• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meikiyou

But there are tons of base 600 event legendaries which are not the standard Pixie.
Manaphy, Darkrai, Deoxys, Genesect, a bunch of others from BW that I don't remember...

Instead of making tons of legendaries they could make quests or events relating to previous legendaries, there are enough of them. Most of the new ones are terribly boring and the huge amount of legendaries introduced in DP and BW was totally unnecessary. Most of them are overdesigned anyway. I'm not one of those who think the new generations are worse design-wise (they're not), but the legendaries definitely are. Arceus is the moment the "legendary" concept officially jumped the shark. If there's a GOD pokemon the very least it could do given its godly powers is to make itself not as ugly as it is.

I'd like them to start closing loose evolutionary ends and make more Pokemon viable. Off the top of my head:

Farfetch'd
Pinsir
Mr Mime
Jynx
Dunsparce
Luvdisc
Mantine
Delibird
Solrock and the other guy
Zangoose (definitely)
Absol (definitely)
Seviper

I really liked how DP was full of new evolutions to old pokemon. There's a lot of potential there. They are already rehashing stuff like fire monkeys and fire foxes so why not go and make the most of pokemon that they already created.

And a new Eevee evolution branch

Kyzer

Banned
I have a feeling this game is only going to have 150-250 pokemon in it, which will immediately imply new games coming out.

Berordn

About how much is a new 3DS game? (what do you think it would cost to buy both XY?)

New 3DS games generally retail around $40 USD, two would probably be $80 USD. Pokemon games have a history of being higher priced when packaged with something though, so if they felt like bundling something with it...

I have a feeling this game is only going to have 150-250 pokemon in it, which will immediately imply new games coming out.

Where are people getting the idea that the game won't support the full set? It'd be the first time in nearly 16 years that this would happen.

Cromat

And a new Eevee evolution branch

Eevee is a great family which has gotten a lot of attention both from fans and from the developers.

Some pokemon are not as lucky. I'm OK with stupid crap like Luvdisc getting ignored, but some of the choices they made are really weird:

Scyther gets Scizor, Pinsir gets nothing (perfect candidate for a Bug/Rock type).
Electabuzz and Magmar evolve, Mr Mime and Jynx don't.
None of the Gen III loners get evolutions, except Nosepass? Meanwhile Zangoose, Seviper and Absol cry in a corner. Also Tropius and Mawile. Solrock and Lunatone should fuse into Eclipstone or whatever. Plusle and Minusle or whatever they're called should also fuse into something mean.

Sadly, without evolutions these pokemon are totally forgettable and don't stand a chance in real battling. They deserve better, especially the ones that are properly designed.

Busaiku

I really liked how DP was full of new evolutions to old pokemon. There's a lot of potential there. They are already rehashing stuff like fire monkeys and fire foxes so why not go and make the most of pokemon that they already created.

This is terrible because then you're limited to encountering the same Pokemon from previous gens over and over.

But there are tons of base 600 event legendaries which are not the standard Pixie.
Manaphy, Darkrai, Deoxys, Genesect, a bunch of others from BW that I don't remember...

Instead of making tons of legendaries they could make quests or events relating to previous legendaries, there are enough of them. Most of the new ones are terribly boring and the huge amount of legendaries introduced in DP and BW was totally unnecessary. Most of them are overdesigned anyway. I'm not one of those who think the new generations are worse design-wise (they're not), but the legendaries definitely are. Arceus is the moment the "legendary" concept officially jumped the shark. If there's a GOD pokemon the very least it could do given its godly powers is to make itself not as ugly as it is.

I'd like them to start closing loose evolutionary ends and make more Pokemon viable. Off the top of my head:

Farfetch'd
Pinsir
Mr Mime
Jynx
Dunsparce
Luvdisc
Mantine
Delibird
Zangoose (definitely)
Absol (definitely)
Seviper

This is a good approach.

It would be interesting if the world of Pokemon underwent some kind of major war/catastrophe that could let Gamefreak "retire" some of the Pokemon that are just filler, too.

