• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 (consumer version) waltzes past the FCC

Shin

Banned
Anyone able to find out what the usual amount of time is from FCC certification to actual retail release on products like these? Could it be a october surprise?

There is something on the FCC site about 3 months to approve a claim or something along those lines.

sony-ps4-fcc-label-location.jpg

ps4-label-fcc-aitb800.jpg

ps4-fcc-specsaitb.jpg

von zipp

The document states operating temp of 5-35 degrees Celsius.
Is this considered hot or normal for a computer system? Just wondering about the cooling and fan noise.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There is no way that could happen, retail stores would have to deal with COD lines + a console launch there would be to many people, stores like gamestop would be completely destroyed.
Synergetic sales potential is exactly why it would happen.

Is this considered hot or normal for a computer system? Just wondering about the cooling and fan noise.

I'm pretty sure that's safe ambient temperatures to run the product at, rather than the temperature of the console itself.

Duxxy3

That's pretty cool. Some of the PC cards in the past few years ran double that, at idle.

Aspiring

Biggest news is the universal power supply!

Looks to be the same specs as the power supply in ps3 slim. 250 Watts power supply.

Does this mean since I am importing from the US, will I just be able to use a figure 8 Australian cable to just plug in the back of the console and in the wall, and not use my step down??

Orayn

2.75 GHz is not a clock frequency, you friggin' goofballs. The specs are better, but Sony is not hiding a high frequency secret sauce.

Fingers crossed for an early to mid Fall launch.

35C is pretty modest for most PCs. Many idle around that temperature.

HA! I knew that strip was something that would be shrouded by screw covers and/or stickers, rather than where the HDD went. It's too long.

DBT85

I somehow doubt that made in Japan versions will be available to the public. It doesn't make sense to make some in Japan at a much higher labor cost than the rest in China at Foxconn.

Glad it's through fcc early though. Hopefully bodes well.

raven777

wow they actually manufacture some of them in Japan?

I somehow doubt that made in Japan versions will be available to the public. It doesn't make sense to make some in Japan at a much higher labor cost than the rest in China at Foxconn.

Glad it's through fcc early though. Hopefully bodes well.

I think the first PS3 models some of them were manufactured in Japan and consumers got them if i remember correctly?

Surprised they are doing something similar with PS4 though.

DBT85

wow they actually manufacture some of them in Japan?

I think the first PS3 models some of them were manufactured in Japan and consumers got them if i remember correctly?

Surprised they are doing something similar with PS4 though.

Early models were yes. But iirc Foxconn wasn't as large as they are now, and Sony was still focusing around Made In Japan being a premium product. They have finally realised that if they want to compete they have to stop making everything in Japan.

Shin

Banned
35C is pretty cool, relatively.

With that temperature overheating shouldn't happen, it's rather interesting that it runs that cool.
Also people are forgetting KZ:SF, Knack and Driveclub being launch games, Sony will want to give their own games some breathing space.

So the system could very well launch mid October and 2 weeks later AC4/BF4...all IMO of course.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why would Activision care? if it is out a week before CoD, that lets some dust settle before CoD launches, and PS4 owners will still be buying consoles and looking for software.

casmith07

I think PS4 launches either October 29th worldwide, or November 19th (Watch_Dogs release date)

Honestly, BF4 and AC4 are huge enough to launch a few weeks early. Then a nice steady pace of software through the spring with KZ Shadowfall, Watch_Dogs, Infamous Second Son, etc.

casmith07

why would Activision care? if it is out a week before CoD, that lets some dust settle before CoD launches, and PS4 owners will still be buying consoles and looking for software.

Because COD is "coming first to Xbox One" (probably a week long timed exclusive).

Not good if Activision has to suffer a weeks worth of delayed potential sales.

Oublieux

Does this mean since I am importing from the US, will I just be able to use a figure 8 Australian cable to just plug in the back of the console and in the wall, and not use my step down??

Yeah, no step down just like the PS3 models. This is very fortunate for me, too :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Because COD is "coming first to Xbox One" (probably a week long timed exclusive).

Not good if Activision has to suffer a weeks worth of delayed potential sales.

then fuck em. If Sony have a partnership with ubisoft to promote AC4, and EA has BF4 coming out, and Activision is fucking them over with a week timed exclusive anyway, then why on earth would you wait?

especially as in that case you'd have to wait until after Xbox one, which you definitely don't want to do.

Launch first, sell shit loads of next-gen AC4 and BF4, build your relationship with EA and Ubisoft, and let consumers give Activision grief for being idiots with timed exclusives.

Top Bottom