• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predators |OT| STILL AINT GOT TIME TO BLEED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabotage

obligatory hate....

arniewhat.gif

Davedough

I saw the preview for this while watching the UFC replay and got excited. But... I've never heard of the director... is his name REALLY Nimrod? I hope that's no indication of the movie's quality.

sarcastor

Dead said:

also on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QWbgA5E6QU

if you watch the original Predator, the special effects really don't hold up. but at least the lines are soooo awesome. probably cause Shane Black, who played the dude with glasses, was brought on board as an actor to help with the Script. He also wrote Lethal Weapon, Long Kiss Good Night and directed/wrote Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

My favorite Arnuld line from Predator - "She's your baggage. you fall behind. you're own your own". except with his accent, it sounds like "Caesar baggage, you fall behein, yeon yeown."

sarcastor said:

if you watch the original Predator, the special effects really don't hold up. but at least the lines are soooo awesome. probably cause Shane Black, who played the dude with glasses, was brought on board as an actor to help with the Script. He also wrote Lethal Weapon, Long Kiss Good Night and directed/wrote Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

My favorite Arnuld line from Predator - "She's your baggage. you fall behind. you're own your own". except with his accent, it sounds like "Caesar baggage, you fall behein, yeon yeown."

Outside of the chamleon cloak stuff, the effects weren't bad since it's almost all just practical.

Darklord

Banned
I just saw these. Why does the new predator look so fucking bad(design and plastic mask wise) compared to the original?

243829-f_44008_super.jpg

243830-f_44009_super.jpg

Compared to:
346m1kk.jpg

JoeBoy101

sarcastor said:

"You're ghosting us, Motherfucker! I don't care who you are back in the world. You give our position one more time, I'll bleed you, real quiet, and leave ya' here. Got that?"

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
JoeBoy101 said:
Holy shit! Those look AWFUL compared to the original. Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Winston

Oh.

So true. I had the same complaint with AVP Predators...how they didn't look anything near as good as Stan's Predator from 1 and 2. Those costumes were made 20 FUCKING YEARS AGO...and you're telling me modern prosthetics and makeup can't get that good?! I miss you Stan Winston...so much.

That seems to be the main one they keep showing since it has the very long lower jaw jutting out which almost seem like tusks even with the mask on. The other predator that it's facing for example looks like you regular predator as you can see the head part on top is like the old ones, and the jaws aren't as wide.

LM4sure

Banned
So what's the buzz about this movie? I just watched the trailer for the first time and I am PUMPED! I'm hoping it at least turns out to be decent, but I'm afraid it's more likely to be a complete pile of shite.

sarcastor said:

Disagree, because there just really weren't that many special effects. The cloaking still looks great...what other effects were there? The movie looks great.

Mr. Snrub said:
Disagree, because there just really weren't that many special effects. The cloaking still looks great...what other effects were there? The movie looks great.

I guess some of he laser blasts look cheap. Though for myself, the only special effect in Predator I think looks truly bad is when the Predator is heating up his blades with a laser pointer.

Mr. Snrub said:

The only two elements I can recall are the Predator-vision and the cloaking, both of which hold up very well.

Everything else was practical and holds up splendidly.

Space A Cobra said:
I guess some of he laser blasts look cheap. Though for myself, the only special effect in Predator I think looks truly bad is when the Predator is heating up his blades with a laser pointer.

Good call. That part does suffer a bit.

That predator is a 'super black predator' which I think is a new predator type (race? tribe? Fuck knows) that they're introducing in this film. The original predator design is also in the movie. They are Predators with added psychopathy.

Drahcir

LemonGremlin said:
That predator is a 'black predator' which I think is a new predator type (race? tribe? Fuck knows) that they're introducing in this film. The original predator design is also in the movie.

That's what I've read as well. I don't know why they didn't release images of the original Predator as well to prevent any confusion. To be fair, there were several different looking Predators in part 2 at the end of the film, only they never took off their helmets. But we have to assume not every Predator looks the same underneath.

I'd also agree that the way the first two Predator films were lit was significant. The cinematography in those comparison images above are so different. I wish it was a bit more consistent.

totally didnt know about this movie until a few days ago.
Pumped for it, really like the concept of the story.
I have organised a few mates and myself to go watch it next week, its gonna be awesome.

Hari Seldon

Fuck this god damn movie. You don't replace a movie with TWO god damn US governors with fucking Adrien fucking Brody. Fuck.

Good to know. All I'm expecting is a decent actioner that sort of hearkens back to the gritty sci-fi films of the 80's. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, as long as Fox doesn't fuck with the film too much and pussy things down.

I hope the Predators laugh at the puny humans they got sent. And then at night they tell stories to Predator children about the superhuman they encountered in the Earth jungle many years ago.

Space A Cobra said:
That and John McTiernan had a good crew who knew how to properly shoot and light the costume so it didn't look like fake shit.

Those new Predator shots look fucking horrid though. The redesigned head is some sci-fi channel movie of the week looking shit. Oh well.
You're also comparing a promotional photo lit specifically to be such to a leaked movie still. i'm withholding judgement

That said, they still look so much better then the shit in AVP/2

Draft

Teh Hamburglar said:
P2 was awful. Worst "Lets bring the bad thing to NYC" since Jason Vorhees does NY or T-Rex goes to San Fran.
No.

First of all, it's in LA. Second, it's the concrete jungle. You get it? Like, the first one was in a jungle jungle, but this one is in a concrete jungle.

You know where you are? You're in the jungle, baby. You're gonna die.

Draft said:
No.

First of all, it's in LA. Second, it's the concrete jungle. You get it? Like, the first one was in a jungle jungle, but this one is in a concrete jungle.

And it had Bill Paxton. The only man to take on a Terminator, an Alien, and a Predator. Granted, he died each time, but he gave it his best.
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature-articles/bill-paxton-awesome.php
Oh, and Pat Benetar.

Blader

Draft said:
No.

:lol

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
You forget Lance Henriksen.
He doesn't count in the VS arguments. Usually he doesnt have enough of a body count to be considered a threat. We could just say he took on Schwarzenegger twice, since he took him on in True Lies as well.

It just makes me think of what IGN said about the Predator. An alien so badass that in one film it hunts and kills: Carl Weathers, Bill Duke, and Jessie Ventura. But it is also stupid enough to take on 80s Schwarzenegger unarmed.

Another strong impression from Cinematical:

@mtgilchrist: it's really too bad, too, because it rules. second favorite movie of the summer.

He said people at the junket seemed surprised it was so good. :lol

stuminus3

+1 for "there was already a Predator 2, and it was fucking awesome".

I really want to see this, though. Hopefully it's not like AVP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom