• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
It's seriously embarrassing that instead of getting a mod to change the title, you used it as an extension for an attack on me. Over a title, Forever. Do you realize how ridiculous you look right now? You're like a four year old

Link Man

Banned
I work with people of disabilities at the Tobyhann Army Depot; we have several employees who have Asperger's and I work compassionately with them all the time. It is worth noting though that one of the key traits is that often they will get stuck on an idea or an argument and refuse to let it drop, until it changes their entire mood. Particularly SMALL things that absolutely have no importance whatsoever.

I think that is a suitable comparison to what happened over a title that I didn't even see get chosen :p
But you must understand, from their point of view you hijacked their OT and added your own title, after they decided on their own.

Amir0x

Banned
But you must understand, from their point of view you hijacked their OT and added your own title, after they decided on their own.

How did I hijack anything? The thread is 20,000 long, people were asking who was making the topic and nobody was agreeing to it! I didn't see the discussion about the title, I just rushed to put anything in so the mods didn't have to deal with an unstable thread.

Seriously, now, over 50 posts about a TITLE, that while not "clever" enough is completely inoffensive and nonpartisan. Christ.

Brinbe

Holycrap. Is anyone else watching FoxNews right now? They were going full bore on Obama needs a telepompter meme.

smfh, I thought they'd quit with that shit after everyone used one @ the RNC... guess those stands off to Romney's left and right were optional.
dErmg.jpg

120830_romney_rnc_speech.jpg

Idiots.

Forever

Banned
It's seriously embarrassing that instead of getting a mod to change the title, you used it as an extension for an attack on me. Over a title, Forever. Do you realize how ridiculous you look right now? You're like a four year old

It's not an extended attack on you and I find it bizarre that you're taking it that way.

Amir0x

Banned
What happen to the title?

I don't know but I hope Y2Kev changes it so we can MOVE ON, wow. Pettiest argument of all time on GAF.

Forever said:
It's not an extended attack on you and I find it bizarre that you're taking it that way.

You don't see how making a new thread simply for a title change, which could have been edited into this one, with the first post largely being taken up by quotes attacking a title instead of politics, can be seen as an attack?

Amir0x

Banned
"Romney had them, but he doesn't need them"

Do you guys think Candy will be able to coral Romney in a town hall style debate? Typically those tend to be even more handsoffish than what Jim Lehrer did, so he could get out of control

Link Man

Banned
Do you guys think Candy will be able to coral Romney in a town hall style debate? Typically those tend to be even more handsoffish than what Jim Lehrer did, so he could get out of control

I don't know, we all expected a big gaffe out of the first debate, and we didn't really get it. I say don't take anything for granted.

This was my contribution before the last thread got aborted:

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4| Only 53% of you are worthy enough to post here.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't know, we all expected a big gaffe out of the first debate, and we didn't really get it. I say don't take anything for granted.

I thought it was revealing that Candy said that no 'rehearshed' zingers popped out to her during the debate, despite reports that Romney had planned to do so:

What was 'trickle down government'?
What was 'You don't pick winners and losers, you pick losers!'

And so on and so forth. Candy is a bad reporter.

Tim-E

If we're going to get into spirited debates, have it be over something more important than a thread title.

WE'RE A FAMILY HERE

Amir0x

Banned
I think two mods must have locked this thread at the same time because I saw it locked and then suddenly unlocked?

Edit: THANK YOU MOD. Apologies for not hearing the title discussion, I genuinely missed it.

You gotta hand it to Republicans. They quickly poisoned the well with the latest job numbers. They actually got the mainstream media to add "but some out there dispute these numbers" at the end of almost all their reporting. There's absolutely zero evidence of the numbers being doctored but the media are giving the blatant false and ludicrous charges a huge megafone.

Again, you gotta give Republicans credit for making a lemonade like substance out of dog shit.

Amir0x

Banned
You gotta hand it to Republicans. They quickly poisoned the well with the latest job numbers. They actually got the mainstream media to add "but some out there dispute these numbers" at the end of almost all their reporting. There's absolutely zero evidence of the numbers being doctored but the media are giving the blatant false and ludicrous charges a huge megafone.

Again, you gotta give Republicans credit for making a lemonade like substance out of dog shit.

If the Republicans try to spin this and rub off on Romney, he can be seen as an endless pessimist, and Americans tend to like optimism more than negativity on the average

Although it seems they've already backed away from the theory, as Forever pointed out.

Tim-E

NPR didn't during the news this evening. They reported that people believed the numbers were cooked, but the reporter stated several times that this was a complete falsehood.

Amir0x

Banned
More like "Politics, meh" for the average American, amirite?

Speaking of

Do you think America should make a move toward voting on, say, the internet and on smart phones? Maybe you can register with a special fingerprint, and then you can utilize it to verify your identity before a vote?

Or would this be too risky and open to hacking and therefore impossible?

There has to be some way to get significantly more Americans to vote...

Stinkles said:

Oh yeah, perfect!

Wait!?

Speaking of

Do you think America should make a move toward voting on, say, the internet and on smart phones? Maybe you can register with a special fingerprint, and then you can utilize it to verify your identity before a vote?

The security risk there would be too great. There needs to be some sort of universal voting registration. That and make election day a holiday. Maybe make early voting available in all states. Those things would greatly help turnout.

Amir0x

Banned
The security risk there would be too great. There needs to be some sort of universal voting registration. That and make election day a holiday. Maybe make early voting available in all states. Those things would greatly help turnout.

Election Day as a holiday would be great. Because the reason for Tuesday elections is totally outdated, I think there needs to be serious discussion about how to change the elections for a Modern Day world. It's really antiquated at this point, especially as the population continues to grow.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I think it's risky, both because of the possibility of hacking/abuse and the fact that while you would get more people to vote, I question if the quality of voter would suffer. I mean, right now, you have to make an effort to vote, which means that you probably care and have paid at least SOME attention. If you could download an app and vote, I wonder if we'd get basically a real world representation of online polls. So reddit and stuff would become disproportionally influential.

Amir0x

Banned
I think it's risky, both because of the possibility of hacking/abuse and the fact that while you would get more people to vote, I question if the quality of voter would suffer. I mean, right now, you have to make an effort to vote, which means that you probably care and have paid at least SOME attention. If you could download an app and vote, I wonder if we'd get basically a real world representation of online polls. So reddit and stuff would become disproportionally influential.

Do you believe some 'difficulty' needs to be built into the role of voting in order to determine eligibility to vote? Don't you think that's a pretty slippery idea if applied in the sense that it might mean: those with less education and poorer communities would suffer disproportionately to such ideas, would you not agree?

Amir0x

Banned
UGH

but if Forever was Cersei, I'd feel her up. I admit it.

*shifty eyes*

please don't read neoGAF Jules, please don't read neoGAF

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Do you believe some 'difficulty' needs to be built into the role of voting in order to determine eligibility to vote? Don't you think that's a pretty slippery idea if applied in the sense that it might mean: those with less education and poorer communities would suffer disproportionately to such ideas, would you not agree?

No, I don't think adding difficulty is what I'm getting at, since the current system is fine by me. I just wonder what will happen to the process of selecting political candidates if voting requires absolutely no effort exerted at all. Also, because voting will not be supervised and you necessarily be alone, what role could coercion play? I mean, can my dad make me vote for Romney on my smartphone if I'm 18?

Amir0x

Banned
No, I'd have had an abortion.

lol

No, I don't think adding difficulty is what I'm getting at, since the current system is fine by me. I just wonder what will happen to the process of selecting political candidates if voting requires absolutely no effort exerted at all. Also, because voting will not be supervised and you necessarily be alone, what role could coercion play? I mean, can my dad make me vote for Romney on my smartphone if I'm 18?

Ah, interesting point about potential 'coercion.' But, I do believe that if someone like your dad was influencing you to change your vote, that can still pretty much happen even if you voted the regular way. Family tends to have some effect on many people.

I just think that the role of the government when it comes to voting should be to make the process as easy as possible, and obviously as safe as possible. I don't think, in a world with ever improving technology, that the two goals cannot meet in some way with regards to online voting. The internet is as ubiquitous as it gets, seems it's the fastest route to ensuring an extra 50 million vote at least.

Attach a lottery to voting, one random voter wins the jackpot.

Lines would be enormous.

Haha, bribing voters ftw

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Friday night PoliGAF is some of the oddest PoliGAF. We need irrelevant news to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom