing Angry Birds in the middle of class :lol I guess socially acceptable distractions get a pass.

Probably Pokemon still...

...Having said that my niblings thought you played Sapphire with a stylus so maybe not.

iPads then?

If people think my generation has a fragmented mind because of technology I hate to see what the youngster generation will be like. My 6 year old cousin can't focus on anything for more than 10 minutes. I used to spend hours on a single thing at a time.

This is what I have within arms' reach. So that's all I'm taking a photo of.

KcHZm3P.jpg

Blaine's Arcanine. The Original nuker card. I have one as well ;)

zroid

Banned
Man, I have so much Poké-paraphernalia, but most of it is scattered all over the place, to the point where it'd be nigh impossible to track it all down. I'm tempted to try, though. It would be nice to have everything in one place again.

In related news: one of my 3DS friends was bragging on Swapnote the other day about the Charizard 3DS XL he imported. Looks so cool ;___;

famfrit

Maybe I've just grown cynical, but sticking a flame on its tail doesn't exactly scream "creativity". Like I said, I don't hate Charizard; I think it's a good-looking design. It's just not particularly interesting to warrant its enormous popularity, IMO.

Charizard is more popular than blastoise or venusaur because of two things: anime and fire.

Fire is associate's with power, and if think about it charizard can fly and shoots fire. This is damn powerful in the concept idea.

By the way, Blastoise is the best design because i never imagined a turtle with two cannons that shoots water.

Kokonoe

Banned
yeah exactly. The theme deck with the Machamp in it was my first ever. I got some good memories with that thing mmk? ;_;

Sure everyone had the same exact card but who cares, I didn't care back then ;_;

I'm trying to get into an argument with you and it's like you don't even realize it. Hmph. I'll go back to talking about what I like about Pokemon then.

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh YEAH?!

THEY'RE REAL TO ME DAMMIT

Keep those broken cards that destroy all the pre Diamond and Pearl cards away from me!

but yeah, I do plan on getting back into the cards again even though I can't use my decks anymore. I do have a few of the new decks such as the Espeon one.

Hypatia

Keep those broken cards that destroy all the pre Diamond and Pearl cards away from me!

but yeah, I do plan on getting back into the cards again even though I can't use my decks anymore. I do have a few of the new decks such as the Espeon one.

It's actually quite funny looking back at the old cards and realising how terrible they are.

Charizard's firespin costs four whole energies and you have to discard two of them. Seriously that's fucking abysmal.

Also Solar Suggestion Espeon + Espeon Prime = best deck ever. Damn I love my Espeons.

I don't actually have this... in, fact I don't own ANY Pokemon memorabilia outside of the games. I used to have a Pikachu / Charizard plushie and everything...

I have never owned a Pokemon toy or plush or model or anything. It's just the games and cards... though my friend once got me origami Piplups if that counts.

injurai

Banned
I always hated when things had to fall into the DBZ effect... why can't they just balance things as is and make cards better by their actions and traits. But now they make EX cards with 170 hp and hyper beams on everyone and their uncle.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's actually quite funny looking back at the old cards and realising how terrible they are.

Charizard's firespin costs four whole energies and you have to discard two of them. Seriously that's fucking abysmal.

Also Solar Suggestion Espeon + Espeon Prime = best deck ever. Damn I love my Espeons.

Charizard isn't terrible by any means, he's just terrible due to the huge change with Diamond and Pearl cards (they don't even allow the old cards to be used anymore) They made the default HPs higher, the default attack powers higher, changed up resistance and a the trainers are bit more potent (aside from the penalty of using more than one at a time).

How is Charizard still good you might ask? Double Colorless Energy + Pokemon Power Energy Trans in a Venusaur deck. It's quite a deadly combination that I used all the time. You can sit there and just fire off or protect your energy with Venusaur if Charizard is going to die and get another one ready. Energy Retrievals keep it going further.

I like Espeon a lot too, Flareon and Espeon are my favorites.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Charizard isn't terrible by any means, he's just terrible due to the huge change with Diamond and Pearl cards (they don't even allow the old cards to be used anymore) They made the default HPs higher, the default attack powers higher, changed up resistance and a the trainers are bit more potent (aside from the penalty of using more than one at a time).

