• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

I wonder, will they discontinue the OG PS4 and this is going to replace it?

Im basically wondering what the cheapest available PS4 will be around the release of Horizon?

Im basically wondering what the cheapest available PS4 will be around the release of Horizon?

This is definitely replacing the OG PS4. This is not just smaller, but cheaper for them to manufacture, too.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I'm guessing the old models will be slowly phased out for this newer slim model.

So you'll possibly be able to find a few decent firesales on the OG model, but i'm guessing the PS4 Slim is going to come with a pricecut as well.

NOOI

Banned

There had already been rumours that OG PS4 had already stopped being available to distributors and thus, they are probably no longer being made. This is the 4th time around that Sony had released a slim console, you should know what they do with it by now.

If you want the ABSOLUTE cheapest PS4? Get an OG PS4 PHAT, 2nd hand refurbished from your local videogame shop. But wait until the Slim officially got released to ensure the best possible discount.

AFAICT, this is just a PS4 shrunk down to 16nm

ps4-slim-vs-ps4-comparison-image-2.jpg

How on earth did they shrink it down to such a small size?

Looks great. Think I'll be holding off for the Neo though.

Expecting £249 price in the UK for the slim.

One thing that's bugging me though is having the eject button in front of the disk tray. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to give their heads a shake. I'm guessing it's far enough to the side to not interfere with the actual disk.

It was in front of the disc tray on the fat and slim PS3. It takes, like, 4 seconds for the disc to eject. Just hit it and move your finger.

kennyamr

Finally a video that makes it justice.
Looks really awesome.
The controllers' usual torn rubber thumbsticks problem may finally be gone too.
Good news.

Putty

Mass market will lap this up in droves!...Optical out/4K etc etc....not a mass market feature set....Want that? Buy a Neo...Sony no doubt did what research they needed to as regard optical out and clearly though the vast majority won't use it so saved some pennies. With Neo coming as the premium device Sony they really are in a sumptuous position. Still saying $249/£229.99. At the end of the day first and foremost it's a gaming machine pure and simple...Sony obviously know this. It also happens to be the most powerful one currently available and will be for the foreseeable future....and will be priced cheaper than it's main competitor.

GeNoMe

I keep laughing at all the people who keep yelling that they placed another lightbar in the controller.

Skux

I keep laughing at all the people who keep yelling that they placed another lightbar in the controller.

Is it even another light? Seems like they could just slice a hole in the touchpad and the light would come through from below.

GeNoMe

Is it even another light? Seems like they could just slice a hole in the touchpad and the light would come through from below.

It's the same lightbar, there's just a new slit on the top end of the touchpad.
I'm just hoping that they put in a more heavy duty battery pack.

Head.spawn

So what is the theory on this being leaked this early... is it possible they're going to have that conference/meeting on September 7th and then go, "Go buy it, in-stores NOW!". Having orders ship out early is one thing, but consoles going out before they're even announced has got to be unprecedented, right?

NOOI

Banned
So what is the theory on this being leaked this early... is it possible they're going to have that conference/meeting on September 7th and then go, "Go buy it, in-stores NOW!". Having orders ship out early is one thing, but consoles going out before they're even announced has got to be unprecedented, right?

Nah, Apple does it, and Sony outright said they were copying Apple.

Keep in mind that the OG PS4 is no longer being made, and that new PS4 is still being sold every week, and you can see that Sony can't afford to suddenly not have any consoles available to sell. They had to ship the slim models because they have to ship SOMETHING. It would be silly if we end up with PS4 shortage for a whole week while we wait for the shipping companies to send the new hardware down the pipeline.

ChryZ

They should take the 16nm parts and use them in the original model. The cooling should be overkill and result in a pretty quiet console. I'd prefer that "feature" over reduced size.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the front touchpad light serves the same purpose as the light that used to be on top of the PS4. I always found that dead handy when on the PC and I start a download off on the website you can see the light flashing to let you know it's actually started downloading. Maybe it does it on the DS4 touchpad instead now ?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
There had already been rumours that OG PS4 had already stopped being available to distributors and thus, they are probably no longer being made. This is the 4th time around that Sony had released a slim console, you should know what they do with it by now.

If you want the ABSOLUTE cheapest PS4? Get an OG PS4 PHAT, 2nd hand refurbished from your local videogame shop. But wait until the Slim officially got released to ensure the best possible discount.

I wouldn't go to GameStop. Your savings will probably be $2 under the slim model. If that!

mulac

This looks great.

I can see me selling my OG PS4 and picking up a Slim for my upstairs study 1080p tv and the Neo as my main console hooked up to big 4k tv.

Daymnn Sony, take my money.

Hermii

The two things I care about are:

1. How is the noise
2. How is the wireless?

If its exactly like the base model, this is a pointless upgrade to me.

GlamFM

Banned
Would consider it if it had USB ports on the back, but no.

I really, really hope the NEO will have that.

Makes no sense to me.

anderedna

I was worried for a bit since no optical port which I'm using to connect to receiver directly. Turns out that my TV can pass 5.1 audio through it's optical out.

So [PS4] -- HDMI --> [TV] -- optical --> [receiver]

Hopefully audio won't degrade that much.

Top Bottom