• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 on PS3: Redeemable Steam Play copy explained

S1kkZ said:
i agree. i am very impressed with the ps3 version, a shame that they fucked up the 360 version. what i really like is the awesome image quality on ps3, the anti-aliasing is awesome.

must admit i'm pretty surprised, was expecting the usual "slightly worse looking but, hey look it's got 'extra features' so it balances out" routine.

Very impressed Valve, +1 purchase from me

I should be getting my copy tomorrow or the day after.. can't wait.

So does the maxed out PC version look sufficiently better than the PS3 version that it's worth sacrificing my comfy couch? :p

Cause from the screens the PS3 version looks pretty damn good. The only thing I noticed was slightly more natural lighting on PC.. but it seems pretty subtle.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
teh_J0kerer said:
I should be getting my copy tomorrow or the day after.. can't wait.

So does the maxed out PC version look sufficiently better than the PS3 version that it's worth sacrificing my comfy couch? :p

Cause from the screens the PS3 version looks pretty damn good. The only thing I noticed was slightly more natural lighting on PC.. but it seems pretty subtle.
Not really. The primary difference is resolution and framerate. It looks virtually the same.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
Not really. The primary difference is resolution and framerate. It looks virtually the same.
To me 720p + 30 fps is worlds of difference from 1080p + 16x MSAA + 60 fps. I don't know how people can brush that off.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Stallion Free said:
To me 720p + 30 fps is worlds of difference from 1080p + 16x MSAA + 60 fps. I don't know how people can brush that off.
Oh, it definitely makes a big difference, but it's like icing on the cake. As long as the image quality is still clean and the framerate stable, I can be happy. It's instability that drives me crazy.

When sitting further away from a TV resolution makes less of a difference as well.

Cels

S1kkZ said:
i agree. i am very impressed with the ps3 version, a shame that they fucked up the 360 version. what i really like is the awesome image quality on ps3, the anti-aliasing is awesome.

What did they do to the 360 version (graphics-wise I mean, the whole PS3 Steamworks cross-platform free PC copy thing I am aware of)

stupei

I'm sure this has been answered already (probably several times) but didn't see it on the last page or so.

I double dipped and picked up the PS3 version and plan to link it to my Steam account obviously but a coworker just got his very first game console in the form of a PS3. He's expressed a lot of interest in Portal but I'm honestly not sure if the game is going to be too much for him, so I told him he could borrow my copy if he wanted and see if he likes it. But if I've linked it to my Steam account is there going to be a problem to prevent someone else playing it? How does that work?

StuBurns

Banned
stupei said:
I'm sure this has been answered already (probably several times) but didn't see it on the last page or so.

I double dipped and picked up the PS3 version and plan to link it to my Steam account obviously but a coworker just got his very first game console in the form of a PS3. He's expressed a lot of interest in Portal but I'm honestly not sure if the game is going to be too much for him, so I told him he could borrow my copy if he wanted and see if he likes it. But if I've linked it to my Steam account is there going to be a problem with someone else playing it? How does that work?
No issue at all. And I think it's a perfect game for a new gamer.

stupei said:

I double dipped and picked up the PS3 version and plan to link it to my Steam account obviously but a coworker just got his very first game console in the form of a PS3. He's expressed a lot of interest in Portal but I'm honestly not sure if the game is going to be too much for him, so I told him he could borrow my copy if he wanted and see if he likes it. But if I've linked it to my Steam account is there going to be a problem to prevent someone else playing it? How does that work?

No problem. I bought the game, and I tied it to my Steam account and redeemed my PC copy.
My roommate also plays it on his PSN account, and even tied it to his Steam account, and that works fine. The only difference is that he couldn't get the PC copy. We can even play cross platform with him on the PS3 and I on the PC.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just curious, if one of my PS3 friends opens up their Steam interface, do they automatically see my Steam profile (which is linked to my PS3), or would they also have to friend me on Steam as well?

StuBurns

Banned
Snuggler said:
Just curious, if one of my PS3 friends opens up their Steam interface, do they automatically see my Steam profile (which is linked to my PS3), or would they also have to friend me on Steam as well?
The interface lists both friends lists semi-separately, he'll see you.

stupei

StuBurns said:
No issue at all. And I think it's a perfect game for a new gamer.

I hope that turns out to be the case! He sounds a little intimidated just because of a lack of experience, but the learning curve in the game is so incredible that I'd like to think he'll be fine. I just don't want the price tag to potentially sour him on the game if it takes him a while to get into it.

Inferno313 said:
No problem. I bought the game, and I tied it to my Steam account and redeemed my PC copy.
My roommate also plays it on his PSN account, and even tied it to his Steam account, and that works fine. The only difference is that he couldn't get the PC copy. We can even play cross platform with him on the PS3 and I on the PC.

Oh, awesome. Maybe if he's struggling at all we could play some co op and I could help him a little bit until he's thinking with portals.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys.

RiverBed

Banned
QUick question:

I want to create a Steam account for the first time. I can create one using my PSN account using the same PSN name, but with the prefix 'psn_' (appearing before my new Steam name.

But if I want to create a Steam account using a different name, can I still link it to PSN so I can play Portal 2 for free on PC? Or do I HAVE to create a Steam acount via PSN to get that promotional offer?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
RiverBed said:
QUick question:

I want to create a Steam account for the first time. I can create one using my PSN account using the same PSN name, but with the prefix 'psn_' (appearing before my new Steam name.

But if I want to create a Steam account using a different name, can I still link it to PSN so I can play Portal 2 for free on PC? Or do I HAVE to create a Steam acount via PSN to get that promotional offer?

You can link your PSN account to a "normal" Steam account, yes. It's one of the options given, the other being the one you described; using your PSN account as the basis for the Steam account.

RiverBed

Banned
Cool.
Sow can I pay with Paypal on Steam? Or do I have to manually add funds? Can I link Steam to my credit card? It would be awesome if I can link it to my Paypal.

Exuro

RiverBed said:
Cool.
Sow can I pay with Paypal on Steam? Or do I have to manually add funds? Can I link Steam to my credit card? It would be awesome if I can link it to my Paypal.
You can do all three.

JaseC

RiverBed said:
Cool, so how do I link to paypal? I only see my steam account wallet and the option to add $.

I'm noob to steam...>_<'

You can select/change your preferred payment method during checkout when purchasing something.

abFGG.png

Exuro

RiverBed said:
Cool, so how do I link to paypal? I only see my steam account wallet and the option to add $.

I'm noob to steam...>_<'
I think you have to be at the check out to add a credit card or paypal.

RiverBed

Banned
Cool, cool. I hope it saves my payment option as in the future I want to simply click on a game and click purchase, confirm and that is it. :)

I think I'm going to enjoy PC gaming. :)

JaseC

RiverBed said:
Cool, cool. I hope it saves my payment option as in the future I want to simply click on a game and click purchase, confirm and that is it. :)

Yep. The first payment method you use is automatically added as the default, I believe.

Exuro

RiverBed said:

It'll be that easy. I went out of town on monday, and noticed the new vegas dlc was on sale. Hopped on my account on my grandma's computer and it was a one click purchase. Had all of my info saved.(I probably should change that to my comp only). But yeah, Steam makes purchasing TOO easy. :p

Top Bottom