• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
w332p.png

Oh Fox News, you so silly!

Lies about lies about lies.

rDZrn.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Friday night PoliGAF is some of the oddest PoliGAF. We need irrelevant news to discuss.

GAF's liberal link of choice reports: "Paul Ryan lets down birthers

But unlike some in his party who have been embarrassed by their own clunky and awkward responses to the birthers, Ryan has come up with an easy solution to deal with them.

He simply sends them a copy of the president’s birth certificate.

In response to questions from TPM this week, Ryan’s office provided copies of the form letters his staff has used over the years to respond to questions about the president’s citizenship. Polite and measured if not a little dry, the letters break the bad news to the birthers in the kindest possible terms.

Finally something to compliment Ryan about! And he one upped Romney's behavior on the subject at least

Amir0x

Banned
Maybe I'll start posting now, but I need a schtick. However, it seems all the bases are covered. :(

Maybe I'll be Energy Guy.

You'll instantly stand out if you try to take the place of Kosmo or Mandark, but just be less disingenuous about the arguments you make

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Ha, watching Greta on Fox News, they are talking about Biden's latest "gaffe".

Biden in a speech says something to the effect of "Romney/Ryan say we are pushing for a tax hike. Yes we are!" before going on to explain its a push to raise taxes on the wealthy and avoid an increasing burden on the middle class.

Greta has positioned this as a gaffe, saying straight up, because it allows the GOP and media to cut off his quote at the point where he agrees Obama/Biden are advocating a tax hike. "It's a gaffe because we will report it out of context and exploit it unfairly for political points!"

Amazing.

About 2/3rds of Minnesota Republicans on the 1st night of our poll say they think the BLS manipulated the unemployment numbers to help Obama
PPP

Damn, it's amazing how quickly and how far these things spread.

Jackson50

I intended to post these earlier, but I had to leave abruptly. And when I returned a new thread had been created. So I'm posting here.
I didn't realize it was an online poll yesterday. But seriously? I've always discounted online polls.
Not all online polls warrant disregard. YouGov (Polimetrix) has developed an algorithm that enables them to conduct scientific online polls. Their performance is comparable to traditional pollsters.
We keep tip-toeing around the real question, which is what kind of weight do you assign the political events that have happened recently? For instance on a 10 point scale with 10 being very important and 1 having no effect, how would you weigh the following:

Scenario - My Weight

The "47%" comment - 9

Winning the first debate - 4

Unemployment under 8% - 7

If you asked me, then I would say I rather lose the first debate if I could get my opponent to make a comment like the "47%". I would also give up the first debate if unemployment dipped below 8%. Because the thing about the debate is that there are two more, and I just set the bar extremely low for me to win the next one.
I'm generally disinclined from evaluating elections in this manner. Attempting to parse a campaign often results in assigning inordinate significance to a triviality. Not that the practice is always invalid. For example, the rape comment by Akin yielded a pronounced shift in the race. Otherwise, campaigns are usually too complex to reasonably evaluate in this manner. With events occurring simultaneously, a shift of a few points is usually insufficient to deduce the significance of one. Although, I am occasionally consumed by the frenzy of election season.

Alternatively, I examine the broad features of the election. These have been demonstrated to exert considerable influence on outcomes. And this is why, in addition to the data indicating the limited import of presidential debates, I'm bullish on Obama's prospects. For example, the importance of economic performance, which is a prime election fundamental, cannot be understated. And the economy has been a modest advantage for Obama. Were the economy faltering, I'd be anxious. But the data has been positive, even if underwhelming, for two years. Additionally, campaign organizations are highly important. They provide the infrastructure for canvassing and other GOTV efforts that can yield considerable benefits. Of the myriad campaign activities, from phone banks to advertising, canvassing and other personal contact efforts yield the greatest results. And a strong campaign organization is essential to engage in those efforts. And the data exhibit a distinct advantage for Obama. This provides Obama with a greater capacity to stimulate the Democratic base and attract other voters. And as I've noted, it's one of the reasons he's outperforming Romney with undecided voters.

Loudninja

Buried in the other topic

Appeals Court Rules Ohio Must Make Early Voting Available To All Voters
"The State’s asserted goal of accommodating the unique situation of members of the military, who may be called away at a moment’s notice in service to the nation, is certainly a worthy and commendable goal," the court ruled. "However, while there is a compelling reason to provide more opportunities for military voters to cast their ballots, there is no corresponding satisfactory reason to prevent non-military voters from casting their ballots as well."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/appeals-court-rules-ohio-must-make-early-voting

Amir0x

Banned
Man Republicans can't catch many breaks on their attempt to stifle voting, eh?

As I said in the other thread, in early Jan 2012 I said if unemployment goes under 7.8% before election day he will be re-elected. We are at exactly 7.8%, so that makes me very excited indeed.

Loudninja

Man Republicans can't catch many breaks on their attempt to stifle voting, eh?

As I said in the other thread, in early Jan 2012 I said if unemployment goes under 7.8% before election day he will be re-elected. We are at exactly 7.8%, so that makes me very excited indeed.
Yep its pretty sad really.

They lost 2 big arguments today.

HylianTom

Banned
I can see some people calming down after the initial shock and going "hey that wasn't that bad"

But Obama winning? Not so sure.

I can agree with that. I'd never claim that Obama won. But Romney "won" mainly by virtue of being a dishonest ass.

Apparently Obama's initial reaction to the debate wasn't very nice either..
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82091.html

How Obama reset his campaign

Nobody had to tell President Barack Obama he had whiffed when he walked off the stage in Denver Wednesday night — nor was he in the mood for a lot of advice.

“You could tell he was pissed,” said a person close to the president, “But it wasn’t like the end of the world. It was like, ‘That wasn’t good. The next one has to better.’ No apologies. No hand-wringing.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82091.html#ixzz28U3e1RJX

---

Spec is heavy on that point. Go for it and show us how you will differentiate yourself!
Yup. I was thinking - no one can challenge him on that area.

Brinbe

I can agree with that. I'd never claim that Obama won. But Romney won mainly by virtue of being a dishonest ass.

---

Yup. I was thinking - no one can challenge him on that area.
Not surprising, we know he's self-aware enough to acknowledge that he wasn't good enough and needs to kick the shit out of Romney in a few weeks.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Maybe I'll start posting now, but I need a schtick. However, it seems all the bases are covered. :(

Maybe I'll be Energy Guy.

I've been lurking for months now and I may start posting too. No pre-planned schtick though. I could go Manos-lite, but I don't think I have it in me.

Honestly, if I ever ran for office, I wouldn't bother playing nice with the media. I would regularly call them out for their tendencies to try to achieve balance in coverage, not by offering actual honest coverage, but by trying to contort the facts into making everyone out into a liar.

2/3 of Minnesota Republicans likely live in Michele Bachmann's district.

Isn't it looking likely that she's about to lose her district?

I guess there aren't a lot of Republicans in Minnesota anymore.

I can agree with that. I'd never claim that Obama won. But Romney "won" mainly by virtue of being a dishonest ass.

It’s a cliché in his camp that Obama only feels really motivated when his own destruction is in sight...

Obama totally strikes me as that kinda person...he has to be challenged before he gets mentally into it.

He plays basketball and a LOT of ball players are like that--don't go all out until it seems like the game might be in question.

THEN they go hard.

Jackson50

Just post as you like and you will fit right in.

Do I have a schtick?
Indeed. If you're reasonable and cordial, you'll distinguish yourself. If you have insight on a particular topic as a few do, then indulge it. But don't force it.

No. You're a quality poster, though. Some shticks heavily detract from the thread; e.g., Kosmo, PhoenixDark, and GhaleonEB.
Buried in the other topic

Appeals Court Rules Ohio Must Make Early Voting Available To All Voters

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/appeals-court-rules-ohio-must-make-early-voting
This highlights the importance of judicial appointees besides the SCOTUS. Presuming he doesn't compensate in the next term, the dilatory pace of appointments will be one of the greater failures of Obama's first term.

HylianTom

Banned
This highlights the importance of judicial appointees besides the SCOTUS. Presuming he doesn't compensate in the next term, the dilatory pace of appointments will be one of the greater failures of Obama's first term.

Indeed.

And imagine if those filibuster reforms really go through. With the GOP no longer able to hold-up confirmations, Obama would be able to leave a huge mark on the courts. We'd be thanking our lucky stars for his nominees decades from now.

Amir0x

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPgfzknYd20

Obama camp should turn this into an ad of some sort and play it nationally.

I think even more than Bain and 47%, Obama really missed an opportunity to highlight the depth and boldness of Romney's eternally shifting positions. He tried once, and it was probably his best segment of the night, but on virtually every chance there was no pushback on the wild claims Romney was making. When you don't fight back, low information voters naturally assume the challenger used a true statistic or whatever.

In debate #2, Obama has to be prepared to counter every one of Romney's 'changes' with proof that he has held two, three, four... sometimes five separate stances on individual issues. So that means memorizing Romney's stances on any given issue of the moment, and then going all Bill Clinton explaining how Romney's position has 'evolved.'

Jackson50

Indeed.

And imagine if those filibuster reforms really go through. With the GOP no longer able to hold-up confirmations, Obama would be able to leave a huge mark on the courts. We'd be thanking our lucky stars for his nominees decades from now.
Definitely. Obama's partially responsible, but you can't overstate the effect of Republican obstruction. The filibuster has permitted them to diminish his judicial legacy. It has to end.

XenodudeX

I think even more than Bain and 47%, Obama really missed an opportunity to highlight the depth and boldness of Romney's eternally shifting positions. He tried once, and it was probably his best segment of the night, but on virtually every chance there was no pushback on the wild claims Romney was making. When you don't fight back, low information voters naturally assume the challenger used a true statistic or whatever.

In debate #2, Obama has to be prepared to counter every one of Romney's 'changes' with proof that he has held two, three, four... sometimes five separate stances on individual issues. So that means memorizing Romney's stances on any given issue of the moment, and then going all Bill Clinton explaining how Romney's position has 'evolved.'

That sounds like a very difficult task.

Tim-E

No. You're a quality poster, though.

Thanks! Over time I've tried to be more analytical in my positions and I find myself not being as reactionary and receptive to the much of what the left pushes as I was a few years ago. I've hoped that I am a better poster for it.

Some shticks heavily detract from the thread; e.g., Kosmo, PhoenixDark, and GhaleonEB

:lol

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Why the hell is this guy on the House Science Committee?

Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) tore into scientists as tools of the devil in a speech at the Liberty Baptist Church Sportsman’s Banquet last month.

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

According to Broun, the scientific plot was primarily concerned with hiding the true age of the Earth. Broun serves on the House Science Committee, which came under scrutiny recently after another one of its Republican members, Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO), suggested that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses against pregnancy.

“You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth,” he said. “I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.”

I hate my home state sometimes.

No. You're a quality poster, though. Some shticks heavily detract from the thread; e.g., Kosmo, PhoenixDark, and GhaleonEB.This highlights the importance of judicial appointees besides the SCOTUS. Presuming he doesn't compensate in the next term, the dilatory pace of appointments will be one of the greater failures of Obama's first term.

Hah! You've been hilarious lately.

CHEEZMO™;42906429 said:
Kosmo was a unifying force. With him gone, PoliGAF begins to turn inwards.

Fuck you, buddy!

Amir0x

Banned
That sounds like a very difficult task.

It is, but those are the stakes in an election like this. He cannot afford to be knocked over time and time again due to a perpetual defensive strategy. Obama needs to be proud of his accomplishments and equally familiar with his opponents near endless tap dancing to try to appeal to every demographics while promising everything to no one and nothing to everyone.

If in the end Obama doesn't hit him hard, the election is going to be much closer than it has to be.

MasterShotgun said:
“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said.

War on intellectualism continues. Embarrassing stuff. Now THIS should be a test to determine eligibility to run for office, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Yeah, that Barack Obama. Horrible Foreign Policy President.

As recently as five or six years ago, there was a real ideological contest. A wildly unpopular American president prone to military adventurism helped Mr. Chávez rally the continent against Washington. One country after the next joined the radical axis. First Bolivia, then Nicaragua, Honduras and Ecuador, joined a growing roll call of radicals in 2005 and 2006.

Now the political landscape is almost entirely transformed. Barack Obama’s 2008 victory badly undermined the radicals’ ability to rally opposition to gringo imperialism. Meanwhile, the alternative was becoming increasingly attractive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/06/opinion/how-hugo-chavez-became-irrelevant.html?hp

I'll put that up against fucking Libya any day. Heck, I'll even put that up against Osama Bin Laden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom