• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

Why? Why would you do that? It's not much smaller and it actually has one less feature with the absence of the optical out. An X1S I get, but this upgrade would be a loss for current PS4 owners.

A Toslink port isn't a feature for them if they don't need it. As for why, why not? Maybe he just wants the new hardware? It doesn't really matter the reason especially if the cost is right.

They've probably done research and found buyers at this price point don't really use it. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't dropped the lan port.

Wired ethernet is still far more used than optical is, though. Plus, Sony would have to put in one hell of a wireless chip to make up for it.

Kindekuma

Banned
6TYaMHY.gif

The system is sleek as can be. I can't believe people think it's ugly. At $250 this thing is going to fly off the shelves.

Looks like an XBOX HUEG sized PSVita TV.

Dinjooh

Yeah, I see the slim selling like hot cakes. Neo and VR? Not so much.

I think the Neo will start out incredibly strong if there's enough stock for it. Much like the consoles did back in 2013. There's a hardcore following that's ready to get the newest product as soon as it gets released.

At the same time I still think the slim will outsell it. Basically, if there's stock; November NPD will be absolutely bonkers.

ViciousDS

Banned
Sony is going for a surprise announcement for a "buy it now" release and these systems are already in transit to stores. It's in the wild and Sony is still silent.

does this mean Neo's are in the wild as well? God I would love to own a Neo day one

6TYaMHY.gif

The system is sleek as can be. I can't believe people think it's ugly. At $250 this thing is going to fly off the shelves.

It's starting to grow on me....if the Neo is nearly identical but bigger.....I'll be happy

John Wick

So the word is that Neo is also releasing in September? Just like that? Boy, Sony sure is going to have a crowded hardware line-up for Fall with the Slim, Neo and VR.

Not really. I don't see PSVR as a mass market device right now. It'll be in limited supply and it'll probably sell out anyway. OG PS4 is discontinued so the Slim will become the standard PS4 at a friendly mass market price. The Neo will be the premium console with UHD Blu-ray and 4K etc.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
So, the back bay is for HDD, what's the bay on the right side?

It's the same bay. The cutout extends through the side.

You can see it better on one of photos of the other thread.

I haven't been following the thread but there is NO optical drive?!?!!

Optical audio out (spdif). The drive is at the front, next to the power/eject buttons.

ironcreed

Banned
I think the Neo will start out incredibly strong if there's enough stock for it. Much like the consoles did back in 2013. There's a hardcore following that's ready to get the newest product as soon as it gets released.

At the same time I still think the slim will outsell it. Basically, if there's stock; November NPD will be absolutely bonkers.

If it is $400, then yeah. I can see it getting off to a great start. But with the new slim being at $250, most are going to opt for that in the long run. It will ultimately cannibalize the Neo. And VR is going to be a hard sell, period.

Quotient

There's an optical drive, just no optical audio port. So HDMI is the only choice for audio on this

Thanks for the clarification.

If it is $400, then yeah. I can see it getting off to a great start. But with the new slim being at $250, most are going to opt for that in the long run. It will ultimately cannibalize the Neo. And VR is going to be a hard sell, period.

How certain are we at the $250 price point?

Mediking

I already love my original PS4... why would I even consider moving to a PS4 Slim? Does it have better specs or something???

I already love my original PS4... why would I even consider moving to a PS4 Slim? Does it have better specs or something???

If you have a PS4, there's no real reason to go to a slim. It's potentially quieter and maybe uses less power, but that's it. It's just a redesign that costs less for Sony to build

John Wick

They don't expect current owners to upgrade to the Slim. It's aimed at the price conscious mass market. The Neo is aimed at current and premium users

Dinjooh

Is this confirmed already?

Thanks for the clarification.

How certain are we at the $250 price point?

Not confirmed at all. Merely a theory based upon the PS4 being at 299 for the holidays last year, and 50 below that would be an enormous push.

I'm guessing:

Sep-Oct: 299
Nov (BF): 249
Dec: 249 with game.
Jan: 299

Didn't they do something similar last year, where it was 299 on BF and in december they included battlefront or something for the same price?

Ascenion

6TYaMHY.gif

You and I have different standards for sleek, because for me a rounded, unassuming parallelogram is not sleek. Not even close.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Base on PS+ price raise, this thing will not be $249. $299 is the lowest.

$299 makes sense as a maximum. Your reasons don't. Bundles with COD BO3 are $349.99 in stores now for regular version. I can't find the price of a non-bundled edition, but I can't imaging the console is more than $299. It should cost less unless it is a bundle in my opinion.

Raymo

At 250 the Neo would need to be 350 to avoid cannablization.

They are going to treat the Neo as a hardcore console at first. If slim is $250, I think Neo will be $400. A lot of early adopters will get the neo at $400. Not an issue at all.

However, if they price the slim as $300, that makes me think that the Neo will be $450-500. There's just no way there is going to be less than a $150 gap between the consoles.

Finalow

I very much prefer the white PS4 I have right now.

regarding the *new* controller, is it really just the same thing but with a second light? Who asked for that, and why. another pointless light which is just going to drain more battery? Clearly what everyone wanted.

ironcreed

Banned
You and I have different standards for sleek, because for me a rounded, unassuming parallelogram is not sleek. Not even close.

I don't know. I just think it looks very sexy and lean, with some trimmed edges. And that all black matte finish with the PS logo in the middle just sets it off. I like it much more than the OG, but I am still content with what I have.

SenkiDala

Sony go for maximum profit is the relation.

Please... Stop with this bs, MS Gold is 60 USD since 6 years and people are over it now...

You know a company going for minimum profit? Come on...

Anyway, to me the smartest move would be 249, being the cheapest/most powerful console on the market, once again. 299 would still sell very very well though. Why not 279?

I very much prefer the white PS4 I have right now.

regarding the *new* controller, is it really just the same thing but with a second light? Who asked for that, and why. another pointless light which is just going to drain more battery? Clearly what everyone wanted.

It's like nobody reads anymore

It's not a second light. It's just a transparent strip on the touchpad that illuminates from the same LED

Azerare

They've probably done research and found buyers at this (presumably lower) price point don't really use it. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't dropped the lan port.
Hahaha... I hope that was a joke because it was sure funny. Wired ethernet is still necessary especially with the ps4s mediocre wifi chip.

StereoVsn

A Toslink port isn't a feature for them if they don't need it. As for why, why not? Maybe he just wants the new hardware? It doesn't really matter the reason especially if the cost is right.
This will be built on smaller node process so it offers a few inherent advantages.
- Quieter
- Runs cooler
- Less power use potentially
- Improved WiFi (rumored, not related to node shrink)
- Possibly resolved the thermal paste issues

This will also have a new warranty and a new controller. Let's say if this is $250, I traded in my PS4 for $200, so it's only about $50 for the difference, might come with a bundled game and I can always get HDMI/Optical splitter if I really need it. If it's $300, there will be deals on BF.

Top Bottom