• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

I've said it before and I'll say it again, optical is a dying format. It doesn't carry the lossless audio of blurays these days anyways. If people really need it, they can get a $20 HDMI audio extractor.

Most people who use a PS4 have either A) TV speakers or B) an HDMI capable receiver

For headphones optical is a nice addition.

I doubt that's how their PR works. The entire September press event has to be pretty much finalized by now, video editing and all.

But I would love if Neo got all the love and the new Slim was simply shown as a new, super low cost PS4 for PlayStation Family newcomers.

More than likely what was going to happen anyways, since Neo is the big news.

For headphones optical is a nice addition.

For a very small chunk of the population. And if you have a nice DAC for headphones, you can get one of these for cheap

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019T0WTV4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

glaurung

Meh. Still looks photoshopped.
Reality is an illusion, everything you see with your real eyes is actually a photoshopped image.

The real PS4 Slim -- if you could actually perceive it -- is a two ton railway carriage, filled with rabid baboons and bat guano.

farmerboy

my PS4 (and all other devices) go into my amplifier via HDMI, which then connects to my speakers.

Me too but I've always wondered, does the amo/reciever add input lag?

When I eventually get Neo I was contemplating setting up differently to avoid adding input lag.

injurai

Banned
I'll be honest, I'm really liking it. And if I didn't I would not be nearly as chuffed as some of you what is essentially a black box.

Oh wtf I thought it was kinda ugly yesterday but that's because I thought it was just a plain square box. It's not though, it still has the slant to it like the original PS4. Nice. I like it.

DKHF

6TYaMHY.gif

It's growing on me.
Same here, it looks really good.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Reality is an illusion, everything you see with your real eyes is actually a photoshopped image.

The real PS4 Slim -- if you could actually perceive it -- is a two ton railway carriage, filled with rabid baboons and bat guano.

ROFLMAO!!

Me too but I've always wondered, does the amo/reciever add input lag?

When I eventually get Neo I was contemplating setting up differently to avoid adding input lag.

As long as you have your receiver not do any video processing (use pure mode or straight mode, it's called different things) then it doesn't add any input lag at all

neerg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, optical is a dying format. It doesn't carry the lossless audio of blurays these days anyways. If people really need it, they can get a $20 HDMI audio extractor.

Most people who use a PS4 have either A) TV speakers or B) an HDMI capable receiver

It might be the way things are going, but it's a bit of a pain as I use a dss2 for my headset which requires optical.

Looks like audio extractor it is.

Man, if this was $199 itd sell so many consoles but I'm gonna go with $249 since it's still just 500 GB inside

Black Friday will have like this with 3 games I guess for $249

Tempted but I'm still sticking to my red PS4 for now
Maybe I'll change for Neo

gamz

Man, if this was $199 itd sell so many consoles but I'm gonna go with $249 since it's still just 500 GB inside

Black Friday will have like this with 3 games I guess for $249

Tempted but I'm still sticking to my red PS4 for now
Maybe I'll change for Neo

199 isn't happening. I read that the new Xbox cost 243 to produce, so the Ps4 slim will be cheaper and 249 sounds like the sweet spot.

Arex

very sleek, me likey! looks somewhat like original wii to me, but slanted lol

Just wish the PS logo lit up or at least the disc bay or something does. :(

farmerboy

As long as you have your receiver not do any video processing (use pure mode or straight mode, it's called different things) then it doesn't add any input lag at all

Cheers I'll double check that tomorrow.

On topic, can't say I love or hate it. I reckon it's pretty neutral. What I'm really looking forward to is Neo and their respective pricing.

Would be insane if slim hit the $199 mark. No uhd in particular is making me think they just might.

I'm impressed by the size but it's still kind of ugly. Plus the loss of Optical removes a few options for my audio setup.

We'll see how the power consumption figures look.

shandy706

Looks like one of those cheap toy-store knockoffs of a real console. Kind of reminds me of PSTV (design, not size, wise) too.

Despite the looks, I just want to know the price now.

Aceofspades

Banned
I don't think they are packing the Slim/Budget PS4 with a new DS4 with new bells and whistles. Probably saving that for the Neo
Bundling a high-end DS4 with Neo is the stupidest thing Sony can do...it will jack up the price for no reason.

Premium DS4 should be sold separately.. Like elite controller.

$249 seems obvious but that's a big price cut over the current. Plus they are dominating so I think $299 with pack in games is better from a business perspective, I don't think they need to be too concerned over the 4K XB1S.

A lower price could help show the difference between itself and the Neo though, depending on how good that turns out to be.

NOOI

Banned
I don't think they are packing the Slim/Budget PS4 with a new DS4 with new bells and whistles. Probably saving that for the Neo

You never tie up peripherals with the console. The peripherals must always be available separately, as they have the best profit margins.

Seems like the light bar on the touch pad isn't a "new" light bar so much as a cut out so the light from the existing light bar is visible from the front of the controller.
$249 seems obvious but that's a big price cut over the current. Plus they are dominating so I think $299 with pack in games is better from a business perspective, I don't think they need to be too concerned over the 4K XB1S.

A lower price could help show the difference between itself and the Neo though, depending on how good that turns out to be.

Yeah, if they go to $299 and the Neo is $399 that would look a little silly, even if the slim had a bundled game and the Neo didn't. So either it'll be $399 Neo/sub-$299 slim or $499 Neo/<=$299 slim.

Dunlop

Oh, absolutely. But I don't think it looks super cheap looking. The casing reminds me of the slim PS3. I love that textured plastic look.

Which could be alarming as the PS4 has to be the worst quality console I have ever owned, looks great from afar.

Hopefully they have a way to keep it quiet, for the hate the XB1 gets here it's size makes it absolutely silent

No optical makes it an easy decision for me as my receiver doesn't have HDMI anyways lol

NOOI

Banned
Which could be alarming as the PS4 has to be the worst quality console I have ever owned, looks great from afar.

Hopefully they have a way to keep it quiet, for the hate the XB1 gets here it's size makes it absolutely silent

No optical makes it an easy decision for me as my receiver doesn't have HDMI anyways lol

But seriously, Sony didn't intend to sell you the Slim. They target the Slim for those who don't already own a PS4.

Anyone know the story behind how this happened? An unboxing video before the console is announced is pretty bizarre. Sorry if it's been posted, these threads move so quickly.

Scrawnton

Anyone know the story behind how this happened? An unboxing video before the console is announced is pretty bizarre. Sorry if it's been posted, these threads move so quickly.

Sony is going for a surprise announcement for a "buy it now" release and these systems are already in transit to stores. It's in the wild and Sony is still silent.

Top Bottom