Maybe move the series more toward new ways to customize your Pokemon rather than having to come up with new ones all the time. New Pokemon are great, but it will not be good for the series to get to a thousand Pokemon when only a hundred or so are actually useful.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I was hoping they finally made a proper transition to 3D. It looked like it at first glance, the pokemon models and battles are finally at an acceptable level, but the overworld stuff is still locked in 2D design. And the overworlds visuals are severely lacking, I know 3DS can push harder than that.

X and Y do have me interested at least. My pokemon experience: Red, Yellow, Leaf Green. Basically I've been waiting 15 years for progression. But yeah, I have a hunch I'll have to wait for the next Nintendo handheld for any big changes. Sorry, potential changes.

Also the new pokemon designs like this:

birdg.png

Sigh. "Oh I see, it's a Y!" I really hate this "cool" style pokemon. It began in Gen 2 and it just does not fit with my idea of pokemon. At least they had some good designs like Ho-oh but wait that was designed during Gen 1 no wonder.

Kyzer

Banned
New 3DS games generally retail around $40 USD, two would probably be $80 USD. Pokemon games have a history of being higher priced when packaged with something though, so if they felt like bundling something with it...

Where are people getting the idea that the game won't support the full set? It'd be the first time in nearly 16 years that this would happen.

What? Ruby/Sapphire lacked a lot of Pokemon. So did D/P/Pt.

You can always tell what they're gonna release based on the pokemon available in a set of games.

Berordn

You can always tell what they're gonna release based on the pokemon available in a set of games.

D/P/Pt had almost all of them, barring legendaries, thanks to swarms and the Pokeradar.

R/S didn't have them all, but still supported them all.

TheMink

I havent picked a team yet >.<

Im inclined to chespin, but i hate grass type so, thats out :p
Because i love electric type, and they kinda fight eachother for usefulness.

If it were grass dark i would be all over that though.

Ultimately it depends on the final evelution.

Ruby/Sapphire were impacted by being incompatible with G1+2 due to the data format change. There isn't a chance of that happening with these new games, most likely - you'll be able to trade forward any of the 649 Pokemon that don't exist in the new games, so there's really not that much reason to be concerned.
http://i.imgur.com/2mKs8.png?1[IMG]

Make a pact with me[/QUOTE]
&#65295;&#20154;&#9685; &#8255;&#8255; &#9685;&#20154;&#65340;

Wichu

It would be interesting if the world of Pokemon underwent some kind of major war/catastrophe that could let Gamefreak "retire" some of the Pokemon that are just filler, too.

The problem is no matter what you remove, you're removing someone's favourite.

I'd be fine with X/Y supporting every Pokémon at the least, if not having them all in-region in some form. That's usually how it works, even considering the transfer break that happened with Gen III.

Removing Pokémon? That's a potentially unpopular move. They'd have to do something very carefully, and even then the Pokémon companies would take a hit.

Chopper

So I hear there's a new Pokemon game coming out?

Pretty exciting stuff. My fear is that they will add so many new gameplay elements that they forget about the fundamentals. As long as this game's world behaves like the current games, and the only real change is 3D,then that's great.

And count me in as someone who doesn't want to see any more legendaries. The ones we've seen are awesome, but that'll do.

I'd just like to see the different gen's rosters interact in some meaningful way. At least, I'd like some sort of comprehensive hierarchy.

Once you've gone "God" where can you go? And as a European luddite with no access to the decent events, Arceus actually means very little to me, which seems stupid.

Edit: Oh, and blue frog. I always choose the water starter. See no reason to change my ways this time.

Magnus

I personally fucking love it when a second or third gen evolution turns out to be something totally unexpected or awesomely different from the baseline Pokemon, particularly (and actually ONLY) if some design traits are shared throughout the evolutionary forms. Seeing a particular color or attribute get pulled out and expanded on in a third gen form that was almost unnoticeable in the starter is awesome and shows wonderful design detail and consistency. I'm having trouble coming up with any example right now but I've noticed it many times. Maybe something like whiskers or a particular tail design that sticks throughout a pokemon's evolution.

