• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1608

Banned
I am hoping Trump picks Carson.
Well, I've kept Carson in mind. Seems like a wild pick these days but it could happen.
Mary Fallin is the worst, he's got to pick her.
Jesus. What a piece of work!
The Keepin' it 1600 podcast made a joke about a possible Jim Webb pick, it's both funny and kinda terrifying.
Lmao. To be fair to Webb, he's still a decent step up from Trump and would be preferable to him. A true centrist democrat and relic from the 90s if I've ever seen one.

Crocodile

Yeah, this is why I think working with Bernie is going to prove difficult.

Hillary and Bernie aren't much different ideologically. And where they DO differ has a lot to do with Hillary understanding what can actually be accomplished versus Bernie's head being in the clouds. Her ideas ARE his ideas...just doused in a coating of realism.To take on most of his main campaign proposals would be exchanging her ideas for something she knows won't work.

Yeah, see this is the big problem. On stuff like campaign finance reform, the Clinton campaign already agrees with him so its not like that is much of a concession. On most other points Sanders is just straight up wrong because he has bad idea or because he has good ideas but a bad plan to get there. So its hard to make concessions when that would just be adapting bad policy. For someone in politics as long as Sanders, I don't get why some of his positions seem so.......off?

Yeah, I really hope that Sanders' anti free trade views stay away from the platform. I could see Clinton agreeing about campaign finance reform and possibly about rule changes eliminating superdelegates or at least reduce their numbers but I don't think that would be enough to cause him to drop out early.

Pretty much every aspect of the Democratic nomination process Sanders has rallied against are just him making excuses for why he lost. He has more delegates than he should by his popular vote and literally every way you work out the math to his favor or whatever superdelegate argument you make has him still losing bad. It's just a sore loser being sore. The only real changes I would suggest would be stuff like same-day registration (if you are new to a party) and maybe a month deadline to switch parties but those are all up to the States. Caucuses are also really fucking weird to me but that's also a state decision right?

His path right now looks about as likely as Bernie Sanders chance of winning the democratic nomination. Unfortunatly he's only an october surprise away from the presidency.

An economic October surprise, possibly. I'm pretty sure any kind of foreign crisis including a terrorist attack would boost Hillary.

If Bernie refuses to budge... then he can enjoy getting nothing.

Yet again I see my facebook friends talking about another 'Bernie upset' based entirely on bad polling. Just as with the last two 'upsets' Clinton has still hit her 538 path to victory targets.

So... yeah. 'Upset'. Bernie won a state by as much as he needed to if he was in a 50:50 race with Clinton. That's a fantastic result for the hypothetical Bernie who is only 29 delegates behind Clinton. Not so much for the one who is practically ten times that behind.

There's going to be a lot of discussion in the next month or so about who did or didn't successfully call Trump grabbing the nomination, and I think there's a couple important distinctions to be drawn within that conversation: namely the difference between Trump getting the most votes, and Trump getting the nomination.

Many of us here, myself included, saw Trump getting the most votes as far back as...well, September really. Not with 100% certitude obviously, but Trump winning became my "expected result" pretty quickly once I saw what was happening. What wasn't clear to anyone, analysts included, is just how much fuckery the GOP would or wouldn't get up to to stop him. No-one could really predict that, because it lies in the hands of a (relative) handful of people.
That's maybe the most shocking thing to me about Cruz's concession. I fully believe that if he thought he had a chance at duking it out at the convention he'd still be in it. I think he got word from somewhere that whatever support he was counting on going into the convention just wasn't coalescing.

Agreed. I honestly think they would have fought harder against Trump and would have wrested the nomination from him, had they thought they actually had a viable alternative. But it simply wasn't worth doing if it led to Ted Cruz. This was over for them once Rubio cratered. That's when I went from "Trump will get the most votes" to "Trump will be the nominee."

ampere

So... yeah. 'Upset'. Bernie won a state by as much as he needed to if he was in a 50:50 race with Clinton. That's a fantastic result for the hypothetical Bernie who is only 29 delegates behind Clinton. Not so much for the one who is practically ten times that behind.

Math is a tool of the establishment. Down with math! They're just throwing a temper tantrum at this point

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for every (R) running to have to answer straight up if they support Trump.

What a time.

"He's not my choice, and I've made my problems with him clearly known, but for better or worse he's our nominee, and is better than Clinton"

There's way to soften it. I don't know if that one "better than clinton" statement is going to be as disqualifying as Democrats hope.

NeoXChaos

Winners will be announced soon. You will be PM'd. PoliGAF 2016 OT6 will be the start of your recognition.

Don't ask me about tags.

Plinko 8/19/15
B-Dubs 8/19/15
Poodlestrike 8/19/15
Jack Remington 8/19/15
Makai 8/19/15
SourShoes 8/19/15
Aaron Strife 8/31/15
Fenderputty 8/31/15
HylianTom 8/31/15
RastaMentality 9/10/15
brainchild 9/13/15
Melkr_ 9/20/15
RustyNails 9/21/15
Avon Barksdale 9/27/15
tanod 9/28/15
eBay Huckster 9/30/15
Coriolanus 10/2/15
zou 10/2/15
NsQuote 10/2/15
Samarecarm 10/2/15
Ecotic 10/2/15
SL128 10/2/15
Brookshi 10/2/15

Yet again I see my facebook friends talking about another 'Bernie upset' based entirely on bad polling. Just as with the last two 'upsets' Clinton has still hit her 538 path to victory targets.

All I ever heard from the respective camps on the news leading up to IN was a Clinton loss and a Sanders win, which I thought was weird considering the polling but clearly they both knew the story.

PBY

Banned

I can't really get mad at people categorizing this as an "upset" considering I've seen like 4+ sites today talking about his Indy win as a "shocking upset" or huge turn.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Winners will be announced soon. You will be PM'd. PoliGAF 2016 OT6 will be the start of your recognition.

Don't ask me about tags.

But Kasich's still alive! He has friends on the Convention Rule Committee!

edit:

Congrats, Trump believers

HylianTom

Banned
CNN has Hillary's favorability at a -1% in their latest poll, a pretty decent improvement. I want to know if this is an outlier, or something real.

And I see that folks are still holding-onto the idea that Pennsylvania go red this year. That joke never gets old..

I'm not sure what "policy" concessions could even be adopted that would be tenable for the Party in the GE.

Arbitrarily break up the banks? Not a chance.
No new trade deals, roll back trade deals? Nope.
Immediate attempt at massive health care overhaul? Ha.

Crocodile

I can't really get mad at people categorizing this as an "upset" considering I've seen like 4+ sites today talking about his Indy win as a "shocking upset" or huge turn.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the cries of "momentum". "Momentum" hasn't meant shit on the Democratic side. It's all been demographics from day 1. Demographics are what predict wins not "momentum"

"He's not my choice, and I've made my problems with him clearly known, but for better or worse he's our nominee, and is better than Clinton"

There's way to soften it. I don't know if that one "better than clinton" statement is going to be as disqualifying as Democrats hope.

It'll be more about whatever he says going forward. They can sorta say that right now as the party has internalized / repressed the shit he's already said, but good luck having to comment on and defend every nugget of fresh idiocy out of him.

CNN has Hillary's favorability at a -1% in their latest poll, a pretty decent improvement. I want to know if this is an outlier, or something real.

One good thing about the e-mail bullshit is that it's artificially dragging her down and it has an expiration date. I don't think her favorables will ever be AMAZING but whatever they really are now, they're guaranteed some kind of lift.

Plumbob

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the cries of "momentum". "Momentum" hasn't meant shit on the Democratic side. It's all been demographics from day 1. Demographics are what predict wins not "momentum"

Plus it seems Bernie overperforms in open primaries by 5-20%

Drek

Also, I feel like I've seen a lot of posters say "Bernie should drop out now, he's hurting the party" who then say "Why should Hillary give any policy concessions to Sanders? He lost, he has no negotiating power!" I'm not sure how someone can simultaneously hold both of those positions. If there's a thing that you want someone to do, they pretty much have negotiating power by definition. I'm sure if one gave Sanders enough concessions, one could get him to bow out quickly and gracefully, with an endorsement.

I think Clinton should start by offering Sanders the Secretary of Labor position in collaboration with stronger pro-union and pro-labor stances within the party platform.

Doing that, I think, would get him to budge on the banks. Especially if she also offers him a seat in discussing the next Bureau of Consumer Protection after Cordray. Giving Sanders a cabinet position is also a viable bargaining chip as Vermont has a Dem governor and is likely to elect another one when Shumlin steps down at the end of this year.

And I see that folks are still holding-onto the idea that Pennsylvania go red this year. That joke never gets old..

Her favourablity might improve when it is just Clinton vs Trump, and it also looks like she might win so some independents and most Democrats are now looking at her better.

dramatis

It's somewhat funny how Cruz dropping out has completely overtaken the media in the form of "Trump is the nominee" and the associated fallout with that news.

I think Hillary would be willing to put something in the platform about a $15 minimum wage....as long as it's wrapped in poli-speak to really mean $12 at the federal level. She's not going to agree to single payer because it's not going to happen. Plus, I believe that healthcare as a right has been part of our official platform for a while now, hasn't it? The breaking up the banks thing is...no. Just no.

With Trump being the nominee there is not going to be a will in the party to get rid of Super Delegates, especially since she's going to have a majority of pledged anyway. We're also not going to try to change the schedule by penalizing states that want to go on Super Tuesday or whenever, provided they go after Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina.

Part of the reason Bernie doesn't have as much capital to spend here is that he's not a member of the party. He doesn't have decades worth of clout that makes the DNC/Party want to change rules to appease him. That's the issue with being an Independent. You don't get to try and force changes because you want them without having taken lumps with the rest of us for years.

studyguy

Vince McMahon is the Trump VP.
Gonna finally get my stone cold theme breaking out during an argument this way.
faobjuF.gif

Bowdz

Normally yes, but Bernie hasn't demonstrated the will and/or skill to weild that on a national level from the Senate thus far. He, specifically, has not been a powerful Senator

His stock publically has certainly risen considerably after this election cycle. He will now have a platform to speak and be heard for quite some time.

Also, in case anyone keeps track of this stuff....

Before last night, Bernie needed 64.3% of the remaining delegates to get a majority. After winning Indiana, he now needs 65.3%.

I'm not sure what "policy" concessions could even be adopted that would be tenable for the Party in the GE.

Arbitrarily break up the banks? Not a chance.
No new trade deals, roll back trade deals? Nope.
Immediate attempt at massive health care overhaul? Ha.

Is breaking up the banks not a popular notion among the general voting population? I thought it was. I mean, look at the platform now. It's not like they're specific policy proposals. Including something like "the President will make efforts to identify banks that are too big to fail and break them up" wouldn't even be a big departure from what's already there, and it also wouldn't be a strong commitment to an idea that might not be politically possible, nor the best course of action. It's the same for a lot of the stuff Sanders wants. It's mostly in the platform, and the language could just be strengthened. The platform already talks about making college affordable, providing healthcare to Americans, and campaign finance reform. You could adopt Sanders' language without really changing much of the platform at all. Sort of new coat of paint on ideas that are pretty much already in the platform.

Although, now I'm maybe talking myself into a corner. If those things being in the platform would make Sanders drop out, and those things are already pretty much planks today, then why hasn't he already? I guess I don't know.

I think Clinton should start by offering Sanders the Secretary of Labor position in collaboration with stronger pro-union and pro-labor stances within the party platform.

Doing that, I think, would get him to budge on the banks. Especially if she also offers him a seat in discussing the next Bureau of Consumer Protection after Cordray. Giving Sanders a cabinet position is also a viable bargaining chip as Vermont has a Dem governor and is likely to elect another one when Shumlin steps down at the end of this year.

See, this sounds like an interesting idea. She'll need to new Labor Sec when Perez is VP anyway.

benjipwns

Banned
Normally yes, but Bernie hasn't demonstrated the will and/or skill to weild that on a national level from the Senate thus far. He, specifically, has not been a powerful Senator
But he's demonstrated the will and skill to be an appointed team player in an administrative executive department.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Agreed. I honestly think they would have fought harder against Trump and would have wrested the nomination from him, had they thought they actually had a viable alternative. But it simply wasn't worth doing if it led to Ted Cruz. This was over for them once Rubio cratered. That's when I went from "Trump will get the most votes" to "Trump will be the nominee."

The GOP fell prey to game theory. Everyone was waiting for everyone else to drop out so that they could get the unified anti-Trump GOP vote. Since no one did until it was too late; Trump secured his path. The flaw was assuming the GOP leaders had actual control of their party. They obviously did not.

I think it's at a fairly high point; it'll rise until the convention, and then once the GE attacks start, both Clinton and Trump's favorables will drop.

Fox318

faobjuF.gif

McMahon had a great love affair with cocaine that may or may not have ever subsided; "he liked to brag with apparent justification that 'I can snort as much of that stuff as anyone can put in front of me and never get hooked."

The GOP fell prey to game theory. Everyone was waiting for everyone else to drop out so that they could get the unified anti-Trump GOP vote. Since no one did until it was too late; Trump secured his path. The flaw was assuming the GOP leaders had actual control of their party. They obviously did not.

I think it's at a fairly high point; it'll rise until the convention, and then once the GE attacks start, both Clinton and Trump's favorables will drop.

I don't think Trump's are going to get much lower. I mean, I don't want to sell the man short. He could totally manage to piss off more people...but I doubt it.

Hillary's also winning Independents in the CNN poll. By a healthy margin.

Hehehehehehe.

It was a situation where, if every person does what's the best for them in the short term, and them alone, then the worst possible outcome happens for all of them. This should seem familiar, as just about every GOP policy proposal is the same way. It's the Tragedy of the Commons.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
faobjuF.gif

Trump could use someone so perfectly in touch with what the youths want.

Armaros

I don't think Trump's are going to get much lower. I mean, I don't want to sell the man short. He could totally manage to piss off more people...but I doubt it.

Hehehehehehe.

Adam is back woo.

Also just in time for the OT diabolsing.

studyguy

Hehehehehehe.

There's plenty of time, but I'd be willing to agree. His woman card bs not too long ago makes me think that regardless of how his PR team tries to get a handle on him, occasionally he'll get lose and shoot his mouth off every now and then. Maybe he will moderate to avoid pissing more people off though, his crazy moments used to be almost daily, now the biggest gaffes are at least weekly.

I have a feeling r/politics is exactly where it will be the entire general right now.

Basically a huge mess of pro-Trump, anti-Hillary, with some reasonable articles, Bernie being entirely ignored, and random special snowflakes who feel the need to post "I'm voting Stein" in every single thread.

Good times are coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom