• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

Any specifics?

When I left the scene (which is to say 4 months after it started), there were already perfect emulators for

Snes
Genesis
Mame
Nes
Scumm (adventure games)

Usual suspects were all perfectly working.

Edit: DP boooo me

Yeah these emulators popped up in the first few months and I already have them, but I was wondering if any more came out? Doesn't seem like it. Why are there no N64, Saturn or DC emus out there?

Major news: PS3 ODDE to be released (BluRay drive emulator) by the XK3Y team. It will be called 3K3Y and will allow you to play back-ups from an external HDD. Best part is that it's a proper disc drive emulator which eliminates the need for CFW and allows you to upgrade to the latest firmware and play on PSN! You still need the 3.55 CFW to extract the drive key but the team is working on a solution for that. This is what we've been all waiting for.

617163_480884695277414_821030981_o.jpg
Shit yea. Can finally get PS+. BTW, back when PSN Fucker was working I dled it and got online. But you had to change something in Flash 0. I backed up the original on my PS3, but my PC crapped out and now I don't have that file. So I can't change it back to the original one...will this fuck me over in the long run?

Mitama

I'm like 99% certain that after upgrading your firmware (after you've obtained the drive key of course) it will do a proper upgrade and restore any missing/invalid files plus update them to the latest version. You should be good to go.

RoyalFool

Banned
Major news: PS3 ODDE to be released (BluRay drive emulator) by the XK3Y team. It will be called 3K3Y and will allow you to play back-ups from an external HDD. Best part is that it's a proper disc drive emulator which eliminates the need for CFW and allows you to upgrade to the latest firmware and play on PSN! You still need the 3.55 CFW to extract the drive key but the team is working on a solution for that. This is what we've been all waiting for.

617163_480884695277414_821030981_o.jpg

And on the plus side, it looks nicer than the new PS3 model.

test_account

XP-39C²

http://www.eurasia.nu/images/submitted/617163_480884695277414_821030981_o.jpg
But when updating the PS3 firmware, you lose all the homebrew, right? Wouldnt this simply just lead to that you dont have to switch disc a handful of time?

And on the plus side, it looks nicer than the new PS3 model.
That is a PS3 Slim, isnt it?

But when updating the PS3 firmware, you lose all the homebrew, right? Wouldnt this simply just lead to that you dont have to switch disc a handful of time?

That is a PS3 Slim, isnt it?
I rarely use the homebrew. This is great for me because I can go back to using PSN whilst backing up my BD copies. I live in china. Games are cheaper in america...legit games...so this is great.

test_account

XP-39C²
I rarely use the homebrew. This is great for me because I can go back to using PSN whilst backing up my BD copies. I live in china. Games are cheaper in america...legit games...so this is great.
Sure, i know that this is nice for someone, but i dont think that this is what everyone have been waiting for if it just removes the need for swapping discs :)

Judging by the picture, it seems that extra hardware is required. If the Xbox 360 Xkey equivalent is anything to go by, it will cost around $100. Then there is also the risk of getting banned from PSN. Paying around $100 and risk getting banned only to avoid swapping discs seems like a steep price to pay in my opinion, especially the risk of getting banned.

Meesh

I have a confession....I want a ps3 so I can import monster hunter portable 3rd hd....anyone else home brew for the imports??
Unless...ps3 can already play imports...

This new 3key is a piracy tool. End of.

It's for 1:1 ISO dumps only and no homebrew means your won't even have multiman.

Dependant on the price, you are better off just buying a used ps3 for psn.

test_account

XP-39C²
I have a confession....I want a ps3 so I can import monster hunter portable 3rd hd....anyone else home brew for the imports??
Yes, every PS3 game (except Persona 4 Arena, and maybe one or two other games) is region free, so you can import Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD and play it on any PS3 :)

If this is your reason for homebrew then it may not be for you. The PS3 can play import PS3 games out the box. So you should be good as long as you're on the latest firmware.

And while I'm asking is there a non F**K PSN way to get to the store right now?

This new 3key is a piracy tool. End of.

It's for 1:1 ISO dumps only and no homebrew means your won't even have multiman.

Dependant on the price, you are better off just buying a used ps3 for psn.

I have a PS3 slim on OFW that can no longer read dual-layer Blu-ray discs (i.e. Blu-ray movies, and many Blu-ray games like Uncharted 3). This 3key would give me a way of still using that slim to play dual-layer games.

Sorry if this has been asked previously but, am I right in thinking there's no way to downgrade firmware?

Software wise from a version above 3.55? No.

Hardware wise from the latestest version? ..... kinda. Only certain models, and it comes with a lot of caveats and requires soldering and a complex install process which is even more confusing if you want to "dual boot" CFW and OFW.

I have a PS3 slim on OFW that can no longer read dual-layer Blu-ray discs (i.e. Blu-ray movies, and many Blu-ray games like Uncharted 3). This 3key would give me a way of still using that slim to play dual-layer games.

Well I still don't think it's going to be priced significantly lower than the price of a second hand ps3.

Stil, I'll admit I hadn't thought of that.

test_account

XP-39C²
Would it work with a broken Bluray player? It is a device installed between the Bluray drive and the PS3 motherboard. I've read that people had problems booting games on CFW if the Bluray drive is broken.

Senaxx

Banned
Video from 3K3y

You still need to start from CFW 3.55 now for the 3K3y to work to grab the key and insert that in the 3K3y firmware, to make communication possible between the 3K3y and the PS3

For now it's not possible to to grab that key when you are not on CFW. Maybe they can build a piece of hardware that is able to retreive that key from a bluray drive like they did for the 360.

Would it work with a broken Bluray player? It is a device installed between the Bluray drive and the PS3 motherboard. I've read that people had problems booting games on CFW if the Bluray drive is broken.
Well even assuming you need a disc in the drive - which I don't think will be the case for the ODDE - it shouldn't matter because I could have a single layer disc in the drive while playing the dual layer game.

Video from 3K3y

You still need to start from CFW 3.55 now for the 3K3y to work to grab the key and insert that in the 3K3y firmware, to make communication possible between the 3K3y and the PS3

For now it's not possible to to grab that key when you are not on CFW. Maybe they can build a piece of hardware that is able to retreive that key from a bluray drive like they did for the 360.

When is it releasing?

fallingdove

So after installing 3k3y, is there enough room that you can put the cover back on or do you have to leave the internals exposed?

test_account

XP-39C²
Well even assuming you need a disc in the drive - which I don't think will be the case for the ODDE - it shouldn't matter because I could have a single layer disc in the drive while playing the dual layer game.
I have no idea how it works to be honest. I just read that it is a device that hooks up between the Bluray drive and the motherboard, so assume that there is some connection going on between the two things for it to work. Otherwise i dont see the need to go through the Bluray drive first, why not just go 3k3y device -> motherboard? But again, i dont know for sure. Maybe it wont matter if the Bluray lense is just partially broken (as in it can read single layer Bluray discs).

Senaxx

Banned
I'm guessing here, but i have experience with Xk3y installations, and i would expect this product to work the same.

The 3K3y emulates the bluray drive so i'm guessing that you don't need the bluray drive anymore. There are probably 2 setups, 1 as Man-in-the-Middle: this way you can play games from your bluray drive and from an external hard drive.

Or replace the bluray drive (since the lense is broken or something) with this ODD emulator. This emulator should have the same response as a full bluray drive, excepts it loads it data from an iso from the hard drive instead from a bluray disc.

If your bluray drive logic board is dead you are out of luck. You need the key that is inside the bluray drive to make communication between 3K3y and PS3 possible. Although it's possible to remarry a new bluray drive to a PS3 nowadays when you are on CFW.

Has this been posted?

[PS3] PSN For CFW Users Without F**kPSN
*I recomend this more for people who don't want to have their pc on / being a bother just to access psn but if you have pc on anyways / not a bother then might aswell stick to f*ckpsn*

Following his previous work. PlayStation 3 developer itskamel has taken modified firmware to a new level. He has released a patched custom/modified firmware together with the necessary files that will allow PSN access without the need of FckPSN. In order for this to be safe it is required that you use the modified firmware "3.55-CEX-KAMEL-PSN-ACCESS". NOT any other firmware due to possible bricks. As usual it would be recommended that you backup your original files. Previous users of FckPSN should reset their PS3's network connection to the way it was prior to using FckPSN.

About 3.55-CEX-KAMEL-PSN-ACCESS:
Alright finally I got it done but not without the help of an anonymous person, that gave me the proper vsh.self, index.dat, and version.txt files. For some reason I just could not get it right, every time I would use mine i would get black screen on boot.

3.55-CEX-KAMEL-PSN-ACCESS (no need for Fckpsn)

So without further delay here is a 3.55 MFW built with patches below.
Peek and Poke
Install Debug pkg files
Spoofed to 4.25
Patched for direct connection to psn
How To:
Backup your original files for later use or if you want or just re flash the firmware.

Downloads needed:
355CEXKAMELPSNACCESS.PUP
files to replace.zip
dev_blind-v1.1.zip
openps3ftp-v2.3.zip

Install dev_blind & openps3ftp
mount dev_blind
connect to the ps3 via ftp
Go to and replace at
dev_blind/vsh/module/vsh.self
dev_blind/etc/index.dat
dev_blind/etc/version.txt
Unmount dev_blind
Reboot ps3
Connect to psn!!!

Please note that you are responsible for your PlayStation 3.

Seems more risky than using F**kPSN (?) but might be more practical for some people.

Senaxx

Banned
Has this been posted?

Seems more risky than using F**kPSN (?) but might be more practical for some people.

There is a more easy method for this: I've compiled a megapack for CFW's. This is just a PKG you can copy to a FAT32 usb stick and install. If you run this program this does all the patching for you. Link: http://ps3scenefiles.com/file.php?id=1154

And since this morning there are more patches available: http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/sen-enabler-disabler-4-25-2642/

multiMAN 4.07.00

Added full support for BD - Mirror for games on internal HDD for 4.21 CFW
Added support for 4.21 CFW CEX spoofed to 4.25
Fixed an issue with loading PS1 disc backups
Fixed some text typos and translation for "temperature" strings

tino

Banned
Can I play any newer games on HDD?

I tried to sell my PS3 (3.55cfw) on ebay and it was cancelled. If there is any way to revive the console I will keep it.

Can I play any newer games on HDD?

I tried to sell my PS3 (3.55cfw) on ebay and it was cancelled. If there is any way to revive the console I will keep it.

There are fixes for most games that allow you to play even if they require higher firmware. It used to be that you needed to buy a dongle called "True Blue" to take advantage of those fixes, but someone broke the DRM that company was using, and now they're free.

LordCanti

Whoa, what do those mean? Where is this 4.21 CFW?

Supposedly someone is working on it, or something. I've been waiting for a while now, ever since I failed to upgrade to DEX in my quest to play Journey.

tino

Banned
There are fixes for most games that allow you to play even if they require higher firmware. It used to be that you needed to buy a dongle called "True Blue" to take advantage of those fixes, but someone broke the DRM that company was using, and now they're free.

Thanks. Whats the keyword to search for the "fixes"? I know we have to be civil in this thread.

Jal

Whoa, what do those mean? Where is this 4.21 CFW?

I just came across this

p.s. Stop sending me PMs with questions about this firmware. I'm not involved in its development and the only thing I know is that it will be ready soon and will be free.

Last edited by deank; Today at 04:25 AM.

Jal

Good News: The firmware has been released and it's 4.25.

Bad News: It's from bluedisk, drm'ed and requires you to send your eid0 to get a key to use it.

I'd advise to wait for more info before jumping on this.

http://www.bluedisk-cfw.com/ (may need to refresh a few times).

Top Bottom