• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Origins (4-part special based on Red/Blue) to be streamed starting Nov. 15

Mariolee

So spoilers don't need to be tagged here I presume due to the rampant you guys are with them. Then again, this is based on Red and Green/Blue so I guess the plot's already been out for a while.

I gotta say, I'm in the middle of the first episode and this is amazing. The hardest I've laughed so far is when Red tried to catch that little boy's Nidoran. Second place goes to creeper Brock behind the tree during Green's and Red's battle. So much nostalgia due to the order he encounters the Pokemon in. I still remember getting Pidgey and Caterpie too. I also chose Charmander as my first Pokemon.

God I love this so far.

Edit: Finished episode 1. So good. Felt like an actual battle as opposed to whatever goes on in the other anime. I love how close this anime is to the actual games.

sn00zer

final ep spoiler
Series was amazingly true to the original games making it really enjoyable BUT
JEESUS H CHRIST that Mewtwo fight was just a giant advertisement for Pokemon XY and was completely out of place
had a great time with the series till that point....cout have used 10 episodes total to flesh out things they skipped over

final ep spoiler
Series was amazingly true to the original games making it really enjoyable BUT
JEESUS H CHRIST that Mewtwo fight was just a giant advertisement for Pokemon XY and was completely out of place
had a great time with the series till that point....cout have used 10 episodes total to flesh out things they skipped over

That was probably my favorite moment just due to the fact it was something new. Although it could have been great if they really had followed the game and Red just used a Master Ball and caught Mewtwo with no problem.

JB2448

The first episode of the English dub is out. In my opinion, it's well made, and worth the watch if you played Pokémon Red and/or Blue in English. And, if you prefer to download it and watch it on your own media player, the first episode in English can be found in its highest (officially) uploaded quality here. The next three parts are coming out on November 18th, 20th, and 22nd respectively.

Darryl

Banned
I saw the first two parts earlier and have to wait a bit to finish it up. It's really good. Makes me wish this was how the anime was like all of the time.

Very underrated aspect of this is how they explain gym leaders in the games getting progressively tougher. They choose their pokemon depending on how many badges the challenger has.

Skelter

Banned
The first episode of the English dub is out. In my opinion, it's well made, and worth the watch if you played Pokémon Red and/or Blue in English. And, if you prefer to download it and watch it on your own media player, the first episode in English can be found in its highest (officially) uploaded quality here. The next three parts are coming out on November 18th, 20th, and 22nd respectively.

Wow that sucks. I had a really nice quality Japanese version downloaded. Why are we getting screwed over on this?

Vash the Stampede as Brock? Gohan as Professor Oak?

I'm pleased by the dub. Charmander's scream was toned down but it's not a big deal.

Windam

Scaley member
Man, the Pokemon website's video player's quality sucks. :( Charmander's scream when being bitten was censored, as expected. I was expecting Oak's voice to be like Oak from the original 4Kids dub of the Pokemon anime. Was disappointed. :(

TheOGB

Banned
I was gonna say something about Red being dense but it makes sense as a kid playing this crazy new game for the first time.

I gotta remember I was always a pretty quick learner. :p

Just started watching this official English version. Really great so far. Red's Mom needs a Mr. Mine to dust off the stairs though. And somehow Red has a pair of running shoes already...

LordGouda

Just started watching this official English version. Really great so far. Red's Mom needs a Mr. Mine to dust off the stairs though. And somehow Red has a pair of running shoes already...

It'd be weird for him to just get them out of nowhere, throw away his old shoes, and use those.

FrsDvl

Forgot about this! Going to watch the first episode right away.

Or not...
dRBwW0k.jpg

:(

Johnny Yong Bosch as Brock is so fucking weird

I'm really happy they didn't use any of the animes voice actors.

I recognize a lot of quotes. Like the "million light years away" one referring to Brock.

Thanks, that second link streams perfectly on the Wii U. It's a good show, my son will love it.

Gliffyr

Surprised how much I enjoyed this.

I would have loved to watch this when the Red/Blue were first released with how much they draw from the original source. Without Team Rocket to kick around every episode as filler, it certainly wouldn't be the crazy 600~ episode spanning anime it is now, but it would have been nice to have something closer to the games.

The flow of battle is also much nicer and the fights are well animated, which I suppose is reflective of the fact that this is all crammed into 4 episodes. Dub's nice as well, even though normal-sounding Professor Oak is a little offputting!

Keyouta

The choosing scene works better in the Japanese version when Oak asks Green if he'll pick Bulbasaur since it's type is his name, but he says he'll get a Squirtle instead. I guess they did an okay job working around that haha.

I enjoyed that so much. It says a lot to me that even the trainers lines stand out even though it's been years since playing those games.
Definitely going to watch the rest.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Very underrated aspect of this is how they explain gym leaders in the games getting progressively tougher. They choose their pokemon depending on how many badges the challenger has.

*rabble rabble* BW2 did it first and it was hinted in earlier games too *rabble rabble*

RaikuHebi

Banned
lol they cut out the Squirtle Bite. Funny since I thought it was surprisingly violent when I saw the Japanese version.

WTF his pronunciation of Rattatta is funny haha. And I didn't understand the Metapod thing when I watched the Japanese one but that blew my mind just now.

The choosing scene works better in the Japanese version when Oak asks Green if he'll pick Bulbasaur since it's type is his name, but he says he'll get a Squirtle instead. I guess they did an okay job working around that haha.
That felt so awkward when I watched because I saw him wearing green and it just didn't make sense in my head.

lol they cut out the Squirtle Bite. Funny since I thought it was surprisingly violent when I saw the Japanese version.

That felt so awkward when I watched because I saw him wearing green and it just didn't make sense in my head.

The bite was actually there, but the English version Charmander's screams/grunts were a lot less bloodcurdling.

I knew Green would be called Blue here, but it was weird since he was wearing green.

It was even weirder hearing Ichigo's voice from Brock, but I like it.

Ninjimbo

This is based of the first few minutes.

I'm kind of bothered by the art-style of the show. It looks like the old games, but the coloring somehow makes it look off. The animation doesn't look quite as good as Pokemon XY too. There's still a lot left to go so I'm withholding further judgement until I see the rest. I guess I just like the new art better.

Top Bottom