• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

Regardless, the only difference between the OG PS4 and the slim then becomes the size and that's not even that great of a difference. Everyone is allowed to do what they want with their money, but there's really no value here to switch ps4's. Save that difference and put it towards a NEO.

But if it's anything like trade in deals with the X1S, you'll be paying a difference of about $150 to upgrade? You wouldn't even see that reduction of energy costs in a year with the PS4 slim. Seriously, it makes more sense just to hold out for the NEO.

The slim benefits Playstation as much as it does the players. The company saves on cost of building it and the savings should be passed on to the players. I am sure there are plenty who will buy the slim for the form factor and other benefits, such as lower energy consumption and noise. However for others who demand more performance, such as you and I, the Neo is the way to go. They are covering all bases.

Finalow

It's like nobody reads anymore

It's not a second light. It's just a transparent strip on the touchpad that illuminates from the same LED
oh right, that changes everything.
wait, it changes nothing. besides maybe the fact that it won't drain more battery? It's still a pointless light no one asked for, and I was asking if that was the only difference.

ValeYard

It's great that there is an alternative, but that doesn't change that us Astro and Turtle Beach users would prefer a direct connection and not having to buy an adapter. Not that I'm bothered about this console personally. If the Neo has no optical, I would be, even though my TV has a passthrough. (Some passthroughs like one of my monitors only let stereo and not 5.1 through.)

Of course, optical is old and not up to date regarding the newest codecs, but that doesn't make it obsolete yet. With the widespread usage of headsets, I bet you're lowballing the use of the optical port in your posts though Transistor ;).

However, in a nutshell, if you use optical and get this console, you can get an adapter or use a passthrough (on TV if available or receiver).

Hahaha... I hope that was a joke because it was sure funny. Wired ethernet is still necessary especially with the ps4s mediocre wifi chip.

Maybe for hardcore gamers. The casual audience isn't set up for wired ethernet behind their TV, and if they are, it's probably one connection and already being utilized by something like an Apple TV.

They've probably done research and found buyers at this (presumably lower) price point don't really use it. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't dropped the lan port.

I doubt they will drop the lan anytime so. Wifi is pretty bad for multiplayer. I personally use homeplugs wherever it is possible.

-griffy-

Banned
Still don't get why everyone thinks this thing is straight up ugly. It's completely inoffensive, extremely minimalist design. Like, it essentially can't be categorized as great or horrendous.

Straight up ugly with garish design is like N64, or Sega Nomad, or OG PS3, or OG XBO to a certain extent, or those shitty fake console things for preschoolers with not-game games, or like every third party controller made in the 90's/00's.

Ethelwulf

Still don't get why everyone thinks this thing is straight up ugly. It's completely inoffensive, extremely minimalist design. Like, it essentially can't be categorized as great or horrendous.

Straight up ugly with garish design is like N64, or Sega Nomad, or OG PS3, or OG XBO to a certain extent, or those shitty fake console things for preschoolers with not-game games, or like every third party controller made in the 90's/00's.

Tastes. People tend to generalize their taste as everybody's. Gaf rule 237.

vpance

MS messed up by making a slightly premium slim model. Now they'll be caught in between a cheap ass 4Slim likely hitting $249 and the Neo for over a year.

Maybe for hardcore gamers. The casual audience isn't set up for wired ethernet behind their TV, and if they are, it's probably one connection and already being utilized by something like an Apple TV.

Just use these Homeplug devices to connect through your house's electric wiring. Works way better than wireless.

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Linksys-PowerLine-PLSK400-bridge-wall-pluggable/2593970.aspx?cm_cat=GoogleBase&cm_ite=2593970&cm_pla=NA-NA-LNK_WI&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=V2FbKwAAALG9ew54:20160823150353:s&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6O-9BRDjhYXH2bOb8Z4BEiQAWRduk5J8IkJj9jlsw9fpJ1hokbUSO0c1UFO9eO-ElYeaD7kaAj808P8HAQ&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!61836302419!!!g!18283950120!

At a lower price, this model is going into kids bedrooms and basements and such. Places where wired connections just aren't very accessible.

Not necessarily. There's a lot of people who probably want PS4s, but they were just too expensive and out of their budget. This will give them a price point to jump in on

It kind of sucks to know that at least 50 dollars of the price tag of the Neo is contributed by the addition of a controller in the box. Which, 50 plus million people already have. And those who don't, can probably obtain elsewhere second hand for much cheaper.

They could simply not include a controller, and reduce the overall cost of the product. Or use that 50 to 70 dollars from not having to include a controller and use it to upgrade the hardware components.

I have absolutely on need for yet another Dual Shock 4. Hm, don't know if anyone else feels that way.

But for the slim I can see why they need to include a controller, I don't think there is too much overlap between those who own an OG PS4 and those who want to buy a PS4 Slim.

SPEA

is that a triforce on the back??
FoXJjWa.png

#itshappening

It kind of sucks to know that at least 50 dollars of the price tag of the Neo is contributed by the addition of a controller in the box. Which, 50 plus million people already have. And those who don't, can probably obtain elsewhere second hand for much cheaper.

They could simply not include a controller, and and reduce the overall cost of the product. Or use that 50 to 70 dollars from not having to include a controller and use it to upgrade the hardware components.

I have absolutely on need for yet another Dual Shock 4. Hm, don't know if anyone else feels that way.

The BoM on the controller is well under $50, so it doesn't add as much price as you think

They could simply not include a controller, and and reduce the overall cost of the product. Or use that 50 to 70 dollars from not having to include a controller and use it to upgrade the hardware components.

This is eerily close to the whole no need for chargers with the new 3ds...

OmegaFax

I am sold on the smaller model. If there is a trade-in promotion or I can get a decent price for my CUH-1200 PS4, I might jump over.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
People should just accept that the PS4 slim doesn't have: UHD support, Optical Audio Out and that the new Dualshock 4 has a small transparent strip on the touchpad to show the color of the light.

Yeah....no

Just check the thread where people thought that the XB1 S came without a controller. This mass products aren't supposed to create confusion or more work to costumers.

You're supposed to buy the thing, go home, plug it and play.

Cc23830

They could simply not include a controller, and reduce the overall cost of the product. Or use that 50 to 70 dollars from not having to include a controller and use it to upgrade the hardware components.

Never thought of that as i own 3 already and will be selling my OG ps4 in a couple of weeks and keeping 2 of the dualshocks

Speak for yourself. I would not buy a console that did not come with a controller. It would be insulting.

Besides, not every Neo owner will have owned a PS4 and many who do still would like a brand new controller.

Likewise many people will sell or have sold their existing ps4 for Neo.

Xenoflare

Is it me or are the materials on the analog sticks look a bit different? Hopefully it means it doesn't wear off that easily then

John Wick

Please... Stop with this bs, MS Gold is 60 USD since 6 years and people are over it now...

You know a company going for minimum profit? Come on...

Anyway, to me the smartest move would be 249, being the cheapest/most powerful console on the market, once again. 299 would still sell very very well though. Why not 279?

If they release this at $249 it's game over. The Slim looks cheap and Sony have made it very cost effective for themselves. This would destroy sales holiday time

The slim benefits Playstation as much as it does the players. The company saves on cost of building it and the savings should be passed on to the players. I am sure there are plenty who will buy the slim for the form factor and other benefits, such as lower energy consumption and noise. However for others who demand more performance, such as you and I, the Neo is the way to go. They are covering all bases.
That's great. I'm just saying as responsible person making an income, if you already have a PS4 there is no reason to buy this slim. The difference you would pay from selling your current PS4 or trading it in for the S would have better value being applied to a NEO. you gain nothing by getting the slim except about a centimeter of height. And let's say you spent $150 on the difference to upgrade, you wouldn't Make that money back in energy costs with power efficiency in the year before the NEO came out.

Top Bottom