• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

Raynes

Should I update from 3.55 kmeaw to 4.20 DEX? Why would one use 3.55 DEX over 4.20 DEX? What does the DEX version of multiman do? Also, I can play any backup on DEX without needing to wait for anyone to release a patch, right? Lastly, does f*ckpsn work on DEX?

test_account

XP-39C²
Should I update from 3.55 kmeaw to 4.20 DEX? Why would one use 3.55 DEX over 4.20 DEX? What does the DEX version of multiman do? Also, I can play any backup on DEX without needing to wait for anyone to release a patch, right? Lastly, does f*ckpsn work on DEX?
I think you need to wait for a patch, but since you're on 4.20, you can just play directly from your disc anyway, so that shouldnt be a problem. PSN wont work on DEX converted PS3s.

Finally got around to installing Cobra CFW today (I got the dongle off ebay for cheap many months ago)... installed it directly over Kmeaw and it went smooth.

I put a 1TB HDD in my phat PS3, and I look forward to filling it up with my entire Playstation library (PS1, PS2, and PS3)... but man, ripping WipeOut XL from disc took ages, I swear it would have been faster to download an ISO via torrent and transfer via FTP than to rip the actual CD! ugh... Might have to do all the PS1/PS2 ripping on the PC to save the PS3 laser.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Im just wondering if the problem is that this allows people to cheat while online?

This response is largely useless, as I don't play GT5 online so I'm not qualified to answer, but I would assume that the ability for CFW users to cheat depends on the MP setup for GT5 -- i.e. are cars stored and/or accessed client-side or server-side?

Gvaz

Banned
Not necessarily, sometimes the japanese versions are compiled with 3.55 or 3.40 but the USA versions are compiled at a higher one.

DieH@rd

Banned
TTT2, a newly released firmware 4.00+ game can now be run on CFW 3.55.

It means someone out there has the keys to decrypt new games so they run on older firmwares.

Apparently TTT2 and its first update use 4.21, but who knows...

test_account

XP-39C²
I remember reading a theory that the way the TrueBlue guys got their eboots, it was to use a DEX system and look in the memory after the game has started, then dumping the memory. I dont know if this is possible on the PS3, but after the DEX stuff happened and seeing all the stuff happening, i wonder if there could be something to it. That, or more people have found the latest decryption keys.

EDIT: Have the recent PSN access with CFW led to any Mondern Warfare 3 cheating? Or is it simply a new savegame hack that has been discovered? I havnt played that game in a few weeks, and now i see that the top leaderboards contains a lot of fake entries. This wasnt the case for many, many months, and now it suddently happened it seems. I dont care too much about leaderboards in this particular game, but in general i hate hacks like this. Sucks for those who play legit.

Gvaz

Banned
EDIT: Have the recent PSN access with CFW led to any Mondern Warfare 3 cheating? Or is it simply a new savegame hack that has been discovered? I havnt played that game in a few weeks, and now i see that the top leaderboards contains a lot of fake entries. This wasnt the case for many, many months, and now it suddently happened it seems. I dont care too much about leaderboards in this particular game, but in general i hate hacks like this. Sucks for those who play legit.
I don't know but it's possible.

However:

>giving a shit about someone's leaderboard score

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't know but it's possible.

However:

>giving a shit about someone's leaderboard score
For this game in particular i dont care much because i'm too far down on the list anyway hehe, and there are also a lot of leaderboards (one specific for each game mode, like Team Deathmatch, Dominaton etc. etc.). Still suck for those who play legit and care about it for this game. For other games like score attack and such however, it annoys me more when people are able to post fake scores.

Gvaz

Banned
Sorry my point is just that it's something that no matter what anyone does, someone will cheat. It sucks for those trying to be legit but in the end it's just a hobby, and having numbers represent your talents is just completely arbitrary to anything worthwhile. What it should do instead is the better you are, the more similarly competitive people you automatically get grouped with you or something. I don't know. I just feel like it's a waste of time.

What's new in multiMAN 04.06.00:

* multiMAN celebrates 2 years. CONGRATULATIONS!
* Added support for 4.21CFW (CEX) (syscall 6-10 required)
- "Standard" BD-Emulator option (sc36) (Hermes not supported yet)
- Direct Disc Access (LV1&LV2 patched for Storage Manager access)
- Raw access to optical media (PS1 backups & Showtime access to BD/DVD/CDs)
- BD-Movie Region Changer
- BD-Mirror for INT/EXT games

Is this real?

:O

Aklamarth

yQwJ9.jpg

Either world class trolling or it's true.

test_account

XP-39C²
I remember reading a theory that the way the TrueBlue guys got their eboots, it was to use a DEX system and look in the memory after the game has started, then dumping the memory. I dont know if this is possible on the PS3, but after the DEX stuff happened and seeing all the stuff happening, i wonder if there could be something to it. That, or more people have found the latest decryption keys.
I just remembered that many of these games uses patches that are encrypted with 3.60 keys, so that could be one reason why so many eboot cracks where released recently.

Sorry my point is just that it's something that no matter what anyone does, someone will cheat. It sucks for those trying to be legit but in the end it's just a hobby, and having numbers represent your talents is just completely arbitrary to anything worthwhile. What it should do instead is the better you are, the more similarly competitive people you automatically get grouped with you or something. I don't know. I just feel like it's a waste of time.
Yeah, it doesnt matter much in the big picture, not at all, but it still sucks :)

It is not just about competitive play against eachother. Sometimes it is about score attack, that is a solo experience. Having the leaderboard cluttered with fake entries ruins that. And competing like this is fun, so it isnt a waste of time in that sense.

I'm not blaming CFW here for this by the way (unless that is the only reason why it is possible in some games). For example, all Call of Duty games have had problems with leaderboard hacking long before CFW on PS3 was possible.

LordCanti

google "red power 4.21 cfw"

Im updating multiman myself and googling now

Let us know what your google research turns up. I've been waiting (patiently as hell) to play Journey for a long time now, and was pretty gutted when the (no linux required) CEX -> DEX method wouldn't work properly on my NAND machine. If there is a 4.21 CFW I can apply, I'll be pleased as punch.

Seems like this Red Power CFW will need a DRM dongle/disk to work? Release date mid-Autumn, will play games/dlc upto 4.21 (they successfully tested PES 2013, DOA5, Journey, Monster Hunter and some others), PSN access. Can only install if your PS3 is on 3.55.

Will wait for 4.21 Rebug

LordCanti

Seems like this Red Power CFW will need a DRM dongle/disk to work? Release date mid-Autumn, will play games/dlc up 4.21 (they successfully tested PES 2013, DOA5, Journey, Monster Hunter and some others), PSN access. Can only install if your PS3 is on 3.55.

Will wait for 4.21 Rebug

I'm reading that it won't require a dongle. The guy that created Multiman seems to think it won't, in any case. That's enough to make me hopeful.

Gvaz

Banned
canti, there's a process if you want to have 4.21 on dex right now to play journey

Ok here i the fix of Journey_Collectors_Edition_PS3-ZRY
a bit long winded but definitely works (tested on 4.20/4.21 DEX)

1.Go to the folder PS3_EXTRA D002, unpack the DATA000.PKG file with pkgview.

2.Pack the extracted folder NPUA70218 with psn_package_npdrm with this package.conf

Content-ID = EP0002-NPUA70218_00-0000111122223333
K_licensee = 0x00000000000000000000000000000000
DRM_Type = Free
Content_Type = GameExec
PackageVersion = 01.00

then install pkg on ps3.

3.Make the image as you would a normal dex image (there are tutorials for this everywhere so i will not reinvent the wheel) before you click build....

4.Tick the extra contents (new format) > Setup content Root > click File-Open > select PARAM.SFO file from PS3_EXTRA folder.

5.Go to Content Information Tab, and drag and drop all files (not folders) from PS3_Extra (delete greyed out ones) then click ok.

6.Go to Volume tab click Setup Content Items, then drag and drop pkg files from each of the D00X folders one by one (as you do each one right click and edit param. Then enter the General Parameter - Title(Default) which you can get from param.sfx in each folder ie in D000

<param key="TITLE" fmt="utf8" max_len="128">flOw</param>
</paramsfo>

so you would enter flOw in the Title(Default)

drag and drop ICON2.PNG into Content Information Files Tab

do this with each of the folders pkg's.

7.Click build and make image as usual.

you can make a seperate pkg for the other content ie flow, flower etc just do the same as in step 1 with the other folders and modify the content id

have fun

LordCanti

canti, there's a process if you want to have 4.21 on dex right now to play journey

I can't turn my CEX console into a DEX console unfortunately. I mean, maybe I can with the longer linux-requiring method, but I couldn't get the simple method to work no matter what I tried.

I googled around and found people with the same problem (NAND console users like me, I think) but no one had a solution.

If 4.21 is going to come out in a CEX compatible CFW, I'm open to just waiting it out. It would have been nice if the DEX conversion worked though.

My friend just got Avengers on Bluray and this message pops up when he tries to play it on his CFW PS3 (3.55): "To play this BD, you must renew the encryption key. perform a system software update to renew encryption key".

Is there any way to fix this, or are all future Bluray movie releases going to be unplayable on CFW ps3s?

My friend just got Avengers on Bluray and this message pops up when he tries to play it on his CFW PS3 (3.55): "To play this BD, you must renew the encryption key. perform a system software update to renew encryption key".

Is there any way to fix this, or are all future Bluray movie releases going to be unplayable on CFW ps3s?
I can't vouch for this, but it was posted on the previous page:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42330681&postcount=243

I understand that I'd most likely lose PSN access so I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to download any new PSN games either right? What happens to the games I currently have downloaded like Pain or LocoRoco would I still be able to play them?

I have a noobish question about all the game fixes that have been coming out. A lot of games I have been interested in only have fixes for the EU versions. Is there an easy way to make those work with the US games? I don't want to go buying a bunch of games, only to find out I can't get them to play.

Jal

I have a noobish question about all the game fixes that have been coming out. A lot of games I have been interested in only have fixes for the EU versions. Is there an easy way to make those work with the US games? I don't want to go buying a bunch of games, only to find out I can't get them to play.

You'll need to edit the param.sfo using something like PS3SFOEdit

Mitama

Major news: PS3 ODDE to be released (BluRay drive emulator) by the XK3Y team. It will be called 3K3Y and will allow you to play back-ups from an external HDD. Best part is that it's a proper disc drive emulator which eliminates the need for CFW and allows you to upgrade to the latest firmware and play on PSN! You still need the 3.55 CFW to extract the drive key but the team is working on a solution for that. This is what we've been all waiting for.

617163_480884695277414_821030981_o.jpg

Top Bottom