• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 (consumer version) waltzes past the FCC

I can see software delaying the launch, Sony is just too good with hardware now a days. All that mini laptop development since the release of ps3 must have worked out

Aren't most electronics made in china? Cost effective and the quality is fine for non-knock off goods. Why are you guys all worked up about it :p

Not only that Foxconn is one of the largest contract manufacturer of electronics so they already have that quality seal.

On a side note. IIRC there was a feud between Japan and China recently where the Chinese stopped importing Japanese goods. With the recent lifting of the ban on the sale of consoles, what effect will this trade feud have? the Chinese market can be critical for a consumer electronic's success with the rising wealth in the country. Would it push people towards the Xbox?

Aren't most electronics made in china? Cost effective. Why are you guys all worked up about it :p

I'd prefer a model I know someone got paid a half decent wage for, honestly. That's just my personal consumerist guilt though.

Some people are scared it's going to fall apart after 6 days of use because the workers are paid 4 cents an hour and live in digital factory hell and Sony is going to be like "well we only gave you a 5 day warranty, sorry." While that does seem like some sort of karmic justice for farming out manufacturing to underpaid Chinese laborers, everyone's iphones seem to be holding up pretty ok despite being screwed around with and treated much less cautiously than the average gamer treats their console baby so I think it'll be ok. Launch model design flaw sounds much more realistic and worrisome to me.

0.5 % are just weeaboos who need a glorious nippon tier console.

Not only that Foxconn is one of the largest contract manufacturer of electronics so they already have that quality seal.

On a side note. IIRC there was a feud between Japan and China recently where the Chinese stopped importing Japanese goods. With the recent lifting of the ban on the sale of consoles, what effect will this trade feud have? the Chinese market can be critical for a consumer electronic's success with the rising wealth in the country. Would it push people towards the Xbox?
The X1 isn't even slated for release in China right now.

Well, the human aspect of their production is enough to make me prefer a Japanese production. But quality-wise I cannot highlight a major flaw for sure.
Fair enough, and I agree, but I wouldn't be pissed if my PS4 was assembled in China, either. I think people are starting to realize that that's where their phones and tablets are made and are starting to see that "Made in China" does not necessarily mean rubbish anymore.

It's like the growth of the Korean and Japanese industries in the 80s and 70s, respectively. They used to be considered crap, but that's not the case anymore, thanks to the likes of Samsung and Hyundai and Sony and Honda/Toyota.

I thought the embargo was for precious metals. And, if so, China is playing hardball with everyone for that, so no one will have an easy time making circuitry.

~~Hasan~~

Mind explaining why? I mean, I would understand the reputation aspect, but we hardly have hard data supporting it. Consoles manufactured in China this gen were very good (Rrod was a design issue).

in every Sony products " even laptops" the higher series quality laptops are made in japan. while the low end quality are made in china.

usually, the japanese made hardware is a better product in general with less chances of defects. specially when it comes to heating and lense.

even during the PS3 fat Era, some systems used to have a better cooling fan. one with 19 blades that was coming from japan "i believe / that what i was been told", the other was made in china with 16 blades fan.

the results one sounded like a jet flying when it was playing heavy games and the other dead silent.

my PS3 fat is dead silent. and i have it since 2007. didnt change a thing.

i really do want a japanese made system if its possible in general. and if there are indeed PS4s coming from japan, i will try my best to get my hands on one. even if my PS4 is chinese and i was able to find one through ebay or any site. then i would sell my chinese unit and get a japanese one.

The thought that we are now potentially just 3 months away from the next generation of Playstation is quite frankly amazing - I can't believe how far away last February already seems!

Apple Products are made in China (Designed by Apple in California™) and the build quality is pretty good.

Even most Sony products like Xperia, NEX, VAIO are made in China and they also seems great.

Sure, China have tons of knock offs, low quality products, but there are also many that maintains quality.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
ibzIvMuEdPFGD2.gif
This freaking .gif. Amazing.

nib95

Banned
one made in japan and one made in china....

if my day one console is made in china i am going to be pissed off. >_<

i want my console japanese made as i am sure the quality will be better.

Not these days dude. China has come a LONG way in manufacturing, in fact in many factories they offer better processes than the rest of the world, due to all the high end contracts that have forced them to constantly push development boundaries.

~~Hasan~~

Not these days dude. China has come a LONG way in manufacturing, in fact in many factories they offer better processes than the rest of the world, due to all the high end contracts that have forced them to constantly push development boundaries.

ok let me ask you this

if you were offered a Japanese PS4 and a Chinese PS4 on the spot and you were asked to pick one. which one honestly you would buy ? :)

i agree with you that china has come a long way,but to put an end to this. lets just say i am OCD and i will always fear my chinese PS4 dying on me lol

If they are building them both in Japan and China do we know which we get? I want a Japanese built model not a Chinese Foxcon.
The Chinese version may be in production so they can release in China (I heard they may allow it to be released of it is manufactured there).

nib95

Banned
ok let me ask you this

if you were offered a Japanese PS4 and a Chinese PS4 on the spot and you were asked to pick one. which one honestly you would buy ? :)

i agree with you that china has come a long way,but to put an end to this. lets just say i am OCD and i will always fear my chinese PS4 dying on me lol

Probably Japan, but because of stereo types I've been fed, either by the media or older historical or nostalgic grounds. The reality today is quite different. I personally don't even know if Japan is as ahead of the curve as they used to be. Far fewer products are made there. I suppose my Canon L lenses are, and they're certainly high quality.

But I'll tell you this, I'm not even at all bothered about where the PS4 I'm buying will be manufactured. I certainly won't go out to specifically get one over the other or even bother to check where my console was made tbh.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
ok let me ask you this

I'd honestly pick whichever. That's some backward thinking that were refuted by the posts above. I have a ton of electronics made in China and they're fine.

As stated above, there are knockoffs that are crap; and then there are the ones commissioned by Apple, Sony, Microsoft, etc. And they are world class quality.

Heck, I don't even check where it's made these days compared way back in the 90s.

hur .. I am wondering more about decibels tho. If it runs at 35 degrees Celsius under load, then it probably has a couple of large fans.
It is not CPU or internal temps. Operating range on the FCC form is ambient operating temperature range. Basically Sony is certifying the ps4 works in air temps between about 5 to 35 C / 40 to 95 F .

RiverBed

Banned

There are some people today still with that geo-centric mentality? ...

~~Hasan~~

Probably Japan, but because of stereo types I've been fed, either by the media or older historical or nostalgic grounds. The reality today is quite different. I personally don't even know if Japan is as ahead of the curve as they used to be. Far fewer products are made there. I suppose my Canon L lenses are, and they're certainly high quality.

this is exactly my thinking. i just like to feel safe than sorry. with all respect to our chinese friends

I'd honestly pick whichever. That's some backward thinking that were refuted by the posts above. I have a ton of electronics made in China and they're fine.

As stated above, there are knockoffs that are crap; and then there are the ones commissioned by Apple, Sony, Microsoft, etc. And they are world class quality.

Heck, I don't even check where it's made these days compared way back in the 90s.

There are some people today still with that geo-centric mentality? ...

my iphone 5 is made in china. most of my electronics are also made in china. nothing against them. but yeah i maybe have geo-centric mentality or OCD about this ?. but not as an insult to that country as you have said above, they can make a high quality products too.

i wouldn't buy any shit made in my country because i know for a fact it will be shitty product. i do no see anything wrong with wanting an american / japanese or any country that is known for for high quality products over another country. specially if i am paying the same price !!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh man, October is so close. Like two full months between now and then. It would be monumental to get next gen day one for Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4 and Watch Dogs. And CoD next gen day one too. Excite!!

Sweep14

I will be traveling to Japan during this Dec, I wonder if I purchase the PS4 from there would it be the "Made in Japan" unit?

Anyone here purchased a Vita in Japan? Is it made in Japan or China? If it's made in China then the possibilities of PS4 getting made in Japan should be quite slim.

Imho devkits are made in Japan and consumer units in China

Cheech

They use the same components. Jesus. It's not like they have multiple motherboard factories or anything. Where final assembly is done has very little bearing on actual quality.

I have had two Nissans; one Japanese built, and one built in Tennessee. The latter craps on the former in general build quality.

Final assembly location means nothing, unless you're a union employee.

I find the mindset of "X country's products are junk" to be xenophobic and borderline racist.

Taiser

They use the same components. Jesus. It's not like they have multiple motherboard factories or anything. Where final assembly is done has very little bearing on actual quality.

I have had two Nissans; one Japanese built, and one built in Tennessee. The latter craps on the former in general build quality.

Final assembly location means nothing, unless you're a union employee.

I find the mindset of "X country's products are junk" to be xenophobic and borderline racist.

4y3jIF3.jpg

Mandoric

Banned
Imho devkits are made in Japan and consumer units in China

Nope, they approved a Japanese devkit and both Japanese and Chinese consumer units.

This is standard for Sony's launches; it lets them supply Japan with a shorter turnaround, provide a slightly higher standard of fit and finish for the earliest adopters (nationalism aside, there's a gap between the quality you can demand from a contract manufacturer vs. what you can ship out yourself), have hardware engineers present at the factory to both smooth out production issues and begin refining the design for a V2, and guarantees they'll be able to at least push out a paper launch even if shipping is disrupted by weather or Foxconn fails to deliver.

DBT85

The Chinese version may be in production so they can release in China (I heard they may allow it to be released of it is manufactured there).

IF both systems are available to the public, the majority will be being made in China. It's just too expensive to make stuff in Japan which is why Sony are now heading in a direction where only the high end stuff is made in Japan, because volumes are lower and it does still offer that seal of quality. People buying high end stuff will already be paying way over the odds anyway, so made in Japan just adds another check box.

Even if they still weren't allowed to release in China, they would be being produced there.

Mung

Frankly, shitting on the quality of a country's output is political. In the 70s it was the Japanese getting shit on. Now look. If you can't beat them, call their products 'badly made'.

NHale

If the PS4 is released in September, I might as well be. No games will be ready in September because it would mean they are going gold right at this moment.

You only have to go gold 4-5 weeks before launch and during launch you can even be a little more late because you don't have to manufacture a lot of copies.

However I completely agree with you. There is no way this system is launching earlier than late October. Even their 1st party launch games are being rushed to release except for Killzone (if we believe GG) and most 3rd party would be really upset if they launch before they are ready because they are not going to release BF4 or COD earlier just for the PS4.

I do believe a late October would be a good date for MS or Sony if BF4, FIFA 14, NBA2K14 and Madden NFL 14 are ready day 1. That would be more than enough to please the big majority of people. However this discussion regarding the PS4 is probably useless because it seems John Vignocchi already spoke too much like usual and hinted at a November launch date.

FACE

Banned
"[...]teasing just what kind of horsepower sits inside the black trapezoid[...]"

This is a trapezoid:

Isosceles_trapezoid.jpg

This is a PS4:

PlayStation_Four.png

I'm not saying Sony won't be ready for Oct. 29. I'm saying they may want to wait a week until CoD is out to make Activision happy.

EDIT: Then again with the way Call of Duty is attached to Xbox here in the states, maybe PS4 launches Oct. 29th, Xbox One the next week with CoD.
But neither COD nor any next-gen game has a release date.

Just because current gen is Nov 5th doesn't mean the next-gen must match!

oh wow do we really have country of production fanboys?

Both locations are building the same product with the same components an through the same process.

GameSeeker

So far Sony has done an excellent job on the PS4 H/W, but this FCC filing points out that the Wi-Fi is 2.4GHz only, with no 5GHz support :(

It's disappointing, but I can see Sony wanting to keep costs down by not adding 5GHz antenna's/circuitry. They already have 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

On the good side, the early FCC cert means the hardware is headed for production and we should have ample supply for launch. I don't think this guarantees the launch will be early, as the software maturity will end up dictating the launch date.

oh wow do we really have country of production fanboys?

Both locations are building the same product with the same components an through the same process.
Yeah, isn't more assembly than manufacturing?

They're not making the hard drives, blu-ray drives etc, just plonking it all together, so really unless a Chinaman is incapable of soldering we should be grand.

So far Sony has done an excellent job on the PS4 H/W, but this FCC filing points out that the Wi-Fi is 2.4GHz only, with no 5GHz support :(

It's disappointing, but I can see Sony wanting to keep costs down by not adding 5GHz antenna's/circuitry. They already have 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

On the good side, the early FCC cert means the hardware is headed for production and we should have ample supply for launch. I don't think this guarantees the launch will be early, as the software maturity will end up dictating the launch date.

I could be upset about the lack 5GHz radio, but as much as I'd like a less 'noisy' spectrum to sue, my place is such that where I have my router (home office) and where I do my gaming (living room) 5GHz gets lost in between. Only 2.4GHz will get good signal....meh...

On the other topic, I agree that Sony should not jump the gun on release and risk shipping less polished software or even missing some of the third party releases. People asking for a September or early October release are insane.

I'll settle for early November at earliest.

S¡mon

Banned
then fuck em. If Sony have a partnership with ubisoft to promote AC4, and EA has BF4 coming out, and Activision is fucking them over with a week timed exclusive anyway, then why on earth would you wait?

especially as in that case you'd have to wait until after Xbox one, which you definitely don't want to do.

Launch first, sell shit loads of next-gen AC4 and BF4, build your relationship with EA and Ubisoft, and let consumers give Activision grief for being idiots with timed exclusives.
No worries. They were talking about DLC.

Raymo

I could be upset about the lack 5GHz radio, but as much as I'd like a less 'noisy' spectrum to sue, my place is such that where I have my router (home office) and where I do my gaming (living room) 5GHz gets lost in between. Only 2.4GHz will get good signal....meh...

On the other topic, I agree that Sony should not jump the gun on release and risk shipping less polished software or even missing some of the third party releases. People asking for a September or early October release are insane.

I'll settle for early November at earliest.

I recently found this technology on gaf.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ILFFS6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Faster than wifi. Works great on my pc and I am buying another pair to add more devices for HD streaming around the house.

I'm hoping for a late October release, but I don't want to get too hyped. I'm gonna be slightly let down if it's anything after the first week of November.

DieH@rd

Banned
Im happy with PS4... but they have tech available today to make it 2x more powerful.

no_and_noy-2htre5.gif

Oh well. At least its small, cheap and very nicely made [all in one APU, shitton of GDDR5].

Dinjooh

Pertaining to that frequency 2.75GHz, has it been confirmed as the clock speed for any one component?

As noted earlier in the thread by W!CKED:

This 2.75GHz figure is the WCLK of the GDDR5 interface.

GDDR5 has two clocks: One for adresses and commands (1.375GHz in PS4) and one for data (2.75GHz in PS4). You can easily do the math since Cerny mentioned several times that PS4 will have a 256Bit interface and a bandwidth of 176GB/s. You need the aforementioned clocks to reach the needed data rate of 5.5Gbps.

The WCLK of the GDDR5 interface will be the highest clock frequency of the system, CPU most likely will have 1.6GHz and GPU will have 800MHz. That's why FCC mentions it on the sheet.

Top Bottom