How is Charizard still good you might ask? Double Colorless Energy + Pokemon Power Energy Trans in a Venusaur deck. It's quite a deadly combination that I used all the time. You can sit there and just fire off or protect your energy with Venusaur if Charizard is going to die and get another one ready. Energy Retrievals keep it going further.

What's the point of jacking up the HP if the attack powers are proportionally increased too? Most of the people playing now are probably too young to remember when a new card with 100 or 120HP was a pants-pissingly amazing event, so there's no novelty in something with 150/170/200/whatever the high end of HP is now.

Kokonoe

Banned
What's the point of jacking up the HP if the attack powers are proportionally increased too? Most of the people playing now are probably too young to remember when a new card with 100 or 120HP was a pants-pissingly amazing event, so there's no novelty in something with 150/170/200/whatever the high end of HP is now.

I have no idea, I am not a fan of the change it's something they did. They also made the attack effects more potent as well.

Hypatia

Hah, clever. That sounds like a fun deck to use. I still haven't gotten any double colourless energy cards though. Kinda forgot they exist >_>

Pokemon powers are the best though... well at least the ones that you can use while they're benched are (all hail Victory Star Victini).

Also I actually prefer Vaporeon to Flareon. Spiral Drain can be such an amusingly annoying attack. There's something great about destroying an opponent with low HP attacks... Sludge Drag Muk + Solar Suggestion Espeon is amazing for that.

I really want to get an Evoblast Umbreon and set up a Dark type deck with Dark Cloak Darkrai though. Umbreon is so awesome ;___;

Damn I had no idea what any of this shit meant a week ago. PTCGO is addictive as hell

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I have no idea, I am not a fan of the change it's something they did. They also made the attack effects more potent as well.

A single status effect was bad enough, how could they possibly make that worse? Now I'm kind of intrigued. Is there any kind of online dueling scene here on GAF that isn't that proprietary-looking thing a few posts up that probably costs money? Do people still use Apprentice? That was what I used for online duels a decade ago.

Hypatia

A single status effect was bad enough, how could they possibly make that worse? Now I'm kind of intrigued. Is there any kind of online dueling scene here on GAF that isn't that proprietary-looking thing a few posts up that probably costs money? Do people still use Apprentice? That was what I used for online duels a decade ago.

It's free to play >___>

<____<

But yeah you're supposed to buy real booster packs/decks to get codes for online boosters. I've just been buying the codes.

You can unlock a bunch of cards and decks in the single player though. You just can't trade any of them.

Wait does playing the card game online require me to buy anything?

Well it's not a requirement.

The Lamp

Chespin is the superior starter. He's adorable and the only furry grass starter ever.

He should be winning the poll but unfortunately humans sometimes have wrong opinions and it's a terrible thing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's free to play >___>

<____<

But yeah you're supposed to buy real booster packs to get codes for online boosters. I've just been buying the codes.

You can unlock a bunch of cards and decks in the single player though. You just can't trade any of them.

Huh. I might give this a whirl and see how stunted my ability to compete is if I try to go the all-free route. Dozens of binders and shoeboxes full of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards that I'll never have the chance to use again say I'm never spending another cent on TCGs, ever.

Kokonoe

Banned
Hah, clever. That sounds like a fun deck to use. I still haven't gotten any double colourless energy cards though. Kinda forgot they exist >_>

Pokemon powers are the best though... well at least the ones that you can use while they're benched are (all hail Victory Star Victini).

Also I actually prefer Vaporeon to Flareon. Spiral Drain can be such an amusingly annoying attack. There's something great about destroying an opponent with low HP attacks... Sludge Drag Muk + Solar Suggestion Espeon is amazing for that.

I really want to get an Evoblast Umbreon and set up a Dark type deck with Dark Cloak Darkrai though. Umbreon is so awesome ;___;

Damn I had no idea what any of this shit meant a week ago. PTCGO is addictive as hell

I admit, I did invent that method myself and I haven't seen anyone else use it before. =p I use to spend days and days just coming up with decks, and was a huge fan of the cards until the Diamond and Pearl ones. It was just a shame as I never really got to play in tournament play as I was oblivious to them existing so I just played with a few friends and also played tons of the TCG game on gameboy.

And hearing all these Eevee shenanigans caused me to download the TCG app, I guess I'll have some fun again. Maybe I can find a way to mod the game with the gameboy TCG music.

There isn't any online dueling scene, but due to this topic I think one can easily be created and I will possibly take part in it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom