• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 on PS3: Redeemable Steam Play copy explained

Truespeed

Mrbob said:
I'm impressed with Steam on PS3 through Portal 2. I was chatting with some people on PC while going through Portal 2 on PS3. Sony needs to allow Valve to use the Steamworks api for all PS3 online gaming.

Sony needs to let Valve do whatever they want on the PSN. Only good can come out of it.

Chris R

Any chance of Move support being patched in at some point in the future? I don't have it now, but think it would make sense for a game like this to have it eventually (would make Co-op even easier).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
rhfb said:
Any chance of Move support being patched in at some point in the future? I don't have it now, but think it would make sense for a game like this to have it eventually (would make Co-op even easier).

There's a chance insofar that it's not impossible, but don't go holding your breath.

Chris R

JaseC said:
There's a chance insofar that it's not impossible, but don't go holding your breath.
Wasn't holding my breath (don't have a move controller and don't plan on using my PS3 copy after I redeem my PC/Mac copy anyways). I was just thinking that it would make co-op with PC/PS3 after redeeming the code easier with the added precision.

DaBuddaDa said:
My "used" PS3 copy has already been posted and sold on Glyde for $37.

-$55 on Amazon, +$37 sold used, +$20 gift certificate for pre-ordering = I get paid $2 to play Portal 2 on PC.
Not bad, but you would still need an ass load of copies to make a living from that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
rhfb said:
Wasn't holding my breath (don't have a move controller and don't plan on using my PS3 copy after I redeem my PC/Mac copy anyways). I was just thinking that it would make co-op with PC/PS3 after redeeming the code easier with the added precision.

I'm of the opinion that it may be patched in at a later date given Valve are supporting the Razer Hydra in Portal 2 and the two are very similar, but it's also entirely possible that Valve will either simply wait until their next game or forego Move support entirely.

Teknopathetic said:
"Why's that?"

Because Sony hasn't bothered to implement cross game chat since the PS3 was released.

no first party sony titles are on the pc... I guess they didn't see the value.

StuBurns

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Why's that?"

Because Sony hasn't bothered to implement cross game chat since the PS3 was released.
It's hardly the same thing. A PS3 game has like 470MB of RAM to do it with, the XMB has massively less to work with.

Morn

Banned
BTW none of the Gamestops in my area (5) are displaying the PS3 version on the shelf. Only the Xbox 360 version. Asked one stooge there and he said they don't want to promote a Steam game.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Morn said:
BTW none of the Gamestops in my area (5) are displaying the PS3 version on the shelf. Only the Xbox 360 version. Asked one stooge there and he said they don't want to promote a Steam game.
thats fucked up.

Cels

Morn said:

typical

Strike

Morn said:
..."and that's why I don't shop at Gamestop."

storl026

Morn said:

Their death as a company can't come soon enough.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Morn said:

God, I can't wait until they die.

eneko

Morn said:

That is unbelievably stupid

Morn said:

Bigger question... why as an informed gamer were you even in Gamestop to begin with?

Hylian7

Morn said:
Wat.

Mrbob

ZeroRay said:
Wait, there's cross game/cross platform chat through Steam in Portal 2?

If so, lol Sony.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply it was voice chat it is just the steam text overlay chat. I went back into the game now and didn't see a voice option on PS3 where there is one normally on PC. The PS3 box says voice chat is supported but it may be in co op mode only.

I have a question, if I own Portal 2 and I activate my steam account on ps3 and redeem the code for a free pc edition do I get a Portal 2 gift?

StuBurns

Banned
QuantumBro said:
I have a question, if I own Portal 2 and I activate my steam account on ps3 and redeem the code for a free pc edition do I get a Portal 2 gift?
The FAQ says it's not transferable, so probably not.

Chanser

Morn said:

I guess that's understandable considering GameStop bought Impulse.

njean777

Morn said:

The gamestop in my area had the ps3 one right by the 360 version. 50/50 split.

LQX

Morn said:
Why would you visit 5 Gamestops? Also is the Steam logo even on the front of the PS3 case?

brb

Sorry if this was already answered but does anyone know how to de-link a steam account from the PS3?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
JaseC said:
I do wish more boxes did in fact mention it. I find a lot of Steam Works games don't say anywhere on the package they are.

Nice to see the Windows Bar starting to be phased out though and clean box art coming back.

Fun fact, did you know all 5 of the PC games on the Bottom Shelf are Steam Works titles? Wonder if that is on purpose.

Tell me you are lying.

Edit: They cleary let it be known on Gamestop.com Sounds like a dumb employee.
If it is 5 stores, it isn't dumb employees, it is dumb regional manager.

this is probably been mentioned a number of time already but whats the PS3 version like? I've seen screengrabs that look pretty good, just wanted to make sure there isn't any game breaking frame rate/tearing problems before i go out and buy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
MrJollyLivesNextDoor said:
this is probably been mentioned a number of time already but whats the PS3 version like? I've seen screengrabs that look pretty good, just wanted to make sure there isn't any game breaking frame rate/tearing problems before i go out and buy.

I'm very impressed by the PS3 version. Rock solid 30 fps at most times, no noticeable screen tearing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MrJollyLivesNextDoor said:
Solid 30 fps 99% of the time, great image quality, decent loading times, no tearing, and smooth Steam integration. Really works beautifully.

S1kkZ

dark10x said:
Solid 30 fps 99% of the time, great image quality, decent loading times, no tearing, and smooth Steam integration. Really works beautifully.
i agree. i am very impressed with the ps3 version, a shame that they fucked up the 360 version. what i really like is the awesome image quality on ps3, the anti-aliasing is awesome.

Oni Jazar

I'm also really impressed with the PS3 version. Valve needs to go back and release all the Source games on PS3.

Only thing is it would've been really cool if it had Move support. Since the portal gun isn't a typical gun I think the Move wand would've been a natural fit for aiming and shooting portals.

The PS3 version is great, I bought it so I could have it on Steam as well and I just got around to installing it on my PC last night... been playing the last two days on my PS3 and it works fucking beautifully.

MNC

I can't wait for Sony to give Valve the OK on releasing the games on PSN, and effectively having the games from PC automatically available on PSN :D

Disappointed that you can't sync save games between the two.

I love the concept of "buy [console] version, get PC version free". It's something that I'd been secretly hoping for in console FPSes for a long time now, but it seems kind of wasted on a game with near-zero replayability value, especially if you can't even sync save games.

Awesome game however. Loving the PS3 version.

Facism

heh i'm bouncing between the PS3 and PC versions. Progressing to a point on the ps3 and then doing the same on the PC when i get the time :D

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Facism said:
heh i'm bouncing between the PS3 and PC versions. Progressing to a point on the ps3 and then doing the same on the PC when i get the time :D
We'll be living in a golden age for both PC and console gaming if this catches on. Very cool indeed.

Top Bottom