• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You should play Platinum and Black/White 1 or 2. Imo the best games of the series so far.

BW, or BW2 in my opinion. Anything further back really shows age wise now, especially with just how long battles and the menu system takes.

Totodile was rad and my affection for Cyndaquil comes from choosing one, but there's no defending Chikorita.

iCZW7x4d3005t.png

Chikorita is the starter real Pokemasters use.

I never used chikorita but I wont deny its one of the best starter designs, hell one of the best designs period. Great evolutions too.

Evolutions for starters have been kinda ugly lately, esp for my water pokemon.

Berordn

That's not what I was saying...that'd be dumb.

Obviously they'd be "in" the game. But I'm saying. The region will have like 150-250, and then you'll have to wait for new games to get all the older ones, through remakes, or new games, or whatevz. But this is just a "hunch".

Im not as sure that you will be able to transfer old mons as you guys are.

Well, that's a given. Although since FR/LG every game's had a post-story area with some non-native Pokemon and had plenty of ways of obtaining the old ones so I doubt you'll only be able to get 200.

And we've been able to transfer them all since the GBA games, the DS and 3DS are still compatible physically and electronically. There's no reason we wouldn't be able to transfer outside of them just being dickish about it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I never used chikorita but I wont deny its one of the best starter designs, hell one of the best designs period. Great evolutions too.

Evolutions for starters have been kinda ugly lately, esp for my water pokemon.

But the last two were Samurott and Emploeon. Sure, Swampert being ugly I could see.. but not the God-like Emploeon.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Can't wait for these. I always get the "second" of the two games (Blue, Silver, Sapphire, Pearl, White) so Y it is. I do like Xerneas better than Yveltal (though Yveltal has been growing on me), so hopefully it'll be like GS where you can get both legendaries in one game.

I actually like these starters much more than last gen from a design perspective, but I'm a grass man, so Chespin all the way. Can't wait to see the evos.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not the only one that thinks Johto has the most disappointing starters, right?
Naw, I totally agree. I was thirteen when G/S came out, and even then I was disappointed. Cyndaquil is okay, but it's evolutions are so boring. I want my starters to be more unique. Totodile looks like a fucking Flintstones character, and only gets worse as it evolves. And yeah, like ShockingAlberto said, there's no excuse for Chikorita.

Also : People who always pick a starter of the same type are weird to me. I pick whichever one looks the coolest/cutest.

Kyzer

Banned
Every starter has its positives and negatives, for me, except Chimchar. My least favorite. and idk why. I love fire types and i like monkeys enough.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Every starter has its positives and negatives, for me, except Chimchar. My least favorite. and idk why. I love fire types and i like monkeys enough.

It's because I know my cute little Chimchar will evolve into god ugly Infernape. I can't look past that.

789shadow

Banned
I love how Gen 2 is always the cutoff point for "absolutely everything after sucks". It's so easy to tell that its an arbitrary nostalgia point after which nostalgia doesn't have an effect.

Trey

My man.

Gen 2 had the weakest starters, but they weren't bad by any means imo.

Overall, the Gen 2 designs were kind of boring.
Still love my Scizor, Totodile line, Steelix and Ursaring though.

Naw, I totally agree. I was thirteen when G/S came out, and even then I was disappointed. Cyndaquil is okay, but it's evolutions are so boring. I want my starters to be more unique. Totodile looks like a fucking Flintstones character, and only gets worse as it evolves. And yeah, like ShockingAlberto said, there's no excuse for Chikorita.

Also : People who always pick a starter of the same type are weird to me. I pick whichever one looks the coolest/cutest.

Ya'll suspect.

Gen II does that work, design wise. Competitively in the current meta, it takes a loss. Worst gen starters in that regard, besides Gen V maybe.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ya'll suspect.

Gen II does that work, design wise. Competitively in the current meta, it takes a loss. Worst gen starters in that regard, besides Gen V maybe.
Yeah, Gen V wasn't so great, either. Snivy and Tepig are both just okay. Oshawatt... not so much. Gen IV is the best.

Also, I feel like I've had this same conversation ten times in the past 48 hours. I should probably stop checking this thread, lol.

Trey

I love how Gen 2 is always the cutoff point for "absolutely everything after sucks". It's so easy to tell that its an arbitrary nostalgia point after which nostalgia doesn't have an effect.

After the likes of Gyarados, Nidoking, Tyranitar, Lugia and Arcanine, you can only go downhill from there.

Sheer Force Feraligatr is really good, though. I'll take any excuse to use it!

Hm. I'll look into it.

Teknoman

Yeah, Gen V wasn't so great, either. Snivy and Tepig are both just okay. Oshawatt... not so much. Gen IV is the best.

Also, I feel like I've had this same conversation ten times in the past 48 hours. I should probably stop checking this thread, lol.

lol standard procedure for any Pokemon thread. We've gone through the OMG HYPE MAX phase, the Pokeart phase, the "my favorites" phase, and now the ____gen starters/ gen art sucks phase.

upandaway

Wait wait a second man, let's calm down here. I can't say I see this.

I can clearly see some sort of consistent "art style" throughout gen 1. Likewise I can see a different style, still consistent to that gen, in gen 2. And lastly, I can see a consistent style for gens 3, 4 and 5.

Forget quality/subjective opinion for a second and tell me if I'm wrong or not.. I feel like if you give me a new Pokemon for either of these art styles, the most precise answer I could give you will be either "gen 1", "gen 2" or "gens 3+". I couldn't tell you if a Pokemon will be from gen 3 or gen 5 without prior knowledge.

If you agree with that, then I think it's very logical that these different styles will spark different opinions that are consistent to those specific cut-off points. I think that's a pretty objective point of view.

Generation II's starters are the most boring, but Generation V's have to be the most disappointing based on their fully evolved forms. Serperior is boring like Generation II boring, Samurott more or less tosses everything promising about its prevos out the window in favor of a standard badass third stage, and Emboar is a "seriously did you just do that for the third time in a row."

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Generation II's starters are the most boring, but Generation V's have to be the most disappointing based on their fully evolved forms. Serperior is boring like Generation II boring, Samurott more or less tosses everything promising about its prevos out the window in favor of a standard badass third stage, and Emboar is a "seriously did you just do that for the third time in a row."

Should have just made Emboar Fire / Ground. He'd still be useless, slow and weak to everything, but at least people could stop complaining about his typing.

Jetku

Grass:
Turtwig > Chespin > Bulbasaur > Snivy > Treecko > Chikorita

Fire:
Charmander > Tepig > Chimchar > Fennekin > Torchic > Cyndaquil

Water:
Totodile > Squirtle > Froakie > Mudkip > Oshawott > Piplup

Screw your piplup hate.

All water starters > Mudkip

Looks like I will be getting Black & White to catch me up while I wait for XY. So how do I pick between Black or White? Should i skip the first set and go to Black & White 2?? How are the starters?

Berordn

I can't even tell what the legendary duo's types are just by looking at them. Any ideas?

Just based on their designs, I'm guessing Xerneas is Steel/Grass. Maybe Dark/Fire for Yveltal?

Looks like I will be getting Black & White to catch me up while I wait for XY. So how do I pick between Black or White? Should i skip the first set and go to Black & White 2?? How are the starters?

Black and White are great and have a fresh set of Pokemon. Version 2 continues the story from the first ones a little, but it's not mandatory if you just want to jump into them. The region is much larger and there's a much wider selection of Pokemon in 2, but neither's bad.

The starters all have their flaws though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom