• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Origins (4-part special based on Red/Blue) to be streamed starting Nov. 15

Zalman

Loved the first episode. I don't care for the art style of the trainers, but the Pokémon look fine. Such a shame it's only four episodes long.

JB2448

Who did the dub? DuArt?
I don't think so, considering how all of the actors here seem based out of LA. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it was done by NYAV Post. Once again, that's only a guess, though. It may very well still have been DuArt.
What's the highest quality on the dubbed episodes? 480p?
576p, for some strange reason (the feel of high definition).

And yeah, if people are still having trouble getting the official Pokémon web player to work through either Pokemon.com or the official Pokémon TV iOS/Android app, I'll be linking to the originally uploaded files that both players source from of the next three parts directly as they come out. That should ensure that everyone who wants to watch it should have no difficulties in doing so.

L.O.R.D

anyone know when the OST will released ?
the OST that come with Pokemon XY only have 5 OSTs from this show
there is several OST not available

JB2448

Anyone have a link to the second episode? The app isn't working for me either.

If the app isn't working for you, try watching the first episode using this file.

Once again, the last three parts will be coming out on November 18th, 20th, and 22nd, as outlined here.

anyone know when the OST will released ?
the OST that come with Pokemon XY only have 5 OSTs from this show
there is several OST not available
Sadly, we have no idea if there will be any future releases that contain the rest of the Origins music.

Andrefpvs

Watched the first episode today.

My goodness, this is so good. The nostalgia I felt while watching was so real. Practically every sentence the characters say comes from the games as well.

It really transported me to my childhood.

NIGHT-

Ahh. This is so annoying. App crashes as soon as I open it on my iPhone. Site works pefect on my PC though. Loved the first episode!

Neiteio

Watched the first episode. Good stuff! Really does a great job of teaching the game, right down to String Shot lowering Onix's speed and giving Charmander priority despite the (presumed) level difference.

Bobshe

Neo Member
I'm not a fan of mixing the games and anime, it just didn't feel right. I do understand what they were going for though.

I guess the only thing that really stood out was Oak's voice, he sounded too normal for my taste.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm not a fan of mixing the games and anime, it just didn't feel right. I do understand what they were going for though.

I guess the only thing that really stood out was Oak's voice, he sounded too normal for my taste.

dat Bosch

Boss Doggie

Oh nice, I haven't played BW2 yet. What earlier games was it hinted in? I just remember being a kid it always stuck out to me that a gym leader like Brock could suck so much.

Cheren (your rival in BW) is freshly inaugurated as a gym leader and when you defeat him, he has a short frustration about how he "could've won if he uses his actual team and not the gym regulated team".

I actually enjoyed reading the japanese version subtitles more tbh. Seemed more intense/funny. Brock sounds like an idiot in the english translation.

god damn why is Red such a fucking loser in the first episode, hahaha

he watches Pokemon battles in his bedroom all day and has no idea what types are

TheOGB

Banned
Aw man, 270p :\

Cubone ;_;

edit: "Oh he's got 3 badges, now I know why he's so confident!" Hahahahahaha

Just saw the fist episode.
HOLY SHIT the new spanish voice for Oak is Jose Padilla YES! He is an amazing voice actor, I thought they were going to leave the old voices. Red and Blue are petty have pretty good voices too.
And why is Oak's lab a church lol

And Red still being a little ash in incompetence I see hahaha.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Why do awesome things always come out when I have exams.
You can't spare a 20 minute break? Go on treat yourself!

Just saw the fist episode.
HOLY SHIT the new spanish voice for Oak is Jose Padilla YES! He is an amazing voice actor, I thought they were going to leave the old voices. Red and Blue are petty have pretty good voices too.
And why is Oak's lab a church lol

And Red still being a little ash in incompetence I see hahaha.
No Banderas? Am dissapoint ;).

Here's a comparison of Charmander's scream in the English and Japanese versions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUFXIvan50w
I gotta say I did find it unsettling when I watched it last month.

No Banderas? Am dissapoint ;).

lol
In all seriousness, Bandera's is not a good voice actor. He only knows how to do the shrek cat voice, and every time you put him in something different in animations (or dubbing himself lol) he sounds terrible. He is so bad that when they need to dub an american movie where Bandera's appears they need to use another voice actor to do his voice instead of using him.

Zalman

Very disappointed in the second episode. They skipped all the great parts to focus on Lavender Town?! Knowing we're already halfway through the series really sucks.

Boss Doggie

When I first watched it last month I hoped this guy would have none of that stupidity. Nonetheless he's still much more competent and a badass, and to be fair his stupidity lasted an episode. Ash's continues to this day.

I hate Ash but Red is worse than Ash. The only time Ash sucked was in Kanto and Unova. Ash outside of Unova and Kanto would trash Origins Red.

Very disappointed in the second episode. They skipped all the great parts to focus on Lavender Town?! Knowing we're already halfway through the series really sucks.

And that's why Origins is, after all the nostalgia hype dies down, a pretty mediocre show. First episode is promising, but it's all downhill from then on.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I hate Ash but Red is worse than Ash. The only time Ash sucked was in Kanto and Unova. Ash outside of Unova and Kanto would trash Origins Red.

And that's why Origins is, after all the nostalgia hype dies down, a pretty mediocre show. First episode is promising, but it's all downhill from then on.
Explains why I think that way. I've only watched Kanto, Orange Islands and early Johto.

2nd episode was certainly weak but I suppose they chose it as it was the most "emotional" part of the game. The development of Giovani's character was well done in the short-time they had though.

Ideally I would've preferred the focus to be have been on Misty and Bill. Especially seeing as he had a Charmander it would've made a perfect "emotional" episode against Misty, where he would get advice from Bill. Snorlax would've been cool as well.

kitsuneyo

I watched all four a while ago. It's a bad series. So much of the story is glossed over, and the stories the episodes do focus on left me scratching my head as to why they were picked. Only episode I actually liked was the one about the haunted tower. Show is a waste.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I watched all four a while ago. It's a bad series. So much of the story is glossed over, and the stories the episodes do focus on left me scratching my head as to why they were picked. Only episode I actually liked was the one about the haunted tower. Show is a waste.
lol we're totally opposite. I hated the tower and preferred the Giovani storyline.

What's not to love about the Pokemon League and chasing Mewtwo!

This is probably crazy talk but I hope this gets popular enough that they consider making a whole series (with Yellow perhaps?) or Johto. Pipe dream for sure.

kitsuneyo

lol we're totally opposite. I hated the tower and preferred the Giovani storyline.

What's not to love about the Pokemon League and chasing Mewtwo!

This is probably crazy talk but I hope this gets popular enough that they consider making a whole series (with Yellow perhaps?) or Johto. Pipe dream for sure.

There just wasn't enough room to tell a good story. How did a loser like Red become champion? We don't get to know him enough to find out! If it had been a 22-part series, I'm sure it would've been way better! That's why to me it was a wasted opportunity.

Neoxon

Oak's voice was changed to Kyle Hebert (Ryu, Miles Edgeworth, Gohan, etc.). A surprising change, but a welcome one regardless.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Problem with this show is that it's a 4 episode series. There's too little time to do any good story building or give it a decent pace.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've only seen the Japanese version, and when my coworker told me today that they took out Charmander screaming, I was disappointed. It's meant to be a distressing moment. It's obvious you're supposed to be shouting "CALL HIM BACK RED YOU MORON!"

Boss Doggie

Which is weird because the other monster voices are there.

Explains why I think that way. I've only watched Kanto, Orange Islands and early Johto.

Yeah Ash was so good in Sinnoh that they have to have a legendary to beat him down... and he still took 2 of them!

JB2448

Episode 3 was posted, so here's the direct video file. It's 270p again, so "the dream is dead." (They're probably just going to put the entire thing on iTunes at some point, if I had to guess.)

In my opinion, the amount of progress Red makes in such a short period of time in comparison to Ash makes him the better Trainer in my mind, but it's all relative. I do like to think that Origins has more direction than the mainline Pokémon anime will ever have, but that's beside the point, I suppose.

Boss Doggie

Episode 3 was posted, so here's the direct video file. It's 270p again, so "the dream is dead." (They're probably just going to put the entire thing on iTunes at some point, if I had to guess.)

In my opinion, the amount of progress Red makes in such a short period of time in comparison to Ash makes him the better Trainer in my mind, but it's all relative. I do like to think that Origins has more direction than the mainline Pokémon anime will ever have, but that's beside the point, I suppose.

I'd argue that Red was more about catching than battling. And Origins was simply just "game in anime format" (regardless on how well that is done) whereas the anime is just a commercial.

I'd argue that Red was more about catching than battling. And Origins was simply just "game in anime format" (regardless on how well that is done) whereas the anime is just a commercial.
Yeah I feel like the only Pokemon Red has any attachment to besides Charizard is Jolteon, based on how his roster changes throughout the series, whereas Ash has closer bonds with all of his Pokemon.

It also seems far more realistic (well, for Pokemon anyway) for Ash to stumble through all the regions than for Red to become Pokemon champion in like 2 weeks

RaikuHebi

Banned
The original series was good though. Far less Pokemon of the day crap that ended up becoming routine by Johto (when I stopped watching). But I'll give you that most of the anime's life has been souless.

Yeah I feel like the only Pokemon Red has any attachment to besides Charizard is Jolteon, based on how his roster changes throughout the series, whereas Ash has closer bonds with all of his Pokemon.

It also seems far more realistic (well, for Pokemon anyway) for Ash to stumble through all the regions than for Red to become Pokemon champion in like 2 weeks
It wasn't 2 weeks we just didn't get to ses his journey in scrutinisi g detail like Ash's lol.

It wasn't 2 weeks we just didn't get to ses his journey in scrutinisi g detail like Ash's lol.
That's exaggerated but there's nothing to indicate Red (or any of the other game protagonists) have been on a considerably long journey. It's hard to believe a 10 year old kid can show up at the Elite Four and beat trainers like Lance who have been at it for years.

Red is not an average trainer though - every one of the game protagonists are unique in that they are one of the sole trainers within their region who simultaneously have the drive to catch/see a whole lot of Pokemon, as well as maintain a large team (or maybe train a single Pokemon a whole lot), and are able to overcome almost any trainer, gym leader, E4 member, etc.

Most other people in the game are the type to train a few Pokemon a little, or are the type to fight with their family's Pokemon or something. The most elite trainers that aren't in the E4 have like 2-4 Pokemon, and have been training for years. The game protags are practically prodigies in comparison.

JB2448

Ugh 270p?

I wanted to watch it on the big screen with my sister rather than huddle over my laptop.
Will streaming it on the website work through the Wii U browser?

Streaming that file will definitely work through the Wii U's internet browser, but I don't believe Pokemon.com's web player works. That file's the best quality you can get out of it anyway, so yeah, you can just select that file in the Wii U's internet browser, and it'll work as it should. 270p isn't too bad on the Wii U GamePad.

Top Bottom