There would be a massive backlash if trading/transfer to Gen VI was prevented, I imagine. Likewise, if the dex was totally revamped/altered to start fresh I'd imagine similar hostility from fans, haha.

Also, where are people getting new info from, like the legendary names? Point me to the info dump post please!!

Berordn

I'd be fine with X/Y supporting every Pokémon at the least, if not having them all in-region in some form. That's usually how it works, even considering the transfer break that happened with Gen III.

Yeah, this makes sense. People thinking that they'll just arbitrarily remove some from the National Dex is what confuses me.

I love it when people super hate a particular type of pokemon design.

I always figured that when there's so many hundreds of them, variety in design philosophy is a good way to make sure everyone gets one or two guys they absolutely love.

And I disagree about the new legendaries being overdesigned.

This is overdesigned:
kyurem2.png

This is well designed with some flare; it's even quite simple:
tumblr_mgbefa7ihr1rgxwt5o1_500.jpg

Maedhros

Does anyone knows if this gen will have 0 communication with the others? That's what I'm hoping, at least. Want to do a fresh start.

Cromat

That is indeed what I mean sir. It would be nice if Pokemon X/Y was a genetic reference because a plague is about to hit the world, and it strikes along certain genetic lines.

Luvdisc died out because of lead poisoning in the oceans... tragic.

Busaiku said:
This is terrible because then you're limited to encountering the same Pokemon from previous gens over and over.

It's weird that there are so many pokemon that they are actually revisiting old concepts. Another bull pokemon (with an afro...), another sea turtle, more random uninteresting fish and now another fire fox. So why not develop already existing designs instead?

Korosenai

I'm just worried about Iwatas comment that we will see brand new Pokemon and 'some' old ones as well. I wish he has said 'all' ' :/
Im excited for no old ones. Save that for the third game or sequels.

Thats why I liked black and white so much and what I also felt the game did right. Filled with brand new pokemon, felt like a new experience. Then in black2/white2 they upped the dex to over 300. Thats how it should be.

superbank

And I disagree about the new legendaries being overdesigned.

This is well designed with some flare; it's even quite simple:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/dd331d249de2fb1ab2ed2b9562af2c9f/tumblr_mgbefa7ihr1rgxwt5o1_500.jpg[/QUOTE]

Is that official art? You're right it does have a simpler design than the previous legendary. The only thing out of place are those diamonds on the reverse side. But that art looks a lot smoother then even the CG from the trailer. There's a lot of angular bits for the sake of it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Does anyone knows if this gen will have 0 communication with the others? That's what I'm hoping, at least. Want to do a fresh start.

What on earth would be the point of that? If you don't want to bring your Pokemon over from previous games, don't. No way Nintendo will make that mistake after the shitstorm of RSE.

Farfetch'd
Pinsir
Mr Mime
Jynx
Dunsparce
Luvdisc
Mantine
Delibird
Zangoose (definitely)
Absol (definitely)
Seviper

I cannot tell you how much I agree. DP's batch of evos was perhaps my favorite bunch of new monsters, and my biggest disappointment with Gen 5 was a failure to follow that up.

Really, I'm kind of obsessed with this sort of thing, even though I don't really play competitively. It just bugs me when "useless" (broken/imbalanced) Pokémon are introduced when we already have so many that need to be "fixed".

And it doesn't have to be strictly evolutions. I really loved what Platinum did for Rotom, and the hidden abilities really breathed life into the monsters with more lackluster standard abilities (like Politoed and Ninetales, although those two might be a little overkill given how dominant those abilities can be...).

Im excited for no old ones. Save that for the third game or sequels.

Thats why I liked black and white so much and what I also felt the game did right. Filled with brand new pokemon, felt like a new experience. Then in black2/white2 they upped the dex to over 300. Thats how it should be.
Id be fine with no old Pokemon until after you beat the Elite Four, but If I have to play through an old game to catch an Abra just to transfer it over to X/Y so I can finally see my favorite Pokemon in 3D im going to be a bit peeved.

Unless theres some reason they cant fit every Pokemon in the game in some form I dont understand the reasoning on leaving them out.

Teknoman

Like I said, he's pretty bipedal (he can walk on hind legs). Think of quadruped as a sign that he's allowing himself to be weaker to be fair on the enemy.

Still wish it was bipedal, holding its shell swords in final form sprite.

You're most likely going to have to do a fresh start anyway, since they usually lock past transferals when possible. If not, just resist the urge, explore the world till post E4, then transfer.

EDIT: Yeah no old pokemon appearing until after a certain point would be nice.

Wichu

And as a European luddite with no access to the decent events, Arceus actually means very little to me, which seems stupid.

As a fellow European, I disagree - there have been plenty Wi-Fi events.

In 4th gen, we had:
-Shiny Raikou/Entei/Suicune
-Mew
-Jirachi
-Latias/Latios
-Darkrai
-Shaymin

In 5th gen, we had:
-Mewtwo
-Darkrai (again)
-Victini
-Reshiram/Zekrom
-Genesect

Finally, Arceus was available via a Dream World promotion.

The only event-only Pokemon missing are Celebi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Keldeo and Meloetta. Two of those were available as Wi-Fi events in the Pokemon Ranger games, and Meloetta hasn't been released in the US either, leaving Celebi and Keldeo as the only two you'd have to have gone to an in-store event to get.

heyf00L

Sigh. "Oh I see, it's a Y!" I really hate this "cool" style pokemon. It began in Gen 2 and it just does not fit with my idea of pokemon. At least they had some good designs like Ho-oh but wait that was designed during Gen 1 no wonder.

Nostalgiaing so hard. They all look equally goofy to me.

Berordn

Which has the better legendary?

Reshiram and Zekrom are both equally boss. Reshiram has to share a niche with White Kyurem as of B2/W2, but still has a unique typing and hits like a truck with special attacks.

Zekrom punches shit and gives no fucks. Black Kyurem is strong but doesn't have a very deep physical movepool.

Tuck

No. The new Pokemon designs - particularly the legendaries - do not stack up to the early designs. Many of them are ridiculously over designed and don't even look like plausible animals.

superbank

Is it possible to nostalgia for R/B when G/S came out? If so then I nostalgia'd. I would call it resistance to weird looking things. Many pokemon look goofy though I agree.

No. The new Pokemon designs - particularly the legendaries - do not stack up to the early designs. Many of them are ridiculously over designed and don't even look like plausible animals.
That's what I'm talkin' about.

The problem is no matter what you remove, you're removing someone's favourite.

That's what I think. I'd rather them just really slow down the output, and find ways to make the old monsters relevant.

For example, take the most generic, useless Pokémon you can think of. Right now, I'm thinking of Raticate. Generic Normal-type rat you see in every game.

Give it an evolution, base it on a rat king. (Pics here and here, don't say I didn't warn you.) Make it a big old fat rat with a king's crown and four Rattata tied to its tail that do the king's bidding. Make it Normal/Poison, give it worthwhile stats an interesting movepool and abilities. Call it... Rattiking.

Boom. XP

Wichu

Which has the better legendary?

Choose which one you think looks cooler - strength-wise, they're pretty equal. I prefer Zekrom.

Hint: the sequels to each contain the opposite legendary, if you choose to play them (Black contains Reshiram and Black 2 contains Zekrom, and vice-versa for White/White 2).

EDIT: Without trading, you'd only have one of Tornadus/Thundurus, as they don't appear in the sequels. Tornadus is in Black, and Thundurus is in White. Not sure if that helps.

RAWi

This idea got to me just about some seconds ago...

What if Pokemon X/Y in 3DS gets a Digital Release at the eShop, as well as the retail one.

Which version will you go with?

Digital or Retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom