• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
NBC/Survey Monkey is one of the more solid outlets. It is honestly kind of surprising how close the gen election polling is.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Those polls will free fall once again when PACs remind voters Trump called mexicans, hispanics in general really, rapists, drug dealers and murderers all over tv. Not to mention all the other as of now unaired dirt he has.

Or like canceling cause someone spoke spanish, OMG how dare they.

HylianTom

Banned
NBC/Survey Monkey is one of the more solid outlets. It is honestly kind of surprising how close the gen election polling is.
I'm not really. Trump's going to get at least 45% of the vote in November. This election is going to be a sad eye-opener. After near-ideal conditions for Dems in 2008, facing a ticket with Palin on it, with a once-in-a-generation nominee on our side, I wouldn't be surprised if 45-46% is his base.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not. Republicans always come home. Always. It's so ridiculous how people talk about fracturing in that party; the mechanisms that drive them are always so much more effective in unifying and motivating the party than what we've seen with democrats, for example.

I'm okay with the results so far. I thought I'd be more nervous. Clinton maintains her favorability edge with both Trump and petulant Bernie attacking her and is still up despite trump's nomination bump. If there's not a 2 point swing or so post Clinton wrapping it up (hopefully tonight) I'd be a little more worried.

I'm impressed at how Cruz dropped out early once it was obvious there was no path for him. He could easily have stuck it out and tried to make it about issues at the core of conservatism. But he didn't. Gee.

I'm not. Republicans always come home. Always. It's so ridiculous how people talk about fracturing in that party; the mechanisms that drive them are always so much more effective in unifying and motivating the party than what we've seen with democrats, for example.

I'm okay with the results so far. I thought I'd be more nervous. Clinton maintains her favorability edge with both Trump and petulant Bernie attacking her and is still up despite trump's nomination bump. If there's not a 2 point swing or so post Clinton wrapping it up (hopefully tonight) I'd be a little more worried.

I'm impressed at how Cruz dropped out early once it was obvious there was no path for him. He could easily have stuck it out and tried to make it about issues at the core of conservatism. But he didn't. Gee.
He didn't drop out until it was mathematically impossible for him to win. If he was as close to Trump as Sanders is to Clinton he would still be going.

He was at a much lower chance of winning and still in the race.

So no, he didn't drop early at all. He only dropped once he'd lost, and it became clear that Republicans were going to support the person with the most delegates even if they didn't have a majority.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

If we're gonna see a big Clinton bump it's likely going to be after the convention. Need to give the Bernie supporters time to come home.

Makai

Yeah, Cruz stuck it out long after he was eliminated. No good reason for Bernie to drop out as long as the money rolls in and Hillary gives platform concessions.

Fuchsdh

Those polls will free fall once again when PACs remind voters Trump called mexicans, hispanics in general really, rapists, drug dealers and murderers all over tv. Not to mention all the other as of now unaired dirt he has.

I honestly don't think so. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump got a lot of support from immigrants who came here legally and *do* see the illegal waves as a bunch of rapists and criminals at worst, cheats and line-skippers at best. I can empathize with their frustration that they played the game and a politician would reward those who broke the rules, although i feel like no one ever said "hey let's make the legal immigration system easier", except maybe Rubio.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
He didn't drop out until it was mathematically impossible for him to win. If he was as close to Trump as Sanders is to Clinton he would still be going.

He was at a much lower chance of winning and still in the race.

So no, he didn't drop early at all. He only dropped once he'd lost, and it became clear that Republicans were going to support the person with the most delegates even if they didn't have a majority.

That's not true. He stayed in for a while after he was eliminated. The whole plan was to deny trump the necessary delegates. That's why he was doing all that work on the second ballot.

He dropped once it was clear there would be no second ballot. Like with the democrats right now!

Edit: maybe we are saying the same thing

Bowdz

Yeah, Cruz stuck it out long after he was eliminated. No good reason for Bernie to drop out as long as the money rolls in and Hillary gives platform concessions.

Beyond campaign finance reform and maybe infrastructure spending, she shouldn't give Bernie a goddamn thing at this point. Ship's sailed brah.

That's not true. He stayed in for a while after he was eliminated. The whole plan was to deny trump the necessary delegates. That's why he was doing all that work on the second ballot.

He dropped once it was clear there would be no second ballot. Like with the democrats right now!

Edit: maybe we are saying the same thing

Perhaps. Apart from the bit where you give Ted Cruz a shred of credit. Unless that bit was sarcasm.

Oregon C+2
Kentucky C+6

Why do people think Clinton takes Oregon? Gut feeling? Polls I'm not aware of? The sane prediction is Clinton takes Kentucky and Sanders takes Oregon imho. I'd love for Clinton to win both and I think it would give Sanders a good chance to step out of the race if he's looking for one. I doubt he is, but we'd know for sure at least.

But I feel that we're looking at a split. Oregon just looks too demographically favorable to Sanders.

Are there enough delegates on stake today for Clinton to reach the majority, superdelegates included?

This should end today, whatever the outcome.

Perhaps. Apart from the bit where you give Ted Cruz a shred of credit. Unless that bit was sarcasm.

Why do people think Clinton takes Oregon? Gut feeling? Polls I'm not aware of? The sane prediction is Clinton takes Kentucky and Sanders takes Oregon imho. I'd love for Clinton to win both and I think it would give Sanders a good chance to step out of the race if he's looking for one. I doubt he is, but we'd know for sure at least.

But I feel that we're looking at a split. Oregon just looks too demographically favorable to Sanders.

Benchmark had her ahead in Oregon with some type of outlook/simulation thing and a few recent polls showed the same thing.

What's this I keep hearing about Romney working on a third party bid. It's been passed around a lot the last few days, but it seems way too late for it to go anywhere. Apparently they have funding and stuff sorted out.

Ehh Nevada doesn't bother me too much. I mean we know the outcome. Bernie supporters are still in denial stage. I'm not sure if antagonizing them further will help the Democratic nominee in November.

Kentucky +1 Hill
Oregon +7 Bernard

thefro

No, not even if Clinton won all of them.

Maybe if she had 100 superdelegate endorsements waiting in the wings.

I actually overheard someone who was a superdelegate in 2008 (and who happened to be a pretty prominent one then) and who is big on Team Clinton talking about some sort of roll-out after Kentucky last week. Wasn't sure if that was against Trump or a superdelegate roll-out since I didn't hear the context, but this person was someone who would definitely know what's going on.

The perks of doing tech support for the corporate board meeting.

No, not even if Clinton won all of them.

Maybe if she had 100 superdelegate endorsements waiting in the wings.

Yeah just saw the calendar and not enough delegates.

Clinton is 140 or so delegates away and it would suck if this dragged until June 7 over 40 or 50 delegates out of 2400 delegates.

Emarv

Trump gets 28% of Latino voters? (NBCNews/SurveyMonkey).

Needs to go down.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/31280461...5-9-5-15?secret_password=agyWh3Vh62bCRN4ztTac

Edit:
Cip1omHXEAAH1Jt.jpg:large

I keep trying to tell you guys and gals. Hispanics are such a broad base including many who don't identify or necessarily sympathize wholly with Mexicans. We also have many with strong conservative ties or patriarchal belief systems who don't like Hillary (even if they don't care for Trump).

It's why I think Hillary needs to put Perez on the ticket. Lock down this diverse demographic with someone who can best try to reach out to the various Latino communities.

Emarv

Trump's rise was built on excluding all Latino immigrants with a wall, not just Mexicans. Immigration is the next big congressional battle. The 2012 autopsy was about this growing base. This primary season was largely about Latinos (and minorities in general).

I really think Hillary needs to make this election about the future of Latinos in America, more than just "Trump is terrible". That's not enough to increase Latino turnout to what it needs to be.

Of course this may just be my own emotional biases talking as a Latino. I recognize that.

You know what I'm most tired of this election, amongst all the tiring bullshit? That damn "Orange is the New Black!" joke. We get it. We had a laugh. Stop it now.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I keep trying to tell you guys and gals. Hispanics are such a broad base including many who don't identify or necessarily sympathize wholly with Mexicans. We also have many with strong conservative ties or patriarchal belief systems who don't like Hillary (even if they don't care for Trump).

It's why I think Hillary needs to put Perez on the ticket. Lock down this diverse demographic with someone who can best try to reach out to the various Latino communities.

This is so true. I see so many people lumping Mexican/south americans with Caribbean Latinos like DOminicans and Puerto Ricans. I know more than a handful of Dominicans who love Trump. They see him as that 80's bad ass business man they all want to be. Also Immigration is not that important to those not coming from south america, shit a lot non mexicans latinos can be just as intolerant as the GOP.

Thank fully I'm in NYC, these trump votes wont matter much, but I can see this being an issue in Florida, and PA.

pigeon

Banned

This argument seems incoherent. "Latinos are all different and have a variety of positions, therefore you need to put a Latino on the ticket because they will all like that guy!"

I don't mind Perez, although I wish he had campaign experience, but I am just as unconvinced that he will win Latinos for the Democrats as I was that Rubio or Cruz would win Latinos for the GOP.

Considereding the limited exposure that this community had regarding the convention on Saturday, I'm going to post what I posted from the OT thread...

Let me first preface this post by saying that I do not condone the egregious and violent acts of the Bernie extremists who were clearly over the line with their behavior with regard to their harassment and intimidation toward state officials (most of this took place after the convention). They should be held responsible for their actions under the fullest extent of the law. I should also state that I would be totally fine with a change of rules during the convention to allow the delegate count to reflect the popular vote of the original caucus, so long as that decision is made by at least a 2/3's majority of the body (per the original rules for temporary changes). Considering how shitty the caucus process is, a change to reflect the popular vote seems totally fair and appropriate to me.

Having said that, the complaints brought forth by the NSDP are nearly a complete fabrication of the events that took place DURING the convention (what happened after the convention is a different story). The convention was documented in its entirety with the corroboration of multiple eye witnesses through the use of periscope, and at no point did any group of people press against the dais. After all, the dais was laden with security detail for the majority of the event. Furthermore, while there were vulgarities and obscenities thrown out from time to time, it did not remotely reflect the general conduct at the convention for most of the duration of the meeting. I've personally reviewed hours of recordings of the convention, spanning from its commencement to its conclusion, and I can say that most of what the NSDP has asserted in that letter is patently false, and nearly anyone who was present at the event or watching it on periscope would agree with me. Even Hillary supporters present at the convention can attest to this.

Now, here's a clear, concise video revealing what ACTUALLY happened:

https://youtu.be/LmWt4aCTRG0

Here's a timeline of what happened:
Apparently from the periscope, they modified the rules while tons of Bernie supporters were still checking in. Then, on top of that, they modified it using a 'voice' yea or nay vote, when based on the noise on the video, the Sanders' supporters were louder and they ruled against them.

Then, afterwards, with that, the rules changed so that the chairman can do basically whatever they want based on that vote? I think that, from what I can gather, is what happened.

edit: also, apparently the chair as of 8:09 pm eastern is NOT giving the microphone to any Bernie supporter. She is holding onto the microphone and stage hostage according to the periscope feed (not sure if I can link it). She is not letting any motion come up to remove the chairman either, nor any motion.

edit #2: At 8:15 Eastern, they're thinking about trying to get a petition written (20% needed) to allow a motion to remove the chairman. So, they're trying to get a petition written and signed by ~700 people very quickly (and that's a maybe...).

edit #3: At 9:15 Eastern time, they're reading the minority report right now that challenges the commission's report. They're shouting recount, recount, recount, recount, recount.

edit #4: At 9:20 Eastern, they're splitting off to the individual rooms. They will reconvene in the larger room later to try to push for a motion for recount, no confidence, change in chairman, etc. They are not letting a Sanders supporter hold the microphone, except for the single instance of reading the minority report that cried foul. 60+ Sanders delegates were disenfranchised, and likely, the count is off (by a lot). That is why they're trying to push for a recount.

Edit #5: This is the moment when A) they ignored Bernie supporters' call for a recount and B) they called a voice yea or nay vote on the change of rules and C) Bernie voters can be heard far louder than Clinton supporters, thus the vote should not have been passed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5srPXtJV0V0&feature=youtu.be

Edit #6: At 11:05 Eastern, everyone is still split off in different rooms doing national delegate stuff. They haven't returned to the big room yet which is where the Sanders' supporters should be able to motion for no confidence, change of chairman, change of rules, petition for those 60+ Sanders' delegates that were excluded, and recount of delegates.

Edit #7: At 11:48 Eastern, nearly everyone is now in the main room. The periscope stream has 3400 viewers (was up to 5800 at one point). Everyone is just waiting for it to start and try to pass the relevant motions.

Edit #8: At 12:08 Eastern, they're voting to ratify the national electorates, as appointed by the chairman. The yea's have it. They're getting the microphones for the platforms. They're in a hurry 'to go home after a long day.'

Edit #9: At 12:16 Eastern. there are only 53 out of 64 disenfranchised Sanders' delegates left outside the room. There is a large argument over the planks of the platform (mostly over the superdelegates atm). They're calling for a vote to eliminate the superdelegates from the NV platform.

Edit #10: At 12:19 Eastern, a motion has been called to accept or reject the platform. Also, a motion happened to remove the chairman. The motion to remove the chairman was ignored, but a vote on the platform was held. The platform vote did not pass. Thus, the platform is being voted on a section-by-section basis.

Edit #11: At 12:29 Eastern, they're not doing a good job of scrolling the platform sections on the big screen so some of the voting is entirely blind and still 100% by voice.

Important: The "government and election" section of the platform has been stricken from the platform (Sanders supporters' shouts outweighed Clinton supporters' shouts). All other sections thus far have been passed (some barely, some easily).

Edit #12: At 12:49 Eastern, a motion to remove the chairman was on the floor, according to @qwestie. The periscope feed has been down for ~20 minutes.

Edit #13: At 1:04 Eastern, according to @mikepfarr, the section that included "opposing privatization of service" was also voted down. Also, the Periscope feed is now back up. Sanders' supporters are being told to stay.

Edit #14: At 1:13 Eastern, (according to the periscope commentary) Nina Turner has shown up with lawyers and they are in the process of a complete delegate headcount. Also, pizza is outside the room with police (#food).

Edit #15: At 1:21 Eastern, they're just letting candidates come up and pitch their platform and story. Nothing interesting is happening, yet. Sanders' delegates are trying to get a motion to remove the chairman but are being stonewalled. Food (pizza) has arrived. We did it Reddit!

Edit #16: At 1:27 Eastern, someone at podium motioned for recount. Chants of Recount Recount Recount are everywhere.

IMPORTANT: Edit #17: At 1:35 Eastern, the chairman just came up to the microphone, put the motion up to a vote (or something), did not allow a proper vote, counted the motion as voted down while not even allowing the Sanders' voters to say anything, and said the convention was concluded even though A) nobody knows if they're a national delegate for the national convention B) motions were on the floor C) multiple agenda items were not completed. Sanders' supporters are going nuts. They are shouting "There is a motion on the floor, There is a motion on the floor."

Edit #18: At 1:38 Eastern, according to the Periscope, Sanders' supporters are now being arrested.

Edit #19: At 1:40 Eastern, Sanders' supporters are not leaving.

Edit #20: At 1:51 Eastern, Sanders' supporters are not doing a sit-in. They are leaving the room. They are not happy.

Edit #21: 1:56 Eastern: Sanders' protesters are outside somewhere supposedly.

/Important

SPECIAL EDIT 2:30 Eastern: Basically, at the end of the day, the chairwoman committed electoral fraud by fraudulently not allowing a fair vote for the recount.

"Multiple motions on floor ignored while Chair made new motion to accept and was 2nd. Nays never spoke when accepted.#nvdemconvention" -tweet from @qwestie

I listened to the entire proceeding and watched it from periscope , and it happened exactly like what @qwestie tweeted. The Sanders delegates wanted normal rules back (not changed) and a simple recount. They were never allowed either one.

Instead of honestly allowing a motion for a recount, the chairman slammed her gavel down .01 seconds after asking for nays. Given that there was no time to even react by the Sanders' side in those .01 seconds, the chairman said, "passed." She then concluded the convention and walked off the stage. Never before have I seen such dishonesty.

The chairman acted in incredibly fraudulent ways: changing the rules in a strange way when Sanders' supporters were still checking in, not allowing all the Sanders' delegates to take part (64 delegates were disenfranchised), not allowing Sanders' supporters to offer up motions, passing unilateral motions by voice only with only the chairman having the power to make the call of who won the voice vote, calling up security to secure the stage and microphone preventing Sanders' supporters from asking for a motion, continuously ignoring motions and stonewalling, and the most egregious was simply shutting down the convention so as not to have to recount after a motion was passed and then fraudulently ignored.

Everything is on tape from a guy's periscope video feed:https://www.periscope.tv/_luvlei_zaynah/1OyKAnmXrkaGb @11:35 <--- this one is the best one (wait a few secs). and https://www.periscope.tv/FenyxFX/1y....com/lescamoufleurs/status/731730749158768641

Essentially the moment for Bernie supporters to vote on the motion was .001 seconds. They were disenfranchised in their own party's state convention. They had been trying to kick the chairman out ever since the new rules were shoved down their throats unexpectedly. They were trying to do a simple recount and re-instate the Robert's Rules (the normal rules). Also, no one knows who the national delegates are that will be going to the national convention. In addition, the 64 Sanders' delegates who were not let in were never let in. They were not allowed to petition or have a hearing. A minority report that was barely allowed to be read in front of everyone said as much.

The relevant hashtags to search for tweets are: #nvdemconvention #freethe64 #teambernienv

PROTEST time is scheduled @10: "Protest of #nvdemconvention forming at Nevada DNC 10 am. Call 772-889-2798 with complaints. #TeamBernieNV" -tweet from @antisocialista

https://m.reddit.com/r/SandersForPr...ada_democratic_convention_mega_thread/d36591z

The main issue here isn't that a recount wasn't conducted, or that Bernie supporters didn't get their way; Hillary should have won, plain and simple. The issue here is a complete violation of state party rules:

- Meeting was convened before scheduled time and rules were changed before a representative majority could even be assembled (this would be like accepting election results before the polls closed)

- Minority report that challenged the commission's report was not investigated before final decisions were made

- Points of Order went completely unacknowledged

- Motions were left on the floor at the conclusion of the convention

Anyone who knows anything about parliamentary procedure knows that the points above are clear violations of procedure, which would be fine if the NSDP rules were some kind of exception, but they're not.

All current evidence points to misconduct on behalf of both the NSDP and Sanders supporters. This is not even remotely one-sided and anyone suggesting as much is using logic that quite literally flies in the face of overwhelming evidence.

gcubed

well, thats Aaron, he will always be optimistic.

Some of us are just bored as well

Emarv

This argument seems incoherent. "Latinos are all different and have a variety of positions, therefore you need to put a Latino on the ticket because they will all like that guy!"
I understand but I honestly think racial representation plays a big part in voters minds. I can see how that reads as pandering through a token candidate, but I think a Latino who speaks Spanish could really help some Latinos in a way that's hard to explain.

Is registering for a party really so hard that requiring people to so if prior to the primary is such a hurdle? I just don't understand this argument against closed primaries.

Is registering for a party really so hard that requiring people to so if prior to the primary is such a hurdle? I just don't understand this argument against closed primaries.

It's not that registering is hard, just that many people don't know the deadlines (especially if the deadlines are completely crazy like NY.) Voter registration should be same-day or automatic anyway.

It's not that registering is hard, just that many people don't know the deadlines (especially if the deadlines are completely crazy like NY.) Voter registration should be same-day or automatic anyway.

I definitely think we could make it easier, but that's rarely the argument I see people make when they call for open primaries. The argument I see most is "anyone should be able to vote in the primary" to which the obvious answer is "they can! They just have to sign up first!"

People want to participate in the primary while remaining a special independent snowflake.

This is what I can't help but conclude. If you want a say in the Democratic primary, become a Democrat. If you want to remain independent, you don't get to tell Democrats what to do. You shouldn't be demanding to have it both ways. It's not as though you lose anything when you register Democrat, other than your ability to say "I'm actually an independent, and not affiliated with any party!"

Open primaries are terrible. Tons of Republicans might as well try to sabotage the Democratic nominee from here on out in open primaries, since it's already a done deal that Trump will win in pledged delegates therefore their vote doesn't matter in their own party's primary.

Practically the only people defending open primaries and caucuses this cycle are those that think their candidate benefits from them, and they can't even come to agreement on that!

I definitely think we could make it easier, but that's rarely the argument I see people make when they call for open primaries. The argument I see most is "anyone should be able to vote in the primary" to which the obvious answer is "they can! They just have to sign up first!"

It's probably the argument they think they're making but many people probably don't understand the difference. The country fails at voter education.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I think there's a very different argument between voter registration for the general vs. the primaries. Same day for general is very reasonable. Same day for primaries can be used to skew the nomination of either party. I think a few months before the voting day is reasonable. As long as it's easy to register to begin with, setting a deadline makes sense in the context of what primaries are.

I think there's a very different argument between voter registration for the general vs. the primaries. Same day for general is very reasonable. Same day for primaries can be used to skew the nomination of either party. I think a few months before the voting day is reasonable. As long as it's easy to do, setting a deadline makes sense.

I think the risk that results could be skewed is far outweighed from the benefits of making voter registration as easy as possible to encourage and support higher turnout.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think the risk that results could be skewed is far outweighed from the benefits of making voter registration as easy as possible to encourage and support higher turnout.

Consider a state like NY: the Dems outnumber the Republicans to the degree that if both primaries were open the Dems could easily pick the winner of both contests.

It's probably the argument they think they're making but many people probably don't understand the difference. The country fails at voter education.

Yeah, too many people have no clue how it all works. And, I mean, I get it, because I'm still learning new stuff about it every day. It's confusing.

What we should do is mandate that food companies print information about voting requirements and registration deadlines on all of their products. I mean, it may not be relevant information when it comes to what food you should buy, but some people want to know it, and a better educated populace is good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom